Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

King Hong Kong posted:

The not at all fraudulent Seahawks, a team that has defeated exactly one quality opponent, is sure to win a Super Bowl.

It's not seattle's fault that every team they play is mediocre or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

a neat cape posted:

It's not seattle's fault that every team they play is mediocre or bad.

Is it their fault when they lose to the Rams every season

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Eifert Posting posted:

After 13 years the conservative coach, who may literally be afraid of rookies, Marvin Lewis finally went full Marvin.

Consider that you are widely considered to have a talented team but you are almost certainly out of the playoffs for the year as a result of a weak secondary and o-line. You've just lost two of your QB's top three targets for multiple weeks.

You have two players eligible to return from IRthat you yourself have stated are healthy. You have to choose one. They are:

A 30 year old Special teams running back who can not contribute on offense. He is a special teams captain, and your special teams unit has been reasonably good in protection and coverage. He is not under contract next year.

Your rookie first round corner. He needs development and likely wouldn't start but badly needs practices and game time to develop. your secondary is the worst its been in likely about 8-10 years.

Marv went with the special teams player.

I'm generally happy to make excuses for him because on average I feel he's a good coach and he basically resurrected a corpse, but this is pretty indefensible.

I agree that we should fire Marvin Lewis.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Is it their fault when they lose to the Rams every season

Everyone loses to someone they shouldn't lose to. Like the Cowboys

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

a neat cape posted:

Everyone loses to someone they shouldn't lose to. Like the Cowboys

Cowboys will lose to the Bucs. Book it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl unless someone important gets hurt. And they will probably win next year also and maybe even push for an undefeated year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kawalimus posted:

The Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl unless someone important gets hurt. And they will probably win next year also and maybe even push for an undefeated year.

Hahahaha where the gently caress do you get these ideas from

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm just hopeful to see a team(that I don't hate) go on a real undefeated run. I really thought the Patriots were gonna do it that year and it saddened me when they lost. The Cowboys, I think, have the foundations to have that kind of run. And I want to see them do it next year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah that seems a stretch coming off the Cowboys barely beating probably the worst run and cursed team in the NFL, the Baltimore Ravens

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Yeah that seems a stretch coming off the Cowboys barely beating probably the worst run and cursed team in the NFL, the Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens were a bad matchup for the Cowboys. I even said the Ravens had an ok shot at an upset. But even though we stopped Elliot they were still able to take full control of the game. The Cowboys next year(assuming the team isn't about to get blown up in the offseason due to contracts and free agency) will be like something we haven't seen since those 2007 Patriots. A team in a class of its own. Well maybe their defense has to improve a little for that but it might you never know and they still have draft picks they can use to fill holes. Cause they're stacked on offense.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I dunno. Kind of getting a 2015 Panthers vibe from the Cowboys. Good enough to make a strong playoff run, but certainly shouldn't be 15-1 good and will very likely regress next year after the wear and tear of extra playoff games and having to face a tougher schedule.

Plus they'll have to pay that line sometime, and that won't be cheap.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

shirts and skins posted:

I dunno. Kind of getting a 2015 Panthers vibe from the Cowboys. Good enough to make a strong playoff run, but certainly shouldn't be 15-1 good and will very likely regress next year after the wear and tear of extra playoff games and having to face a tougher schedule.

Plus they'll have to pay that line sometime, and that won't be cheap.

The Cowboys are less like the 2015 Panthers and more like the 2007 Patriots. Or the 2009 Colts. Or the 2007 Cowboys, if you prefer. Last year's Panthers may have been less good than their record, but they weren't wildly unbalanced.

With regard to the line, you don't know what you['re talking about--Tyron Smith's on a team-friendly contract til 2023, Travis Fredrick is under contract through 2023, Zack Martin's fifth-year option has been picked up, so he's signed through 2018, La'el Collins is signed through 2017, and Doug Free is signed through 2017. Backup tackle Chaz Green is signed through 2018. Only Ron Leary is a free agent next year.

The Cowboys may overperform this year, but the more likely scenario is that they improve on defense next year by drafting defensive help and filling gaps with the (marginal) cap room they create by trading Romo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No one is ever completing an undefeated season ever again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

No one is ever completing an undefeated season ever again.

You either get your dumb loss out of the way in the regular season, or it happens to you in the postseason. No exceptions.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
But if you don't lose in the regular season or the postseason you got a real shot at going undefeated

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Spoeank posted:

But if you don't lose in the regular season or the postseason you got a real shot at going undefeated

This is straight truth.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

will very likely regress next year after the wear and tear of extra playoff games and having to face a tougher schedule.

