Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Duh, we already saw them not do anything to help future members by giving up being able to come out of high school into the NBA. They aren't the best at negotiating and should probably not have busy super stars in important roles.

Even before negotiating, does the NBAPA want to allow the entire D-League in?

This isn't exclusive to the NBA/athletes at all as unions in general have lost a lot of power over the years. Union participation is down to nearly 10% of US workers IIRC from being over 1/3rd of workers at its peak last century. New union members in a lot of fields are consistently being asked to take worse offers/benefits as well. The NBAPA of course is not a typical union.

EvanTH posted:

"OH BLOCKED BY JAMES" was the exact moment he tied for GOAT and the missed dunk afterwards is the only reason there's still any lingering question :colbert:

If LBJ had scored ten more points in G7 he would be the GOAT but he didn't so we need more evidence. :smugmrgw:

If LBJ reaches 300 WS it will be hard to argue against him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNQVGCigHGe/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

46% of SA voters have the Mavericks in the 2017 playoffs.

To be fair, I don't think any of the 46% thought Dallas would be missing 4 (5 a few nights) of their top 6 players to start the season.

Zogo posted:

Even before negotiating, does the NBAPA want to allow the entire D-League in?

I would bet not (because of FYGM style politics) but I still think it'd be better for non-all star tier players long term. (Assuming the D-League continues to improve from what it currently is.) If they can negotiate for even more players, they have more power as an organization. I don't think it would happen but all of the less talented players should push for it as it gives more players near their skill level power. Realistically, the D-League needs to get bigger and a little more profitable for it to work.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets attempt a record 50 threes tonight. (they even made 21 of them) Moreyball :mario:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i don't think lebron is the GOAT

i think he's amazing. a generational talent

but not the goat.

he more than anyone has benefitted from the dumpster fire that is the east. even after forming the super heat team he underperformed tremendously against the Mavs, barely beat the spurs in '13, and got shattered in '14.

of his 3 finals victories: 1 was all-time great, 1 was exciting but not because of lebron, and 1 was against a thunder team that over performed to get there. granted, that's 3 finals wins, one of which is historic, but don't let recency bias fool you, his other two weren't exactly for the record books.

of his 4 losses: 1 was an obliteration that he experienced due to being from one of the weakest conferences ever (and subsequently wouldn't see the finals until 4 seasons later (celtics, magic, celtics). the next was against a Mavs team that had no business winning, but did and it was awesome. then he got beaten historically by a vengeful Spurs team. and finally in a battle decided by fate when the banged up cavs lost to the warriors.

he's had his moments both extremely good AND extremely bad

don't get me wrong, he's amazing. he's awesome and by far the best player around today. but i don't think he's the greatest to ever play. in my opinion he benefits more from physical superiority than basketball skill. many of his skills on both ends are inconsistent. and most importantly, his finals record is grossly inflated because of the historical embarrassment that is the eastern conference. it is just getting good this year after over a decade of suck. i remember more than one year where sub-500 teams were making the playoffs.

i try to keep an open mind, but at the same time i think its important to take his whole career and the context of his era into consideration rather than let one of the most enjoyable finals series ever completely color my perspective.

if the 2016 finals was an historic win that should count for him, the 2014 finals were an historic dismantling that should also count against him (also 2011 when he didn't perform well).

tl;dr i think lebron is awesome, cool, good, and an all time great, but i don't think he's the GOAT

i think jordan is the goat

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/802233554222596096

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This GOAT talk reminds me that Simmons had a great idea about using a pyramid ranking system... and then he hosed the whole thing up by immediately numbering everyone and defending the numbering

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/802278224990531584

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

Please give all of Dunn's minutes to Tyus, Thibs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Michael Jordan had an emotionally abusive father who turned him into the baggy jeans sociopath we've seen in so many both still and moving images. He abused the NBA in the same way, and the generation of players that emulated him played basketball like you had to throw a continuous tantrum to succeed. Lebron plays like he loves the game and wants to share the game with his family of teammates. I know that's a bit confusing because he throws literal tantrums whenever he's touched on the court, but believe me, it's a strong and accurate opinion.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Michael Jordan had an emotionally abusive father who turned him into the baggy jeans sociopath we've seen in so many both still and moving images. He abused the NBA in the same way, and the generation of players that emulated him played basketball like you had to throw a continuous tantrum to succeed. Lebron plays like he loves the game and wants to share the game with his family of teammates. I know that's a bit confusing because he throws literal tantrums whenever he's touched on the court, but believe me, it's a strong and accurate opinion.

I agree and I think this is made clear by LeBron's adoption of Kevin Love and J.R. Smith as his NBA boys.

