Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Saint Sputnik posted:

Beeler has been a loving sphinx this election. On the one hand, I think he's the one who used the little fascist "T" black armband on Trump and he's been doing stuff like this post-election:

then on the other hand he somehow thinks getting mad about that is also bad?

Ah, Brian Farrington syndrome. Aka JJ McCullough Disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

After The War posted:

It was pretty much essential for communication. There's a great story in the Spy vs. Spy collection about how Prohias was utterly incomprehensible, even to other Spanish speakers. The MAD staff chalked this up to a Cuban dialect, until they took him out to a Cuban restaurant and the waiters couldn't understand him either.

I always get the feeling that the only one who truly understood Prohias was Sergio Aragones, who became friends after the latter joined MAD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That IS pretty bloody good!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mister Beeg posted:

I always get the feeling that the only one who truly understood Prohias was Sergio Aragones, who became friends after the latter joined MAD.

the Mad editorial crew probably ain't the most trustworthy source but still lol

quote:

Since his knowledge of English wasn't very extensive, he asked for the only Mad artist he knew of that spoke Spanish, Cuban-born artist Antonio Prohías, creator of the comic "Spy vs. Spy". Aragonés hoped Prohías could serve as an interpreter between him and the Mad editors. According to Aragonés, this proved to be a mistake, since Prohías knew even less English than he. Prohías did receive Aragonés very enthusiastically and, with difficulty, introduced the young artist to the Mad editors as "Sergio, my brother from Mexico," temporarily leading to even further confusion, as the Mad editors thought he was "Sergio Prohías."

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio recently did a short comic about Prohias and his friendship with him. Very touching stuff. It should be in one of the newer "Spy vs. Spy" books.

On another note, I just found the story After The War was talking about, and it's really worth posting. This was from Nick Meglin, long-time editor for MAD:

quote:

Our limited ability to communicate with Antonio was sufficient for day-to-day creative consultations, but for more involved situations such as contract, agreements, and understandings regarding the "Spy vs. Spy" paperback collections, then literal translations was in order. [William] Gaines, determined to crack the language barrier once and for all, assembled three Spanish-speaking MAD associates-Sergio Aragones, Angelo Torres, and part-time assistant art director Bill Negron-to determine how Prohias was progressing (or not!) with his English classes. After 20 minutes of baffling exchanges in the art department, all three men concluded that Prohias didn't speak Spanish at all-it was as if he had no native tongue, his dialect seemingly defying translation. (Or as Al Jaffee concluded on another such occasion, "Antonio is non-lingual!")

[...]

To further the "Prohias language mystery," one of the many lunches shared with him took place at Victor's, the famed authentic Cuban restaurant (then located at 71st Street and Columbus Avenue) in Manhattan. Several waiters attested to the findings of MAD's board of inquiry; though Cuban, they had great difficulty conversing with Prohias as well. But with Gaines typically ordering one of just about every dish on the menu, it didn't matter who spoke what!

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 27, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I wish I coulda gone drinking with Gains. Everything I have heard about the dude makes me think he was awesome.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Not to single you out, but this term is used a lot on here. Isn't it more that these people experience a lack of cognitive dissonance? That they can keep these two opposing thoughts going in their heads without feeling any intellectual discomfort? Because if these people really did suffer the cognitive dissonance we all say they do, they'd be utterly crippled, unable to function, wouldn't they?

According to the guy who coined "cognitive dissonance," people resolve it by changing their beliefs to match their actions. Like for instance, someone becoming more racist to justify voting for Trump.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

bunnyofdoom posted:

I wish I coulda gone drinking with Gains. Everything I have heard about the dude makes me think he was awesome.

Me too, but I might be biased...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wasn't Castro Catholic? If so lol he's in heaven with Hitler.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

ratbert90 posted:

Wasn't Castro Catholic? If so lol he's in heaven with Hitler.

yes, famously devout hitler who obviously would have gone to heaven in line with catholic teachings

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nenonen posted:

the Mad editorial crew probably ain't the most trustworthy source but still lol

It actually makes sense that both Prohias and Aragones were the two MAD artists who didn't know English, since they were the two whose humor was always entirely visual.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stiglich was so happy he had to make two cartoons about it

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Mad posted:

Manhatten
Am I becoming increasingly crusty in my old age or has the last two pages of this thread been alarmingly full of typos and grammar mistakes?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Not to single you out, but this term is used a lot on here. Isn't it more that these people experience a lack of cognitive dissonance? That they can keep these two opposing thoughts going in their heads without feeling any intellectual discomfort? Because if these people really did suffer the cognitive dissonance we all say they do, they'd be utterly crippled, unable to function, wouldn't they?
Cognitive dissonance has become a Janus word, which can also mean it's own opposite. Same as "literally".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyQyUucSWw

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mister Beeg posted:

On another note, I just found the story After The War was talking about, and it's really worth posting. This was from Nick Meglin, long-time editor for MAD:

Thanks! I'm with the gf's family for the holiday weekend so I don't have access to the book.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Cognitive dissonance has become a Janus word, which can also mean it's own opposite. Same as "literally".

