Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Travic posted:

I'll admit I do want it really bad. What does it do that sets it so far above everything else?

That's a good benchmark.

The new fancy rice cookers have pressure cooking that makes it faster. That's about all that has improved in rice cookers in the last decade as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Zojirushi and it makes a happy jingle when the rice is done. Alone worth the price.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't know what the tech is but my zojirushi neuro fuzzy makes perfect rice every drat time, keeps it warm for like a day if I want it to, is easy to clean, and I can't say the same things about the 30 dollar shits I've bought from Target.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
When I made rice in the Instant Pot it got rice starch water EVERYWHERE even though I rinsed my rice. What was I doing wrong?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Seconding the Instant Pot suggestion, unless you eat rice on an almost daily basis. It does almost as good of a job at cooking rice as the Zojirushi but can do so much more.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Cool. Thanks for the advice.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone able to recommend women's gloves, windproof and good down to zero degrees F or so, but with touchscreen capability?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eponine posted:

When I made rice in the Instant Pot it got rice starch water EVERYWHERE even though I rinsed my rice. What was I doing wrong?

You need less water than other methods. Don't go above 1:1 rice to water.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I need to store all these tools:

Plus some cables and maybe a few more tools. I need to store them COMPACTLY so I can carry them to work sites in my messenger bag. Some kind of roll maybe?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

signalnoise posted:

I don't understand, you have the roll of tape you need right there

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

turbomoose posted:

I don't understand, you have the roll of tape you need right there

Nah man that's gaffer's tape that poo poo's expensive

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd buy a small pelican case and optionally cut some custom inserts. Probably too large to fit in another bag, but you can abuse the hell out of the case without worrying

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, I'd go with a tool roll. I've never bought one though so can't recommend anything specific. Carhartt and Dickies both make them and are generally decent quality for the price.

I kind of want a tool roll now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Plus some cables and maybe a few more tools. I need to store them COMPACTLY so I can carry them to work sites in my messenger bag. Some kind of roll maybe?

Stagehand?

Also the CLC tool rolls are good quality and several small ones are more convenient then one huge one. Also the company "Setwear" makes good entertainment industry specific tool pouches.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I fix touchscreen television arrays and this is what the company gave me. I dunno how much I actually need of this, or what's missing. This is also the first time I've ever heard of a balldriver. Never thought I'd google that term.

Thanks for the rec!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're new to the repair work, get a handle on jis vs phillips screws. I have a feeling that imported displays will use jis screws; while it may seem like a phillips will fit, you'll strip them like mad

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

E: never mind.

theHUNGERian has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Dec 5, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sentient Data posted:

If you're new to the repair work, get a handle on jis vs phillips screws. I have a feeling that imported displays will use jis screws; while it may seem like a phillips will fit, you'll strip them like mad

Used to work on Fujifilm (Japanese) photo printers and can confirm this. JIS heads/drivers are designed opposite of Phillips - they don't cam out of the fastener as torque increases. The drivers are also backwards compatible with Phillips heads and you get a little added purchase to boot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I fix touchscreen television arrays and this is what the company gave me. I dunno how much I actually need of this, or what's missing. This is also the first time I've ever heard of a balldriver. Never thought I'd google that term.

Thanks for the rec!

Ah, I saw the gaff tape and just assumed.

If you want to add some stuff, a small gunsmithing screwdriver set is nice to have if you want to increase your "I can turn any fastener I come across" chops. The nicer ones have hollow ground straight blades and the philips ones tend to be far far more precisely made then even most nice mechanic/construction ones.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Who makes the coolest graphic tees? I have Threadless, Johnny Cupcakes, and Origin68 on my radar, but that's it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Geoj posted:

they don't cam out of the fastener as torque increases.
What does this mean?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

They are designed to have the driver slip out of the screw rather than keep turning until it breaks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

Who makes the coolest graphic tees? I have Threadless, Johnny Cupcakes, and Origin68 on my radar, but that's it.

Uniqlo if you aren't fat

If you are fat, then Threadless is my favorite as far as the quality of the shirt. Lootcrate has a decent shirt now and then and the shirts are decent quality. My favorite graphic artist that does poo poo on Threadless is James White, aka Signalnoise who I heard of after I got this nick and who is a cooler person than me by all metrics. https://signalnoise.threadless.com/

What exactly are you looking for in a cool graphic tee though? Do you want pop culture stuff, neat designs?

