Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Note Block posted:

I'm about to breed a couple Beast Ball Goomy, with an attempt at either 4 or 6 perfect IVs, please let me know if you'd like one. Still looking for recommendations on the preferred nature(s). Also looking for suggestions on desirable egg moves, if any.

Modest or Calm probably? Dragon physical attackers are pretty much just "use outrage" and thats boring. I'd like one of those Goomys.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Castform really is a little wish granter isn't it?

I heard you can get literally anything off the GTS for one and yeah I'm pulling UB's and just whatever for the lil marshmallows.

Castform just got me a Celesteela in 3 minutes. Porygon has been similarly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

i poop fire posted:

Modest or Calm probably? Dragon physical attackers are pretty much just "use outrage" and thats boring. I'd like one of those Goomys.

I can do Modest, Calm, Sassy, and Careful. I can also do Adamant if needed. I am breeding Calm Goomy at this moment.

I'd take a Castform or Porygon in return!

Note Block fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Does Synchronize work for forming Zygarde?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Note Block posted:

Interesting! Well they will probably be Calm or Sassy then (perhaps Careful as well).

I will definitely take a HA Paras. I love those big ol bug eyes. Too bad the evolution is yucky.

Paras bred, ready when you are. No preferences for nature, but would like a female one if possible.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I really should spend more time completing the story before trying to pass down egg moves. Still, I wanted to Freeze Dry to a Vulpix since they are cute

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I have a mechanics question, for people in the know. It's about a new move, Speed Swap!

If I use this, does it take effect immediately after it's used, or does it happen the next turn because the speed stack has already been decided for the current turn? Thanks in advance.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So far my team is

Brionne
Grubin
Ghastly
Rockruff

I want to ride these to the endgame, except maybe Ghastly. I'm looking for suggestions to fill out the last two or three spots. I'm thinking I want the new murderbear. Is it good? What gaps does my team have?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Note Block posted:

I can do Modest, Calm, Sassy, and Careful. I can also do Adamant if needed. I am breeding Calm Goomy at this moment.

I'd take a Castform or Porygon in return!

I'll set aside a Castform then, since you can get Porygon by just talking to a dude postgame. Added your FC, mines 3007-8185-2405 IGN: Auto

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

tyblazitar posted:

Paras bred, ready when you are. No preferences for nature, but would like a female one if possible.

Hatching them now. Can you do me a favor and check the IVs for me? I haven't cleared the game yet and I'm curious about them. They should be either perfect or close to it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Note Block posted:

I'm about to breed a couple Beast Ball Goomy, with an attempt at either 4 or 6 perfect IVs, please let me know if you'd like one. Still looking for recommendations on the preferred nature(s). Also looking for suggestions on desirable egg moves, if any.

I'd like one.

And Goodra doesn't really have any good egg moves, except maybe Acid Armor if you want to do that for some reason?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yo, can anyone help me evolve my Charjabug? I figure if I give it a rare candy to hold I can trade it someone who's made it to Poni Canyon (is that the right area) and they can evolve it for me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right, first batch of Calm Regenerator Haze Beast Ball Mareanies is done! They all have 31 IV in Defense and Special Defense, some have some atk and/or spatk 31s, some have ~27-30 HP and/or speed. I figured two perfects and the right ball and egg move and nature and Hidden Ability was sufficient. (Plus I kept the two best ones for future parents.)

I already friended these people:

quote:

5412-9913-6768, Simon
3926-6017-3031, Omoly
5129-2001-9949, Athena
2466-2495-3978, Andrew
2681-0594-7193, a g-g-ghost!
4210-4015-0859, Dani
3325-3410-1572, tyb
3007-8185-2405, Auto
1263-6844-1789, Allison
4081-5905-8562, Stephen
And I can friend YOU TOO if you want one! Yes, you! :justpost: and I'll breed more. FC is 4897-7314-5821 and IGN is Jesus.

If you want a female one, specifically say so, otherwise you're getting a male and you can Ditto it to get a lady parent to inbreed relentlessly. I don't want anything in return, but if you have a HA Sandshrew I'd love it. Or apparently a Castform since it's trade gold.

