Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

effika posted:

Google Pixel question: For the life of me I can't figure out how to set the ringer/notification sound volume to silent and have it NOT vibrate. Is there a way to turn the sound down to zero without having it vibrate?

Priority / Do Not Disturb mode in the Quick Settings pulldown menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
On the verizon Pixel, will unlocking the boatloader via the method mentioned earlier disable OTA? I don't plan to root, but don't want to depend on Verizon, as i will be on at&t.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LastInLine posted:

Do Not Disturb, in the notification shade.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks; I was still thinking in terms of what DND meant on my old phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Femur posted:

On the verizon Pixel, will unlocking the boatloader via the method mentioned earlier disable OTA? I don't plan to root, but don't want to depend on Verizon, as i will be on at&t.

My guess would be no. Historically the only thing that would prevent an OTA from working would be a modification to the system partition and the bootloader has nothing to do with that.

OTAs do often include new bootloaders but I'd doubt they have a way of relocking it since it's the same image regardless of whether it's on Verizon or not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you hold the vol button down it will shift into DND as well.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

LastInLine posted:

My guess would be no. Historically the only thing that would prevent an OTA from working would be a modification to the system partition and the bootloader has nothing to do with that.

OTAs do often include new bootloaders but I'd doubt they have a way of relocking it since it's the same image regardless of whether it's on Verizon or not.

thank you, I will go ahead and do it then.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

Seem to recall SA was very anti-Oneplus back in the day I was looking at the OP2 (rightly as the OP2 was crap). Still the case now? The 3T is looking very tempting. I have a 6P but having the fingerprint reader on the back drives me up the wall (I'm a phone-on-desk person), the extra RAM would be nice and ironically OnePlus supports their phone with things like VoLTE on EE better than Google does.

Just got my Oneplus 3T yesterday. It's a bigger phone than I'm used to, coming from a Nexus 5, but manageable. Everything seems to perform well. Haven't tested the camera much but so far it seems great. I put the curved glass screen protector on and one of the Oneplus cases because I wanted something less slippery than the metal back.

Screen on time's at three hours, phone's at 62 % battery, claiming one day, 14 hours left.

Overall very happy with the phone, would highly recommend given 30 hours ownership.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Femur posted:

Be aware that this does break Android Pay, in case that's a thing you care about.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm thinking about returning my pixel. It's very similar to my nexus 6 except smaller. I liked my big phone. The only loss really is the amazing camera. If I could buy another nexus in like new condition I'd be fine with that. Mine just has lovely battery life now and the processor is pretty slow.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, the Nexus 6 was a great size and great design. But it's old and it shows in battery life especially and it's at the point where it's not getting guaranteed OS updates. Which has the potential to kill one of the nice advantages of going Pixel/Nexus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The N6P is worth considering as a compromise for that situation. A year of updates left, a camera that's closer to the Pixel than the N6, a screen size somewhere between the two, and it can be had for half the price of a Pixel (Black Friday deals aside).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 27, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
The $240 bestbuy verizon deal for the pixel is back if anyone is interested, with a 100gc this time.. So 140 for the pixel!

Regret getting it on black friday now!

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

So can I buy a pixel on a Verizon monthly plan for $240, pay for like a month of service, then cancel the plan and pay off the $240 or will it then revert to full price for payoff? Want to use it on at&t.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Viper915 posted:

So can I buy a pixel on a Verizon monthly plan for $240, pay for like a month of service, then cancel the plan and pay off the $240 or will it then revert to full price for payoff? Want to use it on at&t.

No, the phone is $650. You agree to pay that over 24 months ($28/month). Verizon is then going to give you $410 in statement credits over those 24 months. Which brings it down to $10/month. You can pay it off early, but then you lose out on however much of the statement credits are left.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Viper915 posted:

Yeah, you can read more about it here.

you buy through best buy, which is selling it it for 240 on payment plan, as long as you activate through verizon.. you can pay off the 240 to verizon on my device tab, then cancel verizon immediately, so you don't have to pay full month of verizon, only a prorated amount. now you also get 100 gift card to best buy.

This is how it's suppose to work.. but maybe there is a risk verizon screws us all who did this.

