Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God was a dream of good government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

SSNeoman posted:

God was a dream of good government

This makes Japanese video games very libertarian.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't love America I just live here.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 27, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I'm proud to be an American. And at least I know I'm free.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RuanGacho posted:

America is merely a step on the path to a more perfect world order.

A world free of sentient, parasitic apes?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

greatn posted:

Well I'm proud to be an American. And at least I know I'm free.

Until the Republicans vote and take that right from me.

And soon we'll all be slaves to them and freedom will be a joke.

Because there ain't no doubt that they hate us all.

God condemn the USA

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Checked in to see what's new, decided I'm too happy right now to read through this depressing thunderstorm of a thread. Advise everyone to go outside or do something that makes them happy today.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mustached Demon posted:

A world free of sentient, parasitic apes?

The people of Cascadia are working very hard to develop themselves into space elves, judging by the focus on aerospace, bio tech and information technology.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Boon posted:

Checked in to see what's new, decided I'm too happy right now to read through this depressing thunderstorm of a thread. Advise everyone to go outside or do something that makes them happy today.

America is dead.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Covok posted:

America is dead.

jfc, get off the internet and get some fresh air outside. America's been through worse.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

What if what makes me happy is panicking on the Internet?
:goonsay:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
"The Alt-Left is real," Barack Obama said in his departing speech earlier. "Goons are real. Business Gorillas is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Makes sense then

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What about if you add the millions who couldn't vote because of racist and restrictive voter laws?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Covok posted:

America is a trash country doomed to fall into disorder and civil war before being promptly forgotten.

It fits.

Nah, there isn't going to be some major breakdown in society over this because the people most likely to be injured by it were powerless to start with.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Spaced God posted:

What about if you add the millions who couldn't vote because of racist and restrictive voter laws?

but GBS and C-SPAM said racism is over :v:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

No loving way

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No loving way

Get used to this feeling I'd say but I think what's left of our humanity dies if we do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

America is dead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Race Realists posted:

Racism towards white people, yeah.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

Hmmm, I wonder which illegal Democrats he is talking about?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Sorry they all got caught off guard by the election and didn't think to get proper voting identification commonly used to buy alcohol and drive.

No one could have seen the election date coming there just wasn't any talk about the election or coverage of any kind.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

spunkshui posted:

Sorry they all got caught off guard by the election and didn't think to get proper voting identification commonly used to buy alcohol and drive.

No one could have seen the election date coming there just wasn't any talk about the election or coverage of any kind.

Yeah that's a good point for some people!
And then there were the places where the place you go for identification was shut down, and the next closest one was an hour away and had its funding cut so it was only open two days a month.

Or you could be in Texas where voter ID was struck down, but people were still turned away for not having voter ID.

But no, you're right yeah those people were just lazy.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
So yeah, between Donald Trump and Kris Kobach, we'll be lucky to see AA turnout in 2020 that comes anywhere close to this year's. And the Democrats lost this year. Three cheers for descent into illiberal democracy!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Yeah that's a good point for some people!
And then there were the places where the place you go for identification was shut down, and the next closest one was an hour away and had its funding cut so it was only open two days a month.

Or you could be in Texas where voter ID was struck down, but people were still turned away for not having voter ID.

But no, you're right yeah those people were just lazy.

Guys, we just need more input from the people of our land who cant figure out how to get an id.

Everything will be fixed!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

spunkshui posted:

Guys, we just need more input from the people of our land who cant figure out how to get an id.

Let's give everyone an ID.

An RFID.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

spunkshui posted:

You are correct, anyone who doesn't have a ridiculous amount of free time and readily available transportation is stupid and should in fact be considered another, lower class of citizen. A second class, if you will.

Like, I know the ingredients for this realization are there. Every dumbass white person I've ever talked to about this agrees with the base propositions that the DMV is dumb and terrible and you have to set aside your whole day to get anything done there, they just can't then make the leap to "and therefore expecting people with fewer resources than myself to do it is bad."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

spunkshui posted:

Or those who don't have the means to travel 60 miles to get an ID from a place that's open 6 hours of the month that 5,000 other people are trying to get id from.

Hey friend can you give me a list of people who you think should vote? Because that list should just be "US citizens over 18" with no hoops to jump through. Because that's democracy

But then you couldn't let people you don't like or people you don't agree with vote, so I can see where you're coming from!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Trump is the greatest modern performance artist.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This can't be real.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HorseRenoir posted:

jfc, get off the internet and get some fresh air outside. America's been through worse.

