Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I fully expect official FLC/DLC with an LL for the northern dwarfs at some point. Small and easy change that provides a completely different GC experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
One really interesting thing is that orion and durthu are different factions, and you cant Confederate until you get the Oak to level 3. So you can't just conquer athel loren unless you're okay with missing out on the other legendary lord.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if AI wood elves can complete victory conditions. It would be interesting if suddenly you have to crush the gently caress out of some elves because they got too big.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kaza42 posted:

One really interesting thing is that orion and durthu are different factions, and you cant Confederate until you get the Oak to level 3. So you can't just conquer athel loren unless you're okay with missing out on the other legendary lord.

Have they said if amber works army by army or dependent on your LL? So if you pick Orion then confederate Durthu can Big D still recruit treekin and stuff without an amber cost, or is the cost tied to your original choice?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Corrode posted:

Have they said if amber works army by army or dependent on your LL? So if you pick Orion then confederate Durthu can Big D still recruit treekin and stuff without an amber cost, or is the cost tied to your original choice?

I'm pretty sure it's LL dependent.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I predict i'll try to have a bunch of allies as the wood elves, so what is the rule for when allies attack each other again? I know that if i decline to join the attacker i get a relation hit, our treaties break and my reputation suffers. What happens if i join the attacker, and what happens if i join the defender? I hope that helping the defender won't get me a rep hit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Double Bill posted:

I fully expect official FLC/DLC with an LL for the northern dwarfs at some point. Small and easy change that provides a completely different GC experience.

The problem with snow dwarves is that there's really nothing nearby unless you let them take and hold barbarian settlements.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Party In My Diapee posted:

I predict i'll try to have a bunch of allies as the wood elves, so what is the rule for when allies attack each other again? I know that if i decline to join the attacker i get a relation hit, our treaties break and my reputation suffers. What happens if i join the attacker, and what happens if i join the defender? I hope that helping the defender won't get me a rep hit.

My rule of thumb is to just not to go beyond non-aggression pacts if you don't plan on confederating them, which you're probably not going to do much of as Elves. You don't have to worry about violating treaties that you never made in the first place!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

FutonForensic posted:

My rule of thumb is to just not to go beyond non-aggression pacts if you don't plan on confederating them, which you're probably not going to do much of as Elves. You don't have to worry about violating treaties that you never made in the first place!

The problem with Wood Elves is you need to be allies before you get their Amber. I think that means Military Allies, but I suppose Defensive Allies could work too

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm just glad there's an option that doesn't involve murdering the whole of the Empire, Bretonnia, and the Dwarfs to win. Then again I think the Wood Elves wood be cool with that.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

OK so if you play MP watch out for this annoying cheese. Mannfred and a Vampire on hellsteeds (the fast pegasi?) with Spirit Leech, a Mortis Engine and a Claw of Nagash, two Blood Knights, and a lot of zombies. This guy (he's ranked 40 or so in the ladder, his name is an eight digit number, 2272something) will murder your generals and all with Spirit Leech and kite you out with the engines to drain all of your life via passive corruption. About as much fun to fight against as an army of skirmishers except this is worse because skirmishers at least have a limit to the amount of missiles they have. The engines' corrupting reliquary doesn't.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

DeathSandwich posted:

The problem with snow dwarves is that there's really nothing nearby unless you let them take and hold barbarian settlements.

Yeah but I have to assume they'd let them take Norscan holdings, even if it's limited like Wood Elves options for building when they conquer.

Olive Branch posted:

OK so if you play MP watch out for this annoying cheese. Mannfred and a Vampire on hellsteeds (the fast pegasi?) with Spirit Leech, a Mortis Engine and a Claw of Nagash, two Blood Knights, and a lot of zombies. This guy (he's ranked 40 or so in the ladder, his name is an eight digit number, 2272something) will murder your generals and all with Spirit Leech and kite you out with the engines to drain all of your life via passive corruption. About as much fun to fight against as an army of skirmishers except this is worse because skirmishers at least have a limit to the amount of missiles they have. The engines' corrupting reliquary doesn't.

They're really capturing the feel of the tabletop well!

