Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you know i have no idea what right wing canadian twitter thinks about anything because i don't believe in a plurality of opinions or dialogue or understanding because, you know, some people are really loving stupid and don't deserve the loving time of day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's fun to laugh at them sometimes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i have this theory that fox news, bill oreilly, sean hannity, the rebel all exist because at least half their loving audience is dumb shitheads like you guys who think they need to maintain some kind of loving false balance in order to be elightened intellectuals

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

It's fun to laugh at them sometimes.

yeah moron, you say taht but you're one of those assholes holding up traffic because your can't resist slowing the gently caress down to gawk at the carnage of auto accident and then have the temerity to whine and bitch about how we all need to be more decent to one another and not get let road rage get the better of us (!)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
You gotta gawk, could be a free deer there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey remember when Stephen Harper issued a statement in a pleasant tone concerning the death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia? I don't recall these whiny fucks having anything to say about that, and every Saudi monarch is a way bigger fucker than Castro ever was.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Hey remember when Stephen Harper issued a statement in a pleasant tone concerning the death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia? I don't recall these whiny fucks having anything to say about that, and every Saudi monarch is a way bigger fucker than Castro ever was.

He barely took any poo poo for his praises of Thatcher too.

But Mulcair did (as he should have, gently caress Thatcher/Reaganomics/trickle down economics).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reminder that Fidel and PET were best buds so it's nice that Trudeau issued a few pleasant words on the occasion of the death of his father's best friend.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I, too, wish people were principled rather than partisan.

Doesn't change the fact that even partisan hacks are sometimes right.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

yeah moron, you say taht but you're one of those assholes holding up traffic because your can't resist slowing the gently caress down to gawk at the carnage of auto accident and then have the temerity to whine and bitch about how we all need to be more decent to one another and not get let road rage get the better of us (!)

It's ok to acknowledge a problem and that you yourself are part of the problem, CI. :)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you think i see much difference between you fucks and kellie leitch supporters?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Postess with the Mostest posted:

As much as the first person isn't that common in the real world, how common is the emboldened one. Does that really happen to you when you're trying to be deferential? Nice to see you posting again too.

Oh man, it's like clockwork. Somebody will hear someone else talk about a culture issue, like not murdering black people, and will start on concern trolling about BLM, then move to "well, I'm not like that", and then on to splaining or whatever else. It follows the same rhetorical plan that it's almost hard to believe they're not reading a script. It only goes that way so efficiently because everyone bandwagons the suspect opinion as soon as it shows up.

It's much more common than a legit Tumblr SJW complaining about being triggered by the word "smack", although I know that happens more often as you get more and more leftists in a group together. I doubt anybody who spends much time in meetings of leftist people hasn't come across a somewhat annoying instance of a minority "SJW" opinion slowing things down. There are definitely the people who can take it, and the people who will go full blown aggrieved white-straight-male if they get a chance.

Anyway, it doesn't bear focusing on since it is completely overblown. Asking for more women to raise their hands in a meeting shouldn't have the anarchist in the room trumpeting about fairness, it should be welcomed as an obvious attempt to get more voices out there, and the anarchist shouldn't be bandwagoned in an attempt to correct him. Just chill out, for gently caress's sake.

edit: and the reason I stopped posting is that nobody has any chill in here, either.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Honestly, I don't know anything about social justice. I never got the chance to learn about it because the social justice courses at my university were graduate-level only. I have some vague idea of what it could possibly be about, but that's all I got.

I find it incredibly suspect that, right now, I hear more about social justice from its opponents rather than its proponents.

Just very strange to me that all of left wing thought is being entirely characterized by this thing that only a very small amount of people (those who can go to grad school) have any access to in the first place. At least feminism was accessible enough to people to be taught in a first-year undergrad course. Why are we letting them define us in this way? How are they even defining us in this way? Is it simply anti-intellectualism? Or are the Stormfronts and others just that effective at silencing anyone other than themselves?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

namaste faggots posted:

you think i see much difference between you fucks and kellie leitch supporters?

Merry Christmas, CI

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I hope Trudeau goes for the atomic-grade trolling and volunteers to be a pallbearer for Fidel.