I'll have you know that this is actually the worst thing that's ever happened in all of history.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He will never stop being mad about not winning the popular vote lol

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

cheese posted:

This can't be real.

Click the date and have your expectations about reality rocket further towards negative infinity.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spaced God posted:

Hey friend can you give me a list of people who you think should vote? Because that list should just be "US citizens over 18" with no hoops to jump through. Because that's democracy

Requiring some form of ID doesn't seem like the most onerous of requirements.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

spunkshui posted:

They couldn't possibly be worse at it than you.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Or those who don't have the means to travel 60 miles to get an ID from a place that's open 6 hours of the month that 5,000 other people are trying to get id from.

But then you couldn't let people you don't like or people you don't agree with vote, so I can see where you're coming from!

Required Identification for Voting in Person

Press Release: Voters who do not possess and cannot reasonably obtain one of the seven forms of approved photo ID have additional options at the polls

Frequently Asked Questions

On August 10, 2016, a federal district court entered an order changing the voter identification requirements for all elections held in Texas after August 10, 2016 until further notice. As a result, voters who possess an acceptable form of photo identification for voting listed below are still required to present it in order to vote in person in all Texas elections. The acceptable form of photo identification may be expired up to four years. Voters who do not possess an acceptable form of photo identification and cannot obtain one of the forms of acceptable photo identification listed below due to a reasonable impediment, may present a supporting form of identification and execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, noting the voter’s reasonable impediment to obtaining an acceptable form of photo identification, and stating that the voter is the same person on the presented supporting form of identification.

This requirement is effective immediately.

Here is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID:

Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States passport
With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place.

Election Identification Certificates are available from DPS driver license offices during regular business hours. Find mobile station locations here.

Here is a list of the supporting forms of ID that can be presented if the voter does not possess one of the forms of acceptable photo ID and cannot obtain one due to a reasonable impediment:

Valid voter registration certificate
Certified birth certificate (must be an original)
Copy of or original current utility bill
Copy of or original bank statement
Copy of or original government check
Copy of or original paycheck
Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph)
After presenting a supporting form of ID, the voter must execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.

Procedures for Voting

When a voter arrives at a polling location, the voter will be asked to present one of the seven (7) acceptable forms of photo ID that is current or expired no more than four years. If a voter does not possess one of the seven (7) acceptable forms of photo ID and cannot obtain one due to a reasonable impediment, the voter may present a supporting form of ID and execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, noting the voter’s reasonable impediment to obtaining an acceptable form of photo ID, and stating that the voter is the same person on the presented form of supporting form of ID.

Election officials will still be required by State law to determine whether the voter’s name on the identification provided matches the name on the official list of registered voters (“OLRV”). After a voter presents their ID, whether it’s an acceptable form of photo ID or a supporting form of ID, the election worker will compare it to the OLRV. If the name on the ID matches the name on the list of registered voters, the voter will follow the regular procedures for voting.

If the name does not match exactly but is “substantially similar” to the name on the OLRV, the voter will be permitted to vote as long as the voter signs an affidavit stating that the voter is the same person on the list of registered voters.

If a voter possesses an acceptable form of photo ID but does not have it at the polling place, the voter will still be permitted to vote provisionally. The voter will have six (6) days to present an acceptable form of photo identification to the county voter registrar, or fill out the natural disaster affidavit referenced in the Exemption/Exceptions section below, or the voter’s ballot will be rejected. Alternatively, a voter who possesses an acceptable form of photo ID but does not have it at the polling place may choose to leave the polling place and return before the close of the polls on election day with said acceptable form of photo ID to, if the voter would otherwise qualify, vote a regular ballot at that time.

Exemption/Exceptions:

Voters with a disability who do not have an acceptable form of photo ID may also apply with the county voter registrar for a permanent exemption. The application must contain written documentation from either the U.S. Social Security Administration evidencing he or she has been determined to have a disability, or from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs evidencing a disability rating of at least 50 percent. In addition, the applicant must state that he or she has no acceptable form of photo identification. Those who obtain a disability exemption will be allowed to vote by presenting a voter registration certificate reflecting the exemption, and will not need to execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration. Please contact your county voter registrar for more details.

