Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love the new basic moves. Let's take a look at the signature move of Monsterhearts: Turn Someone On.

quote:

Turn Someone On
When you turn someone on, roll with hot. On a 10 up, gain a String on them and also they choose a reaction from below. • On a 7-9, gain a String on them unless they choose a reaction from below.
¸¸
- I give myself to you,
¸¸- I promise something I think you want,
¸¸- I get embarrassed and act awkward.

One a 10+, you get a String and a story result. On a 7-9, it's a String or an immediate story benefit. This takes out the redundant "okay, I get that String, I spend it to get what I want" aspect of TSO and allows you to hang on to that String for when it could really matter. In general, this move will just play better in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The new keep cool seems more like a notice/gather info skill.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm a little worried about the ace/non-attraction system; as is, if you're ace, all attempts to turn you on just shut you down with +hot instead of +cold. You can still turn people on yourself, but you're immune to it from the outside. It just seems like this would severely screw up the string economy -- Skin Moves and violence are pretty much your only options; even shut someone down doesn't have string-getting options any more.

As a fix, I think I'd go with alternative story options for the Turn On -- the string represents emotional leverage, of the kind someone can get by observing you being visibly uncomfortable, and the options might be, I dunno, "try to get out of talking to them," "hurry through the conversation so you don't have to keep getting flirted at," or similar.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I think the difference is, it's reactive. Like, "You see that weird kid in the gym and he's got a gun" is a time to keep cool, "I'm going through the principal's desk to find something about his deal with the vampire prince" probably isn't, unless you hear someone coming. The information you get on a 10+ is probably going to be relevant to getting out of the situation that's causing you to keep cool.

On the other hand, it doesn't SAY it has to be that, so, like, when someone has you cornered with a knife you can ask who's sleeping with your girlfriend, that just won't help you not get stabbed and would probably be better for when you can gaze into the abyss.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Zurui posted:

One a 10+, you get a String and a story result. On a 7-9, it's a String or an immediate story benefit. This takes out the redundant "okay, I get that String, I spend it to get what I want" aspect of TSO and allows you to hang on to that String for when it could really matter. In general, this move will just play better in-game.

The benefit of rolling a 10 on Turn On was the String, the 7-9 was a way for the person to avoid allowing you to have emotional leverage on them but in a way that still benefits you. How they reacted to that was the interesting story part. And spending it now to get what you want means you don't have it in the future when you might need it.

Also, "I get embarrassed and act awkward" isn't really an interesting result by itself and could already be part of the reaction to a Turn On.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

RAW you can Turn Someone On, they say they're not into you, you roll a 10+ and can give the condition Turned On.

Edit: For the playtest notes:

quote:

Have your players used the asexuality/non-attraction rules? If yes, I’m
curious to hear what they got used for: asexuality, trauma, blocking
heterosexual advances, blocking queer advances (frown), or something else.

I mean, you COULD use the rule to be asexual but you're going to miss the romance in "a game of supernatural romance". Or just play "Nope, I'm straight, give me a condition, whatever."

Edit 2: On a close read, without skin moves, you can't gain strings on Aces.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 31, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Golden Bee posted:

Well poo poo.

Time to get a playtest group together.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Zurui posted:

Well poo poo.

Time to get a playtest group together.

I'd be interested; I'd also play an ace character, to see how ace-ness actually plays out, and whether it is, in fact, as much of an issue as it seems.

EDIT: If you're running it on the forums, of course. Hope this didn't come across as presumptuous or anything.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Poltergrift posted:

I'd be interested;
EDIT: If you're running it on the forums, of course. Hope this didn't come across as presumptuous or anything.
The Kickstarter is 30 days so a PBP playtest would have to be blazing fast.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

...fair point, well made! Good luck with the playtest, Zurui.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Technically you can gain a string on them if they punch you and roll a 7-9 :v: (I'm going to send in feedback pointing this out)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Golden Bee posted:

According to the pledge goals, the PDF will go out May of 2017 and physical products will be out later. That and the talk of sending feedback on playtesting makes me think the Kickstarter will be over in a month but the game might be developed over a longer period of time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Yeah I don't think the playtests have to be done within the month.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have an IRL group I can get at least one session out of. I'll throw together a PbP playtest thread as well.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Double-posting but here is the playtest thread for anyone who is interested.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Heliotrope posted:

Sorry for the doublepost, but there hasn't been another post for the past few days.

