Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Munoma posted:

I'm a bit disappointed, I did the black Friday draw and all I received was Betelgeuse for Balthier and Lightbringer for Celes.

Welp at least I have two FF VI bursts now, my first being Blood Of the Espers.

Fixed that for you, and yeah, Celes' burst is crazy loving good so you drat well better be happy.

Kanos posted:

I lucked into OK burst and I'm seriously eyeing banner 2 because Refia burst is incredible and I'd really love OK's staff because it's a fantastic SSB in certain situations, but I'm terrified of all the Desch-based land mines on the banner.

Yeah, I'm seriously tempted but hesitant for the exact same reasons. I think though that I'm just going to save the fifty I could throw at it for a potential second pull on the Vaan OSB banner or a maybe even a fourth on Minfilia 1. Much as I want Refia's Burst or SSB to have her punch faces, it's just too likely I'll be disappointed in comparison to the bounty I could reap on those other two banners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Farm them along with black crystals from the FF8 ult next week. Then you too can be a hollow shell of a human being with Meltdown rank 2 to show for it, just like me.

Ooo, good idea. I tried to farm it this week in the FFIV event, no dice. At least having ice orb drops will ease the pain.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Pretty much all of the OSB banners are fantastic, and I have a sneaking suspicion that, given how they tweak banners and how we're missing the Brass de Bravo stuff, they're just going to roll that into OSBfest banners.

(Well, I mean, the alternatives are to run a banner entirely of SSBs during OSBfest, or stick us without five SSBs or so for quite a long while. And there's some obvious weak stuff to punt off...)

So I'm half expecting Fury Brand or Enrage or something to get kicked off a banner and Soulsong to show up in its place, leading to a moment of :aaaaa:

It's probably a good time to float some mythril for indeterminate purposes.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I do! Got some nice OSBs and BSBs too so I'm not thrilled with the idea of replacing an attacker.

Then as much as it might suck, I'd wait, or roll once if you have literally nothing from the OK banner 1 and can't stop yourself. OK banner 1 is a decent banner all around, but Minfilia 1 is god-like while also having a wall, and you already have a meta-defining hastega. If I were you, I'd try to wait.

edit: also OK BSSB is gonna be back like, a ton. You'll have another chance.

Aisar fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 26, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

Pretty much all of the OSB banners are fantastic, and I have a sneaking suspicion that, given how they tweak banners and how we're missing the Brass de Bravo stuff, they're just going to roll that into OSBfest banners.

(Well, I mean, the alternatives are to run a banner entirely of SSBs during OSBfest, or stick us without five SSBs or so for quite a long while. And there's some obvious weak stuff to punt off...)

So I'm half expecting Fury Brand or Enrage or something to get kicked off a banner and Soulsong to show up in its place, leading to a moment of :aaaaa:

It's probably a good time to float some mythril for indeterminate purposes.

Yeah, Banner 3 is my current target but depending on shifts I might go Banner 1 instead.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

You pulled Celes' Lightbringer and you're disappointed?

Yeah, I sort of hate the character. :barf:

I was pleased to get a weapon for Balthier though, now I have two guns *The other being lightning's* and four FF XII unique breaks. Mist Overload, Northwains Glow, and Maelstrom's Bolt.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Munoma posted:

Yeah, I sort of hate the character. :barf:

I was pleased to get a weapon for Balthier though, now I have two guns *The other being lightning's* and four FF XII unique breaks. Mist Overload, Northwains Glow, and Maelstrom's Bolt.

now I'm curious, who are your favorite ff characters

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Aisar posted:

Then as much as it might suck, I'd wait, or roll once if you have literally nothing from the OK banner 1 and can't stop yourself. OK banner 1 is a decent banner all around, but Minfilia 1 is god-like while also having a wall, and you already have a meta-defining hastega. If I were you, I'd try to wait.

Also worthy of note; Part of the reason Minfilia/Alphinaud/FF14/whatever you call it Banner 1 is so good is that it has Deployment Tactics on it.

Deployment Tactics does not play nice with Onion Knight's Burst; It's Attack/Mag +30% and Radiant Shield(deal damage to the dealer=to damage taken, yes this is five times for multi-target attacks) on all characters.

