Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Alright, Ahriman was my First Completed and Mastered Mote Battle. :toot:

I had to S/L until I could count on Balthier making sure the Blind and Poison stuck while Ramza/Tyro/Selphie had the Full/Mag/Def Mitigation set before Luneth and his RM3 could start blowing away the Eyeball via his RWed BSB and Aerora Strike...

Only casualty was a stoned Ramza on the last 10% of Ahriman's Health.

That said, thank goodness I got way more Onion Motes than needed from the Enigma++ Dungeon: I wouldn't like to try my luck with that slog.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Got all my onion motes :toot:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AstraSage posted:

That said, thank goodness I got way more Onion Motes than needed from the Enigma++ Dungeon: I wouldn't like to try my luck with that slog.

The Ultimate also drops them, though that's 60 EN an attempt.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

The Ultimate also drops them, though that's 60 EN an attempt.

I already learned about it firsthand.

And honestly, after 15 dropped Onion Motes, getting them stopped being a worry... :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AstraSage posted:

And honestly, after 15 dropped Onion Motes, getting them stopped being a worry... :v:

Man, share some. I've still got four more I need. :mad:

Does anyone know the projected rates on Ult/Mote drops? Is it worth my time to try to farm them that way?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Onion Knight is, as expected, amazing even without relics. I'd found the Ult and U+ battles not to be too difficult, but perhaps a bit tedious. I was initially concerned about the second fight while fighting the Great Tortoise, but as it turns out he's potentially the tankiest of the four (especially before I can get Dark Knight's Charge online*) and afterwards I tore through the rest of the crystal guardians. Doga and Unei were a bit trickier, but I eventually grabbed Exdeath again to eat magic and spit it right back out. At this point the only thing I regret about him is that he can't use mage hats (like my Red Hat :( ) to boost things like Meltdown.

*I'm really considering slotting him into the Necrophobe fight, as I still haven't finished that due to lack of proper damage.

In other news, I've put up the recurring event dungeons on my spreadsheet to allow for searching through them (or just looking for more crystals for Meltdown) and added elite difficulties to the roadmap.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I beat the poo poo out of a bunch of tonberries. Now it's time to wonder if I should rank 2 Northern Cross.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The Ult+ was really amusing for me. After 150 mythril on the OK1 banner, my FF3 team is just about as good as my A-Team was before it and the Black Friday draw. :v:

Luneth - Eternal Wind BSB
Arc - Renewing Rain and Word of Kindness SSB's
Refia - Blazing Fists SSB
Ingus - Gaia's Vengeance SSB
OK - Onion Slice SSB

Used every single one of those 1-2 times, and throw the OK Burst as my RW (and it's commands), and this was a slaughter. Took some Tsunamis, Quakes and Flares, and mostly just shrugged them off with the sheer amount of healing I had access to on Arc. Nothing in this fight even remotely had a chance. :black101:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

pichupal posted:

You could run Desch with Wrath + Ace Striker. It'd be pretty good on a mage team where your 5*/6* hones and Devotion are already taken by another mage. Give him a spell for that other slot, or run the bard versions of Proshellga, or even the weak Faithga bardsong if you're using Onion BSB as your hastega.

I have edea's faithga hastega, but that's another slot where devotion isn't used. Maybe in a multi mage party, but for cid missions it's devotion + weakness spell for sure. I'll have to give wrath a go on him, i forgot he was gven support 4*.

Also, I'm capable of cid missioning mote ifrit now thanks to a serah's bsb rw. I got him to like 1% before dying to some dumb mistakes. All I need is a run where he doesn't nuke me with aoe firaja before I can get my buffs up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"Oh I guess I can bring Onion Knight up from 96 to 98. I guess it might help a little."

>Attack goes from 183 to 229

Ahriman wasn't bad at all. I got worried because at the beginning of the fight despite my attacks doing at least 5k damage, it looked like its life bar was barely moving. That changed after I got off Faris' BSB and OK's SSB, but the real champion was Cloud with Climhazzard and Finishing Touch.

And so now all of OK's physical side is completely maxed out. I need more 3* motes before I can do his magic side.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Meanwhile, Ahriman CM. What the gently caress. :gonk:

(edit) Not visible: The pixel of health that Luneth still had left. Only reason I beat this fight was that the BSB never failed to connect Stun. And even then everyone else got gibbed.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 27, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

Meanwhile, Ahriman CM. What the gently caress. :gonk:

Definitely bring Desch for Blind/Poison Shell. Or he can bring Aerora Strike. And don't forget that Ingus can use Breakdowns.

