Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's been said before, but it's not a linear, traditional, story-driven Final Fantasy.

I really do think it's the MGS V of the series, in that it charts a really bold and exciting new path for the series to take, but a lot of hard-line fans of the franchise probably won't like it.

it's also bogged down by a lot of history, and more than a little baggage from creators whose heads were way far up their own asses and who were given far too much license to mismanage the development process.

However, unlike Konami, Square has the opportunity to right the ship, learn from what this game does really well (and what it doesn't) and hopefully make a really bomb-rear end Final Fantasy XVI. It's a super interesting title in that it largely succeeds in doing what I think Square wanted to do - to blend the very successful Western open-world RPG model with JRPG stuff. They actually hit an interesting balance - it's not a standard open-world game, and it is still distinctly Final Fantasy. I think that a lot of things that have become broken about JRPGs (broken, non-sense plots that collapse under their own weight, rigid character stereotypes - particularly for women, etc.) are still busted here, though.

My dream FFXVI is the evolution of this game, that builds on the really well done open-world exploration, combat, etc. of this game, and figures out how to combine the more character-focused storytelling in many WRPGs with the grand scope that some of the best Final Fantasy games (VI, VII, X) are known for.

Thanks for the info!

If I liked VII, VIII, and IX will I like it? I stopped enjoying FF after X - I didn't like X and anything that's come after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Huzanko posted:

Thanks for the info!

If I liked VII, VIII, and IX will I like it? I stopped enjoying FF after X - I didn't like X and anything that's come after.

I liked VII, VIII, and IX and I like it a lot. That said, you have to be up for something very different than those games. If you liked them because they took pieces of the Final Fantasy "world" and did interesting things with them, you'll probably like it. If you'e looking for a game that just does what those games did (framed around a strong, driving narrative, largely linear progression, and ATB-style combat), you might not. Also, if you didn't like FFXII, than you might not like this because structurally it's the past game that XV is most similar too, although the combat is miles better.

edit: Like, if your favorite part of those games was when you got to run around the world, grabbing new summons, hunting down ultimate gear, and making your dudes as fuckin' OP as you could then you'll probably like this.

edit: And I just ran into a dungeon that has a camping spot mid-way through, so that's at least a thing they're willing to do. Can't save in a dungeon otherwise, though.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 27, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VanillaGorilla posted:

I liked VII, VIII, and IX and I like it a lot. That said, you have to be up for something very different than those games. If you liked them because they took pieces of the Final Fantasy "world" and did interesting things with them, you'll probably like it. If you'e looking for a game that just does what those games did (framed around a strong, driving narrative, largely linear progression, and ATB-style combat), you might not.

edit: Like, if your favorite part of those games was when you got to run around the world, grabbing new summons, hunting down ultimate gear, and making your dudes as fuckin' OP as you could then you'll probably like this.

That was my favorite part. I also liked the narrative. I am glad this one seems to depart from the ATB system which I would like discarded forever.

Thanks! Now I can be hyped. :)

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Pomp posted:

12 is secretly a 90's CRPG revival, before kickstarter made it happen for real

As someone mildly obsessive about 90s CRPGs, what 90s CRPGs played like FF12 in your opinion? I'm one of those who owns basically every CRPG on GOG and none of them are anything like FF12. The overwhelming majority are top-down/isometric with turn-based combat (or RTWP in the case of Infinity Engine stuff, etc.).

The Kickstarter revivals are like that too -- Divinity: Original Sin has a detailed turn-based tactical system, while Pillars of Eternity is real-time with pause with tons of micromanagement, Wasteland 2 is turn-based, etc. etc.

VanillaGorilla posted:

However, unlike Konami, Square has the opportunity to right the ship, learn from what this game does really well (and what it doesn't) and hopefully make a really bomb-rear end Final Fantasy XVI. It's a super interesting title in that it largely succeeds in doing what I think Square wanted to do - to blend the very successful Western open-world RPG model with JRPG stuff. They actually hit an interesting balance - it's not a standard open-world game, and it is still distinctly Final Fantasy. I think that a lot of things that have become broken about JRPGs (broken, non-sense plots that collapse under their own weight, rigid character stereotypes - particularly for women, etc.) are still busted here, though.

My dream FFXVI is the evolution of this game, that builds on the really well done open-world exploration, combat, etc. of this game, and figures out how to combine the more character-focused storytelling in many WRPGs with the grand scope that some of the best Final Fantasy games (VI, VII, X) are known for.

