Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Crell posted:

I'm looking at helping my cousin buy a cheap laptop that she can use for browsing the internet, but also sometimes will be doing some word/exce. She's not great with computers, so she's asking for my help.

Also to note, I'm in Canada.

I have scoped out two laptops so far which I think would suit her needs:

ThinkPad 13 - $664.30 -
Processor : Intel Core i3-6100U Processor (3MB cache, 2.30GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Memory : 4GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 520
Pointing Device : UltraNav (TrackPoint and ClickPad) without Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable
Display Panel : 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare, 220 nits

Thinkpad E570 - $558.00
Processor : Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, AntiGlare
Memory : 4GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 620
Second Hard Drive : 256GB SSD PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
Front Battery : 4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Battery 41WH
Power Cord : 45W AC Adapter - US(2pin)

The E570 is bigger and heavier, but its also cheaper and has better specs as far as I can tell. Is there any better choices out there? Could probably downgrade the harddrive to a mechanical one, but I'd like to try and get and SSD because they're awesome.

You don't need to spend $500-700 to browse the Web and run productivity applications! Here's a solid Chromebook recommendation from several posts up:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm happy with my Acer Chromebook 14. Great build quality, and Acer's selling recertified ones for $199: http://acerrecertified.com/NX.GC2AA.005

There are plenty of other CB recommendations that I can give, but the one above will do what she wants while looking nice and being cheap.

Another guy asked for a CB recommendation about a week ago, but I was too busy to deal with this thread so if you're still looking, whoever you are, ask here again and I can help you out.

spog posted:

Bit of an oddball question here:

Could someone with a chromebook try and view the videos on this site and see if they work:

http://dramacity.se/

User uses their Win10 tablet for this site only and the battery life isn't good enough for a lot of use (seems to use more power than the charging system can pump into the battery) and I think a chromebook might be better suited.

Warning, the site might try to push crap on you like its own version of a Flashplayer.

The videos don't load at all, I'm trying on an HP CB 13 at the moment.

That site is really loving weird.... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This Thai video seems to indicate it does have an M2 slot? Left side (err right side in the video since it's upside down?), roughly middle of the motherboard? Or am is that not a slot and I'm just tripping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSvmmQk1iA

(Referring to the FX502 GTX 1060 3GB Asus laptop.)

That looks like correct placement according to the manual that's available. So it looks like the FX502 is probably just overrun from that other higher end model. Which is cool! In any case my wife ordered one so I'll be able to report back Sunday if it does have a m2

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

AbrahamSlam posted:

To be entirely honest, and someone very likely said this earlier on;

If you're going to break the bank on the gaming laptop, it'd be far more worth it to spend that money on a custom desktop. Results will be way, way better than a laptop can ever net in the first place.

That being said, the new ASUS Zenbooks are quite nice for general usage if you were in need of a laptop, but didn't wanna game on it.

This is true for a lot of use cases. However, portability is a big deal for a lot of twenty-somethings in school. Not because they'll want to play video games in a park or something, but because they only want one computer and it's going to be the one they take to their friend's dorm, back to their parent's house, to and from a library study room they might spend all day in, etc. I know was pretty happy to be able to play Counter Strike once in a while in the office I was in for 12 hours a day while I studied for the bar.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's the Thinkpad E series like? I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between the T450 and the E460, since for the extra $60 it'd be nice to have the newer processor and slightly better graphics chip (not that I'm going to be gaming on it at all). However a couple of reviews say that the E line doesn't use the metal hinges that the rest of the Thinkpad lines generally do, and I'm assuming this means I should avoid it like the plague? Anyone have any thoughts or alternate suggestions somewhere along the <$800 price range?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atomizer posted:

There are plenty of other CB recommendations that I can give, but the one above will do what she wants while looking nice and being cheap.

It's also $229 *new* at Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-Quad-Core-CB3-431-C5FM

$229 new beats $199 used.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon really snuck this one in...

https://www.amazon.com/FX502VM-Gaming-Laptop-NVIDIA-i5-6300HQ/dp/B01LXO0PO2

It might be a 3GB 1060 but that is one loving low price. According to some things I'm seeing, it *does* have an M.2 slot.

