Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Deteriorata posted:

The US didn't intervene, though. The UN did after the Soviets walked out of the SC meeting.

The US ended up being the primary contributor to the effort, but it was not a unilateral action.

A multilateral action supported by the United Kingdom, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Batista-controlled Cuba, Ecuador (led by its former Ambassador to the US), France and Norway. Come on, do you really think the UN of that period would have intervened if it was the South invading the North? It's not really a coincidence that the goals of the war swiftly turned from 'restoring peace' to 'sweep the Communist regime out of North Korea and unify the peninsula under Seoul.'

The USSR didn't walk out. This was a period where the Soviets were boycotting the UN due to Communist China not being included. (They had already been absent for six months)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, we can't really pretend that the US/South Koreans didn't do like 99% of the lifting during Korea. Sure, it was technically a UN action but only 4% of the troops on the UN side weren't US or South Korean, and most of those were there to wave the flag and little else.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Spent a lot of yesterday reading, but I've actually hit a bit of a brick wall with Wages of Destruction . I don't think I know enough about WW2 and the pre-war era 'in general' to really understand or appreciate this specifically economic history. The author will often say things along the lines of 'this is so well known I won't discuss this here' - which gives me the feeling I am not the intended audience. I felt similarly when trying to read Shattered Sword

What is a good 'broad' history of the Second World War? I think I need to know the basics better before I take another shot at this.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, we can't really pretend that the US/South Koreans didn't do like 99% of the lifting during Korea. Sure, it was technically a UN action but only 4% of the troops on the UN side weren't US or South Korean, and most of those were there to wave the flag and little else.

Hey, come on now, Britain also sent it's conscripts to fight and die in defence of ideology.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Oh no, not ideology! That's only the reason for like 90 billion percent of all wars ever!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Yes, but it's not at all certain how the US would have responded absent the UN sanction. Calling it a "US intervention" is misleading at best.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Spent a lot of yesterday reading, but I've actually hit a bit of a brick wall with Wages of Destruction . I don't think I know enough about WW2 and the prr-war era 'in general' to really understand or appreciate this specifically economic history.

What is a good 'broad' history of the Second World War? I think I need to see the forest before I start looking at the trees.

I would almost recommend watching The World At War, that documentary series gave me essentially the foundation of my knowledge of WW2 that i then filled out from more specific texts, and its just fantastic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well What Now posted:

Oh no, not ideology! That's only the reason for like 90 billion percent of all wars ever!

That's pretty much what I've been saying, and the reason I said ideology instead of "in defence of South Korea".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, but it's not at all certain how the US would have responded absent the UN sanction. Calling it a "US intervention" is misleading at best.

Again, it was an UN sanction that was entirely the US's NATO allies and key American client states (RoC, Ecuador, Cuba). It was absolutely about Containment, and the fact that the Soviets weren't around to use their veto made the UN security council at this point really, really little different from Team Anti-Soviet.

(UN SC composition at this point:
Permanent members
China
France
United Kingdom
United States
Soviet Union (absent)
Non-permanent members
Cuba
Ecuador
Egypt
India
Norway
Yugoslavia)

EDIT: I mean yeah, decision making would have been pretty different if say, Taiwan and NATO voted to OK North Korea taking over the south, but we are in serious Gay Black Truman territory here.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2016

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well What Now posted:

Hey, don't forget "wanting the other guy's (sheep/women/oil) for more pragmatic reasons".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Has anyone read "The face of battle" I was recommended it as a good introductory book to the idea of what it was like to be part of an actual battle.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It's been years since I read it but I enjoyed it. I don't think it's really going to capture the feel you're looking for or go super in depth; memoirs may be better for that. This is more of a cursory overview since it hits multiple eras and other topics.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FastestGunAlive posted:

It's been years since I read it but I enjoyed it. I don't think it's really going to capture the feel you're looking for or go super in depth; memoirs may be better for that. This is more of a cursory overview since it hits multiple eras and other topics.

Sounds like the sort of thing I might want. I am not looking for in depth stuff, more just trying to get a reasonable overview.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Hey now, the South African commitment in Korea at least inadvertedly stopped the PRC becoming a heireditary dictatorship like the DPRK by napalm'ing Mao's son. :vuvu:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I am so sick of having to read the same crap from people trying to defend the Japanese internment. Why the gently caress is the immediate reaction for these idiots is to wail about POW camps and beheadings as if anybody living in San Francisco was moonlighting in the IJA?

As a Japanese American (my father was in Minidoka), I am constantly disappointed by this bullshit. I only hope we have sufficient political power to prevent it happening to anyone else.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hi, Military History thread!

