Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Zosologist posted:

I already made that suggestion. She says she is more comfortable with Android.

Chromebook with a touchscreen? wait until Samsung finally releases a Tab S3, most likely Q1 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

G-Prime posted:

Pixel C, maybe?

My Venue 8 is starting to be flaky and the wife wants something that can handle Marshmallow with more onboard storage, so I just bit the bullet on a Shield K1. Hopefully it'll meet our needs. And, of course, this means they'll announce something new soon (they won't, but that's okay because the Switch is coming out soon enough).

Edit: Yes, I know the Switch isn't an Android tablet. I'm mentioning it in passing.

They axed a thing that was coming after the Shield K1, most likely to focus on the switch. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/11/rumored-follow-nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-cancelled/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If the Switch runs Android, I'll end up selling my Surface.

There are a billion reasons that won't happen, but...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

minusX posted:

They axed a thing that was coming after the Shield K1, most likely to focus on the switch. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/11/rumored-follow-nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-cancelled/

Yeah, I know. I really wish they had the resources to do both, because an 8 inch X1 tablet (or follow-up to the X1, whatever) would have been phenomenal. The Switch will at least scratch my gaming itch, just doesn't solve the other use cases I have for a tablet.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have upgraded my nexus 10 (the old one) with cyanogen so it has marshmallow right now.

My big problem is it will hard reset whenever it does a lot of certain processing. I don't know what kind but I know it will 100% of the time reset whenever I attempt to play a 60fps video on YouTube.

Is there any rom that works at marshmallow for the device?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

If the Switch runs Android, I'll end up selling my Surface.

There are a billion reasons that won't happen, but...

I wouldn't be surprised if it runs a heavily forked android as its underlying base OS. Obviously won't be a google play device, though.

If we're lucky, it might have a decent browser so you can use it as a browsing and media tablet as well as gaming. Probably not, though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it runs a heavily forked android as its underlying base OS. Obviously won't be a google play device, though.

If we're lucky, it might have a decent browser so you can use it as a browsing and media tablet as well as gaming. Probably not, though.

The gently caress? It's going to run a custom Nintendo OS developed in conjunction with Nvidia. There is absolutely 0 indication at all that any underlying code is from Android at all.

Even the thought of using Android for a freaking console OS (lol Ouya) is asinine for a number of reasons.

As for a browser, it will be WebKit based just like their previous browser.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The gently caress? It's going to run a custom Nintendo OS developed in conjunction with Nvidia. There is absolutely 0 indication at all that any underlying code is from Android at all.

Even the thought of using Android for a freaking console OS (lol Ouya) is asinine for a number of reasons.

As for a browser, it will be WebKit based just like their previous browser.

In no way is using Android for the OS a bad idea. The Nvidea shield TV performs roughly at the level of the Xbox One (original). Ouya failed for a million other reasons, none of them the AOSP. Building a new OS would be stupid, there is 0 reason to recreate display, file access, accounts and security I also would heavily bet they fork Android like Fire OS. The AOSP is highly optimized and extremely robust, using anything else would be a huge waste.

FYI you can run pure C++ and OpenGL with Android so it has nearly 0 performance overhead vs any other solution. Most people don't do that and instead use Java but if they want 3rd party support forked AOSP like Fire OS is the best choice.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 23, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stick100 posted:

In no way is using Android for the OS a bad idea. The Nvidea shield TV performs roughly at the level of the Xbox One (original).

Er, are you saying that's impressive or something? Because that basically means it performed about as well as a PC from 1999, and frankly that's not impressive and doesn't seem in line with what the device can actually do (in that it's inherently much faster).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

fishmech posted:

Er, are you saying that's impressive or something? Because that basically means it performed about as well as a PC from 1999, and frankly that's not impressive and doesn't seem in line with what the device can actually do (in that it's inherently much faster).

I believe he means the actual Xbox One, as opposed to the Xbox One S (which has a faster GPU). Not the original Xbox.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

G-Prime posted:

I believe he means the actual Xbox One, as opposed to the Xbox One S (which has a faster GPU). Not the original Xbox.

He'd be just plain wrong there because the Xbox One and PS4 are both significantly faster than any consumer-available ARM systems, to say nothing of how much powerful the GPUs are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What a pointless derail.

1) OS, especially for a custom embedded platform, means far less than the capabilities of the hardware since apps are going to be heavily optimized with low level libraries.

