Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I once advocated for a separate battery powered tools thread but later realized, this is that thread, it was just misnamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

BeastOfExmoor posted:

All sizes or just the sizes used in things like deck screws? What do you do out of curiosity?

BTW, the Milwaukee set is a black friday thing. They may be on sale through the weekend, but if you're set on them I'd order one for pickup today.

I deal a lot with hydraulic motors and air cylinders, so they're super useful for breaking loose old rusted out set screws on bearings and shaft couplers. Air cylinder mounts are usually hex head screws that tend to lock up.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

Christ is there any way to avoid or shorten the rechargeable tool talk? Page after goddamn page of Makita vs dewalt

Just loving buy one already, if you don't like it return it. If you're a home user you'll never push them to their limits anyways, if you're a contractor you'll have your own opinions.

How much time are you guys even spending more than 20 feet from an outlet? Just buy corded tools as you need them. If your jobs are small enough that they can be handled by a plastic thing you can hold in one hand, it's a small job. Buy whatever. You won't be able to buy batteries and chargers to match eventually anyways, they're consumer goods with a calculated lifetime.

Face it, your rechargeable tools are going to spend 99.99% of the next ten years collecting dust on the workbench in your garage. Eventually you'll buy some new ones, from whatever is available then.

They're all made in the same factory anyways.

Ran out of Lexapro on the long holiday weekend. Bummer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Uncle Enzo posted:

I own plenty of tools that outlived their original owners. Rechargeable tools won't. They were designed not to.

Tools: Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee: Just pick one Jesus

Lookit you sneaking bosch in there, almost as if they were a real brand

Tools: Battery Powered Toys For Adults

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

Tools: Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee: Just pick one Jesus

Red Jesus is better than Blue Jesus!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Lookit you sneaking bosch in there, almost as if they were a real brand

Tools: Battery Powered Toys For Adults

Geez, he included Milwaukee, might as well include harbor fright or just about anything really, even Hitachi.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

IOwnCalculus posted:

Red Jesus is better than Blue Jesus!

I prefer Yellow Jesus.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Teal Jesus.

Wow, gently caress that guy. White Jesus!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Anyone know any good Cyber Monday Jesus deals?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm trying to decide which impact driver bit set to buy. I had my eye on this DeWalt set, but picked up this Milwaukee for much cheaper today at Home Depot. Looking at what each set includes, it appears that the DeWalt focuses on the core phillips on torx sizes (14 #2 phillips bits, in total, for instance) whereas the Milwaukee set spreads things includes a wider range of bits including hex bits. I can't recall ever seeing screws I'd want to use an impact on with with hex or weird sized torx, so my inclination is to go for the DeWalt, but I'd appreciate some opinions from some more experienced users.

I ran into this recently, building a retaining wall. Driving 10 inch timber wall screws with a [chinesium] T35 bit and my 15 year old corded drill. Despite a max speed of 850 RPM, it jumped a lot.

When given a choice, I always opt for square-drive (#2 Robertson) screws. Hex-head rarely fails me.

I wouldn't avoid either, per se, but stocking up on Phillips or Torx seems like a not awesome use of my limited storage space. YMMV

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You can pry my corded drill from my cold, dead hands. gently caress drilling holes in metal on a battery.

My corded drills had hair on their balls when all of you were still in pre-school.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Uncle Enzo posted:

How much time are you guys even spending more than 20 feet from an outlet? Just buy corded tools as you need them. If your jobs are small enough that they can be handled by a plastic thing you can hold in one hand, it's a small job. Buy whatever. You won't be able to buy batteries and chargers to match eventually anyways, they're consumer goods with a calculated lifetime.

I do really wish that the tool makers would sell a AV to battery slot adapter for those times you're using a tool inside or when your batteries run out. There are a lot of tools I'd consider buying if I knew I could run them endlessly near an outlet, but swap in a battery when desired.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I do really wish that the tool makers would sell a AV to battery slot adapter for those times you're using a tool inside or when your batteries run out. There are a lot of tools I'd consider buying if I knew I could run them endlessly near an outlet, but swap in a battery when desired.

There are often crappy non-OEM versions of these available, but I don't run out of battery often enough to warrant burning my house down with the ryobi version.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's been explained to me, probably in this thread, that such a device would be wildly expensive, due to..... electricity stuff. I forget. But yeah, apparently it's not as easy as it seems like it would be.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

It's been explained to me, probably in this thread, that such a device would be wildly expensive, due to..... electricity stuff. I forget. But yeah, apparently it's not as easy as it seems like it would be.