I was reading this article: Life at Embassy Tokyo After Pearl Harbor

And read this bit about American embassy staff in Japan being shipped across the Indian ocean to be exchanged with Japanese embassy staff from the USA:

quote:

This is perhaps a fit point to repeat a story Chip Bohlen told me years later. He had attended a party in Moscow where the company included several Soviet naval officers. Someone brought up the diplomatic exchanges early in the war, and Bohlen, fluent in Russian, mentioned that he had been on the Asama Maru. One of the former naval officers looked at him and said that he (Bohlen) was lucky to be alive.

He told how he had been a submarine skipper in the Indian Ocean, and one very dark and foggy night, he had seen a large ship about to cross his path. Knowing of no Allied vessels of that size in the area, he had assumed it to be an enemy ship. He had ordered torpedoes into the tubes and was just about to give the order to fire when the fog cleared, and he saw a great, lighted cross. He and Bohlen toasted fate and each other with vodka.

1.) A Soviet Sub
2.) On active combat duty in the Indian Ocean
3.) In 1942

:stare:

Assuming I'm not entirely ignorant, this obviously didn't happen, but I'm baffled as to what the origin of the anecdote could be. According to wikipedia, Chip Boheln was the American ambassador to the Soviet Union in the 1950s. I'm assuming this is a misunderstanding of an overheard anecdote or a goofy lie by a drunk Soviet captain, but it just struck me as really weird.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This sounds crazy for sure, but the Soviets *did* have a whole Pacific fleet during WWII, with some 80 submarines by the end of the war. German U-boats and raiders did operate in the Indian Ocean, trying to cut off allied supplies. I mean it'd be a wild story, but....

The most plausible explanation is that a pacific fleet submarine on patrol passed close to a ship matching that description. The 'I was gonna shoot but the fog cleared' is then an embellishment. Or maybe it would be sufficient for the boastful captain to just have been in the Indian ocean during roughly that period. Soviet submarines were on patrol in 1942 at quite substantial ranges:

http://wio.ru/fleet/subm-n-p.htm lists: "L-16 (lost 11 Oct 1942 sunk by Japanese submarine I-15 near the American coasts. Before hostilities with Japan)"

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 27, 2016

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Josef bugman posted:

Has anyone read "The face of battle" I was recommended it as a good introductory book to the idea of what it was like to be part of an actual battle.

I gave it a good skim-read at a friend's house and really enjoyed it. It covered precisely the sorts of things I always wanted to know but which no one else seems to cover such as, what is it actually like to be at the pointy end of a Napoleonic volley, and what does a medieval melee actually look like- are the guys at the back just sort of standing around, etc.
The book covers Agincourt, Waterloo & the Somme, if you're interested in those particular eras.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Reuniting the peninsula through military conquest was not a precedent the UN was willing to tolerate. It still isn't, which is why Russia's invasion of Crimea is illegitimate.

Uh... yeah this is really not an issue the UN has been particularily consistent about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Portuguese_India#Condemnation

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Squalid posted:

Uh... yeah this is really not an issue the UN has been particularily consistent about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Portuguese_India#Condemnation

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The Soviet Union supported India's invasion and vetoed a resolution calling on India to withdraw and resolve the issue diplomatically.

The UN was able to pass a resolution in favor of intervention in Korea specifically because the Soviets walked out and did not veto it. They were careful not make that mistake again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Seeing as the UN (at least in military matters) is handcuffed to the Security Council and at any given time at least 1/5 of the P5 is actively opposing the interests of the others, it's not particularly surprising that it can be kinda schizophrenic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's also no accident that it's like that. The whole point of the security council is so that if push comes to shove, the UN can never seriously oppose the actions of one of the established powers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It's also no accident that it's like that. The whole point of the security council is so that if push comes to shove, the UN can never seriously oppose the actions of one of the established powers.

And also France.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to find out more about the development of jet fighters and more specifically, how militaries handled the transition from prop planes to jets. Did jets at the end of WW2 play a major role in any battles by just dominating prop planes in a dog fight? I guess I'm just wondering what kind of effects a big technological development like that had on existing fleets full of piston engine planes? Any good documentaries or books I should check out?

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 27, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did the League of Nations ever do anything useful back in its day?

The UN may have issues with being toothless, but it seems worlds beyond its predecessor. And in the days past the UN's conception, there has been a proliferation of international unions, commonwealths, cooperatives, organizations, and councils. One way or another, the world's governments are more connected than they've ever been before.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bagarthach posted:

I'd like to find out more about the development of jet fighters and more specifically, how militaries handled the transition from prop planes to jets. Did jets at the end of WW2 play a major role in any battles by just dominating prop planes in a dog fight? I guess I'm just wondering what kind of effects a big technological development like that had on existing fleets full of piston engine planes? Any good documentaries or books I should check out?

