Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blaziken386 posted:

By that do you mean you want one, or that you are also offering them?
I would like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

That Old Ganon posted:

I would like one.
Alrighty then. Signature has FC and all that, gimme a sec to get online.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Things SuMo does better than the rest of the series:
  • Interesting environments
  • Charming characters
  • Totem fights
  • No HMs
  • Probably my favorite starters ever

Things SuMo does worse than the rest of the series
  • Everything else. Like really, more than any game in the series it encapsulates GF's one step forward two steps back mentality. For every experimental feature that just didn't work like Festival Plaza there's another distinctly anti-fun one like SOS or Battle Royal. SuMo is a really lovable game that tries really hard not to be sometimes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

The main thing about Battle Royal is that tanky is way better than fast. If you're fast, then at best you kill one guy and then get ganged up on by the other two. If you're tanky, then they'll completely ignore you and gang up on someone else. They'll always go for the OHKO kill if they can, so if you have a glass cannon on the field then you will always be the weakest link. As far as I can tell, the AI doesn't cheat against you at all, even on the highest levels; they just play strategically to win (and have better EVs, etc). You have to recognize what they'll do and try to predict it. If you can guess who they'll target and know that you're slower than them, you just target someone else and get a free kill.

Sometimes you'll just get unlucky with enemy types, but I feel like your stats matter significantly less in Royal than in the tree. You just have to know your enemy more than usual.

You don't win just by tanking though :v: I tried to use Snorlax for a while and lived with all 3 Pokémon.. but I never got a single KO since they always got finished off before it was my turn.

That said, I just managed to beat the highest difficulty! It was... pure luck.

e: hey at least I got a fancy Battle Style :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 26, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
so tapu koko-

you can knock him out during the festival battle and then just go back later on and fight again with saves so you can save-scum? Is that right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Your Computer posted:

You don't win just by tanking though :v: I tried to use Snorlax for a while and lived with all 3 Pokémon.. but I never got a single KO since they always got finished off before it was my turn.

That said, I just managed to beat the highest difficulty! It was... pure luck.

I see tanky as the opposite of Fast, not Strong. Preferably you'd still want to be able to OHKO them, you just don't want to make yourself a target. I found Golisopod pretty good because a) it has access to a number of Priority moves, b) it's tanky enough for them to ignore most of the time, and c) Liquidation is enough to kill some of the tankier types that won't be targeted by other participants.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

As far as I can tell, the AI doesn't cheat against you at all, even on the highest levels; they just play strategically to win (and have better EVs, etc).

Is this documented? The AI is known to have cheated in the Battle Royal/Tree-equivalents in past games. I'd be surprised if this one were any different.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Just beat the game. Mimikyu was probably the strongest member of my team. It had a free turn to set up, and has decent bulk with great defensive typing. Also switching it in when the AI was obviously gonna use their Z-move never got old. :laugh:

On the other hand, Crabominable was so utterly worthless, even when I traded it to someone else to get it to evolve earlier. It can hit really hard, assuming it actually gets the chance. Which rarely happens, because most trainers have at least 1 move that is super effective against one of the worst defensive type combinations in the game. And it's not even that bulky to justify the low speed. I was nearly tempted to bench it for the box legendary.

Gotta say, wasn't on board with the excessive amount of cutscenes and handholding at first, but it stopped soon enough. I think this might have dethroned Black and White as my favorite Pokemon games. The experience was a lot more refreshing with how much got changed up. The characters actually grew on me, unlike the gang in XY that will remain nameless. The difficulty was a pleasant surprise too, given how easy XY and ORAS were. The story is definitely a lot better than BW's, which was fairly decent, but had a few holes in it if you thought about it too hard.