So the buff completely and utterly clashes with Onion Knight's, with the primary damage up effect not stacking... and you are actually a fair deal more likely to get Tactics off that banner than you are to get Onion's Burst, because it's an SSB and not a Burst. So, it's not the end of the world if you didn't get Onion Knight's badass buff, because the people that did are probably drawing on both banners and, in a month or so, get to choose between which of the two they want to use(or if they want to just use both and run them both for secondary effects, which feels sorta wasteful).

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

Also worthy of note; Part of the reason Minfilia/Alphinaud/FF14/whatever you call it Banner 1 is so good is that it has Deployment Tactics on it.

Deployment Tactics does not play nice with Onion Knight's Burst; It's Attack/Mag +30% and Radiant Shield(deal damage to the dealer=to damage taken, yes this is five times for multi-target attacks) on all characters.

So the buff completely and utterly clashes with Onion Knight's, with the primary damage up effect not stacking... and you are actually a fair deal more likely to get Tactics off that banner than you are to get Onion's Burst, because it's an SSB and not a Burst. So, it's not the end of the world if you didn't get Onion Knight's badass buff, because the people that did are probably drawing on both banners and, in a month or so, get to choose between which of the two they want to use(or if they want to just use both and run them both for secondary effects, which feels sorta wasteful).

As I said before when it happened, making the Behemoth Ultimate+ for the WoFF banner eat 25k in Counter damage when I accidentally triggered its Meteor was a delight. Deployment Tactics is awesome.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Aisar posted:

now I'm curious, who are your favorite ff characters

*flips out phone*

Characters I like that I have unique equipment for.

Tidus Apocalypse and Seeker Sheild.
Rosa Artemis Bow +
Gilgamesh Masamune +
Setzer Cards +
Rikku Force Knuckles +

Characters I don't like but I have equipment for or don't like the soul break

Sephiroth One-Winged Angel *my first five draw actually*
Vanille Wyrmfang *I think it could restore more health*
Zidane Butterfly Sword + Orichalcum *Zidane is my favorite FF protagonist but he's way too squishy in this game for me.*
Zack Buster Sword VII-CC *Yeah, no*
Aerith Aurora Rod *Useless soul break for the most part unless you're fighting someone who's physical and slow IMO*

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Aisar posted:

Yeah, I wanted OK not for the Boost, but because I don't have a faithga at all yet, and my lack of magical power is occasionally a huge pain in the rear end.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Munoma posted:

*flips out phone*

Characters I like that I have unique equipment for.

Tidus Apocalypse and Seeker Sheild.
Rosa Artemis Bow +
Gilgamesh Masamune +
Setzer Cards +
Rikku Force Knuckles +

Characters I don't like but I have equipment for or don't like the soul break

Sephiroth One-Winged Angel *my first five draw actually*
Vanille Wyrmfang *I think it could restore more health*
Zidane Butterfly Sword + Orichalcum *Zidane is my favorite FF protagonist but he's way too squishy in this game for me.*
Zack Buster Sword VII-CC *Yeah, no*
Aerith Aurora Rod *Useless soul break for the most part unless you're fighting someone who's physical and slow IMO*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPZRJNO3Eg

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
What can I say, I have a soft spot for support and defense.

LornMarkus posted:

Fixed that for you, and yeah, Celes' burst is crazy loving good so you drat well better be happy.

No....

I'm just going to put this out there. I'd be happier than a pig in poo poo if I had Ark Blast and Prayer of the Lost.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 26, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, that was a paradoxically harrowing and yet completely safe last 30%. Have to go for the mastery another time.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 26, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Looking for some advice after rolling Tifa and Zidane BSBs -

These are literally the only 2 damaging BSBs I have with my main damage right now being Tidus OSB. otherwise I was relying on Balthier doing his Fire debuff SSB and doing firaga strikes afterwards and lightning doing power chain full charge combo in between SSBs.

So right now it's looking like my damaging party is Tidus, Zidane, Tifa.

Tidus is great. He can do power chain full charge if I want or he can do the Shooter skills which are boosted by his OSB. His OSB hits very hard too.

