Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

My family is dead and I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

When someone sells a company and the buyer has the condition that everyone can stay except the previous owner, who can no longer be an employee or in any position of power, how is that not being fired?

How do they spin this how Roberts did not bankrupt a game development company? He had to have a company buy it or the game was dead forever and wouldn't be finished because he was already massively late and over budget. What research is going to change that?

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 26, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I.N.R.I posted:

Never heard of it

You should read Mr Smart's July 2015 blog post, it will clear everything up. He's a pretty big wheel around here

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

We imply a lot of thing. We imply that we'll go outside and have face-to-face interactions. We imply that we know how to cook things. We imply that existing backers will grief the hell out of people in SC if it becomes a real thing.

What I'm saying is, I like pgabz and his altered .cfg files.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

plape

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Why does a site doing news have a "Director of Fiction"?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I hope everybody who celebrates Thanksgiving has had a good one. It's kept me away from the CIG drama for a while. You could say my timeline was refactored for the holidays.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah sure, I guess if you're into games that are obviously inferior to Chris Roberts's cinematic masterpieces. Did any of the Lucasarts games feature giant downsy cat puppets? I didn't think so :colbert:

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen mocapped space toilet usage yet. You'd think that would be a top priority.

Seeing bullets will be models, so will poop.
They are saving showing off the 200 million poly poop model (with space corn nugget!)for next Citcon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Cheer up friend, it's christmas!!

You're a month early, guy!

Or eleven months late.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Skellybones posted:

You're a month early, guy!

Or eleven months late.

A merry christmas to you, none the less!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Same to you, and a Happy New Year!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Same to you, and a Happy New Year!

Thanks, P. Gabz!! :pgabz::pgabz::pgabz:

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Season's greetings everyone!! Hope everything is going well in your lives & that you all have a very merry christmahanakwanzika this holiday season!!

Can we please not have Christmas making GBS threads up the thread? We need to have some standards here.

tane.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

He made one for me.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

TheGodofIris posted:

Can we please not have Christmas making GBS threads up the thread? We need to have some standards here.

If Crobblers was in charge of Xmas:

"Don't worry little Johnny, Santa might not have shown up on the 25th December but the presents are imminent"

*cut to April*

"Johnny I'm getting tired of you asking where your presents are, don't you know you've already had them?"

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Check out this 'Grand Admiral'

In what world can you look at recent CIG offerings and think 'the pace has picked up'? It's just a crazy delusion brought on by the sunk cost fallacy.

2.0 was released a year ago. What noticeable improvements have been brought to the PU in that time? Clothing and a grotty little pirate outpost. 2.6 is overdue and if you ignore Star Marine (which was supposed to be released 18 months ago) even that adds gently caress all of value.

So yeah, start looking forward to the 3.0 release for when, if the promised features are delivered, Star Citizen will actually enter the state where it can be called an alpha, as opposed to a tech demo. Shame that will not be coming until the middle of next year at the earliest!

But hey, pace is picking up!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ahmini posted:

If Crobblers was in charge of Xmas:

"Don't worry little Johnny, Santa might not have shown up on the 25th December but the presents are imminent"

*cut to April*

"Johnny I'm getting tired of you asking where your presents are, don't you know you've already had them?"
The presents have been inside you all along :ohdearsass:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BitBasher posted:

When someone sells a company and the buyer has the condition that everyone can stay except the previous owner, who can no longer be an employee or in any position of power, how is that not being fired?

How do they spin this how Roberts did not bankrupt a game development company? He had to have a company buy it or the game was dead forever and wouldn't be finished because he was already massively late and over budget. What research is going to change that?

The same way they spin that SC's development is normal.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Good chart except it should flatline at around the 15% mark. :)

Also you need a second chart to show "promised/shown content" which needs to be a limit that immediately approaches infinity.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ooh I like this one! :D

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Do you know something we don't? Is this thread not going to last until then?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

More importantly: Why are they motion capturing this poo poo?! An animator can do your door peak in a day or two! :psyduck:

I know the answer, but I hate it. :(

Pretend for a moment you are Chris Roberts.

You are out of your depth with everything you tell the programmers. The only area you can contribute to your 133 million dollar project is the art department, and even then only by telling people what you think looks good. Your only "real contribution" is animation, not knowing that just because you video it doesn't mean it's immediately usable in the game because you're also crippled by ignorance.