So a major positive for this game is that it's a decent foundation for another game? I'm not sure about that, every mainline FF has had massively different mechanics from the previous ones so 16 being basically '15, only more so' seems pretty unlikely.

Thanks for making so many detailed posts on this game BTW. They've been really informative and confirmed the game isn't for me, which is what I suspected for a while but it's useful to know for sure. For that reason though I really hope I'm right about FF16 and not you :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Preload's live at least in Europe and Japan, get the units on, those of you with low bandwidth. Just over 50 gigs in total

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thorsilver posted:

So a major positive for this game is that it's a decent foundation for another game? I'm not sure about that, every mainline FF has had massively different mechanics from the previous ones so 16 being basically '15, only more so' seems pretty unlikely.
After how much of a massvie shitshow the development of the last few mainline FF games was, they probably will focus on pumping them out consistently over reinventing the wheel.

Besides, they can make mechanical changes to combat and such while still keeping the open world and engine.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

One note I'll make on the open world, by the way - I think a lot of people hear "open world" and think that this is an ubi-soft like open world. It's not. You're not bouncing from activity to activity, climbing towers, etc.

It's really more like if they took the overworld map from past Final Fantasy games and....well, you just fuckin' run around in it. It's fully realized. Granted, it's not as big as the old FF overworld maps are, but it is extremely varied (particularly once you open up all of Duscae). So there is a lot of "empty" space, but that's what the FF overworld maps are like. But it really does capture the fantasy of being able to run around the FF7 overworld, but for....real? There are cool buildings around you can run in and explore, etc., and ruins, but they're not necessarily there for you to play a game in. By the same token, though, there are some really cool locations that you'll just happen upon, and you'll find an optional dungeon, and spend an hour or two fighting your way through it to find a Royal Tomb at the end that the map gave no indication was there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VanillaGorilla posted:

One note I'll make on the open world, by the way - I think a lot of people hear "open world" and think that this is an ubi-soft like open world. It's not. You're not bouncing from activity to activity, climbing towers, etc.

It's really more like if they took the overworld map from past Final Fantasy games and....well, you just fuckin' run around in it. It's fully realized. Granted, it's not as big as the old FF overworld maps are, but it is extremely varied (particularly once you open up all of Duscae). So there is a lot of "empty" space, but that's what the FF overworld maps are like. But it really does capture the fantasy of being able to run around the FF7 overworld, but for....real? There are cool buildings around you can run in and explore, etc., and ruins, but they're not necessarily there for you to play a game in. By the same token, though, there are some really cool locations that you'll just happen upon, and you'll find an optional dungeon, and spend an hour or two fighting your way through it to find a Royal Tomb at the end that the map gave no indication was there.

Is it like FFXII if you cut out the loading screen transitions?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Onmi posted:

Is it like FFXII if you cut out the loading screen transitions?

A little bit, although FFXII never had to feel like a cohesive whole because it was just a bunch of zones. They've done a really amazing job of building a map that is both varied (in that it has everything from desert areas, to lush forests, to a volcanic area with hot springs, to sweeping plains with cool rock formations ) but also comes together very well. The car thing kinda sounded dumb to me originally, but the highway system, combined with smart use of stuff like mountains, tunnels, rivers and bridges make the map feel much larger than it really is, and helps them to make very good transitions between separate "areas".

A lot of people have been rolling their eyes at the "forced" car rides you occasionally have to take (to POIs that you haven't visited yet), but riding in the back of the car for a few minutes, chatting with your bros and listening to music while the scenery rolls by really, really sells the world.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The combat looks almost kingdom hearts-y but with more strategy. I hope I'm not too far off with that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thorsilver posted:

As someone mildly obsessive about 90s CRPGs, what 90s CRPGs played like FF12 in your opinion? I'm one of those who owns basically every CRPG on GOG and none of them are anything like FF12. The overwhelming majority are top-down/isometric with turn-based combat (or RTWP in the case of Infinity Engine stuff, etc.).

The Kickstarter revivals are like that too -- Divinity: Original Sin has a detailed turn-based tactical system, while Pillars of Eternity is real-time with pause with tons of micromanagement, Wasteland 2 is turn-based, etc. etc.

