Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Glad you're having fun. Onager Dunecrawlers can be nasty. A rhino is a good idea, only 35pts for most troops. And then when it gets blown up, you put it on its side or back and it becomes battlefield cover. It sounds like you need more terrain though. The GW terrain isn't bad value and not too difficult to assemble (do it whilst watching telly or something), or Mdf terrain is often popular but typically doesn't have the grim dark aesthetic that the GW terrain does. Without a decent amount of terrain, non competitive army builds are going to have a bad time against a gunline.

Milotic fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Do you guys mind not posting poo poo loads of stuff about a brand new book without spoilers tia

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
1K Sons seem like a pretty great choice for Kill Team. At least in my meta, AP3 is king and having a decent invulnerable save will be handy.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Which is a nice segue into 6 days to Goonpocalypse III

I hope everyone is still up for coming, hanging out, talking poo poo and playing. It will be a busy weekend for WHW because GW rudely organised a tournament to coincide with it.

More Relaxed format for those who can't face another big game. The default is Kill team played with the fan built Heralds of Ruin rule set which is available free from their website. You construct a list from their own army specific lists rather than the codices. That means you would only need 10-20 models.

There has been a proposal for 2v2 750pt each zone mortalis as we have booked the table. Lord Twisted, Scowny and myself are interested but again we have the table for the whole day so if more than four are interested everyone will get a chance.

We have one big table and two standard size. It is likely we will be cramming three HoR games onto the big city fight board. There is no compulsion to stick to the plan. I am happy that as long as everyone has a chance to be involved and have fun we can make it up as we go along.

I think we are aiming for the sweet spot of being friendly and competitive. For those who have not come before whatever you are imagining, it is probably going to be more relaxed. Painted models for preference but no one is going to be a dick, the rule of cool stands at all time in both your list and tactical decisions. WYSiWyG is preferable again for ease.

The list of guys who were keen is somewhere in my post history, anyone else who want to come please feel that you can. Galaspar, you came a few years back to Goonpocalypse I and I see you on the painting threads a lot, so did your girlfriend who's username I have forgotten (I would recognise her SoH command squad if I saw it though). Krushgroove where are you? Come and hang if you can. Raphus C, you would be very welcome although I know you have just moved further away from Nottingham.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

I hope everyone is still up for coming, hanging out, talking poo poo and playing. It will be a busy weekend for WHW because GW rudely organised a tournament to coincide with it.

More Relaxed format for those who can't face another big game. The default is Kill team played with the fan built Heralds of Ruin rule set which is available free from their website. You construct a list from their own army specific lists rather than the codices. That means you would only need 10-20 models.

There has been a proposal for 2v2 750pt each zone mortalis as we have booked the table. Lord Twisted, Scowny and myself are interested but again we have the table for the whole day so if more than four are interested everyone will get a chance.

We have one big table and two standard size. It is likely we will be cramming three HoR games onto the big city fight board. There is no compulsion to stick to the plan. I am happy that as long as everyone has a chance to be involved and have fun we can make it up as we go along.

I think we are aiming for the sweet spot of being friendly and competitive. For those who have not come before whatever you are imagining, it is probably going to be more relaxed. Painted models for preference but no one is going to be a dick, the rule of cool stands at all time in both your list and tactical decisions. WYSiWyG is preferable again for ease.

The list of guys who were keen is somewhere in my post history, anyone else who want to come please feel that you can. Galaspar, you came a few years back to Goonpocalypse I and I see you on the painting threads a lot, so did your girlfriend who's username I have forgotten (I would recognise her SoH command squad if I saw it though). Krushgroove where are you? Come and hang if you can. Raphus C, you would be very welcome although I know you have just moved further away from Nottingham.

I assume we're just bringing fixed 250 pt lists for HoR rather than doing a campaign, makes it logistically easiest

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

I assume we're just bringing fixed 250 pt lists for HoR rather than doing a campaign, makes it logistically easiest

Definitely

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

On the 40k books front, Master of Mankind is out in ebook. And Jesus Christ on a pogo stick the Emperor is a dick. He sees the primarchs as tools, weapons bred and created for a singular purpose and nothing more. When a magos of the AdMech asks why the Big E lets the primarchs call him father, Big E tells the story of Pinnochio.

That's because they are tools. He thinks of them as a Space Marine thinks of a bolter. He created them specifically to lead his armies while he couldn't. I thought the part with Ra and the Emperor explaining this was the best part of the book. It explains his entire outlook, and why the Primarchs that fell felt so betrayed by him. Arkhan Land and the experience with Angron on the table was my 2nd favourite part. The Emperor finding out that removing the butchers nails would literally kill Angron if he removed them, and yet by not doing it he would be left in agonising pain outside of his murder fun time sessions. And to Arkhans horror he just seals him back up and ships him back to the World Eaters because gently caress it, he's still going to fight battles for him. A further scene with him explaining just why he never saw Horus treachery coming was finally the answer people have been begging for decades for too.

