Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

It got a little overlooked in the shitstorm, but that article about Benjamin Kyle/the dude with amnesia was REALLY good. I need to read some more articles like that - anyone got some recommendations? Maybe we should have another thread dedicated to interesting longform articles if there isn't already one...

Okay, there was an article floating around for a while about a murder victim who's identity is still a mystery. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This woman showed up, dead, and it turned out her identity had been utterly fabricated, so she's still listed as a Jane Doe. Before I go scouring for it, I want to make sure it hasn't been posted already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
this series of events from the r/relationships thread is pretty goddamn unnerving and sad

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&perpage=40&pagenumber=158#post466762446

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah I'm gonna have to hit up amazon now. Most of my knowledge of bundy was learned 15 yes ago and it looks like a lot more has come out since then.

It's kinda freaky that his case is considered sort of a turning point for understanding serial killers for the FBI and pop culture, but he's probably the worst of them all to try and understand lol.

I really wish I could find the fox files now, seeing him answer questions about this stuff really drives home how alien he could be, and yet still be charming and humorous. It's really hard to explain and i hope that video isn't lost forever in some fox vault cause it's pretty good even if it's a bit short.

Edit:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2010/08/27/from-fox-files-vi-inside-twisted-mind-ted-bundy.html

This is the episode I'm talking if anyone knows how to find stuff like this. I kinda doubt anyone uploaded it back then but who knows. If the bundy story doesn't tempt you a look behind the scenes of how the spice girls handled ginger leaving is surely too intriguing to pass up.

DogonCrook has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Nov 25, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Troposphere posted:

this series of events from the r/relationships thread is pretty goddamn unnerving and sad

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&perpage=40&pagenumber=158#post466762446

:stonk:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Troposphere posted:

Read through the initial post, then the last update clicked on the linked news article and gently caress! That is simply horrible.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

cash crab posted:

Okay, there was an article floating around for a while about a murder victim who's identity is still a mystery. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This woman showed up, dead, and it turned out her identity had been utterly fabricated, so she's still listed as a Jane Doe. Before I go scouring for it, I want to make sure it hasn't been posted already.

That is very vague but the first one that comes to my mind is Orange socks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Socks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2000/12/05/unsettling-tales-of-the-unknown-dead/25553f3d-208b-43e5-84a1-176b304996aa/

Here's an article with a couple of unidentified dead in it. Maybe what you're looking for is somewhere in there.

E; probably Isdal Woman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Nov 25, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There was also Lori Ruff, who committed suicide rather than being murdered, but her story was a clusterfuck for a while there too -- they just identified her this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Erica_Ruff http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...hief-lori-ruff/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Probably like some others in this thread, I have a fascination with "end of the world" locations like the furthest distant points of a landmass, isolated settlements, remote islands, etc. Just a few minutes ago I was reading about Bouvet Island, a Norwegian-owned island down between the Falklands, South Africa, and Antarctica. It's the single most isolated spot on Earth, in that you could draw a 1,000 mile radius circle around it and not include a single other bit of dry land. It was first sighted in 1739 by a French explorer who gave it its name, but it was so remote that nobody managed to stumble across it again, despite good-faith efforts, until 1808. The Brits claimed it for a long while but didn't do anything with it, and in 1927 the Norwegians dropped by during a research voyage and annexed it against Britain's lukewarm protests since it's not a terribly useful place.

The reason I bring it up in the "unnerving" thread though is because it has a mystery to it: in 1964 the Brits made a rare visit to poke around for research, and found a lifeboat hauled up on the shore at pretty much the only accessible beach on the island. A thousand miles from any other point of land, not anywhere near any popular shipping route, and the boat was too worn to discern any markings that might say who it had belonged to. No traces could be found of any survivors or even human encampment, though the weather there is pretty brutal and could erase a lot of evidence over time.