Is there a christmas gift thread yet?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

signalnoise posted:

What exactly are you looking for in a cool graphic tee though? Do you want pop culture stuff, neat designs?

Neat designs, mostly. I don't want stuff that's obnoxiously 'THIS IS A POP CULTURE REFERENCE' but if it's subtle enough it might be okay.

e: drat that signalnoise guy makes rad shirts though

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Dec 5, 2016

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Neat designs, mostly. I don't want stuff that's obnoxiously 'THIS IS A POP CULTURE REFERENCE' but if it's subtle enough it might be okay.

e: drat that signalnoise guy makes rad shirts though

http://shop.brosciencelife.com/brands-en/mike-and-gian-en/mike-and-gian-en-3/donald-pump.html

very unobnoxious

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I need to get a $10 white elephant gift for a party that I really don't know the people well. We are trying to not do the gag gift thing, mainly want to get something people will actually want.
Nothing vulgar or anything meme related as these are not all people who would even recognize that stuff.

Any suggestions? Amazon would be good as I have prime and some gift card balance there to cover it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Trastion posted:

I need to get a $10 white elephant gift for a party that I really don't know the people well. We are trying to not do the gag gift thing, mainly want to get something people will actually want.
Nothing vulgar or anything meme related as these are not all people who would even recognize that stuff.

Any suggestions? Amazon would be good as I have prime and some gift card balance there to cover it.

I'm giving out a bunch of these this year. Incredibly useful - more focused beam than a phone's flashlight, brighter and charges off of a microUSB cable.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yo my dudes / dudettes what is the best pillow? Trying to get a gift for a friend. He said he doesnt like hard foamy pillows, and he might want one firmer, one softer. I was gonna get two ghost pillows as they have a 2 for 1 deal for $80ish bucks. Would like to spend < 100 total, but am open to any and all suggestions.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm pretty sure I've recommended them before but

https://www.designbyhumans.com

when I first started ordering from them years ago they had just tshirts in men's but now they have shirts tanks sweaters knits phone cases and prints. I have about 10-15 shirts and tanks from them and I am very impressed with the quality.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It takes some getting used to but I love buckwheat hull pillows personally. Purple is making a pillow too and it should be good, though expensive.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Killingyouguy! posted:

http://www.giantrobot.com/collections/apparel/Shirt
https://www.imaginaryfoundation.com/
http://skreened.com/dumbstuff
https://www.nuvango.com/

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Geoj posted:

I'm giving out a bunch of these this year. Incredibly useful - more focused beam than a phone's flashlight, brighter and charges off of a microUSB cable.

Thanks, that's definitely a good idea. Is there a thread for small gift items like this? Someone asked about a xmas gift thread but no one replied to that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm looking for a thermostat with a schedule and automatic switching between heat and cool. I don't want to have to flip the 'Heat-Off-Cool' switch manually. Ideally it would be less than $50.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If you're looking for slippers, Costco has some nice warm ones for not much. Not gonna be as warm as real wool, but they'll work for most people and temps.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Does your girlfriend have too much poo poo in the shower?

Behold!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Does your girlfriend have too much poo poo in the shower?

Behold!

I see no world in which that thing is not overloaded to the point of shower rod failure within the first week. No one who desperately needs more storage space in their shower it's going to be able to resist just jamming every one of those pockets full of poo poo.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I would like recommendations for English-style tea sets, please.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bongwizzard posted:

I see no world in which that thing is not overloaded to the point of shower rod failure within the first week. No one who desperately needs more storage space in their shower it's going to be able to resist just jamming every one of those pockets full of poo poo.

It's the world where you have tons of little things, like pumice stones and other mysterious girl crap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

It's the world where you have tons of little things, like pumice stones and other mysterious girl crap.

That is some good as gently caress onion, they are so much better when they take a light touch.

But that just proves my point, that shower rod is doomed to fail.

Edit: We had to add a storage pole thing to our shower as there was no room at all around the edge or on the built in rack. My products are a bottle of Dr Bronners and a burlap pouch full of soap slivers I use during tick season. And yet somehow my shower-whiskey was "a dumb waste of space".

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me some socks for winter? I tried looking up wool/wool blends but didn't really trust what I was seeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.