Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

djdanno13 posted:

I think the most telling comparison is that after two episodes most people are still willing to watch more grand tour to see where it's going and if it'll get better. How many said that after two episodes of new new top gear?

Matt LeBlanc was a happy surprise and got me tuning in for more episodes. Evans sucked but the rest of the cast was and is pretty good.

The last few seasons of TG were pretty lame and creatively vacuous. The first couple episodes of GT have been similar. I'll probably give them one more episode and then drop it if it's not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It feels like some of you don't like fun.
I like fun, which is exactly why I didn't like this episode very much :D

Cat Hatter posted:

Something that ejectes downward like the FN P90 or wear sleeves?

Some rifles like the Steyr Aug can be switched between left and right ejection.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Taerkar posted:

Nothing but cheap car challenges.

Yeah, this is how it should be. They should be buying unique old cars in different countries and going to interesting places with them, while wacky hijinks ensue.

Less supercar wank more fun poo poo (with cars).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Joey had his moments but was also stiff and unnatural as gently caress a lot of the time, and while everyone not Evans was better than him, they were also mostly loving BORING.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

astropika posted:

Yeah, this is how it should be. They should be buying unique old cars in different countries and going to interesting places with them, while wacky hijinks ensue.

Less supercar wank more fun poo poo (with cars).

With the amount of money they're wasting on stupid poo poo, they could have a $50k budget to buy classic muscle cars and go all vanishing point/bullet/smokey and the bandit all over the fuckin place.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Powershift posted:

With the amount of money they're wasting on stupid poo poo, they could have a $50k budget to buy classic muscle cars and go all vanishing point/bullet/smokey and the bandit all over the fuckin place.

:agreed:

That would own.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just think they are having fun with the huge budget and doing poo poo the BBC would never let them do. I accept its different but I like it. Its very relaxing to watch.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
What is Patrick over at Jalopnik going on about, do they hate fun or something? Comparing the second episode to the India special, are you kidding? I thought the spec ops bit was hilarious from start to finish and the car segments have been beautiful in both episodes.

It sounds like they want GT to be what they think Top Gear used to be and sure it's easy to put together a memory of the best TV show ever with like twenty seasons to work with.

But I liked TGUS after the first season, maybe my perception is flawed.

edit

Preoptopus posted:

I just think they are having fun with the huge budget and doing poo poo the BBC would never let them do. I accept its different but I like it. Its very relaxing to watch.

Yeah and this too. They seem like they're just out to have a good time and if you don't like Clarkson's idea of fun then you might not like the show.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iwentdoodie posted:

Not a matter of set up. The whole chassis is designed to only go left. Making it go right would be a totally different vehicle.

Basically a 410 go karts.

....let's do it.
There's at least one street-legal sprint car, so it's theoretically possible, but that was an '89 model, so maybe before they went crazy with chassis design (source: an article in an '90s issue of Motor Trend). Hell, NASCAR Cup cars were noticeably curved at one point, until they cracked down on it and mandated one chassis for all tracks.

As for the NASCAR driver, I like the idea, but couldn't they have hired somebody who's actually the stereotype instead? I guess none of the recently-retired premier-series regulars needed the money/asked for too much.

Falken posted:

Never realised he was a left handed rifle user.
Which one? I haven't seen it and I'm broke and already burned my Prime free trial. :saddowns: But yay, fellow lefty! Also, nah, it's fine he got the terminology wrong, he's British, probably the first time he's seen one. :v:

Cat Hatter posted:

Something that ejectes downward like the FN P90 or wear sleeves?
Very few rifles are actually a problem for us lefties. Maybe the original AR-15/M16, that's why they added the little nubbin sticking out the side behind the ejection port, to keep it from bopping you in the forehead, most eject sideways enough it doesn't matter. The only real difficulty is bolt-actions with scopes, if it's not got a scope (and usually even with, see Pvt. Jackson in Saving Private Ryan) it's easy enough to reach over the top and work it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 27, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

nthing that Grand Tour hasn't really lived up to the hype so far. Between the air forces bit from episode 1, American not-Stig, the military segment from this episode, and even Celebrity Brain Crash, they seem to be relying a bit much on repetitive jokes that get old fast, and everything feels a lot more scripted than it ever used to be. Also nthing that cheap car challenges really need to make a return. This thread is pretty biased towards CHM, so it seems to be colouring a lot of goons' opinions of Grand Tour, and this was also especially noticable with new new BBC Top Gear, again nthing that the trio probably needed the BBC more than the BBC needed them.

After The Great Fracas, everyone predicted that BBC Top Gear would just deteriate into nothing, and the Grand Tour would swoop in and make Top Gear greater than it ever was, but that's not really how it worked out. New BBC Top Gear started weak, but ended up getting better as they realized no one liked Evans and that Harris and Reid were where it was really at. Meanwhile Grand Tour started strong, but it's already starting to get stagnant just 2 episodes in.

