Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Oh my. That's rather tempting. I guess I can put off buying a vr setup again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I'm thinking about it. No cooling or balancing needed is really pretty amazing and if it's as quiet as they say it would probably be worth having. And if it turns out to be a bust, you can probably sell it for at least $699.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's not a purchase I thought I'd make today, but here we are.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
Does anybody have a suggestion for a microwave?

The internet tells me that this is the best one? All I need it to do is warm up some meals.

I recall that there was some discussion about a modulated power source, or something like that. Maybe it was a microwave from Samsung?

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005

TATPants posted:

Does anybody have a suggestion for a microwave?

The internet tells me that this is the best one? All I need it to do is warm up some meals.

I recall that there was some discussion about a modulated power source, or something like that. Maybe it was a microwave from Samsung?

After a bunch of hemming and hawing over the inverter stuff and reading about wide spread unreliability with the generally recommended inverter units from Panasonic/Samsung, I ultimately went with that exact model you linked. I've had it about 4 months and it's been great so far. The Sweet Home review was pretty spot on. If I have any complaints, it's that it's a little TOO good. It's very powerful, and you have to really be mindful of that because depending on what you're heating, and what you're heating it in, your food and/or dishes can go from cold to nuclear very quickly. At max power I have yet to come across any portion load on a 10'' plate that needed more than 90 seconds. My plates are also way to hot to handle with bare hands. I've gotten in the habit of dropping power down to 8 or 9 and bumping up to 1:45 or 2 min warm times.

Used the by-weight defrost for the first time this morning because bacon and only needed 4 of the 6 minutes it gave me. Pretty satisfied overall.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

geetee posted:

Anyone going in on the Spinzall?

Man I want to so bad but $700 is out of my price range.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do you get a free one

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

vacuity posted:

After a bunch of hemming and hawing over the inverter stuff and reading about wide spread unreliability with the generally recommended inverter units from Panasonic/Samsung, I ultimately went with that exact model you linked. I've had it about 4 months and it's been great so far. The Sweet Home review was pretty spot on. If I have any complaints, it's that it's a little TOO good. It's very powerful, and you have to really be mindful of that because depending on what you're heating, and what you're heating it in, your food and/or dishes can go from cold to nuclear very quickly. At max power I have yet to come across any portion load on a 10'' plate that needed more than 90 seconds. My plates are also way to hot to handle with bare hands. I've gotten in the habit of dropping power down to 8 or 9 and bumping up to 1:45 or 2 min warm times.

Used the by-weight defrost for the first time this morning because bacon and only needed 4 of the 6 minutes it gave me. Pretty satisfied overall.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks for the words, friend.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Amazon deal today is a solid set of saucepans, sautee pans, and a stock pot for $200. All tri-ply too. http://amzn.to/2fyXxbx

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

my summer at fat camp posted:

Do you get a free one

A long time ago on the podcast, Nathan Myrvold was scheduled to come on to promote Modernist Cuisine and give away a free prize. Dave made fun of Nastassia for thinking that Myrvold might give away a free copy of the book, a $600 value. There's no way I'm getting a $700 centrifuge.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I bought the Waring Pro double waffle maker on the left. My friend got the commercial waffle maker on the right for free and dumped it on me. Is there a reason to keep the one on the right over the left? Is the commercial version that much tougher and long lasting? Does it not matter because the nonstick coating will eventually fail on either?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I bought the Waring Pro double waffle maker on the left. My friend got the commercial waffle maker on the right for free and dumped it on me. Is there a reason to keep the one on the right over the left? Is the commercial version that much tougher and long lasting? Does it not matter because the nonstick coating will eventually fail on either?

The only way to know is do a side by side test. I think the Waring is 1400 watts. Any idea how powerful the other is? In my experience that makes a big difference in waffle making. (Although that Waring is what I use/love)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They're both Waring. The double is the consumer line, the single is the commercial line. The commercial single is 1200w

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know what this means, right?

You can now make three waffles at once

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

If you want to get rid of one, I can help you with that. PM me if you're interested.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well help me figure out which one I want to keep first

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Steve Yun posted:

Well help me figure out which one I want to keep first

Make some waffles.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

Make some waffles.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Commercial models usually have replaceable irons, which is cheaper in the long run.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I'm in the market for a Vitamix and I'm trying to decide between two models: the CIA Professional (which I gather is a 5200 in a rebranded box) for $210 and the 7500 for $317. Are there compelling reasons to choose the 7500 and pay $100 extra, or will I be just about as happy with the cheaper 5200?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
$220 Kitchenaid 6-qt pro today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY7MCVK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Special model number, same parts as official model: http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%20W11030487.pdf vs http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%208212278.pdf

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Bought the helllllll outta this!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Bought the helllllll outta this!

Yeah, me too. I found out that this model is (apparently from the parts list) missing a "hall effect" sensor which is listed as a temperature sensor. Dunno if that's a documentation mistake or what impact it would have. People are bitching a little about it being shady, but it's just a good deal if you trust Kitchenaid's docs at all.

edit: Here's a link to the "main" deal page with empire red and the people flipping out about differences that apparently don't exist: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYV1U30/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_aVcpyb0HB9F76

baquerd fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Hall effect sensors are used to measure magnetic fields which can be used to determine current.

I'm guessing that when the electric motors get to hot either the magnetics change or the current changes in some predictable way so that they can shut off the motor.

e: VVV they aren't going to remove the speed control circuit from a massive stand mixer like that. It would be a HUGE safety hazard.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 29, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Murgos posted:

Hall effect sensors are used to measure magnetic fields which can be used to determine current.

