Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Genocyber posted:

It could also be you approaching with a different play style than you did before. A lot of people seem to fall into the "block as much as possible and attack only when you're sure it's safe to do so" play style which is dull as poo poo, compared to approaching these games with a more aggressive play style which tends to be a lot more fun.

Yeah, I've been using a big gently caress-off great sword and I more or less only bring the shield out if I'm invaded by someone that calls for. I'm having a lot of fun as someone who dodge-roll-splatters most enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
you're doing the good

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How nice of the Way of White to provide a miracle for those of little faith (at 8). If only they'd remembered to also give us something of little faith to cast it with.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is there an intelligence thing that casts miracles like the gold spear?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Friendly Humour posted:

e: wth where did my post go

Anyway, I like the weapon art, and it's the only Great Weapon for pyromancers so it's not like there's a whole lot of alternatives.

No love for Old Demon King Hammer....

Astora's Greatsword is the best Pyro ultra greatweapon however. Extremely low weight, low stat requirements, and top tier int/fth scaling with a Chaos or Dark infusion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That's because the gargoyle flame hammer needs less stats and doesn't hit much less harder

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

Can't wait for the PC version.

It was a PS exclusive, it will never be ported.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:thejoke:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I used the steam sale as an excuse to finally pick this game up after watching my brother play through the game umpteen times since release. My recent fully coop dark souls 2 run didn't translate so well as I was spoiled by constant sunbroing, so I died about 20 times to gundyr learning the fight then felt great kicking his rear end once I mastered it. Tonight I made it to undead settlement and summoned what I thought was a NPC: some white phantom with a name like Lonely Cleric. He started out lightning spearing the nearby townsfolk, a bit overkill but it looked cool.

We cleared out the area a bit before getting invaded by a red phantom. A blue phantom then showed up and the three of them had a massive battle on a thin bridge while I sniped in with some arrows, trying to keep the monsters off them and keeping the red on his toes. We finished off the red, blue saluted and warped back home, then I leisurely explored every nook and cranny with my white phantom NPC bro sometimes attacking stuff just ahead, sometimes following me mindlessly around. After a while of this I noticed him frantically gesturing at me. It looked kind of like he was flipping me off repeatedly. Ooops, is he not a NPC? Once he saw he had my attention he took off like a shot so I followed him and got a whirlwind tour picking up two bonfires and a bunch of goodies. Finally he died to a purple phantom that showed up after the last bonfire we got, because I was playing it too safe. I tried to show my appreciation before he left. Where ever you are Mr Cleric, I raise a Siegbräu in your honor.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

bagrada posted:

I died about 20 times to gundyr

:stare:

Try doing some more solo play, the game is better if you don't have someone doing all the fun combat for you.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's not unusual to die a lot to Gundyr, especially on a first time. It's a tough fight, which is why i get summoned for it near constantly. It's also why it's memorable. Certain bosses are hell for certain builds and cake for others.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Rough Lobster posted:

It's not unusual to die a lot to Gundyr, especially on a first time. It's a tough fight, which is why i get summoned for it near constantly. It's also why it's memorable. Certain bosses are hell for certain builds and cake for others.

Yeah but they're talking about iudex...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

lite_sleepr posted:

It was a PS exclusive, it will never be ported.

The guy posts this every other page whenever bloodborne comes up because he thinks he's funny. Just don't react to it. It's better that way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I find it funny that Gundyr gets corrupted and severely weakened in the timeline where the fire is still linked and becomes a badass in the timeline where he gets hosed out of his glorious lordly duties.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AttackBacon posted:

Oh yeah, haha I totally forgot that piece of poo poo! Anyway, infusions can make any weapon doable for any build, so yeah you can do that. Astora UG really does have ridiculous scaling when infused tho.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just really can't wait for the Bloodbourne PC version. I'm really eager for it. Cheers!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

i guess it's going to take me three hours to get a pale tongue because invasions are so well designed in this

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

AttackBacon posted:

https://youtu.be/Iocdcc4LK0c

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Friendly Humour posted:

Oh yeah, haha I totally forgot that piece of poo poo! Anyway, infusions can make any weapon doable for any build, so yeah you can do that. Astora UG really does have ridiculous scaling when infused tho.

