Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

AnacondaHL posted:

If you were talking about Adventures for HoT masteries, here ya go!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ifrmo/guide_adventures_silver_gold_and_beyond/

In summary, from easiest to hardest:

Not sure i agree with this list.

Fallen Masks is nigh impossible and requires extreme luck as well as no fumbling with the environment, easily the hardest gold adventure to the point where the second hardest one cannot be more than 8/10 in comparison. (shooting Gallery and The FLoor is Lava)
Scrap Rifle Field test gold is not all that hard, 7/10 maybe, definitely not 10/10.
A Fungos Among Us is downright easy, 4/10 gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Scrap rifle test is easily the hardest one of them all for me. Granted, I'm not all that good at Adventures anyway, but I have never even gotten close to gold on that one. Of course it might be down to technique too. Shooting gallery is also near impossible, as is Floor is lava. Fungus among us is easy when you know the right path, although I haven't bothered with that one after getting that one run that netted me gold. Also I've never got gold on Tendril torchers, but that might again be just me, since others seem to think it's doable.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Tendril torchers required me to run it a couple of times to remember where all the tendrils for gold are, since there's a lot that's hidden away in a corner somewhere and once you know where all those are it becomes a lot easier.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

the hidden wizard strikes again

Amazing.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

where the red fern gropes posted:

the hidden wizard strikes again

"I dunno guys, with those sick deals from pvpbank I didn't see a downside giving my username and password to someone named asdfyeqbh in game."

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Oh come on, that poo poo is not real. Guy is just trolling for money.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ineptitude posted:

Not sure i agree with this list.

Fallen Masks is nigh impossible and requires extreme luck as well as no fumbling with the environment, easily the hardest gold adventure to the point where the second hardest one cannot be more than 8/10 in comparison. (shooting Gallery and The FLoor is Lava)
Scrap Rifle Field test gold is not all that hard, 7/10 maybe, definitely not 10/10.
A Fungos Among Us is downright easy, 4/10 gold.

I actually somewhat agree personally, but I adjusted the list for general use because it was for the guide, including players with high ping and lower end computers, and, well, less insanity to grind out the skills needed to complete these.

It's adjusted based on what I can gather from the lifetime ranking too: Not very many people have actually achieved gold in Scrap Rifle despite trying.

And I've spent so many endless hours on A Fungus Among Us that I can't even tell how hard it is for a normal player anymore. Based on the feedback I get on my youtube guide (SHAMLESS PLUUUG), it looks like just a few tactics and a bit of direction really help get that gold though.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

malhavok posted:

Of course he is. It's Dreggon's responses, not the idiot's sob story that makes it awesome.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 27, 2016

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

malhavok posted:

ether way it's fun to poke fun at.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With all these new event filled maps opening up, isn't it spreading the player population a bit thin between them and everything else? or has there been enough people to populate everything still?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't have any trouble getting the dailies done on all three maps tonight. People were shouting about needing DPS on the jade construct event, but they've been doing that since Bloodstone Fen went live.

Since you can break the local currencies down into Unbound Magic, and everything costs a shitton of the stuff, it's definitely worth it to go around and do the dailies in the other zones.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Adhesive Gamin posted:

There aren't really well publicized solo builds because most of the open world/solo content is either faceroll easy, or a group event or champion that you're not really supposed to be soloing and already need to know your class well to beat. The HoT maps are full of mobs that are actually sort of a challenge to fight, but you can usually get away with using the typical full DPS gear and builds with some minor exceptions, e.g. the Tactics line on a Warrior isn't that great when you're alone and can be swapped with pretty much anything else. There's also no shame in using a ranged weapon and kiting things that would crush you in melee, since you're not slowing down a group.

The Thief dodging everything thing comes a lot from PvP where they tend to run burst damage builds with a lot of effects that restore endurance, evade, blind, stun, teleport away, etc. and are played by people whose sole interest in life is to kill people with their Thief in PvP. So you end up fighting a group of 4 people who are average to good with a couple classes and one rear end in a top hat in a black and white scarf with that flower hair and fire dagger who completely no-sells you again god damnit Respawning in 15

I see

How would you rate thief for open world PVE soloing for a build made for that purpose? And how wold that build look? I am talking about veterans, champions, etc. While i agree that some PVE areas are faceroll easy, that stops with veterans in tyria. Anything in HoT is challenging, veterans and champions particularly so. Also the attitude that PVE is faceroll easy and that builds arent required is the reason meta events fail. People need to stop saying this as it only ever was true for random enemies in the Tyria open world.
I don't agree that champions should not be soloed, because what else is there to strive for in this game? Spam AB multimaps for gold and eventually get a legendary? For what?