2) OS of a Nintendo console doesn't matter because there's precisely zero chance Nintendo will allow unsigned code to run on it. It could run straight AOSP Android and it won't matter because it will be locked down six ways from Sunday and Nintendo will have final say what makes it to the platform.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stick100 posted:

In no way is using Android for the OS a bad idea. The Nvidea shield TV performs roughly at the level of the Xbox One (original). Ouya failed for a million other reasons, none of them the AOSP. Building a new OS would be stupid, there is 0 reason to recreate display, file access, accounts and security I also would heavily bet they fork Android like Fire OS. The AOSP is highly optimized and extremely robust, using anything else would be a huge waste.

FYI you can run pure C++ and OpenGL with Android so it has nearly 0 performance overhead vs any other solution. Most people don't do that and instead use Java but if they want 3rd party support forked AOSP like Fire OS is the best choice.

I have made and released a Android tablet before, I am well aware of the inner workings of the AOSP. There is no way they are using Android. I will tox myself right now on that bet.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I have made and released a Android tablet before, I am well aware of the inner workings of the AOSP. There is no way they are using Android. I will tox myself right now on that bet.

Why would using Android be a bad idea?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Why would using Android be a bad idea?

The device is made to sell Nintendo software.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody is saying that they'd be using Android AOSP-style. I meant closer to how things like Google TV and Chromecast dongles run Android-based software. It's a solid base to build on and the hardware is a progression of stuff NVidia's already got android code for, and it means you get prebuilt handlers for lots of elements of the system - connectivity, touch, etc - already mature. Everything user-facing would be ground-up, of course.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 24, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm looking into getting an Android tablet for a little robotics project. The idea here is to take this here robot arm and program it to play simple games (the robot code would be running on a separate system, either a laptop or a Raspberry Pi). Sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFgO-C2TAV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpCpqXJrvE

My main concern here is that the device run smoothly - any freezing or failure to respond would throw off the robot's timing. I would also need it to run something I was looking at the Galaxy Tab series, and I was wondering: is there much difference in performance between the 1.6GHz processor in the 10" Galaxy Tab, and the 1.2-1.3GHz processors in the smaller ones (the number of cores wouldn't make much difference, would it)? Are there any other tablets I might want to look at? I'd like to avoid the Kindle, Nook, or anything else that strays too far from standard Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dang, that's a cool idea. I want to do it as well.

Unfortunately that arm is too expensive!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Dang, that's a cool idea. I want to do it as well.

Unfortunately that arm is too expensive!

How about something like this?

http://www.makeblock.com/xy-plotter-robot-kit

And has anyone had any experience with the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet? It looks like a good way to get a nice fast processor for relatively cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cockmaster posted:

How about something like this?

http://www.makeblock.com/xy-plotter-robot-kit

And has anyone had any experience with the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet? It looks like a good way to get a nice fast processor for relatively cheap.

That...looks pretty good.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My Nexus 7 was just destroyed and there is no android tablet available right now that can fill that niche so well and that makes me so sad :-(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Viper915 posted:

My Nexus 7 was just destroyed and there is no android tablet available right now that can fill that niche so well and that makes me so sad :-(

Honestly the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 model from 2016 would probably work well for you if you were ok with the Nexus 7's performance? It's faster by a bit , is roughly the same size and maybe a little lighter, roughly the same battery life. And it's $99 on bestbuy.com for the next few days (usually it's $150): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-7-8gb-black/4943611.p?skuId=4943611

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

fishmech posted:

Honestly the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 model from 2016 would probably work well for you if you were ok with the Nexus 7's performance? It's faster by a bit , is roughly the same size and maybe a little lighter, roughly the same battery life. And it's $99 on bestbuy.com for the next few days (usually it's $150): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-7-8gb-black/4943611.p?skuId=4943611

I just find it hard to believe that 3 years later, the closest option has less RAM, less storage, no wireless charging, whatever a "T-shark 2a" processor is, android 5.1, and on top of that you have to put up with samsung's hardware buttons and UI fuckery. The Nexus 7 was like the perfect 7" tablet and nobody ever made anything good that size again, somehow. With this destroyed, and finally letting my Nexus 5 to replace it with a pixel, i guess all these qi chargers i had around the house can go in the closet too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The closest thing on sale today is the Shield K1. That's about it. The phablet has murdered the premium small tablet market.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Wrong window.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

bull3964 posted:

The closest thing on sale today is the Shield K1. That's about it. The phablet has murdered the premium small tablet market.

