Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's very baffling to think that in a few days I'll finally be getting FFvs13 in some form after so many years, even if it has a different name now.

Is this how the people waiting for Duke Nukem Forever felt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This is probably the high time to bail out and only come back when I have the game and have beaten it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It's very baffling to think that in a few days I'll finally be getting FFvs13 in some form after so many years, even if it has a different name now.

No, because Duke Nukem Forever looked, graphically, terrible.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
PSN preload just started in North America.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

kerwyn posted:

PSN preload just started in North America.

I don't think mine is doing anything .At least I don't see it in my downloads. How do I check?

e: Went to my library to purchased items and there was an option to download. Game is 50 gigs

I dont know what masamune or angler set are, but I downloaded them too. Guessing fishing poo poo? and a weapon.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2016

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Find it in your library and there should be an option to manually start the download. Mine went right away but from the subreddit people are reporting it not starting automatically.

^^ preorder bonueses from PSN. I have no idea what they do but yeah; fishing outfit (or fishing equipment? idk) and a weapon

kerwyn fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 27, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good in depth or insider account of the development history of this game? I guess it's common knowledge the first game director got kicked out and it was rebooted. But do we have any details to point to or a longer narrative about it anywhere?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Raxivace posted:

It's not Versus XIII. If you go into the game thinking "finally, Versus XIII in some form came out", you'll end up hating and despising the game. This game really started development in 2012 and is just reusing the aesthetic and character names and design from Versus XIII, nothing else. So judge it by the standards of a new Final Fantasy instead of what Versus XIII depicted in the trailers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Raxivace posted:

Nah, Duke Nukem Forever was more of a curiosity rather than a game people were actually excited for. Everyone knew it was gonna be terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

Nah, Duke Nukem Forever was more of a curiosity rather than a game people were actually excited for. Everyone knew it was gonna be terrible.

Man you must not have read the thread for it, the denial in that thing could have caused a second Big Bang.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pomp posted:

amazon's gonna make me wait until 8pm tuesday huh

Last time I got release day shipping it arrived the day before. So you may get lucky!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm ready for FF15-2 with Luna and her friends on a road trip.

That would be sweet as hell and would make sense for a lot of reasons. The gameplay mechanics could be unchanged, just with a few refinements here and there/new techniques added etc. They could get away with some environments being reused. With my tumblr hat on, boys get a roadtrip and it would be nice for girls to get one too.

Seriously we've had Boy Band, that should be followed by Gal Pals.

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.

Ardryn posted:

Tuesday evening, unless you ordered by mail and it arrives early.

Wait what? This thing isn't gonna open up at 1201 am on Tuesday morning?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

work the balls Sally posted:

Wait what? This thing isn't gonna open up at 1201 am on Tuesday morning?

I think he meant you might not get your delivery that day until later. My psn says 12am est tuesday

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think he meant you might not get your delivery that day until later. My psn says 12am est tuesday

Phew! Waiting an extra day for seemingly no reason would be lame.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, i had a 3 day weekend off, sat sunday monday, followed by 11 days of work. I got my Tuesday swapped with Monday so I can play it when I get home late monday night and have the next day. I normally don't get this excited about game releases. Last time was fallout 4 and that was a little disappointing but I feel good about FF15.

e: vvvv yeah I watched Brotherhood and I think it was pretty good. I already liked the interaction between the main cast from video clips before, and it builds on that. Hadn't seen kingsglaive

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 27, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For those who don't wanna watch Kingsglaive (understandable) or Brotherhood (come on, it's free and on youtube and not half-bad, you totally should), I summed up the biggest plot beats in this post.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
in regards to Brotherhood - I thought the caretaker killed by the daemon was his mother?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thought that at first too but considering how she referred to him with honorifics and all that, I'unno. He didn't seem very hung up about it.

Anyway there's an ATR about the Day 1 patch stuff that started right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fegJVVUBwOE

Of course, immediately Hide Chat to avoid spoilers.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Stream makes it clear Judgment was not a good judge of the final game with how much more life there is in the field. Good. Wanna max out that notCrystarium.

e: Do manual saves often in Chapter 5 before doing things and going places, a bug was found with the main questline, be safe

Regarding difficulty I read this

quote:

I switched to Easy just to check it out and the one battle I fought was just a matter of holding down until the last enemy toppled over. On Normal that same battle would take at least a few minutes of coordinated fighting, warping linking up and such. Way more rewarding, if only gameplay-wise.

e: the way some NPCs act super stiffly makes sense to me, some even look all "oh my god the prince and his entourage, must stay cool and calm while losing my poo poo" while some NPCs are cool enough to manage holding on fine treating them like any customer

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 27, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

I thought that at first too but considering how she referred to him with honorifics and all that, I'unno. He didn't seem very hung up about it.