I'm guessing that when the electric motors get to hot either the magnetics change or the current changes in some predictable way so that they can shut off the motor.
I haven't seen a wiring diagram or anything, but I'd be surprised if it's just for overload shutoff. They're commonly used as part of active speed control circuits for rotating shafts, and it wouldn't make sense to add the expense of putting one in the design without using it this way.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got a good immersion blender rec?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Anyone got a good immersion blender rec?

I like my Cuisinart

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the best can opener these days? We had the fancy oxo one that creates no sharp edges but it's gotten dull with time.

Also has anyone ever invented a reliable device thats like an egg slicer but for onions, chopping onions and shallots takes the most time of any kitchen prep job for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I like my Cuisinart

Same

You can get some higher end ones that are probably more powerful/built like tanks for restaurant use, but my Cuisinart has never let me down.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From a Meh sale yesterday, one of the Panasonics tend to die.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the best can opener these days? We had the fancy oxo one that creates no sharp edges but it's gotten dull with time.

Also has anyone ever invented a reliable device thats like an egg slicer but for onions, chopping onions and shallots takes the most time of any kitchen prep job for me.

The EZ DUZ IT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071OUJDQ

It is the same as the famous Swingaway, but Swingaway got bought by the chinese and they started making them out of crap steel. This is made in the US of quality steel. Been using one for several years now. Nothing compares.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The EZ DUZ IT is incredible and if I ever need another opener for some reason I'm getting a direct replacement.

Assuming this one doesn't last the rest of my life, that is.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Going to buy a cuisinart thanks guys. Another quick question, anyone got a good brand for a cheese grater? I had a handheld one and the handle snapped and I also had one of the triangle kind that you set down on something and grate the cheese and that one also broke. I need something sturdy and easy to use, but not super fancy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Going to buy a cuisinart thanks guys. Another quick question, anyone got a good brand for a cheese grater? I had a handheld one and the handle snapped and I also had one of the triangle kind that you set down on something and grate the cheese and that one also broke. I need something sturdy and easy to use, but not super fancy.

I like the microplane professional line. All metal construction.

https://smile.amazon.com/Microplane-38000-Professional-Coarse-Grater/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also recommending the EZ DUZ IT. Any can opener will dull eventually, but if you run a doubled-over paper towel through it a few times after it contacts food (especially tomatoes or other acidic/corrosive food) it'll last way longer. Mine's three years in and still just like new.

e: is there a Best Citrus Press? I want something handheld, ideally - but if the countertop ones are way better, I can deal with the extra bulk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Also recommending the EZ DUZ IT. Any can opener will dull eventually, but if you run a doubled-over paper towel through it a few times after it contacts food (especially tomatoes or other acidic/corrosive food) it'll last way longer. Mine's three years in and still just like new.

e: is there a Best Citrus Press? I want something handheld, ideally - but if the countertop ones are way better, I can deal with the extra bulk.

I have some no name handheld one that works fine (as long as you don't put the fruit in the wrong direction, a mistake a lot of people make), and a countertop press for orange juice (or when you gotta press a shitload of lemons). When I got it, I had also purchased an electric orange juicer with the spinny thing on top. The manual press is about twice as fast as the electric one, no less effort (because you have to press the fruit on the electric one pretty forcefully), and gets probably 98% as much juice as the electric one (I pressed a bunch of oranges, then tried to use the electric juicer to get what was left in them. It was a minuscule amount).

I don't know that this is the same one that I have but it looks like it:
https://smile.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-Commercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Do I really need a Searzall? I've wanted one ever since they were announced, but I can't see myself neeeeeeeeding it.....

Also what's the deal with the Instant Pot? All of the housewives on my Facebook are going buttfuck crazy over it and near as I can tell it's more or less an electric pressure cooker with a warming function?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have some no name handheld one that works fine (as long as you don't put the fruit in the wrong direction, a mistake a lot of people make), and a countertop press for orange juice (or when you gotta press a shitload of lemons). When I got it, I had also purchased an electric orange juicer with the spinny thing on top. The manual press is about twice as fast as the electric one, no less effort (because you have to press the fruit on the electric one pretty forcefully), and gets probably 98% as much juice as the electric one (I pressed a bunch of oranges, then tried to use the electric juicer to get what was left in them. It was a minuscule amount).

I don't know that this is the same one that I have but it looks like it:
https://smile.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-Commercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/

Thanks. Since I'll be mainly juicing lemons and limes, I think I'll just go for a no-name citrus press.

Do I really need a Searzall? I've wanted one ever since they were announced, but I can't see myself neeeeeeeeding it.....

Also what's the deal with the Instant Pot? All of the housewives on my Facebook are going buttfuck crazy over it and near as I can tell it's more or less an electric pressure cooker with a warming function?

The words "pressure cooker" are scary, but "Instant Pot" sounds sort of like "Crock Pot." You'd be better off with a stovetop model.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They were half price on Amazon for Black Friday. Slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, sear function, plus three other functions I'll never use. I bought it - I had a Fagor 3-in-1 that I used probably 4 times a week, but the sear function was enough to push me over the edge to upgrade... plus the stainless vice enameled insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've had my eyes on the Chef'n juicers because they use dual lever action. Anyone used these?

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Citrus-Juicer-Lime/dp/B002XOG4B0