I will buy a membership to the federal liberals if he does this, my god. :magical:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
lol, oops

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 27, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed foodchat.txt 200 posts ago but I'd rather talk about that then my encounter with Cheryl gallant today. What's a good restaurant in Ottawa according to you experts with strong Keg opinions.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Gezellig is worth a try.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Arbys

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Who the gently caress is George Soros and why is he Justin Trudeau's puppeteer all of a sudden?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

Who the gently caress is George Soros and why is he Justin Trudeau's puppeteer all of a sudden?

He's been playing a long running role as The International Jew in the most lurid of right wingers' paranoid fantasies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I missed foodchat.txt 200 posts ago but I'd rather talk about that then my encounter with Cheryl gallant today. What's a good restaurant in Ottawa according to you experts with strong Keg opinions.

Denny's on Merivale if you're feeling like going a bit upscale.

(New Mee Fung is the best Vietnamese in the city if you like that... depends what kind of food you want I guess)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 26, 2018

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Stopped reading at millennial.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

James Baud posted:

Such a millennial move... No appreciation for the fact that two seconds with Google can give you the man's life story, or, if you don't like reading, interviews, documentaries, and absurd delusional conspiracies on youtube, another few minutes would let you skim reviews and select the most interesting book(s) written about the guy, and you can purchase and download those books to your kindle/computer/phone in seconds.

You know what you used to have to do? It *started* with waiting until the library opened the next day.

Source your quotes

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm not saying we need to deport her but it's an option.

quote:

Democratic Institutions Minister Maryam Monsef says she hasn't yet found enough support to change how Canadians elect their MPs, and won't move ahead with electoral reform without it.

Monsef has led consultations across the country at the same time a special House committee heard from more than 700 witnesses about different methods of reform and whether Canada should keep the existing first-past-the-post system. MPs were also invited to host townhalls on the issue and report back to the committee, which will present its own final report to the House this week.

"We're committed to this initiative, but we're not going to move forward unless we have the broad support of the people of this country for whom we're making this change," Monsef said.

"I've heard the most passion from proponents for proportional representation and proponents for first-past-the-post."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...er&_gsc=mhp5E7a

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hungry? Eat at Zak's!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

isis bride imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Didn't we have an election where this was A Thing?

Promised reform, not deportation

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
she lied on her citizenship application. why wouldn't we deport her rear end?

oh right i forgot she's a woman and its 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Karatela posted:

I missed them too, but I assumed the post formatting just killed it, especially for something happening daily. I did appreciate them, though, even before I realized how obnoxious that would be to set up.

I just haven't had time to post them in the last four months, because I was doing it the slow dumb way.

I might start doing them again in the new thread. They seemed to promote better conversation, sometimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Hungry? Eat at Zak's!

If I wanted to wait 40 minutes for bacon and eggs, I might consider that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Look, the duly elected Prime Minister chose her to head this file. That's all the credibility she needs. If the Canadian public wants electoral reform they can show it to Ms. Monsef.

And if they want legal weed they can show it to Bill Blair.

edit: the best Ottawa restaurant is Shawarma Palace on Rideau, but the one I think is closest to "the Keg, but on CanPol's whitelist" is Chez Lucien on Murray.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you don't like shawarma, you're a bad Canadian and you should feel bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ottawa is the shawarma capital and they've never done me wrong.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

PT6A posted:

If you don't like shawarma, you're a bad Canadian and you should feel bad.

This should be on the eventual Canadian values test. I don't want to lose those sweet meats.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ottawa is the shawarma capital and they've never done me wrong.

I dunno, I align with PT6A on this one and champion Boustan in Montreal above all others.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

Anyway, it doesn't bear focusing on since it is completely overblown. Asking for more women to raise their hands in a meeting shouldn't have the anarchist in the room trumpeting about fairness, it should be welcomed as an obvious attempt to get more voices out there, and the anarchist shouldn't be bandwagoned in an attempt to correct him. Just chill out, for gently caress's sake.

edit: and the reason I stopped posting is that nobody has any chill in here, either.

I think if the last year proves anything is that the media loves the loudest voices in the room and with social media, there are always loud voices to focus on that give people power and a platform that they don't necssairly deserve. And the only way natural way - to most people - to shut that person down is a cavalcade of dissenting opinions.

That...happens a lot in this thread too and I have no idea how to fix either.

edit: twitter's the worst about this and a likely culprit for a lot of this bullshit. half the time I find myself disagreeing with someone I feel like they're arguing with poo poo They Saw On Twitter rather than whatever views I hold.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 27, 2016

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Kebabs > shawarma imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Shawarma > the Keg imo :V