I tuned in for a second to see Noctis throwing a dropkick

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

My game shipped. Now to be on the edge of my seat about whether I'll get it tomorrow or Tuesday

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

FactsAreUseless posted:

The plans for FFXIII sequels were completely different, too. I'm just saying that Square can't really afford to just make one game anymore after spending so much time and money on building something.

I hope so, dude! Hopefully like those other posters said they might at least learn a lot from this and make the VII remake actually really, really good.

...then they can buy the rights to Monster Rancher from Tecmo and make the awesome series reboot some of us have been waiting for for years.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Terper posted:

People kept saying Wait Mode is always on in combat if you enable it but here they seem to be switching it on and off on the fly. Were they just wrong?

Because if you can just switch it on it definitely seems like a great way to play the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait mode is on if you basically completely let go of the stick. That's a thing you rarely do if you play it normally on purpose.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Turned on the PS4 this morning to put on some TV with breakfast and got a bunch of notifications that FFXV has been downloaded, the Masamune DLC has been downloaded, and some 8-bit graphics DLC that I don't care about has been downloaded. I might have squealed like a little girl just a bit.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

FactsAreUseless posted:

The plans for FFXIII sequels were completely different, too. I'm just saying that Square can't really afford to just make one game anymore after spending so much time and money on building something.

It's more cost efficient these days to to sell DLC expansions for the base game through a service model and later release a GoTY version with DLC than go through the process of producing and launching sequels in retail. The FFXIII sequels have a reputation of being quick cash grabs but over two hundred people worked on each entry, including Tri-Ace, for two years. It's also very difficult to get fully featured sequels out on a regular basis unless you have multiple teams tagging in, such as Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games, and Treyarch developing Call of Duty in tandem.

Furthermore, AAA sequels that don't reinvent the game or are feature complete have a difficult time competing in today's market. The graveyard this year is filled with the likes of Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Watch_Dogs 2. You have to either be a best of breed product, target an under-served market, or bring something entirely new to the table to survive in AAA. SE has been a very successful MMO/Mobile developer but they've struggled to compete in AAA.

One thing we could see if the use of an episodic system for all of SE's AAA games. Hitman Season 1 was a success and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to become commonplace for the company. The traditional AAA release model hasn't worked very well for them.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Is there a good in depth or insider account of the development history of this game? I guess it's common knowledge the first game director got kicked out and it was rebooted. But do we have any details to point to or a longer narrative about it anywhere?

This is the fourth time a main FF game went way behind schedule and the third time staff had to be reshuffled. There's something fundamentally wrong with how recent FF games have been made rather than a specific problem with Versus XIII/XV. Chances are that the same problems with scope and a lack of direction that affected XII/XIII/XIV 1.0 also affected Versus XIII.

Nonetheless, they aren't very open about talking about what went wrong with Versus XIII. Most of what we know are from leaks during the reboot in 2012 and recent interviews from Tabata.

This is probably the closest thing we'll get to a tell-all book: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/21/final-fantasy-xv-ultimania-pages-bible/

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The fuckin' dungeons in this game are no joke. I'm like, dramatically over-leveled for the main question (sitting at 43), and wandered into a cave I found that happened to be a dungeon. The dungeon quest that popped up was like level 27, so I was like "no sweat".

Next thing I know there are level 41 Necromancers mixed in with the level ~20 monsters and they are absolutely pushing my poo poo in. Throwing around instant death moves, petrify, etc.

Managed to fight my way to the end but gently caress me it was like my own personal Vietnam up in there.

edit: oh, and did I mention the environmental hazards? There were environmental hazards.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 27, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

:3::3::3: I can't wait to enter December hibernation with this

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
There isn't anyway to preload the patch if you are getting a physical edition is there?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

There isn't anyway to preload the patch if you are getting a physical edition is there?

I can't download patches for games I don't have, so no.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some tips apparently. You only need 6.5 gigs downloaded to start the game up, it'll download the rest in the background.

Put your ps4 on rest mode to make the download faster.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tae posted:

Put your ps4 on rest mode to make the download faster.

This is very good to remember. The difference in download speed is vast for some reason

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For those that have it early, does it give you any language options or is it English only?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Audio is Japanese and English, subtitles are in EFIGS from what I understand.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Audio is Japanese and English, subtitles are in EFIGS from what I understand.

Thanks, Japanese audio is what I was looking for. SE usually does a decent job of casting English voice actors so i'll check out both tracks.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

So there is no way to play as a female character or have female NPCs in your party, correct?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

So there is no way to play as a female character or have female NPCs in your party, correct?
the main characters are the only people ever in your party, there's no sub-party members or anything, and you can only ever play as noctis

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
How's the music in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Endorph posted:

the main characters are the only people ever in your party, there's no sub-party members or anything, and you can only ever play as noctis

I think I've seen the royal butler guy and Gladio's sister as fifth members before, like they had health bars and got into the beefs.

• Locked thread