Thanks for making so many detailed posts on this game BTW. They've been really informative and confirmed the game isn't for me, which is what I suspected for a while but it's useful to know for sure. For that reason though I really hope I'm right about FF16 and not you :v:

i'm exaggerating, but I've always felt like it was a better evolution of those games than the contemporarys of the time like kotor ended up being, or even later games that lifted things from it like Dragon Age Origins. People complain about it playing itself but that's not really the case outside of mook encounters which are so easy as to be pointless to care about anyway like every other JRPG that isn't SMT.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Holy poo poo that battle theme opener, loving beautiful. can't wait for this game. oh wait I guess its been 10 years

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Endorph posted:

After how much of a massvie shitshow the development of the last few mainline FF games was, they probably will focus on pumping them out consistently over reinventing the wheel.

Besides, they can make mechanical changes to combat and such while still keeping the open world and engine.

It doesn't seem a great sign for the Luminous Engine that they went for Unreal 4 for both KH3 and FF7:remake though. From a business perspective you also save time/training costs by hiring for Unreal 4 devs, which will be a sizable proportion of new graduates out there in the job market. I might be wrong but my impression of the fallout of this extended dev cycle is that they'd rather write off Luminous as an experiment that produced one finished major product, and move on to other engines in future that are more widely used and less fiddly/expensive to get working properly.

I guess S-E has made a couple tech demos with Luminous, but other than that have they indicated they intend to use it for future games?

Pomp posted:

i'm exaggerating, but I've always felt like it was a better evolution of those games than the contemporarys of the time like kotor ended up being, or even later games that lifted things from it like Dragon Age Origins. People complain about it playing itself but that's not really the case outside of mook encounters which are so easy as to be pointless to care about anyway like every other JRPG that isn't SMT.

I guess I just don't really get the comparison, I mean 90s CRPGs and JRPGs are kind of separate branches of the RPG combat family tree, evolving in pretty different directions. I don't think I've ever seen FF12 compared to PC RPGs except for MMOs -- and KOTOR, which you mentioned. And those were 2000s-era games that the CRPG renaissance is explicitly trying to get away from.

The thing about mook encounters kind of confuses me even more -- a hallmark of the 90s top-down CRPGs is the encounter design, which incorporated environmental elements, varied groups of monsters, etc. The most revered games of that era had tons of hand-tuned encounters which were designed to be challenging, which again is really different from the route most JRPGs go down, including FF12.

While looking for info on what influenced FF12's design, I found this video, in which Ito seems to say his main influence in creating the battle system of FF12 is the NFL (?!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIzjBbO2FQ

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So since there's a lot of good in this game, square will just throw it all out and try to build a whole new thing from scratch, right?

Could they possibly take something decent and run with it for once?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Med School posted:

So since there's a lot of good in this game, square will just throw it all out and try to build a whole new thing from scratch, right?

So you stopped playing after FF9 or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Med School posted:

Generally Square wants to re-use assets as much as possible because of the cost of making an FF game. I suspect we'll see a bit of DLC, maybe the first actual FF expansion, and then some other games built with stuff from this. I think FF games being a trilogy is going to be pretty standard for a while, plus maybe some side games - FF Type-0 was made from leftover FF13 stuff, IIRC.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Generally Square wants to re-use assets as much as possible because of the cost of making an FF game. I suspect we'll see a bit of DLC, maybe the first actual FF expansion, and then some other games built with stuff from this. I think FF games being a trilogy is going to be pretty standard for a while, plus maybe some side games - FF Type-0 was made from leftover FF13 stuff, IIRC.

Type 0 was its own thing. It just borrowed some lore from the Fabula Etc Etc concept.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm ready for FF15-2 with Luna and her friends on a road trip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm ready for FF15-2 with Luna and her friends on a road trip.

SE released test footage of that sequel just recently.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Endorph posted:

and lol @ wrpgs having good character writing

It's more frequent in WRPGs than JRPGs (at least the ones we actually get in US/PAL land). I'm genuinely trying to think of an example of good character writing for a JRPG and can't think of anything. Maybe Persona 3, since some of the characters actually seem to be changed by their experience? Every other JRPG I can think of has a character that is a hard archetype and stays that way, or is a hard archetype, loses confidence in their identity, then through their experiences eventually resolves to be the same hard archetype they were at the start. Character writing can only go so far when the cultural ideal is conformity.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Honey, I'll be staying up late monday evening"

"Why?"