Zidane is also great. Nice skill set, Thief 5 is always welcome. His burst is stat steals which are great (the boost one doesn't stack with shout but it's still a debuff) and I think it all stacks with the 6* thief skill too. Or just a standard Thief's Revenge/Lifesiphon is good on him. Altogether I think I'll be using him for some time.

Tifa... I can't figure out. Like literally no skills other than combat and Monk. I guess monks are getting better skills now at least. Her burst is a standard 4hit/2hit aoe... Of earth damage? And she boosts earth? That new monk skill that does earth doesn't stack with shout either.

I'm starting to think I should use OK burst instead of shout and have Tifa and Zidane benefit from stacking their attack buffs ?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I really just want a shout or some kinda hastega at this point. Zidane and Cloud are cool enough to be on the main team but man do I want to bench Tyro and his loving SG for someone else that provides a damage up or haste or both :(

though i really wish i had cecil or bartz's bsbs :(

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Zyla posted:

yo ucan do solo raid bosses in multiplayer now for 0 stam and it will drop and unlock missing rms if you meet the criterion to unlock them otherwise

This owns. 4 free RMs so far.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Servaetes posted:

I really just want a shout or some kinda hastega at this point. Zidane and Cloud are cool enough to be on the main team but man do I want to bench Tyro and his loving SG for someone else that provides a damage up or haste or both :(

Depending on what changes are applied to them, Banner 1, 3 and 4 of OSB Fest all have the potential to solve those problems for you. Well, aside from wanting Cecil and Bartz' BSB, neither of those are on them.

Edit: Actually Banner 5 too, as it's should have Celes' BSB and Gordon's Boostga/Faithga Spear on it.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 26, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Servaetes posted:

Buttz's bsb is ok but it doesn't really shine unless the boss has a weakness to one of the elements

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Looking for some advice after rolling Tifa and Zidane BSBs -

These are literally the only 2 damaging BSBs I have with my main damage right now being Tidus OSB. otherwise I was relying on Balthier doing his Fire debuff SSB and doing firaga strikes afterwards and lightning doing power chain full charge combo in between SSBs.

So right now it's looking like my damaging party is Tidus, Zidane, Tifa.

Tidus is great. He can do power chain full charge if I want or he can do the Shooter skills which are boosted by his OSB. His OSB hits very hard too.

Zidane is also great. Nice skill set, Thief 5 is always welcome. His burst is stat steals which are great (the boost one doesn't stack with shout but it's still a debuff) and I think it all stacks with the 6* thief skill too. Or just a standard Thief's Revenge/Lifesiphon is good on him. Altogether I think I'll be using him for some time.

Tifa... I can't figure out. Like literally no skills other than combat and Monk. I guess monks are getting better skills now at least. Her burst is a standard 4hit/2hit aoe... Of earth damage? And she boosts earth? That new monk skill that does earth doesn't stack with shout either.

I'm starting to think I should use OK burst instead of shout and have Tifa and Zidane benefit from stacking their attack buffs ?

The Meteor Crush monk skill doesn't stack with Shout, no, but it's the same 50% so it will not step on Ramza's toes at all. It's still a solid 2 hit attack without that boost attached so using it for damage isn't really that big a deal. It's the same deal with Zidane's burst command. The benefit you could have to using an OK BSB is that those will stack together, and in Tifa's case it means she can potentially hit the threshold for 5 hits on Lifebane.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

IcePhoenix posted:

Buttz's bsb is ok but it doesn't really shine unless the boss has a weakness to one of the elements

It's more the principle of Bartz and Cecil being really rad characters and some of my favorites, next to Edge and Shadow more than anything else, really. But yeah, I figure Shout or OK or something over Tyro would be delightful because while I love the utility Tyro offers, he's very much dead weight in terms of damage on either end of the spectrum, plus as far as I understand Wall is getting less and less important.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This owns. 4 free RMs so far.