If you're like me your first guess was "meh, it probably drifted alone at sea for months and happened to end up there", but apparently that's an unlikely scenario. The beach there isn't known as a common place for flotsam and the odds of something floating across that huge a stretch of empty ocean and nailing one little beach are low. Lowering the odds still, nearby the boat were found a pair of oars, a 40-gallon tank, and a copper float that had been hammered flat. The odds of all those items ending up together on the exact same beach after drifting a huge distance seems pretty remote, but they all ended up within feet of each other, and all items that logically made sense to be with a lifeboat.

Nobody has ever figured out what the story is behind it, but I found a website that has a number of plausible theories, but even all those would require some funky series of events: https://mikedashhistory.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

I just enjoy it because it's spooky having one empty lifeboat at the end of the world.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Nov 25, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The book that became the show a lot of you are talking about, The Anatomy of Evil goes into a lot more detail about what determines where people fall on the scale and why people got the numbers they did. Lots of examples, methodology that seems solid to me, and written in an accessible manner. I got it for SASS last year and really enjoyed the read.

Then again, my longest wishlist on Amazon is called Crime Books, so I'm endlessly fascinated by the subject matter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Nobody has ever figured out what the story is behind it, but I found a website that has a number of plausible theories, but even all those would require some funky series of events: https://mikedashhistory.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

I just enjoy it because it's spooky having one empty lifeboat at the end of the world.

I hate to spoil it for you, but that article points out at the top that the comments solve the mystery: a Russian ship landed some sailors in a boat and then had to fetch them back to the ship by helicpoter because of bad weather.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Troposphere posted:

:gonk:

That did not end in the way I thought it would

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Troposphere posted:

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wwwwwelp that took a much more hosed-up turn than I was expecting.

That MIL is a piece of poo poo too, apple don't fall far from the tree

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a serial killer has just been sentenced to whole life in prison in the UK. the police almost certainly allowed him to murder more than 1 person as a result of lazy/discriminatory investigating and he killed while on bail for lying about how the corpse of his first victim ended up in front of his flat ended up there

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/25/serial-killer-stephen-port-jailed-for-life

Jose has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Nov 25, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A serial killer lied to authority?! :monocle:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the police being incompetent?! :monocle:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still a long way to go if they want to be as incompetent as the Houston police when Dean Corll was active.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I mean, it's a pretty impressive degree of incompetence or apathy. Oh this guy lied about how a loving corpse ended up at his doorstep? Whatever, he posted bail. Oh, now another person of similar age and disposition died in the same way in the same neighborhood? Meh. Oh, a third person died the same loving way in the same loving place and left a 'suicide note' explicitly telling police not to investigate the guy he was last with? SURE, SEEMS LEGIT.

I mean, drat. Innocent until proven guilty, sure, but somehow they didn't even suspect the guy who they knew lied about the first body of creating the following ones, at least look into it.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
At least the victims' families will be able to sue the police now. For a long time following the mother of Peter Suttclife (the Yorkshire Ripper)'s last victim trying to sue West Yorkshire police, they were basically teflon.

Until a London cabbie managed to raped over 100 people in a six year period pretty much unstopped and a judge bascially said, I'm not accusing the police, but the Met better pay the gently caress up.

If anyone is interested in a fictional look at how these kinds of things happen, Deep Water is on iplayer at the moment. It's based on the real life murder of around 80 gay men in Sydney in the 70s and 80s. Homosexuality wasn't decriminalised in NSW until 1984.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

whiteyfats posted:

Still a long way to go if they want to be as incompetent as the Houston police when Dean Corll was active.

I just wanted to summarize this one quick for anyone that doesn't know it, since it's one of the more evocative moments of any of the serial killer stories I've read.

Corll killed 28 boys in Houston in 1970–1973, usually abducting/raping/torturing them, and many of them with the help of two teenage accomplices that he plied with drugs and money and helped lure in young men that they knew. Supposedly they started out thinking they were just helping him procure sex victims (for what little defense that is) and by the time they found out he was murdering them, they were in too deep.