Actually, I was wondering what the "fast" weapons (greatsword or smaller) also have really good scaling when infused. My pyro-swordsman uses a chaos Astora Greatsword as its base weapon and chaos Uchigatana for times UGs are a little too slow, but I need something to infuse dark for those enemies has stupid good fire resistances. (I'm using Moonlight Greatsword for my magic source. Maybe that is enough?)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Winged Spear Murakumo and CCGS have the "best" chaos and dark scaling. They have the best letters, but the winged spear base damage is weak enough it doesn't matter at all for that.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateNu posted:

Actually, I was wondering what the "fast" weapons (greatsword or smaller) also have really good scaling when infused. My pyro-swordsman uses a chaos Astora Greatsword as its base weapon and chaos Uchigatana for times UGs are a little too slow, but I need something to infuse dark for those enemies has stupid good fire resistances. (I'm using Moonlight Greatsword for my magic source. Maybe that is enough?)

Carthus curved sword is good, the follower sabre from the dlc, gotthard twinswords, onigiri and ubadachi, and the most boring weapon in the game, the dark sword. It doesn't even become a dark dark sword if you infuse it with dark for extra darkness. It just reinforces the datrkness.

Oh, and the corvian scythe is good too. Looks cool as well.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm running an SL150 build using Friede's Great Scythe and it's just about the most fun weapon I've ever had with any weapon in a Souls game. I usually run fast DEX weapons to the exclusion of everything else. In DkS1, I used the Uchigatana, Iaito, and the Painting Guardian Sword. In DkS2, I used the Warped Sword, Spider Silk, and the Sun Sword and Drake Broadsword as my first tentative steps into quality builds. Before the DLC, I had been using O&U, the Carthus Curved Sword, and the Carthus Curved Greatsword in DkS3.

Although there have been a few weapons that I've enjoyed for their effectiveness, I've never really been able to find one that didn't start feeling stale almost immediately after the initial acclimation period ended, so I end up rolling heavy in some spellcasting stat just to inject some variety.

Holy poo poo, is that ever not the case with Friede's Great Scythe. The moveset is great, and having Stance-change as the Weapon Art gives it so much depth as a punish, feint, and to hurt parry-abusers. Plus, being able to throw down an exploding wall of ice gives it access to a "spell" that no DkS game has ever had anything even remotely similar to. I love this weapon, and the DLC seems like it probably has some other weapons that are similar in the variety they bring to the table. I know that lorenerds are real disappointed with the DLC, and yeah, it's a bummer it was so short, but the weapons in this one knocked it out of the park.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think I'm going to have to be 150 on my pyro because I want 20/20 so I can equip a handful of different weapons.

I'm watching this video of a maniac with a archdeacon great staff build. His FP bar is his longest one of the three

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Contra Duck posted:

:stare:

Try doing some more solo play, the game is better if you don't have someone doing all the fun combat for you.

In my defense I was using a spear, which wasn't the best against him. I had a horrible time in high wall against the knights as well until I found a couple of swords. Only took me 1 death to kill Vordt solo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The default spear is really drat bad due to being extremely short + having low damage, don't write off spears as a whole as there are some good ones out there.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I can see players having trouble with Iudex especially if they they're new to the series or just haven't played it in a while. He's certainly a much tougher intro boss than say the asylum demon from 1.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Funny Iudex Gundyr story: I've been playing Dark Souls 3 with KB+M, but hadn't touched it since the week the DLC dropped. When I finally got my controller with me again, I started a new character for kicks and found out that I was suddenly a parry god. Parried my way all the way through the first phase of Gundyr.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What's the best SL50-60 build for handling gank squads?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Tarezax posted:

Funny Iudex Gundyr story: I've been playing Dark Souls 3 with KB+M, but hadn't touched it since the week the DLC dropped. When I finally got my controller with me again, I started a new character for kicks and found out that I was suddenly a parry god. Parried my way all the way through the first phase of Gundyr.