Voters who have a consistent religious objection to being photographed and voters who do not present any form of acceptable photo identification as a result of certain natural disasters as declared by the President of the United States or the Texas Governor, may vote a provisional ballot, appear at the voter registrar’s office within six (6) calendar days after election day, and sign an affidavit swearing to the religious objection or natural disaster, in order for your ballot to be counted. Please contact your county voter registrar for more details.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kind of photo identification is required to qualify to vote in person?

The following is a list of acceptable photo IDs at the polling place: Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
United States passport
2. My acceptable photo ID is expired. Will it still work?

With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the acceptable photo identification must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place.

3. What if a voter does not have any of the acceptable forms of photo ID?

If a voter does not possess an acceptable form of photo ID and the voter cannot obtain such ID due to a reasonable impediment, the voter may still cast a regular ballot by presenting a supporting form of ID and executing a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, noting the voter’s reasonable impediment to obtaining an acceptable form of photo ID, and stating that the voter is the same person as the person on the presented form of supporting form of ID.

Here is a list of supporting forms of ID:

Valid voter registration certificate
Certified birth certificate (must be an original)
Copy of or original current utility bill
Copy of or original bank statement
Copy of or original government check
Copy of or original paycheck
Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph)
A permanent exemption is available for voters with documented disabilities who have not obtained one of the acceptable forms of photo ID. Voters with a disability may apply with the county voter registrar for a permanent exemption. The application must contain written documentation from either the U.S. Social Security Administration evidencing the applicant’s disability, or from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs evidencing a disability rating of at least 50 percent. In addition, the applicant must state that he or she has no valid form of acceptable photo ID. Those who obtain a disability exemption will be allowed to vote by presenting a voter registration certificate reflecting the exemption.

If a voter (a) states that they do not possess an acceptable form of photo identification listed above, which is not expired for more than four years, and the voter can reasonably obtain one of these acceptable forms of identification or (b) possesses, but did not bring to the polling place, one of the seven forms of acceptable photo identification listed above, which is not expired for more than four years, the voter may cast a provisional ballot at the polls. However, in order to have the provisional ballot counted, the voter will be required to visit the voter registrar’s office within six calendar days of the date of the election to either present one of the above forms of photo ID OR submit one of the temporary affidavits addressed below (e.g., religious objection or natural disaster) in the presence of the county voter registrar while attesting to the fact that he or she does not have any of the required photo IDs. Alternatively, the voter may choose to leave the polling place and return before the close of the polls on election day with an acceptable form of photo ID to, if they otherwise qualify, vote a regular ballot at that time.

Affidavits are available for voters who have a consistent religious objection to being photographed and for voters who do not present a form of acceptable photo identification as a result of certain natural disasters as declared by the President of the United States or the Texas Governor within 45 days of the day the ballot was cast.

4. What is a reasonable impediment?

Reasonable impediments identified on the Reasonable Impediment Declaration include lack of transportation, disability or illness, lack of birth certificate or other documents needed to obtain acceptable photo ID, work schedule, family responsibilities, lost or stolen photo ID, or photo ID applied for but not received. You may also describe another reasonable impediment you have on the Reasonable Impediment Declaration form.

5. What if a voter does not have any form of ID with them at the polling place and they do not have a disability exemption?

If a voter does not possess an acceptable form of photo ID, and does not have or does not bring a supporting form of ID to present in connection with a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, or if the voter does not have a reasonable impediment to obtaining an acceptable form of photo ID, or if the voter has, but did not bring with them, an acceptable form of photo ID, the voter may cast a provisional ballot at the polls. However, in order to have the provisional ballot counted the voter will be required to visit the county voter registrar’s office within six calendar days of the date of the election to either present an acceptable form of photo ID OR submit one of the temporary affidavits addressed above (religious objection or natural disaster) in the presence of the county voter registrar.

Alternatively, a voter who possesses an acceptable form of photo ID but does not have it at the polling place, or a voter who does not possess an acceptable form of photo ID, and is reasonably able to obtain one, may choose to leave the polling place and return before the close of the polls on election day with an acceptable form of photo ID to vote a regular ballot at that time. In addition, a voter who does not possess, would otherwise not be able to reasonably obtain an acceptable form of photo ID, but did not bring a supporting form of ID to the polling place, may choose to leave the polling place and return before the close of the polls on election day with said supporting form of ID to fill out the Reasonable Impediment Declaration and, if they otherwise qualify, vote a regular ballot at that time.