Is there really a point to the raid dungeons or is it just a silly gimmick?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Munoma posted:

Is there really a point to the raid dungeons or is it just a silly gimmick?
They're still in beta, once they aren't they start costing stamina and also giving nice rewards, notably 4* motes.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
When is there a chance at keepers tome again? I think that "might" be the last debuff I need to stack every debuff besides a few imperils.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I tried multiplayer and it's not so bad. Seemed pretty easy to figure out. I brought in a support-based team of Vaan and OK, both with their BSBs. The first time though somehow OK didn't have his soul breaks right and only had Turbo Hit so that's all I had. Is that a good sort of combo to bring to that sort of thing? I guess I don't need to worry about it for now since the real fights aren't around yet. But it seemed to work ok. Most of the other people in there were set up for DPS it looked like.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Meteor Crush monk skill doesn't stack with Shout, no, but it's the same 50% so it will not step on Ramza's toes at all. It's still a solid 2 hit attack without that boost attached so using it for damage isn't really that big a deal. It's the same deal with Zidane's burst command. The benefit you could have to using an OK BSB is that those will stack together, and in Tifa's case it means she can potentially hit the threshold for 5 hits on Lifebane.

Yeah I tried out stacking self buffs and OK burst, but I think you start running into that stat stacking softcap this way too. Another benefit though is that OK is still a burst and whoever activates it also gets that nice little stat bonus and free powerchain for themselves.

As for lifebane turns out the requirements are stupidly high according to the PDF. Right now with as much attack equipment as possible my Tifa at level 80 hits 360 attack.

To get 5 hits while stacking Shout, Meteor Crush, AND 20% attack boosting RM... You need 433 attack.

With FF7 synergy I get to 481 so it's possible but monk equipment selection is a bit poo poo so it's not gonna be possible most of the time. And then anyway you need to hone lifebane unless you wanna do that twice. Meteor crush with earth boost is almost the same multiplier.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, there's not a lot of science to how you use someone with Combat 4+ and a BSB that imperils its own element: charge your SB by Lifesiphon or by crook and spam spam spam

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

I tried multiplayer and it's not so bad. Seemed pretty easy to figure out. I brought in a support-based team of Vaan and OK, both with their BSBs. The first time though somehow OK didn't have his soul breaks right and only had Turbo Hit so that's all I had. Is that a good sort of combo to bring to that sort of thing? I guess I don't need to worry about it for now since the real fights aren't around yet. But it seemed to work ok. Most of the other people in there were set up for DPS it looked like.

As I understand it they only have the Soul breaks if they have the gear that grants it equipped, old school style. Gives a little extra advantage to bringing Synergy characters since they're the only ones you can deck out in full Synergy gear.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

LornMarkus posted:

As I understand it they only have the Soul breaks if they have the gear that grants it equipped, old school style. Gives a little extra advantage to bringing Synergy characters since they're the only ones you can deck out in full Synergy gear.

Oh no you don't have to do that. I just had to go into the menu and equip it and it was fine. At least I think this was the case I'll check again next time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wizard on a water slide posted:

I mean, there's not a lot of science to how you use someone with Combat 4+ and a BSB that imperils its own element: charge your SB by Lifesiphon or by crook and spam spam spam

Ya maybe I'm overthinking this

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah I tried out stacking self buffs and OK burst, but I think you start running into that stat stacking softcap this way too. Another benefit though is that OK is still a burst and whoever activates it also gets that nice little stat bonus and free powerchain for themselves.

As for lifebane turns out the requirements are stupidly high according to the PDF. Right now with as much attack equipment as possible my Tifa at level 80 hits 360 attack.

To get 5 hits while stacking Shout, Meteor Crush, AND 20% attack boosting RM... You need 433 attack.

With FF7 synergy I get to 481 so it's possible but monk equipment selection is a bit poo poo so it's not gonna be possible most of the time. And then anyway you need to hone lifebane unless you wanna do that twice. Meteor crush with earth boost is almost the same multiplier.

This is kind of the main advantage of Sabin's BSB. Being able to wear a 40% monk damage RM from making him level 99 lets lifebane be effectively a SSB level multiplier once you've built up his command 1 enough.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

Oh no you don't have to do that. I just had to go into the menu and equip it and it was fine. At least I think this was the case I'll check again next time.