I am still trying to find a "main" to stick with and fully ascend and maybe even get a legendary on, but i don't feel like my quest so far has been successful. I have leveled all 9 professions to HoT-max now and have played them all a decent amount, some more than others. Again and again i find it a lot more fun to play professions that has slight semblance of staying power in fights.
Playing most professions feels like a desperate attempt to stave of the inevitable defeat, while frantically rummaging through my skills lists trying to find something, anything, that works, before dying. And this is just in HP fights or metas. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to play most of the professions in the LW2 or HoT story missions. The whole philosophy around this game is that there is no holy trinity, no tanks or healers, and that you are supposed to survive with your heal skill and dodges yet there is such a ridiculous amount of things to dodge you run out of endurance long before you are done dodging, on top of there being a ton of flat out unavoidable damage.

So far druid, necro, guardian and (surprisingly) thief has been the most enjoyable to play. All because i am able to survive for a while with these professions. Druid and necro because they have great sustain and i find condi an interesting play style.Thief because staff is cool and i am able to stay alive for a surprisingly long time. Guardian mostly because i like the "paladin" archetype and a plate wearer with a longbow is pretty cool. I haven't really found a great guardian solo build yet though, even though they are supposed to be great soloer.
I would also like to try "THE solo build" for thief, as it is still not clear to me if that is what i am playing atm?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

passive regen is king

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

So far druid, necro, guardian and (surprisingly) thief has been the most enjoyable to play. All because i am able to survive for a while with these professions. Druid and necro because they have great sustain and i find condi an interesting play style.Thief because staff is cool and i am able to stay alive for a surprisingly long time. Guardian mostly because i like the "paladin" archetype and a plate wearer with a longbow is pretty cool. I haven't really found a great guardian solo build yet though, even though they are supposed to be great soloer.
I would also like to try "THE solo build" for thief, as it is still not clear to me if that is what i am playing atm?

I played thief for ages (didn't care much for daredevil), it was my favorite playstyle. Switched to revenant as soon as I tried it in HoT, mimics a lot of the thief's playstyle while in Shiro stance and is just sturdier and more versatile to boot.

That said, nothing in Tyria or HoT open world should really be a problem for thief if you're using D/D and backstabbing things until you can Heartseeker them to death. Shortbow helps by giving you a ranged option and the dodge on the 3 skill makes it really easy to survive. Certain hero points & events in HoT will always be difficult because they're just not meant to be soloed.

The story missions should not be giving anyone problems.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
Did two meta events on my engineer and did some of the living season. HOPE is probably a huge factor why I'm enjoying it plus the finger fuckery you gotta do swapping between kits. I still hate the fact anet have done virtually nothing for legendary weapon effects between engineer kits besides the tool belt grenade toss. Why can't my flamethrower shoot some rainbow plasma poo poo ghostbusters style? :colbert:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ineptitude posted:

I see

How would you rate thief for open world PVE soloing for a build made for that purpose? And how wold that build look? I am talking about veterans, champions, etc. While i agree that some PVE areas are faceroll easy, that stops with veterans in tyria. Anything in HoT is challenging, veterans and champions particularly so. Also the attitude that PVE is faceroll easy and that builds arent required is the reason meta events fail. People need to stop saying this as it only ever was true for random enemies in the Tyria open world.
I don't agree that champions should not be soloed, because what else is there to strive for in this game? Spam AB multimaps for gold and eventually get a legendary? For what?

I am still trying to find a "main" to stick with and fully ascend and maybe even get a legendary on, but i don't feel like my quest so far has been successful. I have leveled all 9 professions to HoT-max now and have played them all a decent amount, some more than others. Again and again i find it a lot more fun to play professions that has slight semblance of staying power in fights.
Playing most professions feels like a desperate attempt to stave of the inevitable defeat, while frantically rummaging through my skills lists trying to find something, anything, that works, before dying. And this is just in HP fights or metas. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to play most of the professions in the LW2 or HoT story missions. The whole philosophy around this game is that there is no holy trinity, no tanks or healers, and that you are supposed to survive with your heal skill and dodges yet there is such a ridiculous amount of things to dodge you run out of endurance long before you are done dodging, on top of there being a ton of flat out unavoidable damage.

I can't read a single word of this post before my eyes glaze over so I'm just going to suggest that you get good, and hit it until it dies, while also not getting hit.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Did two meta events on my engineer and did some of the living season. HOPE is probably a huge factor why I'm enjoying it plus the finger fuckery you gotta do swapping between kits. I still hate the fact anet have done virtually nothing for legendary weapon effects between engineer kits besides the tool belt grenade toss. Why can't my flamethrower shoot some rainbow plasma poo poo ghostbusters style? :colbert:

I'd get HOPE and an engineer just for the ghostbusters gun.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
gently caress smokescales and modrem guard snipers and those stupid frogs with bows in HoT areas. I think the smokescales are the worst because they can aggro you and remove a chunk from your health if you're too slow at spamming dodge. By too slow I mean oops its already too late. Honorable mention to rolling devils who just seem to chase you forever.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Just a heads up: shared slots are currently on sale

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Just a heads up: shared slots are currently on sale

Buy More Gems Dude

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Don't tempt me, I'm trying to hold off in the hope that bank tabs and/or storage expanders go on sale.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Right after the silver salvage-o-matic goes on sale and vanishes again, of course.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I don't suppose the level 80 boosters ever show up in the store. I have a bunch of level 30-50 chars and I can't ever work up the will to grind them to 80.

