Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Sounds like Texas Tech is going to be adding SHSU OC Phil Longo to their staff. No idea if it means someone leaving or if they're anticipating using the 10th spot for him.

In that regards, the 10th assistant spot is expected to pass fairly easily. That means there's going to be lots of movement for assistants this year.

Sab0921 posted:

Is Kliff getting fired?

No. $9.4 million buyout + Hocutt doesn't have time to coaching search what with the whole CFB Playoff committee thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

George H.W. oval office posted:

Didn't Sumlin do the same poo poo to UH? Sounds like tradition to me

He did, and Briles did the same before. Days like this seem to be nothing more than the check coming due for a really good year at the University of Houston.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Daric posted:

Just tell the kids you're talking to some other schools but if it's not a great opportunity you're gonna stay at Houston.

I have never heard of any coach doing this, like ever.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
A lot of people can do it but it's also a pretty dick move.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The real problem with it is that players cannot freely go to other schools and do not get paid, but part of the selling point in recruiting is going to a school to play for that particular coach. I don't think it says much about Herman either way, particularly when there aren't many places to go up from Texas.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Korranus posted:

He did, and Briles did the same before. Days like this seem to be nothing more than the check coming due for a really good year at the University of Houston.

What about the rumors about Holgo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I could have seen this maybe, I don't know, not out of the realm of possibility happening if this was his 4-8 year at WVU and he wanted to get out while Houston looked like a good place to end up.

It's like someone at Houston had the same thought in 2013 and just kept thinking it, ignoring that he's having his best year at WVU since they joined the big 12.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The whiskey bars in Morgantown just aren't doing it for Dana.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

buddhanc posted:

There are tweets like that every single year when coaches leave for bigger jobs. Not really a big deal man, it's the nature of college football.

Just because being a callous liar is a common thing in a field that doesn't make it not a big deal.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

so who's gonna hire Chris Creighton?

7 wins wins with Eastern Michigan. Coach of the year

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

I'm happy for you and Sab and buddhanc, at least

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
At least now I don't have to pretend not to mind Herman's "You have to practice hitting if you're going to get hit in the game" Oklahoma drill style of coaching :v:

I bet Ed Oliver follows him to Texas and I cry myself to sleep

General Dog posted:

Who says "right at their eyes"? That's not a thing

"Looking someone in the eyes" to indicate honesty is a thing, even if it was worded oddly. But anyone who didn't expect Herman to take a bigger job is an idiot :shrug:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 27, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Please fire Helfrich please fire Helfrich please fire Helfrich

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

curried lamb of God posted:

I'm happy for you and Sab and buddhanc, at least

This hire has created a division in my home. I bought season tickets to UH this year and my wife really bought in and has become a big UH fan (she's an undergrad alum, and never really cared/paid attention before).

She's very not happy about this.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

dphi posted:

Please fire Helfrich please fire Helfrich please fire Helfrich

Noooo. We need SOMEONE to occupy the basement seat now that CU has left it empty. Might as well be Oregon :)

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

Noooo. We need SOMEONE to occupy the basement seat now that CU has left it empty. Might as well be Oregon :)

Dude you're not even in the north, be happy both Arizona teams suck.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Tony Sanchez sucks. He should be fired but he'll get another year and then the new AD hopefully makes the correct decision.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Sab0921 posted:

This hire has created a division in my home. I bought season tickets to UH this year and my wife really bought in and has become a big UH fan (she's an undergrad alum, and never really cared/paid attention before).

She's very not happy about this.

Tell her to get used to it unless UH finds a unicorn that is a great coach and doesn't have ambition to coach at a bigger school.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lessail posted:

Tony Sanchez sucks. He should be fired but he'll get another year and then the new AD hopefully makes the correct decision.

Your entire team came out flat and uninspired against your instate rival. Get out of here Sanchez and take your players that don't care with you.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Grittybeard posted:

I could have seen this maybe, I don't know, not out of the realm of possibility happening if this was his 4-8 year at WVU and he wanted to get out while Houston looked like a good place to end up.

It's like someone at Houston had the same thought in 2013 and just kept thinking it, ignoring that he's having his best year at WVU since they joined the big 12.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dana leave here for Houston. I don't think he will, but it wouldn't shock me. His relationship with Shane Lyons seems to be pretty rocky, at best. They've yet to sign a new contract extension after Dana turned an offer down back in the Spring. If he wants out, now is the time.

On the other hand, Dana seems to genuinely like it here. Who knows.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Adun posted:

A lot of people can do it but it's also a pretty dick move.
I see absolutely no downside in telling your players/school/fans you're going to ditch them the second something better comes along.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

heel turn posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dana leave here for Houston. I don't think he will, but it wouldn't shock me. His relationship with Shane Lyons seems to be pretty rocky, at best. They've yet to sign a new contract extension after Dana turned an offer down back in the Spring. If he wants out, now is the time.