Is this a crazy good deal? I am looking to replace my Lenovo Y410p, with its two broken hinges and hosed up screen. The 1060 sounds like a great card, even the 3gb version, are there other really good features here making it hard to pass up?

I was wondering whether to wait a bit for laptops with ti cards or to just jump on this, basically

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

QuarkJets posted:

Is this a crazy good deal? I am looking to replace my Lenovo Y410p, with its two broken hinges and hosed up screen. The 1060 sounds like a great card, even the 3gb version, are there other really good features here making it hard to pass up?

I was wondering whether to wait a bit for laptops with ti cards or to just jump on this, basically

Honestly pretty good specs for the price. My only gripe is the fact they went with a TN panel instead of IPS.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

B-Mac posted:

Honestly pretty good specs for the price. My only gripe is the fact they went with a TN panel instead of IPS.

According to this review it has an IPS display. I don't know how to know for sure either way

http://pcverge.com/asus-fx502vm-gaming-laptop-review/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Naelyan posted:

What's the Thinkpad E series like? I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between the T450 and the E460, since for the extra $60 it'd be nice to have the newer processor and slightly better graphics chip (not that I'm going to be gaming on it at all). However a couple of reviews say that the E line doesn't use the metal hinges that the rest of the Thinkpad lines generally do, and I'm assuming this means I should avoid it like the plague? Anyone have any thoughts or alternate suggestions somewhere along the <$800 price range?

The best built ThinkPads are their T, X, W, and P models. Anything else is only a bit better than their consumer grade IdeaPads, but comes with all the same caveats.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AbrahamSlam posted:

If you're going to break the bank on the gaming laptop, it'd be far more worth it to spend that money on a custom desktop. Results will be way, way better than a laptop can ever net in the first place.

That being said, the new ASUS Zenbooks are quite nice for general usage if you were in need of a laptop, but didn't wanna game on it.

This isn't quite true anymore, with desktop grade cards appearing in laptops with Pascal. It is however true that gaming laptops are significantly more expensive than an equivalently powered desktop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

It's a spectacular deal and even if it is a 3 gb 1070, that still means you have the equivalent of a 970 tossed in there. Not bad at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress it, I pulled the trigger after reading some more reviews. Seems like a great replacement for my broken IdeaPad. Thanks thread

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

QuarkJets posted:

According to this review it has an IPS display. I don't know how to know for sure either way

http://pcverge.com/asus-fx502vm-gaming-laptop-review/

Looks like it can come with either. Hard to tell from the amazon page.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

B-Mac posted:

Looks like it can come with either. Hard to tell from the amazon page.

Item model number FX502VM-AH51

That's the one in the review also

There's also a buy from amazon link in the review that takes you directly to the amazon page

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, the $899 price for that ASUS leads me to believe there is a *tremendous* amount of flexibility in the 1060/70/80's pricing, and that they've been gouging like loving crazy these past few months. When the Kaby quad laptops come out with the 1060/70/80, we might see a broad price reduction across the board.

Maybe ASUS (and soon others, hopefully) is only lowering the price now because in about a month's time, they'd like to clear out the Skylake laptops before they don't see any Kabys. It always sucks when you're competing with *yourself*.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

What's the Thinkpad E series like?

They're better than consumer garbage at best buy, but only barely. Go back a couple of pages for further discussion

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

$680 seems like a really solid price for this guy, but I know how this thread usually feels about IdeaPads. Thoughts? Is this really an XPS competitor or should I be concerned about its lower build quality?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Senf posted:

$680 seems like a really solid price for this guy, but I know how this thread usually feels about IdeaPads. Thoughts? Is this really an XPS competitor or should I be concerned about its lower build quality?

IdeaPads fall apart after 2 years, but they sure do seem solid during that first year

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's a longshot.

I own a Thinkpad W530. This is the same chassis as the Thinkpad T530. I need a laptop bag, and have always had my eye on a Timbuk2 Command bag. It's also 50% off msrp (30% off normal price) for Black Friday.