This is what I thought would happen to the Redskins. Turns out they're doing just fine and the Panthers and Cardinals are regressing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Spoeank posted:

It's more like winning 17 games in a row in one season is possible, but 19 is just a bridge too far

incompetent posted:

This is what I thought would happen to the Redskins. Turns out they're doing just fine and the Panthers and Cardinals are regressing.

The NFC East actually ended up with a pretty easy schedule this year, which is why the NFC looks "completely dominant" instead of merely "above average"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Spoeank posted:

*scribbles penis on screen, swallows turducken whole*

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

incompetent posted:

The Redskins are surprisingly good. Wasn't sure what to think after last year, since they never beat a team with a winning record. Too bad for them that the rest of the division improved a lot at the same time.

TheChirurgeon posted:

With regard to the line, you don't know what you['re talking about--Tyron Smith's on a team-friendly contract til 2023, Travis Fredrick is under contract through 2023, Zack Martin's fifth-year option has been picked up, so he's signed through 2018, La'el Collins is signed through 2017, and Doug Free is signed through 2017. Backup tackle Chaz Green is signed through 2018. Only Ron Leary is a free agent next year.

Huh. I sit corrected. Will be interesting to see how they try to hold everything together going forward. I definitely don't see that team as a 2007 Patriots, though. That team was absolutely unstoppable until they got to the Giants (both in that regular season win and the Super Bowl).

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

With the Patriots the team just cooled off after the first 10 games or so. They weren't nearly as dominant in the postseason as they were in those first 10 games, and really a loss to the Giants wasn't too impossible to see coming. They almost lost to the Giants in the regular season in game 16 that year if you remember.

But what I mean about the Cowboys being possibly the next 2007 Patriots is the way that team dominated games. You couldn't keep up with their offense and even if you could their defense was good enough to stop you. You couldn't get into a shootout with them they were just a step ahead of the other teams in the NFL. And with the Cowboys I see that potential. Right now they are a dominant team but they have a weakness in their defense and the question mark of a rookie QB. But now you go into next year, and what if Prescott improves? That's a scary thought. And they have Ezekiel Elliot which is a sort of thing the 2007 Patriots didn't have. They have a Randy Moss that's Dez Bryant. They have a Wes Welker that's Beasley. They have all those pieces. The Patriots had a better defense and a true elite QB but they had no Ezekiel Elliot. They also didn't have that offensive line quite like the Cowboys have.

So that brings us to next year. Prescott and Elliot and that line will still be there. I assume Bryant and Beasley will also be around. Maybe Witten too? I don't know if he'll retire yet or not. Maybe some of those guys won't be and I just don't know. But if those guys are around and that offensive line. Then that brings us to the defense. Everyone knows that's the weak link right now so they have this offseason to improve it. And a lot of the bad parts come from injuries right now. So with draft picks and maybe sign some free agents. They only need a decent defense.

So then you have the recipe. Remember the KC Chiefs went like 10-0 back in 2003 or 4 I forget which one with that killer offensive line. And this line is the closest thing to that that exists. So they have that and the same amazing and maybe even better offensive cast. And they have the offseason to improve the defense.

So this is why I believe that in the 2017 season the Dallas Cowboys will go 19-0. Unless they get injuries to key players. I do not think the team is even beatable if they are functioning. And you know Jerry Jones is going to want to see that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kawalimus posted:

With the Patriots the team just cooled off after the first 10 games or so. They weren't nearly as dominant in the postseason as they were in those first 10 games, and really a loss to the Giants wasn't too impossible to see coming. They almost lost to the Giants in the regular season in game 16 that year if you remember.

But what I mean about the Cowboys being possibly the next 2007 Patriots is the way that team dominated games. You couldn't keep up with their offense and even if you could their defense was good enough to stop you. You couldn't get into a shootout with them they were just a step ahead of the other teams in the NFL. And with the Cowboys I see that potential. Right now they are a dominant team but they have a weakness in their defense and the question mark of a rookie QB. But now you go into next year, and what if Prescott improves? That's a scary thought. And they have Ezekiel Elliot which is a sort of thing the 2007 Patriots didn't have. They have a Randy Moss that's Dez Bryant. They have a Wes Welker that's Beasley. They have all those pieces. The Patriots had a better defense and a true elite QB but they had no Ezekiel Elliot. They also didn't have that offensive line quite like the Cowboys have.