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

Hypothetically any airforce will crush this army comp. I know next to nothing about multiplayer but it really doesn't seem like Mannfred and 1 vampire can hold up against say multiple paladins and Louen.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I'm just glad there's an option that doesn't involve murdering the whole of the Empire, Bretonnia, and the Dwarfs to win. Then again I think the Wood Elves wood be cool with that.

I'm fairly sure that whatever their victory condition implies, it's going to mean "not good things" for Empire, Bretonnia and the Dwarfs. Actually, i expect it'll mean "not good things" for anyone who doesn't spend their time living in those freaky woods.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fnordcircle posted:

Yeah but I have to assume they'd let them take Norscan holdings, even if it's limited like Wood Elves options for building when they conquer.

Now that I think about it, isn't there a norse dwarf unit list from an old supplemental in tabletop? I though at one point I remember there being a unit list that gives up the dwarven high tech/black powder units in order to gain marauders and horsemen ancillaries. The more I think about it though, the more I think it sounds like the worse parts of both dwarf (nothing but t1-2 infantry and grudgethrowers because growth sucks) and chaos (horseman spam)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There's a mod adding them as a faction too. Kraka Drak is the city name I think.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Fangz posted:

I wonder if AI wood elves can complete victory conditions. It would be interesting if suddenly you have to crush the gently caress out of some elves because they got too big.

the only reason they got too big is if you're having to go into the badlands for amber

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

fnordcircle posted:

I knew a guy who played basically that comp in 8th edition - I think it was lord, shitloads of zombies, two mortis engines, two terrorgheists or something like that. Unsurprisingly, people loving hated playing him.

His other army was Skaven with shitloads of skavenslaves and a couple of hellpits.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Mordja posted:

Like I said earlier, I'm a fan of Turin. No gimmicks, no ego, he just puts out a match a day, sometimes two, and as far as I can tell he's a pretty good player.

Seconding Turin as very enjoyable source of multiplayer replays on youtube. The rest vary from annoying to OK.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
side note, what are the pistoliers useful for? that tiny ranged damage per shot makes it seem like they're useless versus anyone better armoured than a zombie or savage orc

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Hypothetically any airforce will crush this army comp. I know next to nothing about multiplayer but it really doesn't seem like Mannfred and 1 vampire can hold up against say multiple paladins and Louen.
I was mostly grounded Chaos. I guess against anyone playing as the VC now now, I'll be taking two air generals. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

pnutz posted:

side note, what are the pistoliers useful for? that tiny ranged damage per shot makes it seem like they're useless versus anyone better armoured than a zombie or savage orc

Generally speaking they are pretty limited. Good for chasing down routing enemies, rear charging/shooting (note that being shot at confers a significant leadership malus) if you can't field better cavalry yet, alright for tying up enemy archers or artillery in melee combat. I sometimes add one or two units to my early armies and they tend to do okay.

With this DLC, I suspect they will be pretty important vs wood elves.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

pnutz posted:

Pistoliers can shoot on the move so they skirmish better than Outriders. They're don't actually damage anything with armor though, so they're pretty niche to the point where it's rarely worth bringing them along.

Outriders on the other hand are under utilized and almost better Handgunners in a lot of ways.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

Generally speaking they are pretty limited. Good for chasing down routing enemies, rear charging/shooting (note that being shot at confers a significant leadership malus) if you can't field better cavalry yet, alright for tying up enemy archers or artillery in melee combat. I sometimes add one or two units to my early armies and they tend to do okay.

With this DLC, I suspect they will be pretty important vs wood elves.

Glade Riders should deep dick pistoleers unless you Glade Riders turn out to be trash. Any longbow equipped Wood Elf unit, really, but Glade Riders especially.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Outriders can shoot while they move, but they can't shoot behind themselves while moving. So they can't continuously run away while firing like pisotliers or most mounted skirmishers.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I dont know posted:

Outriders can shoot while they move, but they can't shoot behind themselves while moving. So they can't continuously run away while firing like pisotliers or most mounted skirmishers.