Femur fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 27, 2016

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Femur posted:

maybe there is a risk verizon screws us all
lmao, yeah "maybe"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Melraidin posted:

Just got my Oneplus 3T yesterday. It's a bigger phone than I'm used to, coming from a Nexus 5, but manageable. Everything seems to perform well. Haven't tested the camera much but so far it seems great. I put the curved glass screen protector on and one of the Oneplus cases because I wanted something less slippery than the metal back.

Screen on time's at three hours, phone's at 62 % battery, claiming one day, 14 hours left.

Overall very happy with the phone, would highly recommend given 30 hours ownership.

I just ordered a 3t as an n5 replacement. Hoping I can get used to the size. Replaced my wife's n5 with a g4+, which is really nice but huge

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

huge phones are good and you get used to the size in a day or two

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Does Best Buy actually have Pixels to sell, though? And if so, how?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

huge phones are good and you get used to the size in a day or two

Disagree. I've had my 5X for nearly a year and its size still bothers me often, and it's not even that big. It's nice occasionally to watch a video or something but normal browsing/texting usages can be annoying. 5" is the best size.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Just got a pixel through the Verizon $240 deal. LIke it so far but desperately need a case for it. Anyone have any recommendations? Since its a newer brand phone there don't seem to be many options for it. My main requirement for a case is rubbery non-slippery grip and most of the ones I'm looking at look slick as hell.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

insider posted:

Just got a pixel through the Verizon $240 deal. LIke it so far but desperately need a case for it. Anyone have any recommendations? Since its a newer brand phone there don't seem to be many options for it. My main requirement for a case is rubbery non-slippery grip and most of the ones I'm looking at look slick as hell.

Otterbox makes a pixel case

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

insider posted:

Diztronic has a matte one that is $10, fits very well, and has Prime shipping on Amazon. It or the Speck grippy one are probably a good bet.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

effika posted:

Diztronic has a matte one that is $10, fits very well, and has Prime shipping on Amazon. It or the Speck grippy one are probably a good bet.

The Diztronic one is perfect. No idea why it wasn't showing up in my searches but exactly what I want. Thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Taffer posted:

Disagree. I've had my 5X for nearly a year and its size still bothers me often, and it's not even that big. It's nice occasionally to watch a video or something but normal browsing/texting usages can be annoying. 5" is the best size.

My 5x is barely larger than my old Moto X, but after like five months, I'm still not really comfortable with the weight distribution. It feels a little top heavy and I'm worried about holding it one handed.

The 6p didn't seem like it would even fit in my pocket, though Best Buy insists on using giant theft protection devices on anything not Apple or Samsung, so it was hard to judge.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

effika posted:

I went to VZW to look at the Pixels on Friday. Ten minutes later I was ordering a Diztronic while waiting on the rep to come out from the back with my Pixel. Dammit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I felt the 4.7" screen in the Moto X 2013 was about perfect for one hand use. And I'm no girly handed Donald Trump type

I can't wait to lose this Nexus 5x for the smaller Pixel. Also because aside from the camera, the 5x doesn't really perform much better than that old Moto X.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

PerrineClostermann posted:

FYI, both the overpriced ZAGG and the Spartan Shield from Xtreme juuuust manage to fail covering the Pixel XL's entire screen surface.

Yeah, I got the Spartan Shield for $2 or whatever and it doesn't quite cover the screen. Super frustrating.

I ended up with this case and I quite like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged-Google-Resilient-Absorption/dp/B01M1EEXWJ/

More general trip report: came from 2014 Moto X to Pixel XL.

Transfer process with cable was not nearly good as Moto Migrate between 2013/2014 Moto Xs. It missed a bunch of stuff.

Best part: battery life. I went 3 days over the weekend without charging. That's nuts.
Second best part: performance. Oh my god it's so fast across everything.

