Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/802013954838962176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

That's 12:01am EST; be sure to account for your own local time zone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hey friends. Star Wars happens in 20 days and 13 hours.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sadly the tickets go on sale here (Aus) at 8am, I wish it were midnight.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Have another song made from dubbing ESB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A new photo of the late Senator Bail Organa:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Gonz posted:

drat. He aged way better than Obi-wan

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Comes from not living in a planet sized blast furnace.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

UmOk posted:

Space botox?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ShineDog posted:

Space botox?

Dude's about to get some laser surgery.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

Dude's about to get some laser surgery.

:pusheen:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Once the black and white music video started, I stopped watching - but the rest was gold.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If you skipped it at least watch this part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmyuweolqY&t=1110s

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNvdoRnNv8

Some more footage in this one of Donnie Yen going to town on stormtroopers. Can't wait

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNvdoRnNv8

Some more footage in this one of Donnie Yen going to town on stormtroopers. Can't wait

Fun but goddammit, they spoiled the resolution to the, "What happens when you shoot a walker with a rocket launcher," question.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Fun but goddammit, they spoiled the resolution to the, "What happens when you shoot a walker with a rocket launcher," question.

Wish they had saved that for me to see it in the theater, but god dammit if I didn't legit let out a cheer in my own drat home when I saw that.
I think I'm starting to get hyped guys :ohdear:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Gonz posted:

Half man, half politician!

I didn't know Smits was going to be in this, though it makes sense. It's an ROTS reunion!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Midichlorians: Not Even Once

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Auralnauts feels like it's running out of steam there, only got a couple sensible chuckles out of me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the starfighter combat scenes are looking fun:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope we get some good Y-Wing scenes, wishbones need love too. Oh and A-Wings so people stop bitching about them being in Rebels.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope we get some spinning lightsaber helicopter dudes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i hope we get Darth Vader uttering 1 liners and killing scores of rebels

like the totally canon and equivalent-to-film quality comic books

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope we get Darth Vaders brother named Ferocious Percecute. It's totally not pronounced how it's spelled.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crusader posted:

the starfighter combat scenes are looking fun:

He's enjoying these star wars too much.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Murgos posted:

LOL that the prequels were unsafe. The only thing unsafe about them was Lucas directing after a 20 year absence and a openly stated loathing of directing.

It seems a lot of people around Lucas thought the prequels were unsafe precisely because of their subject matter:

George Lucas posted:

When I said I'm going to go back and do this back story, even though it's not a real story, it's basically a character piece with a lot of exposition, which is what back story is. I mean you just break down the characters, you say who they are, where they came from, you have to get to the point where we're starting the movie, which is different than a plot. A plot actually is constructed. I said, "Well, I'll do this. I will dare to do a character piece without much plot because I think it will be interesting to see if I can turn the other films on their head." When I started out I said, "Well, I am going to do more I." Everyone said, "Oh, this is great. This is going to be fantastic!" And they said-- "because we're going to have Darth Vader running around the universe killing everybody."

I said, "No, that's not what the back story is about. It's about a little kid, the first movie is going to be about a 10 year old kid." And they said, "We can't do that. It's going to destroy the franchise. We'll lose everything. It's a Disney movie. Nobody will go for it. The fans will hate it."
And I said, "Well, no I'm going to tell my story." I'm sure if I were not financing the movies and the studio was, they never would have let me do it. They would have said no.

[Excerpt from The Greatest Story Ever Told: An Interview With George Lucas
By: R. Burke
- Empire Magazine 07/99]

And it's especially telling that the first Star Wars movie to come out of Disney was accompanied by fan-pleasing assurances straight from the top that at no point would a 10-year-old child appear in the film as a central character, while the second movie to come out is apparently going to feature a heaping dose of Darth Vader in full bloom running around the universe killing everybody. Basically both of them the epitome of the obvious, safe choices which Lucas consciously spurned because he didn't find those things interesting on an actual story level.

(Of course the part about the naysayers freaking out about Episode I being a "Disney movie" is very ironic.)