The problem is, going by the listed specs, the W530 is about 0.4" too wide to fit in a Medium sized bag. Does anyone know if the bag has enough leeway that the laptop will fit?

edit: timbuk2 has a store near me so I visited to try the fit in person. The bag really is about 0.4" too small.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 27, 2016

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

IdeaPads fall apart after 2 years, but they sure do seem solid during that first year

Ha, fair enough. If it's not going to last me more than a couple years, and especially if the hinge is going to fail like other IdeaPads out there, then I guess I won't pick one up. That kind of spec for sub-$700 seems pretty great, though!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

AbrahamSlam posted:

Maybe some people want a super portable gaming rig. :angel:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Senf posted:

Ha, fair enough. If it's not going to last me more than a couple years, and especially if the hinge is going to fail like other IdeaPads out there, then I guess I won't pick one up. That kind of spec for sub-$700 seems pretty great, though!

Unfortunately this is the trap that a lot of seemingly great laptops fall into. Great specs for the price! I remember years ago thinking about what I great deal I found on a Dell Inspiron 15 8 odd years ago because it had 4gb of RAM and a good CPU.

But poo poo build quality always tells.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have experience with the GIGABYTE Aero 1060 version?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

foutre posted:

Does anyone have experience with the GIGABYTE Aero 1060 version?

I don't think even reviewers have had their hands on it, and I could not find where to purchase it for the life of me.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Yeah, it's available to order on Xoticpc, but iirc they also started accepting orders for Pascal laptops in general before they were ready to ship.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

foutre posted:

Yeah, it's available to order on Xoticpc, but iirc they also started accepting orders for Pascal laptops in general before they were ready to ship.

They've confirmed to someone on NBR that they don't have them in yet.

I'm definitely interested to see how it performs thermally and what undervolting can do for the machine. The thing that keeps pulling me to Gigabyte / Aorus is their default 2 year global warranty. For Clevo or any other brand, really, I have to add nearly 200 bucks to get even a 1 year global warranty, which robs Clevo especially of a lot of its value.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Never had a laptop before, always built my own desktops. Looking to buy my first one. My budget is like $450. I don't do anything super intensive, mostly just ~xtreme~ internet browsing, watching a lot of movies, and some light video games. Like Counter Strike and Dota mostly. Looking around by myself, everywhere just seems to either throw random numbers and letters together or simplify it too much like "WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP 5 SHEKELS ORDER NOW". Obvii I'm just going to immediately wipe it and put 7 on what do you take me for.

I'm curious if a SSD would last longer than a regular HDD. My old desktop drive died a few months ago and I replaced it with an SSD and kind of regret it. But it also doesn't get moved around like a laptop so I don't know if it would be worth it then instead. No moving parts to get dropped and all.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 27, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Why do you kind of regret it? SSDs run circles around traditional HDs when it comes to speed, which is the most significant benefit imo. My win10 desktop is fluid and snappy, and boots almost instantly. I love it.

I refuse to own a device which still uses traditional hard drives, for I have seen the light.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

drunken officeparty posted:

Never had a laptop before, always built my own desktops. Looking to buy my first one. My budget is like $450. I don't do anything super intensive, mostly just ~xtreme~ internet browsing, watching a lot of movies, and some light video games. Like Counter Strike and Dota mostly. Looking around by myself, everywhere just seems to either throw random numbers and letters together or simplify it too much like "WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP 5 SHEKELS ORDER NOW". Obvii I'm just going to immediately wipe it and put 7 on what do you take me for.

I'm curious if a SSD would last longer than a regular HDD. My old desktop drive died a few months ago and I replaced it with an SSD and kind of regret it. But it also doesn't get moved around like a laptop so I don't know if it would be worth it then instead. No moving parts to get dropped and all.

There are a lot of great deals in exactly your price range listed here with the specs:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/comments/5ch2r3/black_fridaycyber_monday_2016_laptop_deals_us_only/

The video cards can be checked on notebookcheck.com, which the card names are links to. Apparently even something like an Intel HD 520 (newer integrated card) can play Counter Strike GO on low, so most of the cards in these machines will probably suit your purposes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can't really tell a speed difference to be honest. Maybe?? when it boots it's faster but I restart my computer twice a decade. It wasn't worth that for getting 1/4 of the space per dollar. I very rarely am able to afford new parts and such so I can't just plop in a big secondary drive whenever I want.