"Final Fantasy XV is coming out"

*Deep sigh*

I'm terrible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

boho posted:

It's more frequent in WRPGs than JRPGs (at least the ones we actually get in US/PAL land). I'm genuinely trying to think of an example of good character writing for a JRPG and can't think of anything. Maybe Persona 3, since some of the characters actually seem to be changed by their experience? Every other JRPG I can think of has a character that is a hard archetype and stays that way, or is a hard archetype, loses confidence in their identity, then through their experiences eventually resolves to be the same hard archetype they were at the start. Character writing can only go so far when the cultural ideal is conformity.

Oh, this conversation is going places.

Probably the most recognizable JRPG character, Cloud from FF7, has an arc that's the exact opposite of what you just described.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boho posted:

Character writing can only go so far when the cultural ideal is conformity.
yeah, japanese people are incapable of good character writing, you sure got it dude

but try the tales series

esp. abyss, it does really interesting stuff with luke and asch's arcs and how they contrast each other

the writing in those games isn't perfect or anything but it's way more interested in letting the characters actually breathe instead of just making them Whedon joke machines that occasionally stumble into something vaguely resembling a human being.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every jrpg i can think of has characters that either go through development or are totally static.....

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

every jrpg i can think of has characters that either go through development or are totally static.....

gently caress you warren moon has more depth than you can imagine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boho posted:

There are plenty of JRPGs where characters have significant character changes throughout the game. I mean frigging hell say what you want about FFVII but Cloud is not the same guy at the start of the game as at the end. Most of the cast aren't.

Also "the cultural ideal is conformity' is silly. Japan has a conservative culture but it isn't like Western stuff is particularly different when it comes to maintaining the status quo. The villains are usually people who want to upend the status quo and the heroes are the ones who protect it. At best the villains have 'good reasons but bad methods' for doing so. (Barring like actual evil empires in which case of course you're fighting the status quo to bring back the "good" status quo that happens to resemble the country who made the game.)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

WaltherFeng posted:

"Honey, I'll be staying up late monday evening"

"Why?"

"Final Fantasy XV is coming out"

*Deep sigh*

I'm terrible

Tuesday evening, unless you ordered by mail and it arrives early.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's unlikely to be a trilogy, Tabata explicitly said during the summer they don't have any plans for sequels in the same world or 'continuing the story after FFXV is out'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They appear to be using the engine or something very similar for FFVII-R and I would bet that includes reusing monster assets for shared creatures.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ff7 remake is using unreal 4 iirrc.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

They appear to be using the engine or something very similar for FFVII-R and I would bet that includes reusing monster assets for shared creatures.

FFVII-R and KH3 both use Unreal 4. Shared assets, yeah they'd probably re-use what they can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything japanese stuff tends to have more overt character development because it all comes from japanese theater and it isn't japanese theater if a guy who tried to kill you 45 minutes ago isn't bawling his eyes out and cursing the moon that he has to live in a world without you. a more accurate criticism of jrpgs would be that most character development involves the characters basically turning to the camera and saying 'im developing now'

but even then there's exceptions because japanese people are people and have individual methods and thoughts on character writing and how it should be done, and are capable of going against the grain

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 27, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ff9's Steiner is a good character and i love him

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
My copy (preordered from the SE online store) showed up on Friday while I was at work, but I was way too tired by the time the patch downloaded on my PS4 that I didn't get around to it until today.

Played about 6 hours today. Didn't do much story but ran around doing side quest stuff and general exploring. I have been enjoying it quite a bit. I really have been having fun with the battle system, and all the main characters have some great dialogue with each other when running around the field.

When I finished off playing I was exploring the Belouve Mines dungeon, game overed because I didn't expect such a high level enemy (boss?) to be running around in a place with level 7 guys. Also have run into some really high level guys in the field that have wrecked my poo poo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
amazon's gonna make me wait until 8pm tuesday huh

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ardryn posted:

Tuesday evening, unless you ordered by mail and it arrives early.

You'd have to be up late on Monday if you wanted to be at the store the moment it becomes the 29th.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My $35 Xbone copy from the Microsoft online store is still "in process," haven't been charged yet either. Don't think I'm getting this Tuesday unless they overnight it Monday.

Anybody else that jumped on this seeing any movement?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thorsilver posted:

It's unlikely to be a trilogy, Tabata explicitly said during the summer they don't have any plans for sequels in the same world or 'continuing the story after FFXV is out'.
The plans for FFXIII sequels were completely different, too. I'm just saying that Square can't really afford to just make one game anymore after spending so much time and money on building something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Plus they've said they're gonna do witcher 3 style DLC areas later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The monster designs and animations in this game are really super cool, guys.

• Locked thread