Even today, as I was contemplating how sweet it would be to have a 7 or 8 inch android slate for bed time chilling, a voice in the back of my head was like "your note 4 is fine, dude."

Sadly it is, and I can't justify the dough on a tablet. It was a niche audience to begin with, and it became even more niche with the rise of the 5+ inch smartphone screen. They sure are neat toys, though.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

EVIL Gibson posted:

I have upgraded my nexus 10 (the old one) with cyanogen so it has marshmallow right now.

My big problem is it will hard reset whenever it does a lot of certain processing. I don't know what kind but I know it will 100% of the time reset whenever I attempt to play a 60fps video on YouTube.

Is there any rom that works at marshmallow for the device?

I've been having this issue for around 6 months now, let me know if you find a solution! I dearly love my Nexus 10 and absolutely no desire to replace it any time soon.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

I've been having this issue for around 6 months now, let me know if you find a solution! I dearly love my Nexus 10 and absolutely no desire to replace it any time soon.
The N10 suffered from random reboots under load even when it was new.

Samsunged again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The 7 to 8 inch tablet is like a 1% first world luxury kind of thing. We want it because it's a smaller unit that's easier to hold one handed and in bed. I mean just saying I think most of us who want or use something in the 7 inch space, already have a large tablet that's just as capable.

I'm taking good care of my nexus 7 and I will even pay people to replace the battery or screen for me if that ever died. I still use it as much as my ten inch tablet. I know it's a super first world problem but I like having the options of slightly big phone, small tablet and large tablet. Each have their own space and usage.

But yes, still upset there's no good replacement for a nexus 7 without being expensive as balls.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Ineffiable posted:

But yes, still upset there's no good replacement for a nexus 7 without being expensive as balls.

Not sure I agree. The Shield K1 is only slightly larger, and it's $200. That's pretty drat affordable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing that frustrates me about the K1 (which is probably good for my wallet) is that it's not available retail anywhere. I probably would have grabbed one as an impulse purchase by now had that been the case.

Of course, it's possible it may not get nougat (actually would be pretty amazing if it does at this point) so maybe I'm better off not being able to purchase.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus 10 is what you get when you buy Samsung: 245 crashes and counting since March 2013. These days even watching YouTube crashes the tablet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

G-Prime posted:

Not sure I agree. The Shield K1 is only slightly larger, and it's $200. That's pretty drat affordable.

I have have the K1, and it's good except the battery kinda sucks on it. Also it's pretty heavy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have an issue with my N7 2013. Is this the thread to ask about it in, or should I ask in the Android thread?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Depend on if it's an android issue or something to do with its tablet functionality specifically. Just ask here I guess if you don't know. You can always move over to the other thread if needed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For some reason, when I plug it in to my computer, images just show up as an icon. It doesn't matter if it's a photo or screenshot I took, or an image I downloaded. All I see is an icon showing that it's an image. On my phone, I can see every image on it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Nexus 10 is what you get when you buy Samsung: 245 crashes and counting since March 2013. These days even watching YouTube crashes the tablet.

Wow I bought a second hand waterproof Pantech element (from 2012) that's still running Honeycomb and it's solid as it's ever been. It has a short battery life but still works great as a bath tv, 8 in and 4 x 3 is a great size/ratio combination for watching TV.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a thread dedicated to Amazon devices? I'm interested in something cheap for travelling with but want to know a little more about the OS and experiences running android apps on it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My Nexus 7 (2013) has had issues charging with the USB port for quite some time but now just this week I cant even charge it with my wireless charger (which Ive been using in lieu of the USB port). Should I get a new battery (if thats possible) or could it be some other issue?

The tablet just sits at home next to my bed so I havent been going everywhere with it dropping it on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KoB posted:

My Nexus 7 (2013) has had issues charging with the USB port for quite some time but now just this week I cant even charge it with my wireless charger (which Ive been using in lieu of the USB port). Should I get a new battery (if thats possible) or could it be some other issue?

The tablet just sits at home next to my bed so I havent been going everywhere with it dropping it on everything.

I replaced the battery on mine a little while ago but yours may have more problems than just the battery if it's not charging properly. I'd try to figure out if the USB port is hosed or if the charging coil is bad or what and if it just seems like the battery it's a pretty easy fix:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nexus_7_2nd_Generation