I did it for an engy during the lions arch event and it made the game so unfun that I got to 80 and didn't play again for 2 months.

What is the best way to level a new char right now? I'm lacking books, so I can only boost them to 30 and have to the rest the old fashioned way.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't suppose the level 80 boosters ever show up in the store. I have a bunch of level 30-50 chars and I can't ever work up the will to grind them to 80.

I did it for an engy during the lions arch event and it made the game so unfun that I got to 80 and didn't play again for 2 months.

What is the best way to level a new char right now? I'm lacking books, so I can only boost them to 30 and have to the rest the old fashioned way.

You get Tomes of knowledge from dailies every month, and I hear that WvW tracks are another good source.

Outside of that any recent event with lots of people killing mobs (that give exp), doing lots of events and using xp boosters.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Tomes of knowledge practically rain from the sky no matter what you do, i keep buying character slots just because i have so many and i still can't get under 150 or so.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

malhavok posted:

Tomes of knowledge practically rain from the sky no matter what you do, i keep buying character slots just because i have so many and i still can't get under 150 or so.

You'd be surprised, I worked out how many more tomes I need to level all my remaining pre-80 alts to cap if I do nothing else with them but use tomes for exp, and if I wait til Feb 27th, when I'll have a new fourth birthday level 40 scroll and five third-birthday level 30 scrolls (so I can level six currently level 2 alts to 40 and 30, instead of 20) I'll only have to get 610 of them instead of 680. So yes I need a lot more.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Dungeons. Dungeons all the time.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Illuyankas posted:

You'd be surprised, I worked out how many more tomes I need to level all my remaining pre-80 alts to cap if I do nothing else with them but use tomes for exp, and if I wait til Feb 27th, when I'll have a new fourth birthday level 40 scroll and five third-birthday level 30 scrolls (so I can level six currently level 2 alts to 40 and 30, instead of 20) I'll only have to get 610 of them instead of 680. So yes I need a lot more.

Your case is not the norm, if you have like one dude of each class you'll have enough times just by logging in.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sprite141 posted:

Your case is not the norm, if you have like one dude of each class you'll have enough times just by logging in.

10 pre 80 alts? How many goddamn characters do you have?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I have one of every class plus an extra Guardian because I just don't like playing as Charr. These people with 20+ characters seriously weird me out.

The game is good but there are a lot of other good games to play.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Inzombiac posted:

Man, I have one of every class plus an extra Guardian because I just don't like playing as Charr. These people with 20+ characters seriously weird me out.

The game is good but there are a lot of other good games to play.

Nobody actually plays their alts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have my alts for crafting and that's about it. (that doesn't mean I don't have them equipped with good gear.) Not even every class because I just can't get a feel for the Engineer and the Revenant. It's handy for something like collecting winterberries too, or anything character-bound.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sekkira posted:

I don't understand why someone needs more than 1 alt of the same class.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
why would you even need one alt of the same class? Just have one of each class and do other things with your time

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

knowonecanknow posted:

Nobody actually plays their alts.

Yeah sure but, at the very least, they are purchasing slots with real money to make more characters that just sit there like a bunch of dolls.

Oh wait, I get it now. It's like every creepy anime room I've seen. Just toe to tip full of busty anime ladies.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah sure but, at the very least, they are purchasing slots with real money to make more characters that just sit there like a bunch of dolls.

Oh wait, I get it now. It's like every creepy anime room I've seen. Just toe to tip full of busty anime ladies.

i have a friend who does exactly this and she has something like ~45 characters, it's the weirdest loving thing and I don't understand it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nickhimself posted:

why would you even need one alt of the same class? Just have one of each class and do other things with your time

That's what I meant, one of each class

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

nickhimself posted:

Sylvari Take Root condi build cheese
Asura Technobabble breakbar cheese
Human Avatar of Melandru unnecessarily long immob cheese
Charr Charrzooka whoops they forgot to patch the launch skill shhh don't tell them cheese
Norn...I think they fixed all the cheese, erm, ... giant moustache

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Sekkira posted:

Huh? I have one character for each class, that's all. Except for rev, I've not made one of those yet.

And all but one is max level already, most of them leveled the old fashioned way (crafting food) within the first few years of release. I think you should have quoted illuyankas, who has one character for each race/class combination or something like that.

Edit: unless I'm thinking of another goon...

Double edit: Oh, you were thinking alt as in a double of each class. No guys, my main is my ranger, all other characters are alt characters.

If someone asks do you main an ele, you don't say I have mains and alts for each class but ele is the only class I have no alts on yet.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sprite141 posted:

I think you should have quoted illuyankas

I started typing and stopped caring.

I only have 1 character of each class. I don't have a main, because I switch between all of them frequently, which made ascended gear a pain, had to outfit everybody at once because gently caress switching gear between characters.

• Locked thread