With that said, SOS battles are needlessly annoying. Either make it so that they only trigger with an Adrenaline Orb, or so that you can still catch Pokemon with more than 1 on the field. Either of those would have made them far more tolerable. Also did they really have to make the new Pokemon really hard to find in nearly every area? Like there's a good mix of old Pokemon, but I wouldn't have minded if you encountered those slightly less often. It would be nice if the Gen VII Pokemon weren't locked to a 5% encounter rate. Trials were kind of neat, but wild Pokemon aren't as compelling to fight as trainers were. Definitely liked the Totem Pokemon though, even if some of them were utterly trivial if you had the right team. Nearly every trainer having only one Pokemon also stuck out to me. Like, there couldn't have been a few more trainers with more than that?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 26, 2016

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blaziken386 posted:

Alrighty then. Signature has FC and all that, gimme a sec to get online.
Please accept the last of my mystery eggs as thanks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Is this documented? The AI is known to have cheated in the Battle Royal/Tree-equivalents in past games. I'd be surprised if this one were any different.

Well, I don't know if their stats or movepools are cheating, I just meant that they don't coordinate with each other to make the player lose. They each individually try to win for themselves, which you can take advantage of.

As in, it's actually a free-for-all and not secretly a 1v3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Your Computer posted:

Enjoy doing Type Matchup over and over :v:

You're not even constrained by the amount of type knowledge you have, you're constrained by how fast you can mash through textboxes!

This is somehow still a huge improvement over talking to guests that refuse to give requests and engaging in online features, because at least I can actually get FC now...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the ice crab would be so freakin good if it were fast and frail instead of slow and semi-bulky

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I can trade someone my Charjabug and Crabrawler so they can be evolved, that would be great

4957-3172-3374.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Uh, no. There has been absolutely no evidence of this in the past few games. Like the AI in the battle facilities there is actually pretty dumb and exploitable. Smogon even goes into detail on how the Battle Maison AI worked. I mean there are cases of illegal movesets sometimes, but they can't actually do something like rig the battle mechanics in their favor.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Things SuMo does better than the rest of the series:
  • Interesting environments
  • Charming characters
  • Totem fights
  • No HMs
  • Probably my favorite starters ever

Things SuMo does worse than the rest of the series
  • Everything else. Like really, more than any game in the series it encapsulates GF's one step forward two steps back mentality. For every experimental feature that just didn't work like Festival Plaza there's another distinctly anti-fun one like SOS or Battle Royal. SuMo is a really lovable game that tries really hard not to be sometimes.

I would add Poke Pelago to the list of good features, if only for the berry growing island. It's the best implementation of that particular mechanic since it was first introduced in Gen 2.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

That Old Ganon posted:

Please accept the last of my mystery eggs as thanks.
Thanks for the mystery egg in a Beast Ball.
I shall name him Pudding.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Well, I don't know if their stats or movepools are cheating, I just meant that they don't coordinate with each other to make the player lose. They each individually try to win for themselves, which you can take advantage of.

As in, it's actually a free-for-all and not secretly a 1v3.

Ah, I was referring more to RNG cheats. Anecdotally I've never had a Battle Royal fight where the enemy didn't gang up on me exclusively but I didn't consider they might be programmed that way, either I'm unlucky or I was a tempting target.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SHARPEDO, gently caress YEAH

Also, I'm getting annoyed every time I pick up a cool TM and none of my team can learn the move what the gently caress. No Shadow Ball, no Wild Charge, no Thunder Wave or Smart Strike. My Ribombee is constantly over levelled cause it's the only thing I have to really catch Pokemon with cause none of my team really learn any good status moves!

Also, I wish the middle stage starters were actually useful instead of just meh like always. They're always really bland too and don't learn many interesting moves, so I always feel like there's no variety with them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Deified Data posted:

All I know is that if something is faster than me and uses rock slide, I will get flinched, 100% of the time, every time. :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the other hand, Crabominable was so utterly worthless, even when I traded it to someone else to get it to evolve earlier. It can hit really hard, assuming it actually gets the chance. Which rarely happens, because most trainers have at least 1 move that is super effective against one of the worst type combinations in the game. And it's not even that bulky to justify the low speed. I was nearly tempted to bench it for the box legendary.
I evolved it in the game-intended progression, and I swear it actually got worse after evolving. Whatever stats it boosted are more than nullified by adding the lovely, lovely ice type to it.