I feel like "Janus" words are an easy out for people who either got tired of correcting others out being corrected by others.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Willatron posted:

I feel like "Janus" words are an easy out for people who either got tired of correcting others out being corrected by others.
The way I see it, language change is a natural process, and like all natural processes they aren't always going to go the way you want and people need to accept that about language.

Edit: I learned that word in a psychology class like fifteen years ago (with the meaning of the pressure to unify opposing ideas in your mind) and I would have liked it to keep that definition but in the end it appears to have filled a gap in lay language for the idea of simply having the two opposing ideas. Oh well.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

*Castro dies*
*Still in jail*

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I think I've only ever seen the phrase used to mean "holding conflicting beliefs", I had no idea it meant the consequences of holding conflicting beliefs. I live and learn. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheBigAristotle posted:

Cross-post from DnD pics thread... a young Ward Sutton?

Don't doxx me bro

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Man, Evil Thoughts in a bottle. The possibilities. I wonder if there are any cocktails that use it?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

*Castro dies*
*Still in jail*
Eh its the little things

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

*Castro dies*
*Still in jail*
I mean, honestly, do they think the apparatus he has spend half a century building is going to wither because he's dead?

Dude was 90 years old: he had sufficient time to set up his successors and probably hasn't been a significant factor in the country's government for years now.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I wonder what will happen when Raul goes. He's pretty drat old himself

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

duz posted:

How is that irony?

I think because Stein is one of the many scapegoats that have been blamed for Hillary losing. See: The Spoiler Effect/Ralph Nader

So, I think that what Wifebeater is saying is : "Lol, isn't it ironic that someone who cost Hillary the election wants a recount?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cuba being presented as one big dictator's prison camp when that's the island on which we maintain our foreverjail.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I mean, honestly, do they think the apparatus he has spend half a century building is going to wither because he's dead?

Dude was 90 years old: he had sufficient time to set up his successors and probably hasn't been a significant factor in the country's government for years now.

He hasn't. Raul's been basically running things for like five years now at least.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Mister Beeg posted:

Me too, but I might be biased...

I heard that he took the Mad Magazine staff on a yearly trip together for a week somewhere in the world. It sounds like Mad was hit pet project.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Should have drawn it as a UNicycle.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Cuba being presented as one big dictator's prison camp when that's the island on which we maintain our foreverjail.

Hey if we're gonna put it somewhere, why not jail-land.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rorshach, more like.

(I am so disappointed I missed this meltdown.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I heard that he took the Mad Magazine staff on a yearly trip together for a week somewhere in the world. It sounds like Mad was hit pet project.
I think Tales From the Crypt was their big hit, but I think MAD was one of the positive outcomes of the Comics Code.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Good Ol' Chip Bok posted:

FBI Director Comey recommended that Hillary not be prosecuted by the Justice Department. But he presented her case on national TV anyway. A verdict was rendered on election day. Hillary was convicted in the court of public opinion. Her sentence was loss of the White House.

She’s Suffered Enough Already

Now President-elect Trump has issued a get out of jail free card. He doesn’t want to see her prosecuted in a court of law either.

Court of Public Opinion

Meanwhile, some Democrats don’t believe there were enough Deplorables in the court of public opinion. They want a recount.

Green candidate Jill Stein is leading the charge. She wants a recount in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. She’s raised more money so far than she did for her presidential campign.

Oops. She can’t guarantee the money will go to a recount.

Two of those links direct to other Bok cartoons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

yes, famously devout hitler who obviously would have gone to heaven in line with catholic teachings

Well if I understand my Chick Tracts correctly, Hitler could have said,"I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior" on his deathbed and gone straight to heaven, while a humanitarian pacifist who gave every cent they ever earned to charity and held nothing but love in their heart but did NOT say the magic words would appear before Christ on the Seat of Judgement, where Christ would declare,"Depart from me ye wicked and burn forever in the lake of fire."

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Jerusalem posted:

Well if I understand my Chick Tracts correctly, Hitler could have said,"I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior" on his deathbed and gone straight to heaven, while a humanitarian pacifist who gave every cent they ever earned to charity and held nothing but love in their heart but did NOT say the magic words would appear before Christ on the Seat of Judgement, where Christ would declare,"Depart from me ye wicked and burn forever in the lake of fire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEgOz1RpaXc

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://i.imgur.com/pY3rj1p.jpg

"Hell or High Water, I will draw this joke no matter the outcome

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My main problem with Fidel Castro is that if a man with as many unhealthy habits can make it to 90 then Trump probably can too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My main problem with Fidel Castro is that if a man with as many unhealthy habits can make it to 90 then Trump probably can too.

i wonder who he had for health care

• Locked thread