The Emperors sole purpose was to remove Humanity from the influence of chaos, and at the end of this book he knows he has failed. And the outright statement that its inevitable the Imperium will fall, and mankind will end, just a matter of when.

However I did find the constant repetition that religion is the root of all evil entering humanities heart was a bit on the nose.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Is there anywhere you can get 40mm and a single 60mm Sector Imperialis base from as bitz at a reasonable price? Ebay either doesn't have it or takes the piss and bitz box is out.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

Is there anywhere you can get 40mm and a single 60mm Sector Imperialis base from as bitz at a reasonable price? Ebay either doesn't have it or takes the piss and bitz box is out.

I have some 40mm I am not using, how many do you need? I am also considering going into a small scale business of buying the fuckers and selling 'em as I have been looking for weeks to get a 75mm bike base and I assume there must be some other people who just need a couple rather than a whole box.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ineptmule posted:

I have some 40mm I am not using, how many do you need? I am also considering going into a small scale business of buying the fuckers and selling 'em as I have been looking for weeks to get a 75mm bike base and I assume there must be some other people who just need a couple rather than a whole box.

Probably six. And one 60mm from somewhere.

I've considering coming to Goon Con. My lady friend's question to me of 'It's really cold, where is hot this time of year?' led to my rather non-smooth but factually correct answer of 'Places in the Southern hemisphere, like Australia.' instead of 'My bed, baby :smug:' means she told me yesterday she's off to Australia for two weeks and I will unexpectedly be free.

I was thinking of this list for 750 point ZM:

Tac squad x 10 - serg LC, melta gun, missile launcher +CCW
Tac squad x 10 - serg LC, melta gun, heavy boltr +CCW
Terminator Assault Squad - LCs
Dreadnought assault cannon
Librarian - terminator armour

Chapter tactics: Carcharadons.

Alternately I could replace the Librarian and Dread with Tyberos the Red Wake.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I can't make it to the Goon Meet this weekend :( Happy to send you a few 40mm in the post and reserve a 60mm from my first batch of eBay fodder. PM me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
More rules leaks:

TOC:

Weapons:

A refresher on Warpflame rules:

Soulreaper Cannons own but I can't realistically imagine ever running warpflamers with Thousand Sons, excepting maaaaaybe the Heavy Warpflamer but even then I'm on the fence about how useful it would be, especially compared to a Soulreaper Cannon.

The Army special rules:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 28, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah warpflamers are wonky as hell. Its kinda Tzeentch I guess (all according to plans!) but being a toughness test means you're gonna end up giving FNP to things you don't want to have FNP... no thanks?

But AP3 bolters are solid anyways so who cares, those plus the AP3 Heavy 4 Rending minigun means you don't need no stinkin' warpflamers.

What's the point of the "Psykers in a thousand sons detachment may generate all their powers from Tzeentch" ? They have to take marks of tzeentch by an earlier rule, which means they can all generate tzeentch powers. I don't see why they have to also state that. And why does it say "all" instead of "any" ? IDK just seems odd phrasing.

Blessing of Tzeentch seems like it could be really good. Get a big squad of Rubrics, they all come with aura of dark glory and mark of tzeentch, give them a buff, push that up to 3++.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 28, 2016

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Zaphod42 posted:

What's the point of the "Psykers in a thousand sons detachment may generate all their powers from Tzeentch" ? They have to take marks of tzeentch by an earlier rule, which means they can all generate tzeentch powers. I don't see why they have to also state that. And why does it say "all" instead of "any" ? IDK just seems odd phrasing.

Normal chaos marines can't generate all their powers from a god's psychic discipline, only half. They've got to take another discipline alongside that if their ML is high enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ro5s posted:

Normal chaos marines can't generate all their powers from a god's psychic discipline, only half. They've got to take another discipline alongside that if their ML is high enough.

Oh wow, somehow I'd never heard/read that rule. I only knew that if you had a mark you had to take 1 from that god's domain. :shobon:

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Yo, quick questions: My local meta is starting to explore other games since Warmachine Mk3 kinda shat the bed, and among other things that means searching closets for dust-covered 40k minis. Upon conclusion of my search, turns out I have small forces of Imperial Guard, Black Templar, Tau, and Orks hiding in the back of my closet. For IG, I have about 40-50 assorted troopers, various Commisars/support pieces, a Basilisk, a couple different Leman Russ's, a Chimera, and a pair of Sentinels. Orks I have about 50 Boyz with various Shootas/Stubbas, a squad of Nobz, three Deffkoptas, a Warboss and a Wyrdboy. Black Templars, a pair of Bikes, a couple Tac Squads with Neophytes, an Assault Squad, an Emperor's Champion, a Terminator Squad, a Rhino, and a Dreadnought. For the Tau, it looks like just a single squad of Fire Warriors with some Kroot and Drone backup, a Hammerhead tank, some stealth suits, a unit of Battlesuits, and the Etherial with the spear (Aunshui?).