Of course you will motion capture literally everything because you think you're helping to complete the game by getting all this hard stuff out of the way! And also because you're soooo good you also do all the little details and tedious stuff because you are totally doing hard grunt labor next to all your fellow employees. :downs:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

quote:

Daztek posted:
Wonder when they'll notice all they say is 'Just wait until <event/date/patch x> where they'll show <y> and Derek Smart will <z>' on repeat lol
Derek is just so increasingly smug about this poo poo sinking they feel compelled to fight it, in spite of the fact that there's no way to win against that sheer amount of smugness. As he escalates in confidence so too must they escalate in DREAMS.

:grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tau Wedel posted:

I wrote a thing:

Two Weeks
One hundred stars or more
A galaxy-spanning war
Schemes and intrigue, networks of trade
That was the promise Roberts made

One star, that's all we've got
There's nothing resembling plot
When we let missiles fly
the server's first to die
But we can dream

Two weeks!
Development's in overdrive
Two weeks!
Until the next patch goes live
and you'll see
that Star Citizen is the B-D-S-S-E

Though release day's far away
there's someone in here every day
As he touches a door
he tumbles through the floor
But we can dream

Two weeks!
Two weeks!
and you'll see

(Two weeks)
New ship in store
(Two weeks)
I'm buying four
(Two weeks)
'Cause as long as we spend
our dream will not end

Two weeks!
Two weeks!
and you'll see

Two weeks!
Two weeks!
and you'll see

Two weeks
Two weeks
Two weeks
Two weeks

:golfclap:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Enchanted Hat posted:

This is amazing. They completely changed EVERYTHING. Like, not a single thing is marked as "yeah, we completed that on schedule, and we're moving on to the next things". EVERYTHING is delayed or being refactored or improved.

This isn't even a project tracker, it's just a delay monitor.

Yes, that's because it was only shown to the backers in order to placate them. It has not rhyme, reason, or factual basis for its existence. None.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

The thing was out of date the minute they gave it to you. :psyduck:

2.6 is feature complete. All 2 ships and an S&M bar.

They are delaying release because they are incorporating more stuff (from 3.0?).

If your schedule bars keep growing, you don't know how to schedule, or there is big problems.

I think they will be happy if they just pull an ostentatious thread that has a bar that constantly advances a day, every day. It's always almost done!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Skellybones posted:

Do you know something we don't? Is this thread not going to last until then?

Star Citizen is going to be released on christmas!! :pgabz:

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know why you would say such things I just bought Star Citizen on steam for 80 and it's great.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think having an outside IK for this forum would be a good thing

Did anyone probate DrD for getting too ornery yet? He was pretty pissy for the pages I skimmed over

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Lol how high can this stack of cards go before it falls over?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Look! A Horse! posted:

I wonder what Doobie is up to

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Star Citizen is going to be released on christmas!! :pgabz:

Hell yeah! Set the controls for the heart of the sun :toot:

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

MeLKoR posted:

I only made it this far. Can you give us a TL;DR Derek?

e:

Say it ain't so Derek... Say it ain't so! :smugdon:

I want to get off Mr. Derek's Wild Ride.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

After the release of Star Citizen every game will take 200 million and 8 years to develop because this is clearly best practices.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SuperSpiff posted:

I want to get off Mr. Derek's Wild Ride.
No refunds you loving content locust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Wrecked Angle posted:

Check out this 'Grand Admiral'

In what world can you look at recent CIG offerings and think 'the pace has picked up'? It's just a crazy delusion brought on by the sunk cost fallacy.

2.0 was released a year ago. What noticeable improvements have been brought to the PU in that time? Clothing and a grotty little pirate outpost. 2.6 is overdue and if you ignore Star Marine (which was supposed to be released 18 months ago) even that adds gently caress all of value.

So yeah, start looking forward to the 3.0 release for when, if the promised features are delivered, Star Citizen will actually enter the state where it can be called an alpha, as opposed to a tech demo. Shame that will not be coming until the middle of next year at the earliest!

But hey, pace is picking up!
That's ok because the real focus of 2016 was on Squadron 42.

Which is why they have literally nothing presentable to show from Squadron 42.

• Locked thread