Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I think the division is the perfect example. One of the most heavily exploited games I have ever seen at release because of absolute bullshit progression. If you went into the division thread it was nothing but stats and meta poo poo, couldn't understand anything that was said there. Everything was a grind, the game was dying, and the only people that stuck around were furiously min maxing with exploits.

Now everything pays, you progress no matter what you are doing at a fairly satisfying rate. You gain more by challenging yourself but you don't need too. Nobody ever posts exploits anymore. People talk about stats but much more casually, most people don't even care. The new game mode is being hailed as great even though it doesn't pay out as much (only marginally less), it's not a problem and nobody cares, it's played because it's fun. So without changing anything other than payouts it went from a failing game in trouble, to a hit people are returning to. Now the devs are now feeling out if they can do another year of dlc because the response was better than they expected.

It wouldn't make the game deeper, but if everything you do keeps you progressing it's a hell of a lot more palatable and easier to overlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DogonCrook posted:

I think the division is the perfect example. One of the most heavily exploited games I have ever seen at release because of absolute bullshit progression. If you went into the division thread it was nothing but stats and meta poo poo, couldn't understand anything that was said there. Everything was a grind, the game was dying, and the only people that stuck around were furiously min maxing with exploits.

Now everything pays, you progress no matter what you are doing at a fairly satisfying rate. You gain more by challenging yourself but you don't need too. Nobody ever posts exploits anymore. People talk about stats but much more casually, most people don't even care. The new game mode is being hailed as great even though it doesn't pay out as much (only marginally less), it's not a problem and nobody cares, it's played because it's fun. So without changing anything other than payouts it went from a failing game in trouble, to a hit people are returning to. Now the devs are now feeling out if they can do another year of dlc because the response was better than they expected.

It wouldn't make the game deeper, but if everything you do keeps you progressing it's a hell of a lot more palatable and easier to overlook.

Wisdom.

Also if they made super cruise less awful. And jumping from place to place. It's cool and unique and ok if you're just doing a few jumps at a time but boy howdy get hosed of your doing anything over a couple hundred light years.

Add a mini-game with risk reward so you can "stay in witch space" for hundreds or even thousands of light-years if you're good but the longer you are there the greater risk you're taking...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
ED has no economy in any sense, since people can't trade with eachother. It's a single player game.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Also ty to the goon who said you could suicide on the planet to get back to the station faster, :five:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hakimashou posted:

ED has no economy in any sense, since people can't trade with eachother. It's a single player game.

Yeah this. People :words: about inflation or whatever but there's no player impact on the economy to devalue currency.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Using mine launchers on these skimmers is hilarious

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 26, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Make costs scale with individual player wealth so rich players pay extra tax :v:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

StarkRavingMad posted:

Using mine launchers on these skimmers is hilarious

yup of all the lovely repetitive poo poo in this game, I think the most enjoyable so far has been watching the mines fall down and blow up the skimmers over and over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hakimashou posted:

yup of all the lovely repetitive poo poo in this game, I think the most enjoyable so far has been watching the mines fall down and blow up the skimmers over and over.

they just glide toward the ground so slowly and majestically and then all of a sudden KABLAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM it's a Michael Bay movie up in here

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
For some reason the faraday keep outpost isn't spawning skimmers anymore. Did I break something?

edit: fixed it, had some counter-offers that apparently block the spawns until you decline them.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 26, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

get closer

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

StarkRavingMad posted:

I feel like at this point, this IS the endgame/metagame of Elite: Dangerous. Finding whatever dumb loophole in the game systems that allows you to make measurable progress and humping the hell out of it until it gets patched out of existence. Then look for the next one.

I agree. In effect, out of negligence, this is the endgame, owing to the realities of the grind and the missions system.

Engaging in it is most people's only realistic opportunity to get past the monetary considerations of the huge ships.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've made almost a billion credits today :laffo:

Also there's something about watching a Corvette rise from below you and turn around to take aim as the logout timer counts down that sure puckers the old butthole.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 26, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also there's something about watching a Corvette rise from below you and turn around to take aim as the logout timer counts down that sure puckers the old butthole.

This except it takes a potshot at you with half it's loadout as it ascends and almost annihilates you.

I just got to the point where I get 10m+ missions. Kind of bonkers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good, Im glad of it!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Except after you do it like 30 times, and you're just like "this poor bastard wonders why everyone hates my poor skimmers so much"

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Probably the most reasonable fix would be to stop counting skimmer kills as ship kills, but while it lasts I'm going for the billion mark. I didn't read the entire spoiler thing so I brought a pulse laser vulture instead of a missile ship and started off by killing npc 36 dudes in the RES [low]. It's hard to explain how much less grindy the skimmer turkey shoot is in comparison.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I did it, i got an anaconda and 1b credits, im space rich~

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

they just glide toward the ground so slowly and majestically and then all of a sudden KABLAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM it's a Michael Bay movie up in here

Mines are far better than missiles for this, except that if the waiting ship has point defence then they won't work, so I have class 1 missiles on my Viper for when this happens :D

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
gently caress it I want in on this. Can't be as boring as robigo and I want a cutter

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!
This is the shittiest exploit I've used in this game. I love it.