I guess I don't even know where to start with 40k these days. How do these guys look in the new edition? Do they have updated codexes? Are there still codexes? Of the lists listed, which look the most like a complete army that's table-ready? My local guys are going to start doing some for-fun small scale skirmishes, so I don't need a full Tournament list or anything (I don't even know what Tournaments look like these days), I guess I'm just looking for some nudging to which of these forces will be the best for a small group for a few months of playtime with little to no additional model purchases. Thank you!!!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Honestly, any of those should be fine for some small, non competitive games.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Normal 40k is kinda iffy at the moment. If everyone is going in with the goal of having fun instead of just winning you'll be fine.

HoR Killteam is a solid ruleset to use those minis you've found and each faction is more well-rounded. Also has the benefit of being skirmish scale.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Both Heralds of Ruin and the current iteration of GW's Kill Team rules are great, but HoR has a lot more depth, especially considering the campaign system.

Alternatively, there's Tactical Strike, which is awesome, but is buried in one of Forgeworld's Horus Heresy books (I forget which one).

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FYI I'm still looking for Rogue Trader era Imperial Space Marine arms for my sadly armless metal Marines.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Does Magnus have VotLW?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Does Magnus have VotLW?

Yup.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Thankfully the stars aligned and I got one of the copies of the limited edition Wrath of Magnus, but I missed out on the dice.

What do they do, make three sets and call it a day?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Seems like it. Every one of the local stores is only getting a single set for release day.

Guarenteed it'll end up in the grubby hands of our local That Guy, who'll end up returning them a month later.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

susan posted:

Yo, quick questions: My local meta is starting to explore other games since Warmachine Mk3 kinda shat the bed, and among other things that means searching closets for dust-covered 40k minis. Upon conclusion of my search, turns out I have small forces of Imperial Guard, Black Templar, Tau, and Orks hiding in the back of my closet. For IG, I have about 40-50 assorted troopers, various Commisars/support pieces, a Basilisk, a couple different Leman Russ's, a Chimera, and a pair of Sentinels. Orks I have about 50 Boyz with various Shootas/Stubbas, a squad of Nobz, three Deffkoptas, a Warboss and a Wyrdboy. Black Templars, a pair of Bikes, a couple Tac Squads with Neophytes, an Assault Squad, an Emperor's Champion, a Terminator Squad, a Rhino, and a Dreadnought. For the Tau, it looks like just a single squad of Fire Warriors with some Kroot and Drone backup, a Hammerhead tank, some stealth suits, a unit of Battlesuits, and the Etherial with the spear (Aunshui?).

I guess I don't even know where to start with 40k these days. How do these guys look in the new edition? Do they have updated codexes? Are there still codexes? Of the lists listed, which look the most like a complete army that's table-ready? My local guys are going to start doing some for-fun small scale skirmishes, so I don't need a full Tournament list or anything (I don't even know what Tournaments look like these days), I guess I'm just looking for some nudging to which of these forces will be the best for a small group for a few months of playtime with little to no additional model purchases. Thank you!!!

Of your forces the Tau are the strongest in the game right now, however the models you have would aren't the top tier Tau units. I would say your IG are the closest to being able to play normal 40k and they are a mid tier army. Space Marines are always good but the dreadnought, terminators, and assualt squad are not great these days. Orks are the worst army in the game, but if you are just playing with your buddies you will be able to win a few.

Yes there are still codexes and I think they all have been updated for this edition, maybe not orks. You will be able to get 90% of the rules from your codex from battle scribe if you want to try it out.

Like most have mentioned there are competing versions of Kill Team rules, I don't know if HoR is so much better that it's worth trying to change if your shop is playing official, I am sure others can speak to that.

A bigger change to 40k since you last played is formations. They are a certain combination of units that gain bonuses for being taken together. Some of them are very strong and if your group is very cut throat you will likely need to build towards some if you want to compete. It sucks and most people hate formations. But if your group isn't super rough you can get away with a standard force. I play a formation-less Tyranids (2nd worse army) and do fine in my local store.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Has anyone run into a decent Tyranid fandex? I haven't heard from AbusePuppy but as I recall, he had a pretty good one.

A PDF would be best; I'm just curious at this point.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6qGamu24Y

In where things get vaguely homoerotic.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

smith machine, bad video

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JackMack posted:

I'm sorry mate, but I've got to pull out of this - exceptionally busy at work. Hope you all have a good time, the tables at WHW alone are worth the trip.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Endman posted:

Both Heralds of Ruin and the current iteration of GW's Kill Team rules are great, but HoR has a lot more depth, especially considering the campaign system.