Real pros also parry their way through the second phase.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

At that SL probably 2handing some strength weapon with 26 str for efficient scaling and putting all your spare points into vig and end, or using a raw weapon with high base damage. I'd go for a heavy flamberge since I don't like the slower strength weapons.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

The default spear is really drat bad due to being extremely short + having low damage, don't write off spears as a whole as there are some good ones out there.

What are good spears? I tried Arstor's once but the dps was kind of underwhelming compared to just using an estoc.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Yeah that video and the Gargoyle Flame Hammer one were what I specifically had in mind.

Friendly Humour posted:

It's not a bad weapon, just has unreasonable requirements that basically make it high SL exclusive. It has a loving bonkers Weapon Art and monstrous damage plus great hammer poise so it's pretty decent once you can actually use it. Gargoyle Flame Hammer is much more reasonable for a NG run though. I think those three are it for non-infused fire weapons but they're all pretty decent. Dark is really the damage type that loses out in terms of special weapons for it though, there's the Onyx Blade and....that's all I can think of off the top of my head, there's probably a couple more*.

*Just looked it up, there's only the Onyx Blade and the Dark Hand. Dark is probably the best infusion in the game however so it's not too bad.

AlternateNu posted:

A lot of them got named but here's a list: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4ii8lj/heres_a_list_of_all_weapons_that_gain_an_sa/

There's actually quite a few weapons that are really really good when infused, particularly the Refined, Chaos, Dark, or Hollow infusions. Those four infusions are generally the "best" if your build can use them, because two A's is a lot more scaling than one S. The builds require more stat investment however. There's a couple weapons (particularly in the DLC) where Sharp and Heavy are better than Refined however. Crystal/Lightning can also be alright because there's a couple infuse-able weapons that have built in magic/lightning damage. They're also just fine as backup weapons for their respective caster builds, with heavy stat investment they'll do a bit better than a Raw infusion even with the split damage (although of course a buffed Raw weapon will be even better but buffing isn't what you want to do with a backup weapon). I like Simple/Blessed offhands as well, you will be losing damage but the regen can be really handy. Bleed and Poison infusions are pretty useless due to how those effects work. Bleed is only really okay on very fast weapons that don't have built in Bleed aux damage while Poison is just a weak status effect in DS3.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azuth0667 posted:

There isn't any, but look at morne's great hammer and lightning stakes. Generally you'll want something that strikes a wide swath and a backup for closeups, with an emphasis on burst damage and punishing chargers. Combustion plus something annoying like carthus curved sword also works. Everything that the community rages about nerfing is generally what you want.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Does bleed infuse make the quills bleed? That could be a cute build.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I gotta say that Aldritch Sapphire + Hidden Body + Spook is extremely hilarious and a build that everyone should try at least once.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Does bleed infuse make the quills bleed? That could be a cute build.

Nope, a shame as the quills are totally loving useless and the weapon itself is best used as just a super high damage thrusting sword.

KonvexKonkav posted:

What are good spears? I tried Arstor's once but the dps was kind of underwhelming compared to just using an estoc.

Lothric Knight Long Spear (only use 2handed; 1hand moveset is really slow), Gargoyle Flame Spear, Dragonslayer's Spear. The Partizan isn't bad either but is noticably shorter and weaker than these three. Arstor's Spear is also good (relatively speaking) for a pure dex build but as you have noted the estoc is basically straight up better for that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope, a shame as the quills are totally loving useless and the weapon itself is best used as just a super high damage thrusting sword.

Lame as poo poo, I think rouge works with the quills

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone done any testing with the Parting Flame? Is the fire trail while casting that useful?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It makes you delete people with black flame but haven't heard of much use past that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone done any testing with the Parting Flame? Is the fire trail while casting that useful?

Completely useless, don't bother.