Countblanc posted:

the ice crab would be so freakin good if it were fast and frail instead of slow and semi-bulky
Basically this.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blaziken386 posted:

Thanks for the mystery egg in a Beast Ball.
I shall name him Pudding.
It took few attempts to catch a female one with a Beast Ball, even with Parasect's Spore/False Swipe :pwn:

At least he'll be appreciated.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Solumin posted:

I would add Poke Pelago to the list of good features, if only for the berry growing island. It's the best implementation of that particular mechanic since it was first introduced in Gen 2.

I wasn't sure where to put Poke Pelago. I agree the berry farming is the best in the series - it's like a portable farm you can carry with you without having to remember where you planted everything. But there's others like the EV training island that are so inferior to what its replacing (super training) that I wasn't comfortable including it as a net plus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Ah, I was referring more to RNG cheats. Anecdotally I've never had a Battle Royal fight where the enemy didn't gang up on me exclusively but I didn't consider they might be programmed that way, either I'm unlucky or I was a tempting target.

I don't think there's any randomness in who they target at all. As I said, they always go for the OHKO, or if they can't do that then whatever will do the most damage (this lines up with what Fetus just posted about the AI in previous games). Which is why I recommend tanky mons: it's not about surviving a hit, it's about making yourself an unattractive target that will never be hit. The AI will gladly kill each other when they can, which can make your job easier if you play your cards right.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play super casually, and being able to just load up pokemon into poke pelago with 24 hours of berries and ignoring them is kind of awesome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I play super casually, and being able to just load up pokemon into poke pelago with 24 hours of berries and ignoring them is kind of awesome.

That's my problem I guess - I'm pretty into it right now, so the Pokemon I want to train are the same ones I want to play with. I don't want to EV train someone I wouldn't miss.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I evolved it in the game-intended progression, and I swear it actually got worse after evolving. Whatever stats it boosted are more than nullified by adding the lovely, lovely ice type to it.

It actually loses 20 base speed upon evolving. So yes, it gets worse. :suicide:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Right now I'm trying to assemble a decent post game team that is EVed/Natured well enough to also be used in competitive. I know how important fragile speedsters are ingame over coherent full teams, so I'm just raising up what will be team parts of sweepers in the future but will hopefully function ingame as a cobbled-together hyper offense team.

Who should I bother with next? Right now I have Raichu, Ninetales and Zydog on deck. Considering one of the Tapus. (I haven't gone Ub farming yet)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

how could you abandon this pure creature

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Woo got a 3* Navy Blue Dye Shop. This is especially useful as my postgame outfit is navy blue.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'll be online, just send me your FC and nickname you want. I'll be in the plaza.

4081-5905-8562
In game Stephen

2105-8771-2927
Jarogue

You pick the nickname I like seeing what people come up with.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blackheart posted:

I want one :(

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Countblanc posted:

icetype.txt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blackheart posted:

he dies to everything, and the pre-evo is way better looking

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Your Computer posted:

Unless you want your stuff to be pastel green you gotta find a Green★★★ or higher too. I've been looking for a Red dye shop since the game came out and still haven't gotten a guest with anything higher than 1 star.

I found a Green★★★ almost immediately. Sorry about your RNG problems. :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Battle Royale cheats.

Right now I used Thunder on a full health Pokémon, it brought it to like 2% HP and then another Pokémon finished it off with a weakass Not Very Effective move. On the same turn. In other words, they chose to attack it with that move when it was at full HP. Could they have predicted that I would use Thunder and that it wouldn't kill but bring the Pokémon to 2%? Sure. Have you ever seen them predict like that? Nah.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there any way to stop SOS calls from working? For some reason I'm fine with killing three zubats in a row in three distinct battles, but hate when a zubat calls down a second zubat, who calls a third zubat when I finish off the first one.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

please age up the main characters in the obligatory sequel so I can be more fashionable

I liked the Black and White protagonists a lot. I want teenage characters again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I wish Crabominable wasn't so terrible :(
It's hard being an Ice-type fan :negative:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is there any way to stop SOS calls from working? For some reason I'm fine with killing three zubats in a row in three distinct battles, but hate when a zubat calls down a second zubat, who calls a third zubat when I finish off the first one.

Paralyze/sleep/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone got a HA Sandshrew? I have HA Vulpix, and I guess I can also breed HA Gible now thanks to cheetah0701 :shobon:

4897 - 7314 - 5821