On the other hand, Dana seems to genuinely like it here. Who knows.

I've only ever heard he doesn't like Morgantown.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Let's make "told them right at their eyes" a catchphrase. I enjoy that one.

IDK if Herman is gonna be the truth or not but it seems obvious that we needed to make a change and Herman is obvious choice as far as a guy who understands the football scene in the state of Texas.

I'm hoping he has the sense not to run Shane Buechele all the time but if he can coach up a 3rd string QB to championship level I guess that gives him license to get a QB murdered now and again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intruder posted:

"Looking someone in the eyes" to indicate honesty is a thing, even if it was worded oddly. But anyone who didn't expect Herman to take a bigger job is an idiot :shrug:

Yeah I'm familiar with the expression, it was just bizarre wording.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
It's been literally a whole day and Demontie Cross hasn't been fired yet. What the gently caress

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

pseudodragon posted:

I see absolutely no downside in telling your players/school/fans you're going to ditch them the second something better comes along.

If things fell through and he somehow stayed (like he did last year) it would gently caress with the whole coach-player trust thing.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I like the Coach O hire and want him to do well despite hating LSU. But then again this season may have broken me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please change the thread title to NCAA Coaching Carousel: yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw football

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 27, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

R.D. Mangles posted:

please change the thread title to NCAA Coaching Carousel: yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw yaw footbaw

This, please.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

IDK if Herman is gonna be the truth or not but it seems obvious that we needed to make a change and Herman is obvious choice as far as a guy who understands the football scene in the state of Texas.

I will give Texas credit. Although there were annoyed rumblings since like, day one, it was only a little over a week of seriously everyone knows he's gone before they fired him and then actually hired someone right away. This is much better than last time.

Bonus no sub-credible Saban rumors, or Tomlin, or whoever else was thrown around last time.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is Hugh Freeze on the hot seat after their horrible season?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

an adult beverage posted:

I haven't heard anything. I would say he's got the rest of Shea Patterson's time at Ole Miss bare minimum.

Stunt Rock posted:

I like the Coach O hire and want him to do well despite hating LSU. But then again this season may have broken me.

Seriously. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the whole Egg Bowl, I flipped between that and the Alabama game.

Coach O just needed to find a community that spoke his language. :unsmith:

disjoe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 27, 2016

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Not in any sensible world. Ole Miss lost a lot of talent in the off-season and lost it's best DB in the first game of the season. Their defense was young and bad and only a few good D players made it through the season intact. He's also coming off a 10 win season capped by a Sugar Bowl win. He also gets a chance to pick a new D coordinator, since the one responsible for this year's awful defense (and 2014's amazing one) is retiring. A good D coordinator and some more depth/better recruiting on D would go a REALLY long way to fixing the Rebels problems.

It's hard to believe that a team that got shithoused by State and Vandy jumped out to big leads on both Bama and FSU, but this is a team that managed to be both awful and great all at the same time. It's also a team that got worse as the year went on instead of getting better, which is the opposite of how Freeze's teams usually run.

I think disjoe nailed it - he's got at least the rest of Patterson's career to turn things around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/802710965267689472

lol

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ahahahahaha

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I bet he'll try to bigtime his way to an NFL job, it's a logical next step for Kelly.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

I bet he'll try to bigtime his way to an NFL job, it's a logical next step for Kelly.

I'm not sure what NFL team is trying to hire a dude who just went 4-8

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Stunt Rock posted:

Not in any sensible world. Ole Miss lost a lot of talent in the off-season and lost it's best DB in the first game of the season. Their defense was young and bad and only a few good D players made it through the season intact. He's also coming off a 10 win season capped by a Sugar Bowl win. He also gets a chance to pick a new D coordinator, since the one responsible for this year's awful defense (and 2014's amazing one) is retiring. A good D coordinator and some more depth/better recruiting on D would go a REALLY long way to fixing the Rebels problems.

It's hard to believe that a team that got shithoused by State and Vandy jumped out to big leads on both Bama and FSU, but this is a team that managed to be both awful and great all at the same time. It's also a team that got worse as the year went on instead of getting better, which is the opposite of how Freeze's teams usually run.

I think disjoe nailed it - he's got at least the rest of Patterson's career to turn things around.

Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on over there, thanks for the summary. Just saw how badly they lost to a bad Miss State team and was wondering how the fans were feeling moving forward.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Adun posted:

I'm not sure what NFL team is trying to hire a dude who just went 4-8

Hence my use of "try," which would just make it funnier when he gets turned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on over there, thanks for the summary. Just saw how badly they lost to a bad Miss State team and was wondering how the fans were feeling moving forward.

We feel like poo poo but we aren't really blaming anyone in particular

• Locked thread