The new edition of Monsterhearts is up on Kickstarter

If you donate, you can get a "sneak peak" document that has the new version of the moves and the skins. One of the big things is that the Chosen has been removed, and you can no longer Manipulate An NPC (you have to spend a String to be able to do so now). As for the basic move changes: I don't really like them. Hard to say why without posting them, but I feel like the way the moves originally worked were fine. It is a version for playtesting though, so it's possible they'll be changed again.

I'd love to do a one-shot using Discord and Roll20 sometime this week if folks are interested in giving the new rules a test drive. i'll make an application thread when I get home.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

madadric posted:

I'd love to do a one-shot using Discord and Roll20 sometime this week if folks are interested in giving the new rules a test drive. i'll make an application thread when I get home.

Sure.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Are there any PBTA games about being stranded on an island?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

I got around to making the thread.

Check it here.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Probably because I've nearly nailed down most of the rules for Malleus, I've started to explore ideas on a bunch of other game projects instead of doing useful work on Malleus . Anyways, I've had some ideas rattling around for a while about making a PbtA game inspired by the powers, tactical options and big drat heroes assumptions of 4E D&D. The other day I came up with some ideas for how to make the combat system work (largely by ripping off A Storm Eternal with some added extras). I have written up a couple of pages of notes as a sort of minimum viable build to stick on the table and playtest. The notes elide a bunch of stuff that will be more detailed in a more complete game, and just has a choice of combat moves for testing which would normally be spread across different playbooks. There's also not much on the GM side as I haven't actually GM'd it yet.

Still, I'd be interested in thoughts anyone has about the general ideas.

The notes are here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vincent Baker did a talk at Metatopia about making PbtA hacks, and put the slides online. It's not really complete because it seems the panel wasn't recorded, but there's stuff in there that you can suss out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Scholar playbook from Urban Shadows has an end move that passes on thier Library move to antoher player.
There is no Library move in Scholar playbook that I can see. Am I missing something?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Probably meant to redo the veterans Workshop move?

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

It would be a little strange to have the Scholar pass on access to a library-themed workshop when they don't seem to have a library themselves, though, just access to a network of other people in the artifact trade.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Some of you might remember that I posted before about a Star Trek themed game, but I've put that on the back burner for now.

What I'm working on now is a game about ordinary (or mostly ordinary) people in a modern setting who discover that there's something wrong with the world and band together to do something about it. I just described a lot of things with that very generic sentence, so I'll clarify that my primary inspirations are video games like EarthBound and Mother 3, and movies and series like Stranger Things and E.T. There's bits and pieces of other things in there too. I'm going for science fiction and horror adventure in a modern or near-future setting with elements of the supernatural and scientific weirdness tangling up and playing out through the awakening of something like Apocalypse World's psychic maelstrom.

Characters are regular people or people who are just now awakening to their psychic abilities. I stole the idea of multiple dimensions of health from Marvel Heroic Role Playing, so there's a stress countdown for your physical, mental, and emotional stress. Gear is mostly meant to be regular stuff you could buy in a store or an important item that you've invested emotion into so it's charged with the power of that emotion. There'd be some cool super science stuff like ray guns and flying saucers and dimensional warp teleporters and stuff too.

I'm playing with the idea of using the characters' feelings and emotions as something mechanical, so they can make themselves feel better and heal emotional stress by thinking about a specific happy memory. They could channel a sense of positivity into an attack and tell the angry ghost a funny joke so he loses some of the anger that gives him power. Negative feelings would work similarly, where the angry ghost could say something really mean and make your character choke and lose their confidence. Again, EarthBound is the absolute main inspiration. The stuff about feelings and emotions as a mechanical thing probably came from Little Fears's belief magic.

My first question is do you think this is too close to Monster Of The Week? It occurred to me to look at that game because it deals with some similar themes, and I noticed some more similarities than I'd counted on. My game isn't about monster hunters, and I feel like I'm going for a different tone. I feel like there should end up being enough differences that I won't really be stepping on anyone's toes, but what do you guys think?

PrincessWuffles fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 22, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Most of the characters in Monster of the Week are definitely -not- ordinary people who discover some secret menace and band together to do something about it. They're secret government operatives, professional monster hunters with an extensive arsenal, magical warriors out of time, and so on. I think it's a very different flavor of monster fighting.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

PrincessWuffles posted:

Some of you might remember that I posted before about a Star Trek themed game, but I've put that on the back burner for now.