They didn't really play any major role, as their introduction for all sides was too late and too low-key to make any kind of impact on the war efforts of the involved parties. The most prominent example would have been the Me-262 but for the most part Allied pilots would just avoid contact and just catch them while they were on the ground or climbing after takeoff. Once a jet plane was in the air it's speed meant any engagement would have been on their terms. There was a US jet plane that saw limited duty during the war but it was never brought in before '45 as a fighter - the P-80.

If anyone has Castles of Steel or similarly-approachable sources on the dawn of the jet age consider me interested.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The Soviet Union supported India's invasion and vetoed a resolution calling on India to withdraw and resolve the issue diplomatically.

The UN was able to pass a resolution in favor of intervention in Korea specifically because the Soviets walked out and did not veto it. They were careful not make that mistake again.

You claimed that the UN sought to avoid creating a precedent of the use of military force to annex territory. However in many subsequent and even prior cases the UN has proved itself indifferent to the use of military force to annex territory or dissect existing states. See: Cyprus 1974, Goa 1961, Israel-Palestine 1948, Bangladesh 1971, etc. We therefore see clearly that the UN has adopted no consistent policy with regards to circumstances as existed in Korea in 1950, and given the ambiguous legitimacy and authority of governments on either side of the parallel, the great powers had plenty of diplomatic wiggle room to justify whatever action they deemed necessary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bagarthach posted:

Jets were never available in large enough numbers to seriously affect anything. The only major part they played would be in the Defense of the Reich vs Allied Strategic Bombing, but even that's a stretch.

The transition between piston to jet didn't have many hiccups as far as I understand it. Trainer aircraft existed, with two-seat Me-262's being an example.

Jets were still in their infancy then, so they didn't have a huge impact on existing piston-engine planes, but it was clear that their incredible speed, once refined, would outclass pistons.

Not sure about any good documentaries/books though, so seconding that request.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pak 43

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

It's not as good as later books at that, but it is very important as one of the first attempts to write a military history that wasn't just endless narratives of divisions marching here and there and treating battles as essentially scientific problems where one side got the solution wrong and showing where they went wrong so the reader could avoid making the same mistake. It was hugely influential in that regard.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bagarthach posted:

The Korean War might be more what you're looking for. From what little I know, both sides attempted to use piston-engined prop planes but they were roughed up badly by jets from the opposing side.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

As a Japanese American (my father was in Minidoka), I am constantly disappointed by this bullshit. I only hope we have sufficient political power to prevent it happening to anyone else.

For gently caress's sakes, was there some recent breitbart "expose" on the internment camps or something? Now I'm hearing people try to spin the internment as a well-intentioned attempt to protect Japanese-Americans from mob violence.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wow. I was thinking internment apologia meant "well, you have to understand the standards and American psyche of the time before passing judgement," not "actually, they were a good thing!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Trump and muslims, that's all you need to start thinking about internment camps

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
HEY GAL, would your guys do anything like this? Two French officers drew up a contract saying that every time one of them was within 100 miles of the other, they would fight a duel, unless military obligations prevented them from meeting. It lasted for 19 years and 30 duels, until one of the officers said that he was going to be married soon and wanted to end the matter. As the post notes, this is one of those stories too dashing to be true, but it seems fairly plausible with the stories you've told.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

darthbob88 posted:

HEY GAL, would your guys do anything like this? Two French officers drew up a contract saying that every time one of them was within 100 miles of the other, they would fight a duel, unless military obligations prevented them from meeting. It lasted for 19 years and 30 duels, until one of the officers said that he was going to be married soon and wanted to end the matter. As the post notes, this is one of those stories too dashing to be true, but it seems fairly plausible with the stories you've told.

Isn't this basically the plot of The Deulist except instead of one guy it's every guy within 100 miles of Harvey Keitel

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't this basically the plot of The Deulist except instead of one guy it's every guy within 100 miles of Harvey Keitel

Close, It inspired the story that film uses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're fighting 30 duels against the same guy you're very bad at duelling.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

OwlFancier posted:

I think both of 'em gotta be pretty bad for that sorta streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OwlFancier posted:

It's more of a case your doing something that is clearly not encouraged in the middle of a long rear end conflict. Some of these throw downs are in the middle of campaign after all.

Other combinations include the duels were called off at the last minute, somebody told an officer or they were busy recovering from fatigue or injury or they just didn't feel like it that day.