Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In Training posted:

I picked up the mega man legacy collection in the sale and played MM1 and enjoyed it. I got killed by yellow devil a few times and had to stop

do you know the pause trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

bloodychill posted:

That dog thing on the bottom right is terrifying

it's ronald mcdognald

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

And the ActRaiser sequel, actually, which is hard as gently caress but a well-made action platformer.
:yeah: You and me are the only two that believe that, I think!

To add to the list, Gimmick and Umihara Kawase might be my two favorite "lost retro" finds as an adult. Of all things! Castlevania series is up there too but it's not really obscure.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Searching for videos of people unboxing their Black Friday hauls has paid off in FUNKO POP brand despair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Axelay is a good SNES shooter that alternates between horizontally and vertically scrolling stages. Also Time Trax (based on a quickly cancelled 90's TV show) was one of the few good lisenced platformers on the system. Do not mix it up with Time Cop, which is one of the worst.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

speaking of klasky csupo play aaa real monsters for snes. i don't know if it's good but i played it a lot as a child

These assholes can't even draw Ronald McDonald right.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been playing a lot of Division the last couple days. Turns out Survival mode (the latest DLC) is really interesting and fun!

It's made me wonder: I've noticed there's a lot of "battle royale" (think Hunger Games type arena with some survival) lately, are any particularly popular right now? (e) I mean the sort divided into rounds or shorter games, not stuff like Ark or Rust.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I challenged Death to a game of chess... and lost :(

In Crusader Kings II of course. Just got around to trying out the latest DLC, and it's good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

In Crusader Kings II of course. Just got around to trying out the latest DLC, and it's good.

Bogus.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

OKAY

SNES:
Goof Troop - best in co-op but still rock solid solo, Disney had a really good run of games in this period
Harvest Moon - not an obscure series but not many have played the original; relatively archaic but still very good!
Joe & Mac (2) - cute caveman/dinosaur platformers; not like, amazing but still fun and good for co-op
E.V.O. Search for Eden - quirky sidescroller where you progress through prehistoric time periods picking and choosing evolutionary traits for yourself
Marvelous - you'll need a translation patch for this but you seem okay with that extra step. Tag team as three different boys and help them track down some ancient treasure at summer camp! Directed by the guy who would take the reins of the Zelda series and made in the same engine as LttP

Gameboy:
Donkey Kong - more obscure than it should be. This looks like a basic port of the old arcade game but it quickly gets reaaaaally good
Survival Kids - precursor to Lost in Blue on the DS, you're a kid washed up on an island and you gotta survive!
Mole Mania - Miyamoto's least known game! This is a really good and cute puzzle game where you play a mole trying to rescue his family from a nefarious farmer by pushing and pulling and throwing and digging
Shadowgate - all of the old Macventure adventure games got GB ports but this is the only good one imo. Half the fun is finding all the goofy deaths! Note that there's a Steam remake with fancypants graphics
Legend of the River King - chill fishing game brought to you by the same people who made Harvest Moon
Harvest Moon 2 - all three GB games are good but the second is best imo
Warlocked - it's an RTS! On the the GBC! And it's good!
Wario Land - most people will talk up 2 and 3 (which are good!) but the first one is really solid too, albeit more like a Mario game than later Wario games
Pokemon Trading Card Game - a single player campaign about the Pokemon TCG
Wendy Every Witch Way - WayForward making licensed games! This one is pretty good actually and revolves around flipping gravity, the cute witchy version of VVVVVV
Kid Dracula - the Parodius version of Castlevania
Animorphs - don't actually play this, but watch the GDQ run of it

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sakurazuka posted:

Axelay is a good SNES shooter that alternates between horizontally and vertically scrolling stages. Also Time Trax (based on a quickly cancelled 90's TV show) was one of the few good lisenced platformers on the system. Do not mix it up with Time Cop, which is one of the worst.

When I was 13 or so I rented Axelay and had a great time. I wasn't that great at shooters being 13 but I managed to get to the final boss. Axelay is a game where your ship colliding with things does damage. So it turns out my last move with my last life was to accidentally run into the final boss, which killed it, and also gave me enough points to earn an extra life, meaning I just won the game somehow.