Payback for about 40 trade missions with nerfed payouts and literally 1% federal rank increase. By the time this is done, I'll have a billion credits AND a Federal Gunship.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alehkhs posted:

For those of you that are heartbroken you don't have the "Midnight Black" skins from pre-ordering Horizons, you can purchase them today one ship at a time.

I have "black friday" paintjobs for all my ships, is that how I got them?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Truga posted:

I have "black friday" paintjobs for all my ships, is that how I got them?

No, you preordered Horizons a year ago like a smart person.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hey guys, thought I would check in and see how things have been going and decide whether or not it was worth jumping back in, but it sounds like thry have doubled down on everything I disliked and not really added anything super fun?

Might play a bit just to try it in VR, I guess - I assume you need the expansion to join in in the current money pinata?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I got a fully kitted Python and an Eagle and still have a few hundred million space bux left over. I guess I'll see what I can do with rockets today, since I used mines all day yesterday.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No, you preordered Horizons a year ago like a smart person.

Thanks, but no. No, I'm a dumb person who kickstarted this poo poo for like $150 and now get my expansions for "free". :v:

But good to know why I got it. Yesterday when my friend told me black skins are on sale and I told him I already have them, we had no idea why he doesn't, since we've been playing together since release.

GlyphGryph posted:

Might play a bit just to try it in VR, I guess - I assume you need the expansion to join in in the current money pinata?

You need the expansion, though it is on sale currently. Also, the game is really good in VR. If you're going to do the lovely mission grind, vr doesn't really add all that much though, since most of the time you're just logging in and out to refresh the dumb mission board.

I still do it in VR anyway, but I use https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal to display another screen in my cockpit like:

I set it up so it's on top of my cockpit (blocking nothing there except the outside view, plus it's the most comfortable), so I just look up and watch bebop while playing bebop. Can set it to only show when looking at it like other elite displays, too.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Asimov posted:

Probably the most reasonable fix would be to stop counting skimmer kills as ship kills, but while it lasts I'm going for the billion mark. I didn't read the entire spoiler thing so I brought a pulse laser vulture instead of a missile ship and started off by killing npc 36 dudes in the RES [low]. It's hard to explain how much less grindy the skimmer turkey shoot is in comparison.

Actually the correct fix would be to persist something. Why is mission scumming even a thing, stop generating missions (everything) on the client.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey guys, thought I would check in and see how things have been going and decide whether or not it was worth jumping back in, but it sounds like thry have doubled down on everything I disliked and not really added anything super fun?

It's still the same game as always, with slightly more things to do in the same vein as usual.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I've been watching Star Trek on Netflix like that. I put the screen over the bottom panel and move it out of the way whenever I need to use the SRV.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Ugh, what am I doing wrong here? I can't get the skimmers to spawn at all. I've literally hovered right on top of the base for a solid minute and nothing spawned. I had even triggered the trespass warning AND got the AI ship to attack me.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Dolemite posted:

Ugh, what am I doing wrong here? I can't get the skimmers to spawn at all. I've literally hovered right on top of the base for a solid minute and nothing spawned. I had even triggered the trespass warning AND got the AI ship to attack me.

I just got within about 300m directly above it and they appeared. Then poop mines on them and cackle evilly before disappearing with a *pop* sound.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, you have to be closer than you might think.

I love the timing on everyone jumping on this during this weekend. It's like Elite is having a Black Friday weekend deal on credits.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a trick to getting the mission board to reset? Changing modes gets me a different set of missions (sometimes, not always) but when I get around to the first mode it still has the same missions.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pilchenstein posted:

Is there a trick to getting the mission board to reset? Changing modes gets me a different set of missions (sometimes, not always) but when I get around to the first mode it still has the same missions.

Yeah, that's normal. Mode-switching really only provides more options between refreshes: you still have to wait for the system-refresh every 15-20min to get new missions in each individual instance. Add more private groups or wait out the timer...

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The trick is take a break for 15 minutes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Natsuumi posted:

The trick is take a break for 15 minutes.

Elite open on one screen and WoWS on the other...

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I've stopped getting jobs at 17 Drac. Is that how they usually axe these types of mad money events?

Syves fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 26, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Syves posted:

I've stopped getting jobs at 17 Drac. Is that how they usually axe these types of mad money events?

Probably. Sothis is a ghost of what was on the mission board so it's pretty much just a good place to get crystalline gold rares now.

My opinion is that Frontier will keep whacking everything with a nerf hammer until it's in line with RES farming or commodity trading.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 26, 2016

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Syves posted:

Common bug across the game. Sometimes there's 0 missions :frontier:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Herb Dington posted:

Common bug across the game. Sometimes there's 0 missions :frontier:

Yeah I ended up going gently caress it and getting my sirius permit purely from rare trading because the mission spawner was terrible whenever I went to any of their bases.

• Locked thread