The dads receive a pair of Curry 2s wait this isn't the fashion thread.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 26, 2016

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

RaySmuckles posted:

but not the goat.

he more than anyone has benefitted from the dumpster fire that is the east. even after forming the super heat team he underperformed tremendously against the Mavs, barely beat the spurs in '13, and got shattered in '14.

of his 3 finals victories: 1 was all-time great, 1 was exciting but not because of lebron, and 1 was against a thunder team that over performed to get there. granted, that's 3 finals wins, one of which is historic, but don't let recency bias fool you, his other two weren't exactly for the record books.

of his 4 losses: 1 was an obliteration that he experienced due to being from one of the weakest conferences ever (and subsequently wouldn't see the finals until 4 seasons later (celtics, magic, celtics). the next was against a Mavs team that had no business winning, but did and it was awesome. then he got beaten historically by a vengeful Spurs team. and finally in a battle decided by fate when the banged up cavs lost to the warriors.

he's had his moments both extremely good AND extremely bad

don't get me wrong, he's amazing. he's awesome and by far the best player around today. but i don't think he's the greatest to ever play. in my opinion he benefits more from physical superiority than basketball skill. many of his skills on both ends are inconsistent. and most importantly, his finals record is grossly inflated because of the historical embarrassment that is the eastern conference. it is just getting good this year after over a decade of suck. i remember more than one year where sub-500 teams were making the playoffs.

i try to keep an open mind, but at the same time i think its important to take his whole career and the context of his era into consideration rather than let one of the most enjoyable finals series ever completely color my perspective.

if the 2016 finals was an historic win that should count for him, the 2014 finals were an historic dismantling that should also count against him (also 2011 when he didn't perform well).

tl;dr i think lebron is awesome, cool, good, and an all time great, but i don't think he's the GOAT

Nah he's the GOAT.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

WhyteRyce posted:

Simmons had a great idea ... and then he hosed the whole thing up

That sounds like Bill Simmons alright.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Nah he's the GOAT.

Yeah. I hate LeBron, but there's no doubt he's the GOAT. It's basically the number one thing I do like about LeBron; he knocked Michael Jordan off the throne and gently caress Michael Jordan.

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 26, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Veryslightlymad posted:

Screw the whole "Pippen is better than any James Sidekick" argument. The real reason James' accomplishments are more impressive is Dennis Rodman is the best complimentary player of all time.

"Yo Mike you look pretty today baby"
"thanks worm"

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

RaySmuckles posted:

A dirty little secret of the Jordan years is that the East was bad then too. The two years the East was actually good were when Jordan was on the best team ever up to that point.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Time posted:

Marcus Camby was hosting thanksgiving on his estate and his 9 year old autistic nephew wondered off and has been missing for 24 hours

Update: they found the kid dead this morning in the pond :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GOAT is still Wilt

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

GOAT is still Wilt

Every basketball conversation begins with the unspoken agreement that Wilt is the outlier in all things and must be set aside to actually be able to have a debate

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RaySmuckles posted:

but not the goat.

I think this goes on to blame a whole bunch of stuff Lebron had absolutely no control over. Would he be a better player if he didn't drag his team to the finals in 07? Should he have switched conferences? I think the run of being in the Finals 6 straight years is pretty frickin good, even if he doesn't win every time.

But even better, I don't think you can compare players across eras. If you try to come up with some absolute scale you are ignoring rule changes (some, like the 3 point line, took generations for players to catch up to that skill), changes in medical technology, habits and trends. If you talk about subjective skill the answer is Wilt, or like, George Mikan.

I think its better to talk about the special players who dominated their respective eras (and sometimes there isn't one). Lebron is clearly that guy now, so I put him right alongside a very small group including Jordan and Wilt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Time posted:

Update: they found the kid dead this morning in the pond :(

Jesus christ

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love our annual GOAT discussions. I really do. They are timeless. In a couple of decades, when every position will be played by 7'2" guys (with robotic limbs) — who dunk from the 3-point line, because real men shoot from the 5-point line — there will still be grumpy old NBA stars on TV, telling the world how lovely the league is and that "players nowadays can't defend worth a lick!"

edit:

v :mad:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 26, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
NBA player height hasn't really been increasing since the 1980s. :colbert:

https://seatsmart.com/blog/history-of-the-nba-player/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
THE BULLS ARE SENDING JERIAN GRANT AND FELICIO TO THE D LEAGUE

WHAT THE gently caress IS gently caress

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tae posted:

Apparently this is just because they have 4 days off and the Bulls want to get them burn?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They could send Bobby Portis, player who actually needs to learn how to play

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

"thanks worm"

Lol

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

But even better, I don't think you can compare players across eras. If you try to come up with some absolute scale you are ignoring rule changes (some, like the 3 point line, took generations for players to catch up to that skill), changes in medical technology, habits and trends. If you talk about subjective skill the answer is Wilt, or like, George Mikan.