AC to DC conversion would just be absurd. I guess that's the issue.

edit

Hubis posted:

Knock yourself/your circuit out http://www.instructables.com/id/Cordless-Power-Tool-Conversion-18VDC-to-120240VAC/

But basically, you need a device capable of stepping down 120V to 18V and providing somewhere around 2-3A of current. This isn't impossible -- the computer you are reading this on probably has a very similar such circuit in it (perhaps even beefier if you're using a GaMiNg RiG) but those things are not cheap, to be sure.

They do, don't they. This changes everything!

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 27, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Slugworth posted:

Knock yourself/your circuit out http://www.instructables.com/id/Cordless-Power-Tool-Conversion-18VDC-to-120240VAC/

But basically, you need a device capable of stepping down 120V to 18V and providing somewhere around 2-3A of current. This isn't impossible -- the computer you are reading this on probably has a very similar such circuit in it (perhaps even beefier if you're using a GaMiNg RiG) but those things are not cheap, to be sure.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Is... that guy really using a type A normal-rear end AC plug to connect the "pack" to the AC>DC supply box?

At least use powerpole or something that you can't just plug into a wall because you're not paying 100% attention and realize you're actually holding a battery operated tool instead of a corded one.... yipes

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

Is... that guy really using a type A normal-rear end AC plug to connect the "pack" to the AC>DC supply box?

At least use powerpole or something that you can't just plug into a wall because you're not paying 100% attention and realize you're actually holding a battery operated tool instead of a corded one.... yipes
... Yeah...

I wonder if anyone has ever done a "worst of instructibles" type list

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm no electromagician, but a device to turn 120v AC line power to whatever flavor of DC is literally contained in the battery charger. Couldn't you repackage the guts from a charger into a battery form factor with a regular power cord?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not nearly a high enough power rate. There's a reason it takes 10 minutes to discharge, but 3 hours to charge, a battery.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Cheap/limited/crappy stuff, but the Matrix/Bolt On multitool was nice for this. Got the cordless body and a few attachments on sale way back, then got the corded body for cheap after running out of battery a few times (...and now looking into cheap big rear end third party battery packs that hopefully won't kill me). I think the rated speeds for stuff are slightly lower for the corded body but not a big deal in my use at least.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

I'm no electromagician, but a device to turn 120v AC line power to whatever flavor of DC is literally contained in the battery charger. Couldn't you repackage the guts from a charger into a battery form factor with a regular power cord?

There's also the issue of safety. Plug-in tools are rated differently for things like conductor insulation and shorts than battery powered tools, for example, because you have conductors connected to a 120V source in there rather than a completely isolated device. In theory it's probably justy as safe most of the time, but if you ever got a short in your power supply you'd suddenly be in a lot more danger because it's not designed to avoid energizing metal parts, etc.

Anyways, yeah. Not that holding a Li battery isn't a form of dangerous insanity in it's own way.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

They do, don't they. This changes everything!

If I understand the ratings right, a 500W PC power supply could (in theory) step down from 120 and deliver 42A over it's 12V rails. There are probably specifics t hat make that not true (like them not being able to deliver all the current over a single split) but that's the ballpark.

Actually, your average laptop power brick delivers something like 40-75W as 12VDC, which comes out to around 3-1/3 to 6-1/4 A. That's pretty much exactly what you'd want for a tool plug.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So do you feel it's better to have a massive ATX wall wart and however many metres of 18v cable, or put the transformer where the battery should be, adding weight to the tool? Either way it's a poor compromise to get around the 1 in 100 situations where 2 4or5 Ah batteries won't suffice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hubis posted:

There's also the issue of safety. Plug-in tools are rated differently for things like conductor insulation and shorts than battery powered tools, for example, because you have conductors connected to a 120V source in there rather than a completely isolated device. In theory it's probably justy as safe most of the time, but if you ever got a short in your power supply you'd suddenly be in a lot more danger because it's not designed to avoid energizing metal parts, etc.

Yeah my wife was telling me one of her friends had her husband convert their battery powered baby swing into a plug in.

I told her I'd rather keep buying AA batteries rather than immolate my baby

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A baby swing is much different. A lower current, lower voltages, etc. I (and I bet, most people here) have no qualms replacing a few C or D cells with a bit of dowel and a 6VDC wall wart (I 3D print the "dowel"). gently caress batteries on stationary plastic garbage.

I've got three sets of P cool Christmas tree lights that are running off of converted 5VDC phone charging bricks.

bigclivedotcom is an excellent go-to when it comes to DC projects like that, especially with lighting. I think he has an LED fetish.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hubis posted:

If I understand the ratings right, a 500W PC power supply could (in theory) step down from 120 and deliver 42A over it's 12V rails. There are probably specifics t hat make that not true (like them not being able to deliver all the current over a single split) but that's the ballpark.