But yeah, the AoE damage is pretty rough. This is one situation where I'm glad to have drawn Arc's Elder Staff (Shell AND Magic Blink, yay), instead of the White Mage's Robe. He's basically Ifrit but with a different weakness, multiple elemental AoEs and being able to use Blind/Poison against him.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Definitely bring Desch for Blind/Poison Shell. Or he can bring Aerora Strike. And don't forget that Ingus can use Breakdowns.

But yeah, the AoE damage is pretty rough. This is one situation where I'm glad to have drawn Arc's Elder Staff (Shell AND Magic Blink, yay), instead of the White Mage's Robe. He's basically Ifrit but with a different weakness, multiple elemental AoEs and being able to use Blind/Poison against him.

I didn't, mostly since I have him at level 1 still. Ran this instead:

Not the most well thought out party, since I got cocky after the Ult+. Figured I could easily bruteforce, but looking at the AI didn't really clue me in to how much AoE he really throws out. The winning run did involve Arc opening with Renewing Rains, though, just to get the major regen going. In the end that's what gave Luneth the health to survive the last few attacks, stun Ahriman repeatedly, and win the fight.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If my few sources of wind damage are 3-star wind jump/Climhazzard/Jin-Chi-Ten/R4 Aerora Strike/R1 Snowspell Strike/R1 Meltdown/R3 Gust, what should I try to eke out more against Ahriman? I tried facing him with what I thought was decent (Cloud/Gilgamesh/Gordon as primary attackers while Tyro held drawtaliate and Ovelia healed), but I couldn't really manage more than perhaps 2/3 before the hones and RW Shout would run dry.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
For Ahriman I skipped Wall and relied on breakdowns and Renewing Rains and damage raced him.

Luneth- Swordshower (Blood of the Wyvern/Sky High) - Air Raid
Onion Knight- Vessel of Fate (Full Break/Magic Breakdown) - Dr Mog's
Refia - N/A - Meteor Crush/ Sapphire Shot - World Traveller
Ingus - N/A - Saints Cross/ Venom Buster - Azure Blade
Arc - Renewing Rains - Curaga/ Diaga- Mako Might

RM- Eternal Wind

Had to start over a couple times to get Venom Buster to stick early but otherwise Luneth and Refia summoned Luneth's Burst and just ground him up. With Sky High and Swordshower Luneth at one point did 160,000 damage in three turns.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Desch carried me to victory with his machinist access. Pulling Refia's SSB with 100 gems helped too :v:

CM mastered Ahriman without the shiny new toys (150 mythril and 3k gems got me 4 of Arc's robes/staffs and fuckall else :argh:) thanks to magic blink spam, layering breakdowns and having the devil's own luck by dodging the meteor spam.

Had to RW shout, no wall was kind of scary but we got there. Desch was a hidden gem.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Zurai posted:

Angeal 1 is quite good. Cloud's OSB, Zack's and Yuffie's BSBs, Cid's Shout copy, a +wind hat with Attack on it, and Cloud's enWind. If you're already set for FF7 synergy and don't need a Shout-like, though, it's less attractive.

It's good in a vacuum yeah, but I can't see myself ever needing to pull on a dedicated VII banner again. Counting generics and the Christmas freebie, I have 15 native 5* relics for VII. I could use native Shout, but I'll probably try to get it from a festival banner or Tyro Select 3 (since I'll probably pull on that for the free enelement relic at least once) instead.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Holy crap the most clutch thing happened

I was attempting Nightmare demon wall and all of my characters were KO'ed except for Balthier.

I took out both arms and Demon wall started advancing with Nightmare concept. With no health left I pulled off the fire shot and it didn't kill.

I was about to die and Machinists Touch kicked in for the kill.

I only got expert though. :toot:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
lol I just spent hours grinding Onion Knight motes and 4* motes and giving him every 5* possible and forgot the new banner was out and did the dollar draw-

:stare:

Pretty sure this means I'm hosed for Orlandeau

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Koobes posted:

This is kind of the main advantage of Sabin's BSB. Being able to wear a 40% monk damage RM from making him level 99 lets lifebane be effectively a SSB level multiplier once you've built up his command 1 enough.