The bizarre part is how one accomplice somehow just hit his limit and ended the whole matter at a pretty clinch moment.

Background: many murders in, the young accomplice Henley brings over Timoth Kerley and Rhonda Williams to the drugs/party/death house they chilled at. Corll comes home and is pleased to have another male teen to abduct, but pissed that he brought a girl along, so he waits until all three are passed out and then ties/cuffs them all up for a big torture-fest. As things start to kick off, accomplice Henley manages to convince Corll that he's still cool and shouldn't be killed like the other two, so Corll unties him and says he can rape the girl while Corll gets the guy. Then things just get weird, and you get one of those moments where maybe saying the right thing at the right time saved several lives:

quote:

Kerley began writhing and shouting as Williams, whose gag Henley had removed, lifted her head and asked Henley, "Is this for real?" to which Henley answered, "Yes." Williams then asked Henley: "Are you going to do anything about it?"

Henley then asked Corll whether he might take Rhonda into another room. Corll ignored him and Henley then grabbed Corll's pistol, shouting, "You've gone far enough, Dean!"[74] As Corll clambered off Kerley, Henley elaborated: "I can't go on any longer! I can't have you kill all my friends!"[22] Corll approached Henley, saying, "Kill me, Wayne!"[72] Henley stepped back a few paces as Corll continued to advance upon him, shouting, "You won't do it!"[3] Henley fired at Corll, hitting him in the forehead (the bullet failed to fully penetrate Corll's skull).[20]:3641 Corll continued to lurch towards Henley, whereupon the youth fired a further two rounds, hitting Corll in the left shoulder.[40]:2 Corll spun round and staggered out of the room, hitting the wall of the hallway. Henley fired three additional bullets into his lower back and shoulder as Corll slid down the wall in the hallway outside the room where the two other teenagers were bound. Corll died where he fell, his naked body lying face towards the wall.[75][76][77]

It's like something out of a movie, that sudden moment of revelation where Henley realizes that maybe helping a creepy pedophile serial killer rape and torture his friends *isn't* the way to go in life. Better late than never I guess, but Henley (and the other teen accomplice Brooks) got life sentences, though he wasn't charged with Corll's death since it was taken as self-defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Corll

E: holy crap, 42 boys went missing in the Houston area in '70-'73 and Corll was responsible for, at minimum, 28 of them them (his killing cut off any chance of finding out others his accomplices didn't know about). So that one guy was, by far, the single largest cause of missing teenage boys in the Houston area for a chunk of the decade.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And there's definitely more because they found pictures of boys tied to the torture board that his accomplices didn't recognize. Makes me wonder if he had other accomplices that just kinda peaced out once he was killed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were at least several more bodies the accomplices told the police about, but the cops stopped looking once they broke the record for serial killer victims.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

cash crab posted:

I think you're thinking of El Dorado Jane Doe.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/81ufar.html

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

whiteyfats posted:

There were at least several more bodies the accomplices told the police about, but the cops stopped looking once they broke the record for serial killer victims.

Yep, they didn't want to look too bad about letting so many kids die. The police were incredibly incompetent through the whole case. So many kids were going missing in the heights, and the cops ignored every last one of them. One of the victims was last seen around Corll, which was reported to the police, but they never looked into it at all.

The best article on it isn't wikipedia of course, The Texas Monthly has a really good piece on it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guess I know what I'm reading at work today.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MissEchelon posted:

Yep, they didn't want to look too bad about letting so many kids die. The police were incredibly incompetent through the whole case. So many kids were going missing in the heights, and the cops ignored every last one of them. One of the victims was last seen around Corll, which was reported to the police, but they never looked into it at all.

The best article on it isn't wikipedia of course, The Texas Monthly has a really good piece on it.