I can't wait to for Glade Riders :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Glade Riders should deep dick pistoleers unless you Glade Riders turn out to be trash. Any longbow equipped Wood Elf unit, really, but Glade Riders especially.

We saw Glade Rider stats in that last preview video, IIRC they have low HP but 140 range, same missile damage as crossbows, magic and poison attacks, and decent-ish melee stats for light cav. They will absolutely wreck Pistoliers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i already think the TW AI is better than me at handling ranged units as is, I think wood elf AI armies are going to be pretty capable of wrecking me.

im getting bad flashbacks of attempting to send cavalry in Rome 2 to disrupt AI ranged units, only to get them all mowed down by a horde of angry slingers, as my own archers fire an arrow every minute and/or walk into enemy units while trying to shoot at whatever i told them to. micro is hard.

warhammer hasnt been as bad in that regard but i think that honeymoon is ending

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

madmac posted:

Pistoliers can shoot on the move so they skirmish better than Outriders. They're don't actually damage anything with armor though, so they're pretty niche to the point where it's rarely worth bringing them along.

Outriders on the other hand are under utilized and almost better Handgunners in a lot of ways.

I know about outriders, I used them a heap later on in my empire game.

It seems the pistoliers could do with an extra 1-2 ap damage, to improve the damage they do while shooting people in the back (I played a round or 2 of skirmish after asking and my pistoliers made about their own number in kills so they're not completely useless). The niche needs to be opened up though, even spearmen are useful in later empire armies as tarpits with an expendability riving that of skaven useful dudes for holding the line, while those guys sit around waiting for some brayherds to spawn in so they can plink at them

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I find light cav so useful in TW games that I'm rather torn. Sure I'd like them to do more damage, but their main ability is always going to be harassment, chasing routed units so they stay dead, and clearing out retreating units so you don't have to fight them next turn. They're already so good at the last parts that they could make them do even less damage in combat and I'd still use the hell out of them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

I don't mean glade riders and I don't mean a shooting duel. I mean that if you are being jumped by hordes of archers that can shoot you on the move and can probably outshoot crossbowmen, you *will* want an easily available and inexpensive source of fast units to engage them in melee and let you bring the rest of your force to bear.

I imagine glade riders will be least T2.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 27, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
My gut tells me that one of the most effective counters against wood elves would be an army composed entirely of tanks...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

My gut tells me that one of the most effective counters against wood elves would be an army composed entirely of tanks...

Iraq 2: Athel Loren Boogaloo

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pnutz posted:

They're the worst unit in the game. Don't use them

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

SickZip posted:

They're the worst unit in the game. Don't use them

I mean, the Black Coach still exists, technically.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I used to kind of like pistoliers as a super early source of enfilade fire on an engaged front line, but then we got Free Company from the DLC and Free Company do that job about a million times more effectively and for cheaper, soo....

They really need to give pistoliers some AP damage to make them not total crap.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pistoleers are for kiting light cavalry and range.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Pistoleers are for kiting light cavalry and range.

A few volleys from 1-2 crossbowmen or similar ranged units will decimate pistoliers though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Trujillo posted:

A few volleys from 1-2 crossbowmen or similar ranged units will decimate pistoliers though.

Yeah but if they're shooting pistoleers they're not shooting your line, and they're there to pull them out of position, not exchange fire. I'm not saying they're good at it, but if you want a mobile 360 shooter they're it (until welves come out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Yeah but if they're shooting pistoleers they're not shooting your line, and they're there to pull them out of position, not exchange fire. I'm not saying they're good at it, but if you want a mobile 360 shooter they're it (until welves come out.)

Right, that's exactly it. The point is that to shoot at your pistoliers those crossbowmen/quarrelers/whatever have to turn their entire formation towards them, by which point you can easily escape their target cone once again. If you time things well enough you can neutralise the enemy's opportunity to shoot at your melee ranks as they arrive, or let your own missile troops pound their lines unmolested.

Otherwise they are also great for chasing off enemy artillery. I mean yeah, other cavalry is way better but sometimes you need a fast unit, any fast unit, and pistoliers are cheap and can be gotten super early.

• Locked thread