6. What if my acceptable form of photo ID was lost, stolen, suspended, revoked or is expired more than four years?

A voter whose photo identification has been lost, stolen, suspended, revoked or expired more than four years does not possess one of the acceptable forms of photo ID, and, if the voter cannot reasonably obtain a replacement of the identification that was lost, stolen, suspended, revoked or expired ID or another form of acceptable photo ID, the voter is eligible to present a supporting form of identification, execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, and, assuming they otherwise qualify, vote a regular ballot.

7. My name on my approved photo ID and/or my supporting ID document does not exactly match my name on my voter registration card. Can I still vote?

Election officials will review the ID and if a name is “substantially similar” to the name on their list of registered voters, you will still be able to vote, but you will also have to submit an affidavit stating that you are the same person on the list of registered voters.

8. What does “substantially similar” mean?

A voter’s name is considered substantially similar if one or more of the following circumstances applies:

The name on the ID is slightly different from one or more of the name fields on the official list of registered voters.
The name on the voter’s ID or on list of registered voters is a customary variation of the voter’s formal name. For example, Bill for William, or Beto for Alberto.
The voter’s name contains an initial, middle name, or former name that is either not on the official list of registered voters or on the voter’s ID.
A first name, middle name, former name or initial of the voter’s name occupies a different field on the presented ID document than it does on the list of registered voters.
In considering whether a name is substantially similar, election officials will also look at whether information on the presented ID matches elements of the voter’s information on the official list of registered voters such as the voter’s residence address or date of birth.

9. Is there any change in the process for voting by mail?

There is no change in the process for voting by mail for most voters. Specifically, there is no change in procedure for voters who are voting by mail after their first time voting by mail, and for first time voters who would otherwise not be required to present identification under the federal Help America Vote Act in order to vote by mail.

10. Does the address on my ID have to match my address on the official list of registered voters at the time of voting in order for it to be acceptable as ID?

No. There is no address matching requirement.

11. Is the DPS Election Identification Certificate still going to be available?

Yes. The Election Identification Certificate is now available, and will be still be a form of acceptable photo ID. Information regarding how to obtain an election identification certificate can be found at https://www.dps.texas.gov. You may also contact DPS by telephone at (512) 424-2600 for more information.

We hope you have found this information helpful. Should you need additional information, please contact our office via telephone at 1-800-252-VOTE (8683) or email us.

OR IF NONE OF THOSE WAYS WORK

How to Apply

To apply for an EIC, visit a driver license office and complete an Application for Texas Election Certificate (DL-14C) (PDF) | Application for Texas Election Certificate (Spanish) (DL-14CS) (PDF) .

To qualify for an EIC, you must:

Bring documentation to the office to verify your U.S. Citizenship
Bring documentation to the office to verify your Identity
Be eligible to vote in Texas (Bring your valid voter registration card to the office, or submit a voter registration application through the Texas Department of Public Safety at the office)
Be a Texas resident
Be 17 years and 10 months or older
The information on the documents, such as name and date of birth, must all match. If the name is different on each document, then the individual must provide documents that verify a legal name change. If other information on the document is different, speak with a Customer Service Representative for assistance.

If you are using a name other than what is on your birth certificate, (example: married name), you will be required to show legal documentation of name change. Documents must be original or certified copy. No photocopies can be accepted.

Acceptable documents:

Marriage license
Divorce decree
Court ordered name change
Fingerprints are not taken and warrant checks are not conducted on persons applying for an EIC.

Expiration and Use

An EIC is valid for six years. There is no expiration date for certificates issued to citizens 70 years of age or older.

Election Identification Certificates may only be used for voting purposes. An EIC will not be accepted to verify identity when applying for a Texas driver license or ID card.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/thejoshpatten/status/802975554194599936

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Requiring some form of ID doesn't seem like the most onerous of requirements.

Formal photo ID tends to be state-provided, and these requirements are often in Republican districts, which coincidentally slash the hours at DMV's etc. in poorer/minority-heavy districts to make the process of actually acquiring valid ID as onerous as possible. Then there are all the "errors" that one can find at the polling places to make ID and votes invalid.

It's all about shaving as many voters off the margins as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Formal photo ID tends to be state-provided, and these requirements are often in Republican districts, which coincidentally slash the hours at DMV's etc. in poorer/minority-heavy districts to make the process of actually acquiring valid ID as onerous as possible. Then there are all the "errors" that one can find at the polling places to make ID and votes invalid.

It's all about shaving as many voters off the margins as possible.

Why do democrats have a hard time getting proper identification?

Vs republicans

• Locked thread