What I'm working on now is a game about ordinary (or mostly ordinary) people in a modern setting who discover that there's something wrong with the world and band together to do something about it. I just described a lot of things with that very generic sentence, so I'll clarify that my primary inspirations are video games like EarthBound and Mother 3, and movies and series like Stranger Things and E.T. There's bits and pieces of other things in there too. I'm going for science fiction and horror adventure in a modern or near-future setting with elements of the supernatural and scientific weirdness tangling up and playing out through the awakening of something like Apocalypse World's psychic maelstrom.

Characters are regular people or people who are just now awakening to their psychic abilities. I stole the idea of multiple dimensions of health from Marvel Heroic Role Playing, so there's a stress countdown for your physical, mental, and emotional stress. Gear is mostly meant to be regular stuff you could buy in a store or an important item that you've invested emotion into so it's charged with the power of that emotion. There'd be some cool super science stuff like ray guns and flying saucers and dimensional warp teleporters and stuff too.

I'm playing with the idea of using the characters' feelings and emotions as something mechanical, so they can make themselves feel better and heal emotional stress by thinking about a specific happy memory. They could channel a sense of positivity into an attack and tell the angry ghost a funny joke so he loses some of the anger that gives him power. Negative feelings would work similarly, where the angry ghost could say something really mean and make your character choke and lose their confidence. Again, EarthBound is the absolute main inspiration. The stuff about feelings and emotions as a mechanical thing probably came from Little Fears's belief magic.

My first question is do you think this is too close to Monster Of The Week? It occurred to me to look at that game because it deals with some similar themes, and I noticed some more similarities than I'd counted on. My game isn't about monster hunters, and I feel like I'm going for a different tone. I feel like there should end up being enough differences that I won't really be stepping on anyone's toes, but what do you guys think?

It actually sounds more like Fellowship with new playbooks than MotW to me.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Speaking vaguely of MOTW, this crossed my path earlier on G+ which might be relevant to some folks:

quote:

We want your mysteries! A not-so-secret cabal are going to put together a collection of Monster of the Week mysteries, and we need writers!

It will be a profit share gig, so each piece contributed will earn you a share of ongoing sales.

We’re interested in short (less than 1000 words), creative mysteries that have a cool concept and are easily adaptable to the users’ individual games.

I’ll be including my expanded weirdness rules for games that are more Fringe and X-Files than Supernatural and Buffy, as well, so mysteries that use those would also be appreciated. Get the draft at http://www.genericgames.co.nz/files/MotW_more_weirdness.pdf if you haven’t seen them.

We would also be interested in (in order of desirability) play advice, art, custom moves and other rules variants, and new hunter classes.

If you have ideas for other material, please write up one short sample mystery or other material (up to 500 words) and email it to me at michael.sands@genericgames.co.nz by the 18th of December 2016.

The 'no so secret cabal' is Michael Sands (author of MOTW) and... some other people? I don't know. I don't have a link to the original post so I can't tell you much more than this.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

malkav11 posted:

Most of the characters in Monster of the Week are definitely -not- ordinary people who discover some secret menace and band together to do something about it. They're secret government operatives, professional monster hunters with an extensive arsenal, magical warriors out of time, and so on. I think it's a very different flavor of monster fighting.
Good. This is what I hoped to get as a response. It doesn't really feel like quite the same thing to me either, but it's that whole urban/rural fantasy and magical powers and monsters thing. Cool. Thank you!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It actually sounds more like Fellowship with new playbooks than MotW to me.
I'm going to see what else I can find out about Fellowship. I know there's a thread on here somewhere. It looks good, but I also feel like it would be hard not to bleed over on something like Fellowship that's about something so quintessential to tabletop role playing, like a group of heroes joining together and traveling toward an inevitable battle with a dark lord. I don't know how to not step on that, but are there other things about it that seem similar to you? I realize I've puked up a back cover blurb and now I'm asking for an analysis, but I'm interested in whether this reads like something too close to just Fellowship in a modern setting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Okay, weird moves interaction here I need a hand with:

We have a Cuckoo. She has That Good and is taking Unashamed. When she's Unashamed as someone else, does the string she gives go on them?

Further to that, she has a friend, who knows she's a cuckoo. She's probably going to try and flirt with her as herself. If she's unashamed, does the friend get a string on themselves? And if so, how does that... like... what?

