Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LarksTongues
Mar 31, 2011

Metapod posted:

How has otto porter developed? I don't get to see him play often

Really well, he's taken the leap this year to legit 3rd option. His 3 ball is looking good, he hustles for boards and is playing sound d. Easily the most consistent starter on the team, im loving his game this year. With a remotely decent bench the wiz would be in good shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't understand why the Wiz are bad. With Wall, Beal, an improved Otto Porter, Gortat, and Morris in the East that should be an above average team easy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

LarksTongues posted:

Really well, he's taken the leap this year to legit 3rd option. His 3 ball is looking good, he hustles for boards and is playing sound d. Easily the most consistent starter on the team, im loving his game this year. With a remotely decent bench the wiz would be in good shape

They should already be in better shape than they are, something's up. Something fishy. Everyone hates Scott Brooks and Breadley Beal. And Ted

Steph's shoes caused Under Armor to lose 600 million dollars http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18093859/under-armour-stock-plummeted-ceo-says-latest-steph-curry-shoe-not-doing-well-expected

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 26, 2016

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Cool Buff Man posted:

They should already be in better shape than they are, something's up. Something fishy. Everyone hates Scott Brooks and Breadley Beal. And Ted

Steph's shoes caused Under Armor to lose 600 million dollars http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18093859/under-armour-stock-plummeted-ceo-says-latest-steph-curry-shoe-not-doing-well-expected

Of value, not actual $600 million in cash.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Strawberry Panda posted:

Of value, not actual $600 million in cash.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Breadley Beal lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the curry shoe release led underarmour executives to enter the top secret code CH3FD3F to gain access to the UA vault. They entered with a forklift and a palette and just started moving hundred thousand dollar stacks on hundred dollar stacks. Have you ever seen a 600 million dollars in person? It's smaller than you might think

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Lebron's the GOAT and Jordan will be remembered more as meme than basketball player hail satan

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wow, thanks for clearing that up.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but when WWE's stock price dropped every headline said they lost 500 million dollars and people thought legitimately 500 million dollars just disappeared.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

nachos posted:

Lebron's the GOAT and Jordan will be remembered more as meme than basketball player hail satan

After the Mavs game, a reporter asked Lebron about him making so many assists this season (9.5 per game) and he casually mentioned that he knows how every player on the team likes the seams of the basketball in their hand before they shoot so he makes sure when passing he has the ball in the correct position and puts the correct spin on the ball so the player doesn't have to adjust it when they catch. Who the hell even thinks about this and then has the skill to actually go out and do it? :psyduck:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently this is just because they have 4 days off and the Bulls want to get them burn?

The Rockets do this all the time to players. I bet it's rough if you are a young player. It's probably easier for the Bulls because it's not far from Chicago rather than flying down to the Rio Grande Valley.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

After the Mavs game, a reporter asked Lebron about him making so many assists this season (9.5 per game) and he casually mentioned that he knows how every player on the team likes the seams of the basketball in their hand before they shoot so he makes sure when passing he has the ball in the correct position and puts the correct spin on the ball so the player doesn't have to adjust it when they catch. Who the hell even thinks about this and then has the skill to actually go out and do it? :psyduck:

Lebron

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11067098/lebron-james-greatest-weapon-brain

the curry shoe release led underarmour executives to enter the top secret code CH3FD3F to gain access to the UA vault. They entered with a forklift and a palette and just started moving hundred thousand dollar stacks on hundred dollar stacks. Have you ever seen a 600 million dollars in person? It's smaller than you might think

Lmao

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

LeBron wisely dedicated all the useless energy that most men expend on growing hair to expanding his frontal lobe and making better basketball decisions. Big forehead = better basketball man.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

chunkles posted:

LeBron wisely dedicated all the useless energy that most men expend on growing hair to expanding his frontal lobe and making better basketball decisions. Big forehead = better basketball man.

The key to Michael Jordan's fraudulent success: he shined his bald head up, using the glare from the arena lights to blind his opponents.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://streamable.com/mbpz

Time to retire Dirk.

It's all arm

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

tanglewood1420 posted:

un real
super human

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This is a great article. Like, you can tell James is extremely smart just by watching him talk and seeing the thoughtful approach he puts into just about anything. I had no idea his memory was that good on top of everything else, but I'm not even remotely surprised.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bashez posted:

It's all arm

nah

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

:shrug:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Certain great athletes are basically geniuses. They see and process and understand poo poo normal people simply never could.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

looks to me like dirk shot it into kyries hand, which may or may not be a foul

http://videorulebook.nba.com/rule/point-of-contact-fouls/

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lebron is the Ted Williams of basketball B)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lebron rules so hard holy poo poo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AggressivelyStupid posted:

looks to me like dirk shot it into kyries hand, which may or may not be a foul

http://videorulebook.nba.com/rule/point-of-contact-fouls/

nah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't understand why the Wiz are bad. With Wall, Beal, an improved Otto Porter, Gortat, and Morris in the East that should be an above average team easy

I feel like other than Wall those guys are all overrated.

Man I guess all I need to be an all time basketball great is another ten inches in height and incredible basketball skills.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lebron's a guy who knows what you posted years ago without looking

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

I feel like other than Wall those guys are all overrated.