Well that's my Axelay story...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just played Astebreed for the first time, got to the end of game boss without losing a continue on normal then proceeded to need about twelve to beat it :sigh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

speaking of klasky csupo play aaa real monsters for snes. i don't know if it's good but i played it a lot as a child

Ah, my favorite Rocket Power character, The Hamburglar.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There's an achievement for a perfect day in Cook Serve Delicious, and I can unfailingly turn in 39 perfect meals and 1 average. Whenever I remove all of the complicated dishes, I still manage to whiff one just by being clumsy. :negative:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuqkd42ztg

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:toot:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

a fun SNES game I never see anyone talk about is HyperZone. It was made by HAL and it's got some things in common with F-Zero but instead of a racing game it's a behind the back shoot-em-up like Space Harrier. You start out with kind of a cruddy yellow volkswagen of a ship but if you score well you unlock cooler ships with better weapons and a neat detail is that your entire HUD changes for each ship. Good music too, kind of sounds like it fell out of a Kirby game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tM8EjFIV1k

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

Next time challenge Death to a game of Twister.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What the hell is Grimace supposed to be, anyway? Just a shape with arms?

The McDonalds characters being weird as poo poo makes a lot more sense when you learn that McDonalds basically plagiarized them from Sid and Marty Krofft.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

a fun SNES game I never see anyone talk about is HyperZone. It was made by HAL and it's got some things in common with F-Zero but instead of a racing game it's a behind the back shoot-em-up like Space Harrier. You start out with kind of a cruddy yellow volkswagen of a ship but if you score well you unlock cooler ships with better weapons and a neat detail is that your entire HUD changes for each ship. Good music too, kind of sounds like it fell out of a Kirby game.

Oh my loving god I forgot about this game

What a nostalgia-gasm that video is

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

oddium posted:

man the genesis just looks so cool

e: this one is missing HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS which was deffo part of the best looking console factor

You ideally want the Japanese one with the fuckoff huge golden 16- BIT logo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

lets hang out posted:

I watch this very video on occasion just to enjoy the music. I think I rented this game like 3 times as a kid.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

so hey there's a No Man's Sky update :stonk:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

so hey there's a No Man's Sky update :stonk:

http://i.imgur.com/64F4vRP.gifv

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

When it actually releases I'll reinstate the thread but I'll need an OP who isn't a crazy fanboy or an insane hater. Please apply for an NMS thread OP position today.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
After the rollercoaster ride that was the months before and after the launch, I am genuinely looking forward to giving NMS another go someday.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Apparently that patch went live right now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh for game boy games play the bugs bunny/crazy castle/whatever the license is in your country

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Palpek posted:

When it actually releases I'll reinstate the thread but I'll need an OP who isn't a crazy fanboy or an insane hater. Please apply for an NMS thread OP position today.

i'm not at my computer but here's my op: it's several images of the windows xp desktop field but i've color shifted the sky/ground

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Put the NMS thread in Derek Smart's Nightmare Autism Battle Arena.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think it would be cool if the patch actually made NMS into a good game, if only as a balm to the people who bought it launch and couldn't get a refund. Especially the people who bought the Explorer's Edition from iam8bit, which inexlicably still has not shipped all these months later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am hopeful that the game can incrementally become what some people wanted it to be thru such updates and mods.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

I think it would be cool if the patch actually made NMS into a good game
I don't think this patch will do much for naysayers. However, it is a definite, unquestionably solid first step. Including both the planet base-building AND the space freighters in the first update, two things people complained about perhaps the most, was a very smart move. And the building method looks very good and intuitive, as well. Just point at a wall and turn it into whatever you need it to be on the fly? Perfect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

oh for game boy games play the bugs bunny/crazy castle/whatever the license is in your country

Also Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge. It's awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Mega Man 1 this morning and started 2. I went Metal Man then Wood Man on a guess and it worked. The music and level design is already noticeably better

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I finally got around to finishing Titanfall 2. Game rules. Short and sweet campaign with some awesome awesome set pieces and mechanics.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know whether to blame Imgur or Steam but their site has gotten so bloated that it consistently freezes Steam's browser and locks up the entire overlay in the process, making a lot of the community guides on Steam useless since they link to Imgur posts. Like, goddam does the modern web suck.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Having never played, I don't have strong feelings about NMS, but holy moly this is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

I can throw one together later today if no one else has stepped up by then.

a kitten posted:

Having never played, I don't have strong feelings about NMS, but holy moly this is incredible.

It's amazing how "hating video games" is now a full-time job for some people. Minus points for not sticking to the meter though

• Locked thread