Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I wanna be the ctrl-alt-left. FULL EMACS NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

botany posted:

What the gently caress is the alt-left supposed to be, and how is it different from the regular left :confused:

They're trying to steal the negative connotations associated with the alt-right and apply them to the left. "Alt-left" is meaningless, it's just supposed to invoke the thought "well, I haven't heard of this 'alt-left' before, but the alt-right are fascists and white supremacists, so the alt-left must be really really bad, whoever they are". It's a fictional false equivalence they're using to make the left look worse and the alt-right look less bad.

Naturally, idiot moron progressives are happily adopting this bullshit that arch-conservative spin-masters made up. When people complain that conservatives always seem to get to frame the issues, this is why.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Huzanko posted:

it's you. you're the lanyard-dick.
For it to be a good insult the targets of the insult have to understand it.

This reminds me of Freddie DeBoer claiming that Vox and Slate writers just want to get invited to Georgetown cocktail parties, Georgetown is terminally uncool and they wouldn't be caught dead there.

(Except for WHCD weekend, that's where all the good after parties are.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quorum posted:

Seems like an appropriate label then

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

You're correct, Keanu Reeves does nothing. :colbert:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I tried it on my keyboard and it doesn't even do anything.

Well ...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[the same Keanu Reeves picture but even larger]

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Logically, the alt-left should be the regular left but really racist and into making memes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

Logically, the alt-left should be the regular left but really racist and into making memes.
so, the MSM "liberals"?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Logically, the alt-left should be the regular left but really sexist and into making memes.

fixed

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Libertarians?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

So from this thread, I've gathered that "alt-left" either means a group of people so tiny and meaningless that they aren't worth having a term for or, alternately, like the entire third or so of the Democratic party that's significantly left of center.

Seems like a useful term.

Very useful.

Here people chanting "whats better then 12 dead cops?, 13 dead cops?" Well thats an alt-left chant.

See people protesting the election results by tagging cars and standing in the street? Thats and alt-left protest.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

spunkshui posted:

Very useful.

Here people chanting "whats better then 12 dead cops?, 13 dead cops?" Well thats an alt-left chant.

See people protesting the election results by tagging cars and standing in the street? Thats and alt-left protest.
so what you're saying is that alt-left is what we would have called 70s left-wing anarchists

i think we should bring 70s anarchists back

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Stop buying into framing that was made up wholesale by conservative media figures, you idiots.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why don't movies anymore have the generic multicultural youth violence gangs all the movies of the 70's and 80's had.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I too wish for a return of 1970s radical free love anarchist anti-capitalist movements

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Stop buying into framing that was made up wholesale by conservative media figures, you idiots.

Thats the joke.

PEPE!

GAS THE JEWS!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I too wish for a return of 1970s radical free love anarchist anti-capitalist movements

And then for Charles Bronson to ingloriously put them down like a rabid dog.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Bip Roberts posted:

No

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bip Roberts posted:

the reagan-era anti-communist pro-dictatorship conservatives have come and gone

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

[the same Keanu Reeves picture but even larger]

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Stop blaming everyone else for your poo poo candidates. Maybe support middle class americans instead of rich assholes for once.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tiberius Christ posted:

Stop blaming everyone else for your poo poo candidates. Maybe support middle class americans instead of rich assholes for once.

I think we should go further than "stop supporting them" :getin:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If there's any proof of a god I've slighted, it's the constant stream of new or gradually undefined political labels to slapfight about.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
"middle class americans" is a euphemism for white suburbanites. Let's try something that includes the poor and minorities as well, "working americans"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fansy posted:

"middle class americans" is a euphemism for white suburbanites. Let's try something that includes the poor and minorities as well, "working americans"

Why not call ourselves what the rich already consider us?
Plebeians.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Fansy posted:

jesus shut the gently caress up
lets spend the next four years jerking each other off over the correct "labels" for poo poo instead of taxing the rich

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiberius Christ posted:

lets spend the next four years jerking each other off over the correct "labels" for poo poo instead of taxing the rich

o i hadn't thought of that. yeah lets do that *pulls massive level labelled 'tax the rich'*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We're not going to ever recover best to try and flee the country and just live a carefree life knowing that death awaits the human race in the next 100 years as we turn our planet into Venus.

Like if anything you should feel very liberated from the knowledge that we're all going extinct.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tiberius Christ posted:

I don't think the rich are going to be taxed more in the next four years.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hollismason posted:

We're not going to ever recover best to try and flee the country and just live a carefree life knowing that death awaits the human race in the next 100 years as we turn our planet into Venus.

Like if anything you should feel very liberated from the knowledge that we're all going extinct.
plant life will actually do really well with a 50 degree hike in temperature

it's just nominally sapient species that'll get the shaft

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

botany posted:

o i hadn't thought of that. yeah lets do that *pulls massive level labelled 'tax the rich'*

eat poo poo
do have any support for americans at all?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

So if one assumes there will be some deflation of tech in the next four years, entirely possible, how will the world get hot takes if Twitter turns into a technological black hole?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm down to join the Weather Underground version 2, especially if they have their own Bernadine Dohrn

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

RuanGacho posted:

So if one assumes there will be some deflation of tech in the next four years, entirely possible, how will the world get hot takes if Twitter turns into a technological black hole?

Trump'll commission blimps with giant screens to keep Americans up to date with his bullshit at all times.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Trump'll commission blimps with giant screens to keep Americans up to date with his bullshit at all times.

this reminds me that I need to buy Dishonored 2

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blue squares posted:

I'm down to join the Weather Underground version 2, especially if they have their own Bernadine Dohrn

It doesn't take a weatherman to tell that this idea blows

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still love that America is better suited electing a far right billionaire who markets overt racism rather than an old dude selling a welfare state.

gotta love your country tho

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sethex posted:

I still love that America is better suited electing a far right billionaire who markets overt racism rather than an old dude selling a welfare state.

gotta love your country tho

America is a trash country doomed to fall into disorder and civil war before being promptly forgotten.

It fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

America is merely a step on the path to a more perfect world order.

• Locked thread