Markieff is still really bad compared to his good seasons in Phoenix.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

of his 4 losses: 1 was an obliteration that he experienced due to being from one of the weakest conferences ever (and subsequently wouldn't see the finals until 4 seasons later (celtics, magic, celtics). the next was against a Mavs team that had no business winning, but did and it was awesome.

Getting to the finals at age 22 is something most great players could never do. Most greats at the age don't even make the playoffs and then some get knocked out in R1.

The 2011 Mavericks were a good team fully meeting the requirements of winning a title (Heat/Lakers being the only other two). They were just under the radar because everything was about the Heat that year. Dirk/Chandler were both top 10 WS/48 guys. The vast majority of teams don't have two in the top 10 in a given year. A lot of champions only have one top ten guy.

RaySmuckles posted:

in my opinion he benefits more from physical superiority than basketball skill. many of his skills on both ends are inconsistent.

That's the whole NBA. There are guys with all kinds of basketball skills who'd never make the NBA because they're too short/weak. Same thing in a lot of other sports. There's a ton of lumbering big men prone to making mistakes that shorter guys wouldn't make.

What skills are you talking about?

RaySmuckles posted:

...i think its important to take his whole career and the context of his era...

This makes him look better compared to any of his predecessors.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

https://streamable.com/mbpz

Time to retire Dirk.

It's all arm

I thought he'd slow down this year but not this much. He's a negative WS guy so far. :eyepop:

RaySmuckles posted:

if the 2016 finals was an historic win that should count for him, the 2014 finals were an historic dismantling that should also count against him (also 2011 when he didn't perform well).

People rarely do that. I can't recall anyone lamenting over MJ being dismantled in the playoffs over and over again in the 1980s in recent years. And going even further to hold it against his career stature. Let's not forget the two retirement breaks too.

LBJ has more playoff WS than anyone at this point.

Spacebump posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of the 46% thought Dallas would be missing 4 (5 a few nights) of their top 6 players to start the season.

I didn't. I thought Dirk would slow down so I didn't pick them. I think I picked the Pelicans. I should stop doing that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LeBron is some kind of freak of nature.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Brolander posted:

Lebron's a guy who knows what you posted years ago without looking

Sorry about all my bad FYAD posts from '04, bron

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

LeBron is not as good as Michael Jordan jfc

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Lebron is way better than Jordan but Jordan isn't the GOAT so.

I think when Lebron hangs it up he will probably be. He's still not, yet.

This is my spicy hot take.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mandrel posted:

LeBron is not as good as Michael Jordan jfc

Bron is better. He didn't need Pippen to win a playoff series. (Or one of the greatest modern coaches to win a title.)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Libertine posted:

Lebron is way better than Jordan
lmao no if anything it's a mild matter of preference between scoring and versatility. LeBron has never been as effective as Jordan at scoring

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Stolen from Reddit but it shocked me enough.

Nik Stauskus is currently 5th in the league in TS% at 65.8%. He's also 4th in eFG%.

Still below 15 PER because he doesn't really do anything else, but the rolling behemoth that is the Process continues.

Philly should give Hinkie his job back.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

lmao no if anything it's a mild matter of preference between scoring and versatility. LeBron has never been as effective as Jordan at scoring

Jordan is the best midrange scorer of all time but that's the least valuable kind of offense. Lebron is a better inside and outside scorer, better passer, better rebounder, more athletic. I feel like the thing that too many 80s/90s players get passes on is outside shooting.

Also Lebron should pass Jordan's total games played next year so it should be a lot easier to directly compare them at that point. At this current point I feel like Lebron compares favorably on everything except ringzzzzz and midrange offense.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Libertine posted:

Jordan is the best midrange scorer of all time but that's the least valuable kind of offense. Lebron is a better inside and outside scorer, better passer, better rebounder, more athletic. I feel like the thing that too many 80s/90s players get passes on is outside shooting.

Also Lebron should pass Jordan's total games played next year so it should be a lot easier to directly compare them at that point. At this current point I feel like Lebron compares favorably on everything except ringzzzzz and midrange offense.
this...isn't true.

e: Jordan had a four year run where he scored >30ppg on >60%TS and used >32% of the Bulls possessions. He also like never turned the ball over. I'm all for making GBS threads on Michael Jordan, but please try to keep your criticism grounded in reality.

e2: if you erase the memory of Jordan's Wizards comeback, LeBron and Jordan have literally the same exact career TS%, but Jordan scored many more buckets and used more possessions.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

Jordan (minus the Washington years) and Lebron have identical TS%s. You claim Jordan's offense is less efficient, but he was exactly as efficient as Lebron is at turning possessions into points. So why again was MJs offense inferior?

His Chicago ORTG is a bit higher than Lebron's too, so Lebron's passing prowess (which is better than Jordans, though MJ is underrated there) doesn't do enough to push him over the top.

Again, comparing across Era's is stupid because no one in the 80s and 90s was playing a 3pt-oriented game so its not really fair to hold that against MJ. In the future I promise there will be some other paradigm that comes along and that shouldn't retroactively make Lebron worse.

• Locked thread