So that brings us to next year. Prescott and Elliot and that line will still be there. I assume Bryant and Beasley will also be around. Maybe Witten too? I don't know if he'll retire yet or not. Maybe some of those guys won't be and I just don't know. But if those guys are around and that offensive line. Then that brings us to the defense. Everyone knows that's the weak link right now so they have this offseason to improve it. And a lot of the bad parts come from injuries right now. So with draft picks and maybe sign some free agents. They only need a decent defense.

So then you have the recipe. Remember the KC Chiefs went like 10-0 back in 2003 or 4 I forget which one with that killer offensive line. And this line is the closest thing to that that exists. So they have that and the same amazing and maybe even better offensive cast. And they have the offseason to improve the defense.

So this is why I believe that in the 2017 season the Dallas Cowboys will go 19-0. Unless they get injuries to key players. I do not think the team is even beatable if they are functioning. And you know Jerry Jones is going to want to see that.

nah

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

For reals, the 2016 Cowboys have more in common with the 2007 Cowboys than the 2007 Patriots. I only mentioned them as similar because they were also an unbalanced team whose only loss was to the Giants. This team isn't going to go 16-0

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

darn it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

For reals, the 2016 Cowboys have more in common with the 2007 Cowboys than the 2007 Patriots. I only mentioned them as similar because they were also an unbalanced team whose only loss was to the Giants. This team isn't going to go 16-0

Well this team can't go 16-0. Because they already lost game 1. And they will probably drop a game or two more maybe even in the playoffs against Seattle. But next year they can be even better than this year. What I mean with the 2007 Patriots is a team that's strong enough on offense to blow everyone away. Those Chiefs that year lost because in the playoffs the Colts were able to outgun them on offense. It was an offensive shootout and the Colts won. But if the Cowboys improve their defense, nobody can beat them.

I hope they can do it. I want to see it so bad. And I also want to see a trophy made just for it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

shirts and skins posted:

Huh. I sit corrected.

Eric Legrand account spotted.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl against the Steelers or vice versa I think I might go to Appalachia

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chichevache posted:

Eric Legrand account spotted.

Aw now I'm sad :smith:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Kawalimus posted:

Well this team can't go 16-0. Because they already lost game 1. And they will probably drop a game or two more maybe even in the playoffs against Seattle. But next year they can be even better than this year. What I mean with the 2007 Patriots is a team that's strong enough on offense to blow everyone away. Those Chiefs that year lost because in the playoffs the Colts were able to outgun them on offense. It was an offensive shootout and the Colts won. But if the Cowboys improve their defense, nobody can beat them.

I hope they can do it. I want to see it so bad. And I also want to see a trophy made just for it.

Dak will hit the Sophomore Slump and the Cowboys will fall to the Tony Romo lead [INSERT TEAM HERE]

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

its all nice on rice posted:

Cowboys will lose to the Bucs. Book it.

Cowboys gonna lose to the Lions after Stafford goes 98 yards in the last 18 seconds for the GW touchdown.

On a 31 yard rush play.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Athanatos posted:

Dak will hit the Sophomore Slump and the Cowboys will fall to the Tony Romo lead [INSERT TEAM HERE]

The Browns don't play the Cowboys next year.

They play AFCW and NFCW...Romo on the Niners wouldn't be terribly surprising though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It'll be Jay Cutler and I will have a reprieve from the darkness because my team's QB will hate my team as much as I do

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

whypick1 posted:

The Browns don't play the Cowboys next year.

They play AFCW and NFCW...Romo on the Niners wouldn't be terribly surprising though

Way more likely that he ends up on the Broncos, IMO

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

aBagorn posted:

Way more likely that he ends up on the Broncos, IMO

That's unless he's content to be a back up and Matt Hasselbacks his way around the league then he could go anywhere.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Can't wait to see how the Falcons will manage to bungle this week's game.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

HannibalBarca posted:

Can't wait to see how the Falcons will manage to bungle this week's game.

Probably by giving up 80 yard TDs to Fitz/Brown/whoever, seeing as how the only good player in their secondary just went down for the season.

Hope the Falcons win though, Cardago delenda est.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RIP Sean Taylor. Dude owned. I was legit sad when he passed.

What a senseless murder. Woof.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

A Man and his dog posted:

:(

:cry:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Romo is going to be a Bronco or a Cardinal and it will own.

A Man and his dog posted:

Welcome back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I could see Romo going to KC - I believe they can cut Smith for very little hit if they want to and that's really all the team needs. Jets would also be a good spot for him as they have a lot of good pieces and Brady is due to fall off some day soon.

• Locked thread