Said they were all runaways. Some of the 42 confirmed missing might have ran off, but it strains credulity to imagine every one of them just hit the road.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

LizzieBorden posted:

I think you're thinking of El Dorado Jane Doe.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/81ufar.html

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

And there's definitely more because they found pictures of boys tied to the torture board that his accomplices didn't recognize. Makes me wonder if he had other accomplices that just kinda peaced out once he was killed.

By accounts Henley and Brooks spent a lot of time with Corll even between killings. It's more likely that they weren't Corll's first accomplices and that the others were killed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

By accounts Henley and Brooks spent a lot of time with Corll even between killings. It's more likely that they weren't Corll's first accomplices and that the others were killed.

I really wish there was a newish book about Corll. The best one I've found, The Man With The Candy, came out right after it was discovered, and a bunch of new poo poo has come out since then. How bad the police investigation was, though, was noted in that book, so it was well known how bad they hosed it up, even then.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So the other day I was reading about Japan's biggest nuclear accident before Fukushima, the Tokaimura accident.

The cause, you ask?

quote:

The cause of the accident was the workers adding a uranyl nitrate solution which contained about 16 kg of uranium into the precipitation tank. This greatly exceeded the tank's uranium limit of 2.4 kg and caused an instantaneous and uncontrolled nuclear fission. Under correct procedures, the uranyl nitrate would have been stored inside a buffer tank and then pumped from there into the precipitation tank at intervals of the correct volume level not exceeding 2.4 kg.

With a bucket. Yep. Bad idea.

The results? Sure, lemme show you.

Hisashi (or Hiroshi, sources vary) Ouchi.
:nms::nms::nms:https://i.imgur.com/s45t7Oe.jpg:nms::nms::nms:
Still alive in this photo, kept so for 82 days. Doesn't seem to have any skin left.

Masato Shinohara
:nms:http://i.imgur.com/VK6FbLK.png:nms:
Not as gruesome as the other pic, but shows the progress of radiation poisoning through 3 months.

Until then I didn't have a clear idea of how acute radiation poisoning could gently caress you up. You pretty much start to melt almost like in the cartoons. I'm very interested in reading the book about this incident.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't that teach doctors a ton about radiation poisoning as well?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, they kept the poor dudes alive exactly for this reason. There was no way they would survive such a big dose of radiation (around 17 Sv). Also, the book seems to be a pretty valid reference on this subject.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah, they kept the poor dudes alive exactly for this reason. There was no way they would survive such a big dose of radiation (around 17 Sv). Also, the book seems to be a pretty valid reference on this subject.

What's the legality of something like this? If you're suffering through some very painful but educational thing, can they just keep you hanging on so they can learn?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

So the other day I was reading about Japan's biggest nuclear accident before Fukushima, the Tokaimura accident.

The cause, you ask?

With a bucket. Yep. Bad idea.

Still alive in this photo, kept so for 82 days. Doesn't seem to have any skin left.

Masato Shinohara
:nms:http://i.imgur.com/VK6FbLK.png:nms:
Not as gruesome as the other pic, but shows the progress of radiation poisoning through 3 months.

Until then I didn't have a clear idea of how acute radiation poisoning could gently caress you up. You pretty much start to melt almost like in the cartoons. I'm very interested in reading the book about this incident.
Jfc at that first one. A human being should not be kept alive in that state. Getting Unit 731 flashbacks here

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Negrostrike posted:

I've seen that dude before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDLW6EV3B4

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

"He looks like a wet cigar!"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not 100% sure if that pic is really from a Tokaimura technician, cause I couldn't find any reliable source. Only forum posts and blogs, every one of them claiming that it is him. At least the other pic has name and written info.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigLeafyTree posted:

What's the legality of something like this? If you're suffering through some very painful but educational thing, can they just keep you hanging on so they can learn?

If they don't have right-to-die laws, then they can keep you around just to keep you around. It may not have been involuntary though.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
IIRC the first guy was in a medically induced coma and kept alive via machine just for research. I don't think he was conscious at all after the first day or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Would there have been any nerve endings left to feel pain in that first one? :stare: