Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

SE is literally insane if they don't make something else with this engine, by the way. Like, I know FFXIII-2/3 were dumb as gently caress, but if they got a competent creative team to write more poo poo in this world, with this engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even more parallels to MGS5...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Problem with luminous is that it took too long to work the kinks out and production HAD to start for ffvii and kh3. A shame because luminous is loving great. They need to keep working on it and make it SEs frostbite.

RatHat posted:

Even more parallels to MGS5...
Well thE differences are obvious though. Konami was drat sure it was going to stop making video games after mgs5

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How are people playing this already? Was it released or leaked or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RatHat posted:

Prompto incident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdscOQvrtNc

VanillaGorilla posted:

SE is literally insane if they don't make something else with this engine, by the way. Like, I know FFXIII-2/3 were dumb as gently caress, but if they got a competent creative team to write more poo poo in this world, with this engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Eh, unreal 4 is good enough judging by Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF7 remake.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

How are people playing this already? Was it released or leaked or something?

I bought a disc copy from a pawn shop that was ebaying them early.

I was content not to ask how he got the games early, and regret nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The digital version won't be available for download until midnight Tuesday apparently. :/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I like how Gladiolus falls over and convulses on the ground at the end.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Spergatory posted:

I just want to know if there is a shirtless option. Come on, SE, you devoted an entire trailer to shredding Noctis's shirt off. You know what your audience wants. :mad:

Listen to your player base SE :golfclap:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RatHat posted:

I like how Gladiolus falls over and convulses on the ground at the end.

He's channeling Sonic with that beautiful faceplant

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy XV is about a cute boy band going on a road trip. The story will be fine.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Konami was drat sure it was going to stop making video games after mgs5

And then came gorgeous beautiful amazing looking MGS3 in Fox Engine
FOR PACHISLOT
Low effort as hell pachislot by Japanese standards too!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Speaking of early versions, is this safe to buy? It's almost $40 cheaper than it would be to buy it at Best Buy or something. My biggest concern is that it's somehow not compatible with NA consoles, which has been an issue with previous generation games.

edit: wait nevermind i need an EU/UK account

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
PS4 is region free. You don't even need a different account unless you buy DLC

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Videos of post-game content are hitting now from that dude who got a copy like a week earlier than everybody else. At least 4 super-hard dungeons/bosses (with ultra-weapons in them) gated behind another set of optional dungeons (one of which is a platforming/puzzle dungeon). Also, Adamantoise is definitely the biggest creature in franchise history. Finally, at least one summon that you only get to use post-game: Shiva

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Videos of post-game content are hitting now from that dude who got a copy like a week earlier than everybody else. At least 4 super-hard dungeons/bosses (with ultra-weapons in them) gated behind another set of optional dungeons (one of which is a platforming/puzzle dungeon). Also, Adamantoise is definitely the biggest creature in franchise history. Finally, at least one summon that you only get to use post-game: Shiva

Does it actually take 30 ingame days to kill?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RatHat posted:

Does it actually take 30 ingame days to kill?

Someone said it took him like an hour and a half of endlessly hitting him. Said it wasnt really difficult, just time consuming. There's a level 110 samurai dude thats also a super boss. Someone found a secret post endgame dungeon that took him 5 hours to clear. And someone found out a way to open secret doors inside the previous non post endgame dungeons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
And how does saving work? Could you save in the middle of that 5 hour dungeon so you don't have to do it all in one sitting?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lots of people really like FFXII.

12 is secretly a 90's CRPG revival, before kickstarter made it happen for real

it's really loving good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RatHat posted:

And how does saving work? Could you save in the middle of that 5 hour dungeon so you don't have to do it all in one sitting?

You can save when you rest so I'm assuming there might be rest spots inside that dungeon. I have no loving clue.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nina posted:

PS4 is region free. You don't even need a different account unless you buy DLC

Well poo poo, in that case.

Is there a downside to ordering this that I'm missing?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can save when you rest so I'm assuming there might be rest spots inside that dungeon. I have no loving clue.

From what I can tell you cannot save in a dungeon, which is a real fuckin' bummer. On the whole, though, it seems really finnicky about when it allows you to do it, so maybe it's a bug.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
If there's a 5 hour dungeon you have to do in one go the boss itself is gonna be boring as hell. No way they'd risk players doing all that and dying at the end.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vitamin P posted:

If there's a 5 hour dungeon you have to do in one go the boss itself is gonna be boring as hell. No way they'd risk players doing all that and dying at the end.

Didn't FF14 have a boss that a guild fought for like 20 hours? And had to quit because some of them were passing out?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

RatHat posted:

Didn't FF14 have a boss that a guild fought for like 20 hours? And had to quit because some of them were passing out?

Nah that was 11. The absolute longest fights in 14 are like, 13-15 minutes tops.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So, goons who already have it--is the game Good or is it still too soon to say?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

that was 11, and the story gets blown out of proportion. It was an unbeatable boss that they managed to reach a stalemate with because gamers are stubborn idiots.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

emdash posted:

So, goons who already have it--is the game Good or is it still too soon to say?

Game is good, unless you just wanted to play FFVI again.

In which case you should just do that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah but didn't the devs claim it WAS beatable? And then they nerfed it anyway because of the bad press.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pomp posted:

that was 11, and the story gets blown out of proportion. It was an unbeatable boss that they managed to reach a stalemate with because gamers are stubborn idiots.

It wasn't meant to be unbeatable. It was just terribly designed for its first several iterations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds to me like a boss that was tuned so tightly that it was unbeatable(because players can't play perfectly all the time like robots), like C'thun in WoW.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

Sounds to me like a boss that was tuned so tightly that it was unbeatable(because players can't play perfectly all the time like robots), like C'thun in WoW.
it was more like the devs intentionally tuned it too high because they were very proud that they'd managed to make an unbeatable boss in an mmo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nobody's gear was realistically at a point where they could do considerable damage to Absolute Virtue, nor could anyone outside of Tokyo do its gimmick (matching 2 hour abilities that it uses) in time to lock them out.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VanillaGorilla posted:

Game is good, unless you just wanted to play FFVI again.

In which case you should just do that.

Elaborate, please.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Huzanko posted:

Elaborate, please.

It's been said before, but it's not a linear, traditional, story-driven Final Fantasy.

I really do think it's the MGS V of the series, in that it charts a really bold and exciting new path for the series to take, but a lot of hard-line fans of the franchise probably won't like it.

it's also bogged down by a lot of history, and more than a little baggage from creators whose heads were way far up their own asses and who were given far too much license to mismanage the development process.

However, unlike Konami, Square has the opportunity to right the ship, learn from what this game does really well (and what it doesn't) and hopefully make a really bomb-rear end Final Fantasy XVI. It's a super interesting title in that it largely succeeds in doing what I think Square wanted to do - to blend the very successful Western open-world RPG model with JRPG stuff. They actually hit an interesting balance - it's not a standard open-world game, and it is still distinctly Final Fantasy. I think that a lot of things that have become broken about JRPGs (broken, non-sense plots that collapse under their own weight, rigid character stereotypes - particularly for women, etc.) are still busted here, though.

My dream FFXVI is the evolution of this game, that builds on the really well done open-world exploration, combat, etc. of this game, and figures out how to combine the more character-focused storytelling in many WRPGs with the grand scope that some of the best Final Fantasy games (VI, VII, X) are known for.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 27, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Cthun was mathematically impossible as you couldn't do the dps to kill it's 1mil hp tentacles even if you were a robot, which is why they nerfed it to 100k and then the kills started.

Good old mmo devs and their overtuning of bosses.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I miss COR

AST isn't the same, let me debuff my party

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's been said before, but it's not a linear, traditional, story-driven Final Fantasy.

I really do think it's the MGS V of the series, in that it charts a really bold and exciting new path for the series to take, but a lot of hard-line fans of the franchise probably won't like it.

it's also bogged down by a lot of history, and more than a little baggage from creators whose heads were way far up their own asses and who were given far too much license to mismanage the development process.

However, unlike Konami, Square has the opportunity to right the ship, learn from what this game does really well (and what it doesn't) and hopefully make a really bomb-rear end Final Fantasy XVI. It's a super interesting title in that it largely succeeds in doing what I think Square wanted to do - to blend the very successful Western open-world RPG model with JRPG stuff. They actually hit an interesting balance - it's not a standard open-world game, and it is still distinctly Final Fantasy. I think that a lot of things that have become broken about JRPGs (broken, non-sense plots that collapse under their own weight, rigid character stereotypes - particularly for women, etc.) are still busted here, though.

My dream FFXVI is the evolution of this game, that builds on the really well done open-world exploration, combat, etc. of this game, and figures out how to combine the more character-focused storytelling in many WRPGs with the grand scope that some of the best Final Fantasy games (VI, VII, X) are known for.
i think the character stereotypes in ff15 make women very rigid, if you catch my drift

and lol @ wrpgs having good character writing

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Don't read YouTube comments.

That's good general life advice, of course, but someone's been dropping spoilers like they're trolling the Game of Thrones thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I loving loved mgs5 so this seems like it'll work out for me

• Locked thread