Tifa is never first choice for anything is she

I have to say though as straightforward as it is En-element BSB + an attack of that element is, it is actually pretty good. You don't need to worry about anything other than getting the burst that first time and then it pretty much keeps itself going with the SB boosting materia.

So with both Zidane and Tifa what I want to do is just lifesiphon until Burst is ready and keep bursting right? seems easy enough.

Also I mathed it out because this game is basically a spreadsheet lol and OSB over time just does more damage than BSB even if the BSB is boosting your element which kinda shocked me - basically at the end of the day you do want the BSBs that do something more than just damage because otherwise an OSB is a flat improvement.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

y'know, having a condition to not use black magic against the summoning nightmare boss, that's fair enough. but pulling medals because i used my 5* summoner's SB and it happened to be BLK, that's miserly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Guys. Guys.

Vaan BSB is really good.

loving finally. That one additional layer of stacking -Mag/-Def was exactly what I needed to kill the bastard.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Attestant posted:

Guys. Guys.

Vaan BSB is really good.

loving finally. That one additional layer of stacking -Mag/-Def was exactly what I needed to kill the bastard.

Yeah, I pulled it on an alt that I played for a while so I was thrilled when it came up this time on the BF draw. Really completes my physical team, and I doubt anything can even challenge me at this point until the JP Nightmare stuff maybe. That BSB really neuters everything.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i used Shatterheart. dude still hit like a truck.

damage was easy though just RWing Serah's burst. 4*7000 damage per attack is pretty good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Some nice easy Ults this time. Dragon was just there. Guardians were disappointing because I thought they'd be all at once and geared up accordingly. Only the water one gave me trouble because of Tsunami spam. Doga and Unei were almost completely trivialised by Grand Cross and apart from a couple of lackluster Meltdowns and dispels, that's all Exdeath needed to do. Wind resistance was nice as well.

Not tried the Mote Dungeon yet, so that's for later. Might give Ifrit a couple of goes this time too.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh man I just took Fang's BSB out for a spin for the first time on the Ult++ and with Tornado Strike and Sky High it was just :allears: Imperil-Element owns so hard you guys.

I have to say, I looked at the upcoming banners and I'm really surprised at the complete lack of buzz for the upcoming FF8 banner. I looked at what the items on it do and Zell's BSB in particular is NUTS. Instant cast, 10 x.74 hits with a chance to proc stun, sets the party's crit rate to 50%, has Dark Bargain on command 1 and Powerchain on command 2. The other items on it are solid, too; Laguna in particular gets a gun that puts a 50% attack boost on the party in addition to doing a ton of damage. Maybe it's just because I'm still thirsty for FF8 synergy but I'm going to give my second pull on FF3-1 a miss so I can give this a pull instead.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Bonus battles were easy with this new FF3 synergy, all clear first attempt with no S/L's. Ultimate+ was kinda fun! Ultimate++ got a little scary but wasn't too bad.

As for Ahriman... woof. Even with all that mitigation up (including Vaan BSB), that dude still hits HARD. Tyrone ended up dying before Eiko could get Prayer of the Lost off, but I didn't need another charge of SG and was able to blitz him down. Luneth with BSB active constantly interrupting his attacks with the 4-hit wind attack (with increased critical chance from Prayer of the Lost) put in work.

I'm sad there was no blank MC3 for this event though. I know we got the Onion Knight MC3 instead, but.... so many chars need breaking.....

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Oh man I just took Fang's BSB out for a spin for the first time on the Ult++ and with Tornado Strike and Sky High it was just :allears: Imperil-Element owns so hard you guys.

I have to say, I looked at the upcoming banners and I'm really surprised at the complete lack of buzz for the upcoming FF8 banner. I looked at what the items on it do and Zell's BSB in particular is NUTS. Instant cast, 10 x.74 hits with a chance to proc stun, sets the party's crit rate to 50%, has Dark Bargain on command 1 and Powerchain on command 2. The other items on it are solid, too; Laguna in particular gets a gun that puts a 50% attack boost on the party in addition to doing a ton of damage. Maybe it's just because I'm still thirsty for FF8 synergy but I'm going to give my second pull on FF3-1 a miss so I can give this a pull instead.

Zell's BSB is phenomenal, on a banner that's average, and we know what it's like chasing a dragon. Ice is a good element, but severely held back by support - Laguna is the only Imperil Ice and there's virtually no Ice equipment. Mind, it's not a bad banner, but after the buzz of OK and with some other strong banners coming up (Angeal 1, XIV 1), I could see why people are a bit lukewarm about it.