Yes, it's just like setting up your roaming warrior. You have to set up your SBs and gear and all that separately for Multiplayer. I ended up doing the same thing the first time I tried it out too; brought 2 characters kited out for BSBs, but didn't know you actually had to equip the BSBs again for multiplayer and got stuck doing a whole lot of nothing for the fight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'll probably have enough mythril for another 11 pull on Onion Knight, but I'm debating whether to pull on 1 or 2. I already got the Onion Sword from banner 1, and I don't feel like I'm lucky enough to get the Gauntlets. Plus, it'd be neat to have the Eternal Staff too so OK could fill a magic role too, and apparently Refia's BSB is really good. On the other hand, everyone is saying that there's a lot of bad relics on 2? I'd hate to get stuck with something lousy.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll probably have enough mythril for another 11 pull on Onion Knight, but I'm debating whether to pull on 1 or 2. I already got the Onion Sword from banner 1, and I don't feel like I'm lucky enough to get the Gauntlets. Plus, it'd be neat to have the Eternal Staff too so OK could fill a magic role too, and apparently Refia's BSB is really good. On the other hand, everyone is saying that there's a lot of bad relics on 2? I'd hate to get stuck with something lousy.

If you get anything for Desch from banner 2 its kind of lame. Everything else on the banner is really solid however, between Refia/Ignis BSB/SSB's and Onion's Magic SSB/Medica its still real solid and making me consider a pull since we got all this extra mythril from Thanksgiving.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Is there anything worth pulling on between now and FFXIV? I'd pull on XI, but we probably aren't getting that, and I'm hesitant to pull for Rinoa OSB since I already have Selphie BSB.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is there anything worth pulling on between now and FFXIV? I'd pull on XI, but we probably aren't getting that, and I'm hesitant to pull for Rinoa OSB since I already have Selphie BSB.

OSB Fest has pretty good stuff depending on what, if anything changes coming to us. Otherwise . . . Quistis' BSB is really good? :shrug:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

My take on Onion 2;

You've got two really good Bursts. Refia's is the current best physical damage command 1 and good stat buffs in general-and by best physical damage, I mean Refia BSB mostly isn't worth pairing Fires Within with, because outside of the lack of self-heal and range it's pretty much the same thing after crits. Ingus is a Drawtaliate in a can and pretty similar to Gilgamesh BSB on someone more support-y.

You have Blowback-a Wrathable Medica that does good magic damage.

Then... you have Gaia's Vengeance(which is good, nearly 8x ST and Sentinel on a huge tank)... and then a bunch of weird niche moves. Blazing Fists is all about self-buffs(nearly 8x ST, self-haste, Attack/Def +35%) and mostly about making Lifebane work, and if you're not too interested in scaping up all the buffs needed to make it work, it's probably not going to make her enter your A-Team. Roiling Memories is 18x lightning, Imperil Lightning, self Mag+30% and good if you have a stacking Faithga(I'm... not quite sure why people hate on this so much), and Desch has solid Mag and a bunch of weird niche utility stuff, but if you are using standard Sheepsong it's a lot less special. And his Unique is an en-element, but it's also multiple target, multiple hit Thundaja, so ... there's that.

So what you have mostly is... three really good moves, IMO, then a bunch of weird stuff that I can't really call bad, but to varying degrees also can't be impressed with. Weird banner.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'd wait for OSBFest, personally, but if you want, you could take a look at the FF5 event coming up. Banner 1 is real, both Galuf and Krile's BSBs are very good, it has Sheepsong, Moore Branch/Bartz Cloak are the booby prizes, has Dorgann's Sword for another alternate Faithga, has... well, one of the worst OSBs ever, but it's an OSB! and it is, you know, on Gilgamesh... etc.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

How big of a boon would OK BSB be (i.e. do you already have both a physical and magic boostga of some kind) and what's your III synergy like? If the answer is "nice but not vital" and "I'm okay with it", at least, I'd just save the mithril for future banners, especially OSBfest.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I've gone back to my spreadsheet to add all the recurring event dungeons (Nightmare/Mote/Torment Mote), but I have a few translation questions remaining for those who know written Japanese or are familiar with JP play. In particular, there will be three new accessories available from the upcoming Nightmare dungeons. How should I translate these? I'm not certain if those reference anything in the mainline games. (Sniper Soul, Meteor Pendant, ??? Headband? Google Translate couldn't get me close enough.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

??? Headband?
I don't recognize any of them as being from FF games, but this translates to "Super Guts Headband"

• Locked thread