Alternatively, there's Tactical Strike, which is awesome, but is buried in one of Forgeworld's Horus Heresy books (I forget which one).

I condensed the rules for Tactical Strike, formatted them better, and tweaked them to play better. It's free and you can get your rules right here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Mango Polo posted:

smith machine, bad video

and terrible quarter squats

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks guys :) ! It is so weird coming back after a decade; how the crap are Dreadnoughts, Terminators, and Assault Troops bad? And yeah, if my group is leaning fun, Orks may be the way to go.

Stupid follow up question: Are there any online army builders or anything like that so I can see how many points of stuff I actually have? Is that what Battle Scribe is?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

susan posted:

Thanks guys :) ! It is so weird coming back after a decade; how the crap are Dreadnoughts, Terminators, and Assault Troops bad? And yeah, if my group is leaning fun, Orks may be the way to go.

Stupid follow up question: Are there any online army builders or anything like that so I can see how many points of stuff I actually have? Is that what Battle Scribe is?

Bare in mind, they're talking at competitive Tournament level play. Play whatever takes your fancy, Orks are underpowered right now but they still get a lot of fun options and sweet models.

Battlescribe's probably your best bet for an army builder right now, but give it a month. They just updated the base softwhere and everything's a bit of a mess atm.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

susan posted:

I need to preface and say I'm the guy who plays 40k for blood here, so read all my words through that lens.

All three of those things have been bad since at least 5th edition (except rifledreads owned for a while there, and MSU BA assault marines in razorbacks was a thing, mainly to get more razorbacks).

Orks are not good in any sort of competitive environment outside of very specific builds that rarely see a top 10 placing, and every single one uses the Forgeworld cheap stompa.

Formations have fixed some of those problems now though:

Dreads aren't super bad now that they have 4 swings base with the FAQ and a free pod in a battle company OR the forgeworld pod where they can stay inside it for a turn. Assault marines are useful in the Skyhammer formation (turn one deep striking assaults) to tie up big stuff or beat up on weak units and assault termies now have a formation that lets them assault the turn they come down so they don't just get shot to pieces/ran away from.

And yes, battlescribe owns. It's one of the few apps I actually pay for on my phone.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

susan posted:

Battle Scribe is an army builder. You can get it on your computer or phone.

Dreadnoughts, Terminators, and assualt marines aren't all bad and can easily be used in friendly games and not feel worthless. I love Dreadnoughts and run one in my DA army all time and often run terminators and assualt marines. In general they suffer from costing more points then they are worth. Assualt Marines are also pretty lack luster in close combat which is disappointing.

Also Close Combat is likely a lot worse since you played last.

Welcome back!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Assault Marines are at least cheap enough points-wise that you can swing them and do okay, and they'll probably do alright in Kill Team. Bikes do their job better. Terminators also got a points drop that was much-needed, I still take them a lot but they tend to die pretty fast for guys with a 2+ save. Problem is even if they get shot by some grots, you'll roll 1s eventually. Dreadnoughts are slow melee units that are pretty easy to draw a bead on, but they can hit pretty hard in close combat.

I use all these units on the regular, I'd say so long as I don't overextend with my Assault Marines they can do pretty well. Terminators usually get mulched pretty badly since I always want to throw them at something tough, but most things that I'd want to hit with powerfists will get to swing first and kill them. Dreadnoughts can be fun though. I'm not a competitive player, so take that for what it is.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
All those units are fine in non-competition play, sadly other units do their job better. A dreadnaught id argue is still more of a point efficient unit than Terminators. One of your few sources of strength 10 melee at initiative, often forces your opponent to deal with it.

Assault Marines? Treat them like tacticals with pistols 99% of the time to get 2 flamers, either put them in a Rhino, or Pod.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SteelMentor posted:

They really are just taking the piss now, aren't they?

Then again, the Magnus design video is pretty interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8RUhpP0Hk
Of particular note, the kit comes with three different faces, one of is a nod to the old epic model with a large centered eye.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Small, kinda vague preview of the Traitor Legion Supplement:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/28/the-eye-opens-and-the-legions-return/

tl;dr:
-Chapter Tactics-esque rules for each Legion.
-Relics and Wargear for each Legion
-Formations and Detachments for each Legion
-Bonuses for playing fluffy units.

No price yet, but it's near enough the same size as Angels of Death so expect around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Ineptmule and Genghis Cohen, sad to hear you guys can't come, real life is a shitter. Just spend your Saturday's thinking "I could be listening to JackMack's extensive and passionate opinion about Neagan off of Walking Dead" and try not to get too suicidal I suppose..

• Locked thread