Laguna's new gun is alright, but it's on a character with almost no utility other than status effects and milquetoast damage until we get more MCH 5 options. If you really want the 50% Boostga + damage, there's Quina's Golden Hairpin.

I'm still pulling on it, but I'll admit to part of it being an FF8 bias, and I'm still partly swayed by Squall/Rinoa 2, which has some pretty good options there as well.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Took the risk and pulled a second time on OK 1. Got really lucky and got both OK and Luneth's BSB. Now to save up for TG Cid. And Minfilia and Alphinaud apparently, why are they so good?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zebia posted:

Took the risk and pulled a second time on OK 1. Got really lucky and got both OK and Luneth's BSB. Now to save up for TG Cid. And Minfilia and Alphinaud apparently, why are they so good?

According to someone up thread earlier, Alphinaud's SSB gives the same stat boosts as OK's gauntlet, but also applies an effect that reflects physical damage back at the attacker.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
So long mithril reserves. You were wasted in vain.

4x OK1 pulls. 3 Lust Daggers, 2 Arc Robes, 1 Arc Staff and an Ingus Shield.

Game is hard.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zebia posted:

Minfilia has a pretty power Holy BSB and a solid skillset, plus her SSB is a Shout-level physical buff with Guts attached (survive one fatal hit with 1 HP).

In Alphinaud's case you have Deployment Tactics as described above but also his BSB which has a Chaining command 1 like OK's BSB commands, and his second command restores ability uses. You can combine that with either his native 5* Summon access to get more out of low-hone powerful summons, or you can Dive him to Black 5 to do it with Meltdown.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Chair In A Basket posted:

So long mithril reserves. You were wasted in vain.

4x OK1 pulls. 3 Lust Daggers, 2 Arc Robes, 1 Arc Staff and an Ingus Shield.

Game is hard.

Yuck. I'm sorry, dude :glomp:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LornMarkus posted:

Minfilia has a pretty power Holy BSB and a solid skillset, plus her SSB is a Shout-level physical buff with Guts attached (survive one fatal hit with 1 HP).

In Alphinaud's case you have Deployment Tactics as described above but also his BSB which has a Chaining command 1 like OK's BSB commands, and his second command restores ability uses. You can combine that with either his native 5* Summon access to get more out of low-hone powerful summons, or you can Dive him to Black 5 to do it with Meltdown.

I thought characters could only get access to level 6 skills if they naturally had access to the level 5 skills without diving? Or is that just the Class Mote level 6 skills like Lifebane and Sky High?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'll be making at least one pull on FF8 because my soul breaks for that realm are poo poo and the FF8 cast perhaps more then any other rely on SBs to be useful. It's a bit better now that it's worthwhile to run mixed magic and physical teams but still.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought characters could only get access to level 6 skills if they naturally had access to the level 5 skills without diving? Or is that just the Class Mote level 6 skills like Lifebane and Sky High?

Opposite of the latter. Nightmare 6*s, like Meltdown and Crushdown, are available if you Dive a character to 5*. Mote skills, like Sky High, won't be available to the character at all.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:pseudo: Now I feel like an idiot for complaining before, because I decided today to RW Luneth's BSB with the above setup and ended up one-shotting Ahriman. As it turns out the only thing I'd really been missing (aside from a heavy source of wind damage like Eternal Wind or Jin-Chi-Ten with all the boosts*) was applying status effects. Both Balthier's innate machinist access and his BSB made those easy, which meant that I was never struggling to keep up with the damage like I was before.

*BSB buffs, Mug Bloodlust/Apocalypse Shield (initially I had to wait on the latter), EnWind, Air Knives wind boost, Roaring Winds.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Boy these mote dungeons sure are fun. I love being aoe spammed 3 times before I can even get my buffs up and my Esuna person gets stoned and 2 other people are dead in the first 15 seconds of the fight and this scenario happens frequently.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Opposite of the latter. Nightmare 6*s, like Meltdown and Crushdown, are available if you Dive a character to 5*. Mote skills, like Sky High, won't be available to the character at all.

Yup, in fact diving a character to 5* in the relevant ability even gives them Nightmare Synergy for the final fight. Exactly what happened with Alphinaud with mine, even if the actual MVP of my fight was Terra with her OSB and Y'shtola with Asylum to chain heal them through the last 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok here's my setup for Ahriman. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

• Locked thread