EDIT: For reference the friend is another PC, so it's not guaranteed she'll freak out and shred the feathers.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 26, 2016

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

The 'String on yourself' thing also comes up when you have a Neighbor who shouts their own name during sex, so I like that it's just a thing that only comes up in the dumbest of edge cases.

Edit: My assumptions in these cases is that Unashamed and That Good do work to shunt off a string onto whoever you're posing as, but that you're probably risking people not believing your disguise unless you're posing as someone who would actually act like that. (I *think* the string would still go onto the person you're dressed as, even if doing that breaks the disguise, which is a little weird, but I don't think you can interrupt one move to resolve another).

In cases of having a string on yourself, I assume you'd just spend it as if it were on another PC, in which case you could just use it to give yourself XP or maybe put a condition on yourself for some reason.

Doc Aquatic fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 26, 2016

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Doc Aquatic posted:

The 'String on yourself' thing also comes up when you have a Neighbor who shouts their own name during sex, so I like that it's just a thing that only comes up in the dumbest of edge cases.

Edit: My assumptions in these cases is that Unashamed and That Good do work to shunt off a string onto whoever you're posing as, but that you're probably risking people not believing your disguise unless you're posing as someone who would actually act like that. (I *think* the string would still go onto the person you're dressed as, even if doing that breaks the disguise, which is a little weird, but I don't think you can interrupt one move to resolve another).

In cases of having a string on yourself, I assume you'd just spend it as if it were on another PC, in which case you could just use it to give yourself XP or maybe put a condition on yourself for some reason.

Spending a string on yourself to give yourself a condition is what happens when you remember something dumb you did a while back and feel bad about it all over again. So it seems like a reasonable consequence of shouting your own name during sex.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can't use unashamed when you're showing off SOMEONE ELSE's body, so it's moot.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Golden Bee posted:

You can't use unashamed when you're showing off SOMEONE ELSE's body, so it's moot.

The Cuckoo's That Good makes it so that if someone get a String on you while you're pretending to be someone else then they get it on the person you're passing as. So in this case Unashamed would give the other person a String on whoever the Cuckoo is pretending to be.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Heliotrope posted:

The Cuckoo's That Good makes it so that if someone get a String on you while you're pretending to be someone else then they get it on the person you're passing as. So in this case Unashamed would give the other person a String on whoever the Cuckoo is pretending to be.

I think Bee means that if you're showing off your body with Unashamed, you're either removing clothing or not wearing it, i.e. you can't be under the effects of a disguise. I don't think that's what Unashamed means, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, on either count.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Relevant moves:

Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

That Good
While you're passing as someone, if anyone would gain a String on you, they instead gain it on the person you're passing as.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'd argue that if you're disguised as the person you're flirting with, and they don't choose to break your magic, you still aren't passing as then because they still know you aren't them, but are you, so the string would still be on you.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

GodFish posted:

I'd argue that if you're disguised as the person you're flirting with, and they don't choose to break your magic, you still aren't passing

Cutting off here, because if this is the case then they immediately trigger a roll:

"When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:"

I don't think, outside of Shredding the Looking Glass, it's actually possible to see the Cuckoo's cosplay and (assuming they pass the roll) not think they're that person, at least on a visceral level. I can imagine seeing two of the same person, or yourself, is generally a cause for Shredding, and I assume that someone who's aware of what the Cuckoo does can infer that this person their eyes are telling them is X is actually the Cuckoo (and would probably be able to Shred at will), but I don't think there's any way to dress up as someone else and not (potentially) pass as them when someone starts interacting with you.

EDIT: In this case, "Passing" seems to be the term for being in your illusion/shapeshifted state.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GodFish posted:

I'd argue that if you're disguised as the person you're flirting with, and they don't choose to break your magic, you still aren't passing as then because they still know you aren't them, but are you, so the string would still be on you.

I'd say that even if the person knows the Cuckoo is pretending to be someone else, That Good means that the Cuckoo is really good at acting like other people and so they still don't get Strings on the Cuckoo - even if you know that Bob is actually Alex the Cuckoo, Alex is still acting and reacting like Bob would and so you aren't gaining leverage or knowledge about Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I confused Unashamed with the Sex Move (which requires nakedness.)

I'd still say if you're Unashamed, you're unashamed of yourself. Which you can't use if you're pretending to be someone else. Not RAW but common sense.