I think its better to talk about the special players who dominated their respective eras (and sometimes there isn't one). Lebron is clearly that guy now, so I put him right alongside a very small group including Jordan and Wilt.

i actually agree that comparing players across eras is functionally useless.

my argument wasn't for a player to be the goat, just that lebron definitively is not the goat.

but yes, eras are important distinctions and comparing across them is tenuous at best

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't know what this means

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

"thanks worm"

I had to restrain myself from that play because actually Rodman had no compliments for anyone.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Giannis is a star already who is going to be a super star but holy poo poo Kidd is terrible. His rotations are awful and horribly inconsistent. All you need to know is he plays the corpse of Jason Terry 20 minutes loving minutes every game. I am fine with him as old man on the bench role with spot minutes but what the gently caress.

They have also been slow to update their schemes. In a way even Point Giannis was a fluke. Basically they succeed by continously failing and stumbling into something. Blind squirrel and all that. Given the situation in the East I think Giannis may drag them to the playoffs but if they don't I think it will be on Kidd. Either playoffs or adding a lottery pick to the team will be pretty sweet so I guess it doesn't matter as long as Giannis and Jabari improve.

Also Middleton will be lighting it up if he gets the looks that Snell gets from Giannis.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Google tyus jones and place a pic of his mug beside this one

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

edit: I guess on the "internet" I'm supposed to preface both of these comments with "mfw". Please consider both of these comments as beginning with "mfw"

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 26, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hand Row posted:

Giannis is a star already who is going to be a super star but holy poo poo Kidd is terrible. His rotations are awful and horribly inconsistent. All you need to know is he plays the corpse of Jason Terry 20 minutes loving minutes every game. I am fine with him as old man on the bench role with spot minutes but what the gently caress.

They have also been slow to update their schemes. In a way even Point Giannis was a fluke. Basically they succeed by continously failing and stumbling into something. Blind squirrel and all that. Given the situation in the East I think Giannis may drag them to the playoffs but if they don't I think it will be on Kidd. Either playoffs or adding a lottery pick to the team will be pretty sweet so I guess it doesn't matter as long as Giannis and Jabari improve.

Also Middleton will be lighting it up if he gets the looks that Snell gets from Giannis.

Who's Kidd even supposed to play? With Middleton out the Bucks stop being NBA starters right around #3 on this list:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

EvanTH posted:

Who's Kidd even supposed to play? With Middleton out the Bucks stop being NBA starters right around #3 on this list:

What wrong with Monroe?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ozymandius1024 posted:

What wrong with Monroe?

Eh I think of him as a no-defense-all-rebounds big which suits him for a David Lee off-the-bench type role on a good team. I guess he's not quite as no-defense as Lee though.

Tae posted:

Jerian belongs there. Felicio will benefit from the experience crushing lesser players.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How has otto porter developed? I don't get to see him play often

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

boxcarhobo posted:

Google tyus jones and place a pic of his mug beside this one

EvanTH posted:

edit: I guess on the "internet" I'm supposed to preface both of these comments with "mfw". Please consider both of these comments as beginning with "mfw"

Got it, guess I didn't see the connection. Now that I look at it, it is kinda close.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

He's got way too many bigs that do the same thing. Parker is a better version of Mirza and Beas. Monroe is a better version of Thon, Henson, and Plumlee. I think it's pretty obvious they need to start adding help on the wing cus Middleton is a tweener and Snell sucks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

EvanTH posted:

Brogdan, Telly or Vaughn. Vaughn is the most irritating since he has shown signs of not being outright terrible this year. Instead he randomly gets benched after solid games. He can at least chase guards around better than a 39 year old. Also see where Jabari is lighting it up and then randomly gets benched for a half hour.

Monroe hasn't been playing much recently because he got in a fight with a coach. Kidd has also decided to randomly not play one of the centers each night. Monroe is an offensive ground bound center so he pairs poorly with Parker. Henson is horribly inconsistent with effort. Plumlee is a disaster and should be mentioned more as the worst contract.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

He's got way too many bigs that do the same thing. Parker is a better version of Mirza and Beas. Monroe is a better version of Thon, Henson, and Plumlee. I think it's pretty obvious they need to start adding help on the wing cus Middleton is a tweener and Snell sucks.

Monroe plays nothing like thon, henson, or plumlee and Middleton is a really good size for a wing

• Locked thread