Worst part: size. It's slightly bigger than the phone I came from, but it's also MUCH heavier. Wish I'd gone with the non-XL.
Second worst part: jesus christ Google, why did you discontinue the stock android mail app, and then NOT migrate my work email account into a new app at all? Apparently you're supposed to use the gmail app for exchange accounts now. gently caress that. Switched to Outlook. Outlook's good, but I'm getting 15 minute reminders for 3:00 meetings at 2:48 instead of 2:45.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Is anyone familiar with D-Brand skins at all for the Pixel XL? I'm getting a proclip mount for my car since they were just released and it wont fit with my case that I currently have, so I'm planning on just grabbing a skin. The thing that is confusing me is that I only see three options listed when I try to configure for the Pixel XL "Front" "Back" and "Glass". When I watched the video on how to apply the skin it showed that there should four options total, three options for just the back coverage, "Full", "Partial" or "Glass" as opposed to the two that are listed "Back" and "Glass". Just want to make sure if I order the one labeled "Back" it's going to be the full coverage one, anyone using one of these?

I also ordered one of those Spartan Shield glass screen protectors for $2.50 or so that the last few posters have mentioned and it also just barely doesn't cover my entire Pixel XL screen, doesn't bother me at all though since its barely even a millimeter on either side of the screen. Only thing that bothers me is that it is so much worse about picking up smudges/fingerprints/etc than the actual screen and for some reason it seems to magnify them or something, needing to be constantly wiped off.

Overall, still pretty good for $2.50.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 28, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KS posted:

Second worst part: jesus christ Google, why did you discontinue the stock android mail app, and then NOT migrate my work email account into a new app at all? Apparently you're supposed to use the gmail app for exchange accounts now.

Google's policy on just about all the major apps now. Discontinue stock app, promote google app instead.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

surf rock posted:

Oh, this is a good point. Yeah, my account is from my workplace. If I add a personal account as well, can I get the phone to treat that as the owner account wo the personal account also being my Mail default, too? Or would I need to go to a Verizon store to get that switched?

I reckon just add the personal account using the Settings > Accounts prompt, then open Play Store and toggle accounts - that's probably what it piggybacks off. Apps individually store a preference for what the 'active' account is, it's not a phone-wide setting.

edit: Although if Verizon baked in some poo poo and you're using their mail app instead of Gmail or Inbox app I don't know, I got mine outright in AU so there's no branding.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 28, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

On a Pixel on Verizon, you get a fun little carrier name in the lockscreen status bar that just says "VzW". So hip and trendy, Verizon!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine just says Verizon Wireless. Just like it would say Att or TMobile.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

On a Pixel on Verizon, you get a fun little carrier name in the lockscreen status bar that just says "VzW". So hip and trendy, Verizon!

Mine has my current carrier too, I don't get it

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

It said "Verizon Wireless" on my 6P, but the Pixel says "VzW". Wonder if it has to do with agent who set it up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My Play Store Pixel just says "Verizon Wireless"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KS posted:

Worst part: size. It's slightly bigger than the phone I came from, but it's also MUCH heavier. Wish I'd gone with the non-XL.

Only slightly bigger? I would say the regular Pixel is only slightly bigger than the 2014 X.

I should have just gone to a drat Verizon store Friday instead of ordering online Thursday evening. Ah well, such is life.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

XIII posted:

It said "Verizon Wireless" on my 6P, but the Pixel says "VzW". Wonder if it has to do with agent who set it up.

If that's the case, you should be able to edit it in the Access Points menu.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So I have decided to return my pixel. It's a good phone but it's not for me. I will miss that amazing camera though. I just feel that if I'm gonna spend so much money on a phone, I better be happy with it.

So I plan on just sticking with my Nexus 6 until further notice. Or I DID until I realized that in the excitement of unboxing the pixel I must have accidentally thrown out the sim tray. Anyone got a spare lying around they can toss my way? I'll pay for the part or I'll pay for shipping or both but I just need one asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I have decided to return my pixel. It's a good phone but it's not for me. I will miss that amazing camera though. I just feel that if I'm gonna spend so much money on a phone, I better be happy with it.

So I plan on just sticking with my Nexus 6 until further notice. Or I DID until I realized that in the excitement of unboxing the pixel I must have accidentally thrown out the sim tray. Anyone got a spare lying around they can toss my way? I'll pay for the part or I'll pay for shipping or both but I just need one asap

There is a replacement sim tray on Amazon for $7, it's even Prime.