I suppose a laptop does get shut off and booted way more too though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315713

This is the one I've been coming back to so far.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SSD for laptops is a no brainer, HDD doesn't like being bounced around and even if they report as healthy, their read and seek times decline over time.

If you're looking for a $400 budget laptop, get a refurbished T450 or X240 with the IPS screen

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried using a desktop with 7200rpm drive and I wanted to kill myself. Just launching Word or Chrome takes forever (more than 3-4 seconds) so I cannot imagine not telling the difference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah that's the other thing, to save power in laptops, most drives are 4200 or 4800rpm. 5400rpm is a mediocre performance bump but starts to suck battery. 7200rpm laptop drives outside of gaming laptops or workstation class laptops are very rare as they're a very large drain on the battery. SSD has the advantage of being both lower power and higher speed since you're not constantly running a high speed high precision electric motor constantly.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Prescription Combs posted:

Maybe some people want a super portable gaming rig. :angel:

Yeah, fair enough :P

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Senf posted:

For what it's worth, I have a ~3+ year-old Ideapad that's still perfect. It doesn't get used a ton or mishandled, and the only thing that "broke" was the HDD just started to fail even after only very light use. I replaced it with two SSDs that I already had, so I ended up with a better system. My Ideapad is a completely different design (chassis, materials, etc.) from that one, though, so I wouldn't make a blanket statement that "all Ideapads are crap" because they're not all alike.

This has already been touched upon, but an SSD will absolutely last longer than an HDD. In fact, you probably won't be able to wear out an SSD from normal use unless you're trying to torture it; you'll just end up upgrading from it to a newer, faster, larger, cheaper drive in a few years. The only thing you have to do is not fill up the whole drive (to allow for wear leveling.)

Why exactly do you "regret" replacing a dead HDD with an SSD?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233184&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_34-233-184-_-11272016

Newegg hitting pretty hard with this DOTD, 6gb 1060 with a 6700 cpu for 1100

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don't forget the standard two year warranty instead of a typical one year, and it comes with a 128GB NVMe M.2 SATA boot plus a 1TB HDD. Plus it has a front-mounted optical drive, which is a rarity on laptops these days.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 27, 2016

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget the standard two year warranty instead of a typical one year, and it comes with a 128GB NVMe boot plus a 1TB HDD. Plus it has a front-mounted optical drive, which is a rarity on laptops these days.

I'm reading the SSD as SATA, not NVMe. Might actually be better if you're on a budget, since SATA drives are much cheaper to upgrade than NVMe ones.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

How portable would something like this be?

I'm looking to spend less (hoping for a lot less) than $1000 total including warranty.

Almost everything I do at work is web-based but half the applications work on Firefox while the rest are Chrome because education is the dumbest. I'm typically working with a ridiculous number of tabs at a time and Office. I have to be able to haul it around the campus along with a stack of books daily and take it to off-campus meetings, out of town conferences, university classes, stuff like that. A little GIMP use would be nice.

I have been looking at Thinkpads. Is this still the chassis of choice for durable + portable or should I be looking at another manufacturer as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BarbarousBertha posted:

How portable would something like this be?

I'm looking to spend less (hoping for a lot less) than $1000 total including warranty.

Almost everything I do at work is web-based but half the applications work on Firefox while the rest are Chrome because education is the dumbest. I'm typically working with a ridiculous number of tabs at a time and Office. I have to be able to haul it around the campus along with a stack of books daily and take it to off-campus meetings, out of town conferences, university classes, stuff like that. A little GIMP use would be nice.

I have been looking at Thinkpads. Is this still the chassis of choice for durable + portable or should I be looking at another manufacturer as well?

That's a gaming laptop. If you are ok not gaming, you can save a lot of money or spend it on other poo poo that matters more to you. Personally I've found that the portability of a laptop in terms of size/weight depends more on your choice of bag than your laptop directly. My work laptop is 15.6" and I have a bag that suits it perfectly. If I had a 13" laptop, I'd use a smaller bag and it'd still be perfect.