But this is all just impressions from 2 episodes in, they still got 10 episodes to go and who knows what will happen in those. I just know that where I currently stand, I used to have one great motoring programme, now I have two pretty good ones and that's A-okay.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Do the three of them just hate doing those odd car and cross country driving challenges at this point in their lives? The hot meal thing was dreadfully important to Clarkson, Hammond may still be spinally broken in a few places and May might be happier being free to fly home some nights to be at peace in his garden shed.

They're all old, they've been there and done that. Is schlocky crap like playing commando simply coming as a result of its lower time commitment?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If they wanted a lower time commitment, they would have just retired rather than sign a 36 episode deal.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just watched the SAS segment again. I think the second half is notably better than the first. I feel like they got rid of SIARPC and are currently doing a shorter news segment but since they're still doing the same number of segments they aren't as tightly edited and tend to drag a bit more than they used to. If they'd cut about 20-50% of that segment, I think it would have gone over better.

I don't think GT is as good as TG used to be (still better than any episode of Evans' TG though, which I still enjoyed), but a lot of their problems still feel like growing pains to me. They'll probably either add a segment to each episode or figure out how to utilize the studio tent segments better (I like Celebrity Brain Drain, but if they don't drop it in a few episodes its going to be hard to keep the joke going).

I'm kind of wondering if they're going to keep the tent next season though. Clarkson has said they thought it was a cool idea when they had it but then they realized what a pain in the rear end it is to move around all the time (and its clear they aren't quite comfortable with it yet).

Delivery McGee posted:

There's at least one street-legal sprint car, so it's theoretically possible, but that was an '89 model, so maybe before they went crazy with chassis design (source: an article in an '90s issue of Motor Trend). Hell, NASCAR Cup cars were noticeably curved at one point, until they cracked down on it and mandated one chassis for all tracks.

As for the NASCAR driver, I like the idea, but couldn't they have hired somebody who's actually the stereotype instead? I guess none of the recently-retired premier-series regulars needed the money/asked for too much.

Which one? I haven't seen it and I'm broke and already burned my Prime free trial. :saddowns: But yay, fellow lefty! Also, nah, it's fine he got the terminology wrong, he's British, probably the first time he's seen one. :v:

Very few rifles are actually a problem for us lefties. Maybe the original AR-15/M16, that's why they added the little nubbin sticking out the side behind the ejection port, to keep it from bopping you in the forehead, most eject sideways enough it doesn't matter. The only real difficulty is bolt-actions with scopes, if it's not got a scope (and usually even with, see Pvt. Jackson in Saving Private Ryan) it's easy enough to reach over the top and work it.

He probably also could have just used the vertical foregrip that was already on the gun to get his arm further out of the way. Not that I would know, I don't shoot long guns and I think my lefty wife shoots (pistols only) right handed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I think the shooty section should have been somewhat shorter, and there should have been a bit more actually set in South Africa. It seems weird to spend all that time and money travelling to different countries, whilst most of the episode is footage from another country entirely.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Delivery McGee posted:

According to someone I used to know, the generic British-used SA80 family is a pain in the dick (well, face, actually) for lefties due to its bullpup format, so I wouldn't be surprised that Clarkson (being British and interested in military history) would have an opinion based on that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

InitialDave posted:

According to someone I used to know, the generic British-used SA80 family is a pain in the dick (well, face, actually) for lefties due to its bullpup format, so I wouldn't be surprised that Clarkson (being British and interested in military history) would have an opinion based on that.

I could have sworn Clarkson did a bit on the SA80 in his late 90s talk show, but I may be remembering somebody else and google's not being too helpful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cat Hatter posted:

He probably also could have just used the vertical foregrip that was already on the gun to get his arm further out of the way. Not that I would know, I don't shoot long guns and I think my lefty wife shoots (pistols only) right handed.

I don't think it's so much handedness as it is which eye is dominant. When I went through basic, they had everyone figure out which eye was dominant to figure out which way to shoot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Holy crap there's a lot of complaining. I thought both episodes were great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It's 3 blokes with an unlimited budget doing whatever they think is fun. Of course they're going to pretend to be special forces and have a knife fight on the wing of a plane.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

GutBomb posted:

Holy crap there's a lot of complaining. I thought both episodes were great.
Criticizing, I think, more than complaining. Most are only watching this show if you liked the old one, and it was very likable back then.

I guess I was expecting to move beyond "check out this 6 year old wacky photo from the internet" which is then accompanied by the most telegraphed stock-standard CBS-sitcom caliber jokes but having also been stretched out long past the point of comfort.

They aren't being their old themselves, which is fine, but their new themselves are lacking and are not an upgrade in the face of high expectations. If the chatty link segments were funny I'd not mind much if the filmed portion was as poor as it is. If the link was terrible but the filmed portion was remarkable, I'd also be ok. But as it is, aisde from having the same 3, some occasional cars and the old vignette camera effect back, I don't see what is so great about having the pieces laid out before me but none of it working together as a whole.