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 27, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol even the people around lucas though the prequels are bad yet here we are

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Having a 10 year old kid in your movie is as sure a bet as you can get that at least some of the scenes will be garbage. It was his choice to make, I just think it was the wrong one. Young Anakin is the worst character in the series and the series has Jar-Jar Binks and a walking fridge.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

lol even the people around lucas though the prequels are bad yet here we are

Yes, it turns out Lucas wasn't just surrounded by yes men, and the reason the prequels are the way they are is actually because he had the sort of creative integrity more often than not sorely lacking in the Hollywood studio system.

Friendly Factory posted:

Having a 10 year old kid in your movie is as sure a bet as you can get that at least some of the scenes will be garbage. It was his choice to make, I just think it was the wrong one. Young Anakin is the worst character in the series and the series has Jar-Jar Binks and a walking fridge.

Fair enough. I'd personally rather have more weird failures than boring by-the-numbers Marvel-type movies, though. Note that while I acknowledge that the prequels were weird, I don't think they're failures. And as fun as we can all agree seeing Darth Vader running around tearing poo poo up would be, it doesn't make for much of a story. Especially since the prequels were supposed to be telling the story of a human man who becomes a sad and pathetic machine, not an anti-hero whom audiences are standing up in their seats cheering for and vicariously living out their power fantasies through.

If it works in Rogue One, it'll be because Rogue One is a side story within which Darth Vader is himself a side character. That's the reason I'm looking forward to these anthology movies more than any of the episodic films. The filmmakers have a bit more leeway to creatively misunderstand the story of the originals.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
I guess I'd rather be entertained by a Marvel-type movie than be frustrated and bored by whatever the hell the prequels were trying to accomplish.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stacks posted:

I guess I'd rather be entertained by a Marvel-type movie than be frustrated and bored by whatever the hell the prequels were trying to accomplish.

If you are able to resolve your confusion about "whatever the hell" the prequels were trying to accomplish, you will no longer be frustrated and bored by them.

It worked for me.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

If you are able to resolve your confusion about "whatever the hell" the prequels were trying to accomplish, you will no longer be frustrated and bored by them.

It worked for me.

I've read the dissertations in this thread irt the prequels. I still find them poorly cast, acted and directed. YMMV.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rogue One tickets go on sale in just a shade over 4 hours

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
To be fair, the connotation "a Disney Movie" meant something entirely different before movie franchises like Pirates of the Caribbean came out.

Still to this day "a Disney Movie" is still meant to be a term describing a G-rated a kids cartoon movie. The fact that Disney now routinely makes films with some mild adult language and sometimes serious violence or imagery is nuts to anyone even 15 years ago (when TPM was being written).

Doesn't detract from that statement being funny these days though :v:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Stacks posted:

I've read the dissertations in this thread irt the prequels. I still find them poorly cast, acted and directed. YMMV.

there's plenty of pew pew enjoyment to be made in scenes like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9-K1cxj6IQ

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I've never really understood the hatred for the Marvel movies, either. They're standard action movies. They're not trying to be high art, they're just trying to show some explosions and poo poo. If you need movies to be something more that's fine, but it's not really the fault of any individual movie that they are that way. I also feel like the tone of the Marvel movies vary a lot more than people credit them, especially with cinematography. And that's not even mentioning the TV series', which all have wildly different tones and are still Marvel properties. If you want some fun action movies, Marvel ones are a decent bet.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Regal is offering a special pass you pay 100 dollars for and you can see Rogue One every day its in theater in any format thats available.

I'm gonna get it and see the movie 1 million times because I will have nothing better to do for a month when my family goes to visit our in laws in Japan while i stay behind and work. WILL I SURVIVE?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jerkface posted:

Regal is offering a special pass you pay 100 dollars for and you can see Rogue One every day its in theater in any format thats available.

Jesus Christ.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Olive Garden unlimited pasta pass was the worst way to spend $100, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the Olive Garden unlimited pasta pass was the worst way to spend $100, but here we are.

God drat theres an Olive Garden 1 minute away from my regal, imagine getting all the pasta I could want and then all the death stars i could want!!!

• Locked thread