Actually, your average laptop power brick delivers something like 40-75W as 12VDC, which comes out to around 3-1/3 to 6-1/4 A. That's pretty much exactly what you'd want for a tool plug.

Fine. But how do you get it to 88mph?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

So do you feel it's better to have a massive ATX wall wart and however many metres of 18v cable, or put the transformer where the battery should be, adding weight to the tool? Either way it's a poor compromise to get around the 1 in 100 situations where 2 4or5 Ah batteries won't suffice.
I would go with having the power brick in the location of the battery. Hell I would be willing to bet your average 18v power tool battery probably has about the same weight and volume as a laptop power inverter. If you just had a great big wall wart instead then the tool would feel off balance with just a cord replacing the weight of the battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

canyoneer posted:

Yeah my wife was telling me one of her friends had her husband convert their battery powered baby swing into a plug in.

I told her I'd rather keep buying AA batteries rather than immolate my baby

A 6V 1A wall wart is a bit different to a few hundred watt power tool.

(I did the same, think, gently caress buying D cells.)

E:F;B

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Anyone know any good Cyber Monday Jesus deals?

Yeah, Home Depot has a whole bunch of "Buy a kit, and get 1 or 2 free tool" packages available for a few brands:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Power-Tool-Combo-Kit-Savings-Two-Free-Power-Tools/N-5yc1vZcf31

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not nearly a high enough power rate. There's a reason it takes 10 minutes to discharge, but 3 hours to charge, a battery.

Well the causation is the other way around—batteries limit the charge rate, and there’s no reason to make the charger capable of supplying more power than the batteries can accept—but the result is the same: the charger isn’t powerful enough to operate the tool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Well the causation is the other way around—batteries limit the charge rate, and there’s no reason to make the charger capable of supplying more power than the batteries can accept—but the result is the same: the charger isn’t powerful enough to operate the tool.

More expensive rapid charges that you buy separately seem to at least partially disagree with this.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hubis posted:

Err. pretty sure cordless drills can suck upto 20-30ish amps when under load (I know the number of 3-6A isn't yours, just quoting you because it was the closest post repeating it).

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 29, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

deimos posted:

Err. pretty sure cordless drills can suck upto 20-30ish amps when under load (I know the number of 3-6A isn't yours, just quoting you because it was the closest post repeating it).

P=IV

3A @ 120V = 360W = 20A @ 18V

So yeah. I was getting the voltages backwards. You need something like a 300+ W supply.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 30, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hubis posted:

P=IV

3A @ 120V = 360W = 20A @ 18V

So yeah. I was getting the voltages backwards. You need something like a 300+ W supply.

Well yeah, I was mostly referring to the part about the laptop wart, should've been more specific on my post. A meanwell like the instructable uses is a good alternative.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motronic posted:

More expensive rapid charges that you buy separately seem to at least partially disagree with this.

Modern lithium battery chemistry can recharge at an average rate of around 1C, meaning it can fill its nominal capacity in 1 hour. The actual charge rate is then calculated from the capacity of the battery; a 2000mAh battery charging at 1C is drawing 2 amps.

The same batteries can discharge much faster -- 20C or more. So the 2000mAh battery can discharge at a maximum rate of 2*20 = 40 amps, draining the battery in 1/20 hour (3 minutes).

You can't really charge any faster than the rated C value without risking battery explosion. Active cooling can help somewhat, maybe get you from 1C to 1.5C or so, but not much more than that.

Batteries charge faster when they're partially charged than they do when they're nearly full, so if you break it down, you can sometimes charge the battery at 2C or more for the first 80%, then slow down to 0.3C for the last 20%. Averages out to the same time to 100%, but gets you a usable charge faster. Lots of cell phones and laptops work this way.

Also, you don't have to actually fully drain the battery every time you use it. If you have a 2000mAh cell and you program the drill to cut off when it's half-empty -- so you only have 1000mAh to fill -- you can still charge it at the C rate based on the whole thing, but the effective charging time will be shortened because you're not putting in as much energy. Electric cars do this, only ever using like 75% of the pack's nominal capacity, never going below 20% or above 95% etc.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Batteries sound complicated. Where can I get a gas powered drill?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Gounads posted:

Batteries sound complicated. Where can I get a gas powered drill?

You jest, but https://www.stihlusa.com/products/augers-and-drills/wood-boring-drill/

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Might be better suited to the CNC or Blacksmith thread but any recommendations for a $50-100 2MT drill chuck? Should I continue trolling ebay for old Jacobs and buy as many as my budget allows? Seems like I could pick up three or four in various condition and be certain of ending up with at least one decent one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking for a corded worm drive circ saw to put on my panel rig. Hoping not to spend too much past $200, and dust collection is a must, which seems to be lacking in everything I'm seeing so far. Whatup with that? Any recommendations?