Would you honestly not replace "The American" with something/someone better given the chance? I get that the humor has to sell internationally, and that it is really, really hard to assemble a good verbal gag that lands from China to Comoros, but they had the money and time to do it. And they simply failed. So we get contextless Mike Skinner peeling off throwaway quips from a thick sheaf of them with no end or improvement in sight.

Also speaking of camera, chopping the aspect ratio of the Vulcan segment to something possible thinner than 2.35:1 made it hard to see anything of the car itself. Like with the writing, I dont think they've spent well on the camera and editing side either when a two man team of Chris Harris and Neil Carey were able to make the Vulcan beautiful while Grand Tour with 20x the people and 50x the budget made it look worse.

But I enjoy hating things so what do I know.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I get that the humor has to sell internationally, and that it is really, really hard to assemble a good verbal gag that lands from China to Comoros, but they had the money and time to do it.
But that's the point. All their humour in TG was just normal British humour. If people didn't already like/get it internationally, they'd never have grown in popularity as much.

There's a danger in it becoming a cynical exercise, like how major Hollywood movies now find a reason to include Chinese characters specifically to try and appeal to the burgeoning market there, and that always comes across to me like the national identity version of the fellow kids meme.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Delivery McGee posted:

It was Jeremy, and actually he got the terminology right. It was a select fire (fully automatic) rifle. Otherwise known as an assault rifle. Assault weapon is the word that is completely made up by gun control groups and is used to describe "gun that looks scary".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

djdanno13 posted:

It was Jeremy, and actually he got the terminology right. It was a select fire (fully automatic) rifle. Otherwise known as an assault rifle. Assault weapon is the word that is completely made up by gun control groups and is used to describe "gun that looks scary".
I think his point was that the shorter barrel makes it a carbine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gearhead posted:

I think the shooty bit needed to be shorter and we needed all 3 guys ruining tires for much longer.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. They didn't get deep enough into the local car culture like I thought they would.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like the show. I don't like The American.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
As a lefty, shooting right handed guns can definitely be a hassle but it depends on the specific gun. ARs have a little bump to deflect casings forward and once you are used to them flying in front of your face it's not so bad. Shotguns tend to be more annoying.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I think his point was that the shorter barrel makes it a carbine.

It's still an AR-15 based firearm. Swapping between a carbine length 10" barrel and a Vietnam-era 20" M16 barrel on one takes less than 30 seconds.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think that invalidates his point, though.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

There's definitely a bit of "The manager's out and we've gone CRAZY" going on with new not top gear, but I suspect they'll figure it out given enough time. The good thing that is, unlike new old top gear, they didn't film all of the studio segments before the first one aired, so they can adjust those going forward. All the other segments are already filmed, so aside from re-edits there's not a ton to do there.

I agree that it'd work way better as a barnstorming tour if they spent longer in each place and filmed a full segment in the location before filming in the tent, but I suspect that won't work with the schedules they have. They'll either figure it out or drop it as a gimmick, I guess. Maybe by the end of the show it'll just be pictures behind the window (which will fall down to hilarious effect). Or maybe they'll do more legwork and have better, longer stories about the local car scene and have nice examples in the tent with the audience.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tricky Ed posted:

The good thing that is, unlike new old top gear, they didn't film all of the studio segments before the first one aired, so they can adjust those going forward.

Kinda.

All but three episodes had filmed the studio segments before the first one aired. Nashville filmed last week, giving them a few days after the first airing to make quick adjustments but not replan anything huge. Loch Ness and Dubai have yet to be filmed (this upcoming weekend and the following one). All the rest were done before we had more than trailers.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I like the show. I don't like The American.

I think it would be better if they let him be himself (because some folks here have mentioned he is a great driver IRL and personable) and give some actual insights*
into the cars beyond lap times instead of just being a dumb American redneck parody :heritage:

*which we never got from the Stig, obviously, because he cannot communicate with humans.

Charlize looked very far away not sure it was her. I'd like to see her chat on the couch and show pics of her first 67 VW Beetle or something. :allears:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 28, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The celeb interview segments were Good And Cool and I want them back

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Most of them weren't and good riddance to them.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They should have one last one and have Chris Evans be the celeb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunken officeparty posted:

Sometimes they could be good if it was an international celebrity. If it was just some random British person only a small portion of the global audience had ever heard of, it was lame and everyone skipped it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe if they ever set up another seat at the table.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

Sometimes they could be good if it was an international celebrity. If it was just some random British person only a small portion of the global audience had ever heard of, it was lame and everyone skipped it.

I did like that they were always exactly 10 minutes long, no matter who was on.

Made it so much easier to fast forward.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

I foresee an ongoing bit where the camerae drone gets taken out. First ep - 'shot', second ep - hit by a giraffe.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Just got around to watching ep2 tonight and really didn't enjoy it. I can't stand the American, although the rest of the episode had me pining for the return of three other Americans I'm starting to miss more and more. I think GT will pick up once we get a cheap car challenge though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I think they should bring back the F1 driver in a car thing, but make it so any motorsports driver can take part, and have the car be something not reasonably priced.