P.S. unrelated: if you've beaten the game the Porygon is literally a giveaway from the Aether Foundation employee in the right bedroom in Aether House on Route 15 so don't be the guy who trades something good for it

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 27, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok I'm just going to type up a quicklol breeding/minmaxing guide, for the new people or people who didn't get into that and are now going :confused:
This isn't comprehensive and is probably incorrect/outdated in a few areas, sorry.

1)Why should I care?

You should only care about this kind of min max stuff if you plan on battling people online, or doing post-game content like the battle tree or battle royale, because this stuff is tough and you need every boost. When battling online most people will also be using min-maxed pokemon so you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't. If you aren't doing that stuff or you don't plan on it or you don't care about winning then you shouldn't give a poo poo. If you're just going through the main game then you really shouldn't care. In fact you won't have access to most of the tools you'll need to breed and train efficiently.

2)Stats

a)Base Stats

These are determined by the pokemon species. ie. All Raichu have the same base stats, all pidgey have the same base stats, all Arceus have the same base stats. They are the stats the pokemon will have (at level 100) absent any modifiers. You can't change or effect these, just like you can't change typing or move learn pools and what not. Generally legendaries, pseudo-legendaries (ie. Garchomp, Metagross, Dragonite, etc.), fully evolved pokemon, etc. have higher base stats.

b)Natue

Determined by individual pokemon and you can see it when looking at a pokemon (raised stat in red, lowered in blue). They raise one stat by 10% and lower a stat by 10%. No nature effects HP. There are 25 different natures (some are neutral and don't change any stats (count as raising and lowering the same stat)). 10% is a lot and can make quite a difference in a pokemon's effectiveness.
There are four 'main' natures- adamant (+attack, -special attack), modest (+special attack, -attack), jolly (+speed, -s. attack), timid (+speed, -attack). They are desired because most pokemon only use one of the attacking stats anyway, so lowering the unused one is not bad. Some pokemon can be mixed attackers and use both, or are defensive and they'll use different natures.

c) IVs

'individual values' are unique to individual pokemon, like natures. Think of them like 'genetics'. Every pokemon has an IV for every stat, including HP. They range from 0-31 and are added onto the base stats. A potential 31 point range can make some big differences during battle, especially for speed where every point counts, but again in the main game you shouldn't care.
You can't check them during regular play but in the post game you get the means to do so. You can't change them once a pokemon has been captured/hatched but you can breed for them, although there's a new bottle cap mechanic that I'm not 100% sure how it works.
Generally the minimum 'best' is to have 31 IV is your main attacking stat and in speed, but having 31s in HP and both defenses is desirable. More perfect IVs is better for breeding, as well.
Some pokemon want 0 speed (or just low speed), for using gyro ball or for trick room, or having 0 attack in order to minimize damage from confusion.
The move Hidden Power uses IVs to determine its type. Some pokemon use hidden power for type coverage and need specific IV spreads to get the right HP type.

d) EVs

commonly known as 'effort values' this is like a sort of specialized training. Every pokemon, when defeated, will give an EV point towards a specific stat (or sometimes two or more points), usually based on its 'best' base stat. ie. Zubat is fast, so beating it gives a speed EV.
At level 100, four EVs is equivalent to one actual stat point (ie. 100 EVs equals 25 stat points). A pokemon can have 510 EV points total, and up to 252 EVs in an individual stat (so enough to max two stats, put 4 EVs into another and have 2 left over). So a garchomp with 252 EV trained in attack and speed will have 63 points higher in both those stats.
EV spreads can vary. The most common and most basic for beginners is 252 in speed and 252 in an attacking stat, but defensive pokemon want something different (usually max their best defense and hp), and when you really start getting into it you'll see more specific spreads made for fighting specific common threats. (ie. if garchomp can reach a max of X speed, and you only need 152 EVs in speed to beat that, then instead of going the full 252 you can put the 'extra' 100 elsewhere)

3) Breeding

To breed you take a female pokemon plus a male of a matching egg group (look those up I can't replicate them) and put them in the day care OR take a pokemon, male or female or neither plus a ditto and now you got an egg that will be the female/non-ditto species. Pokemon are not incest-adverse and you can breed one with its parents or siblings. Gross, but convenient. You can't breed most legendaries.

a) Abilities

Most abilities are determined by species, or are just 50/50 random, but some are worth breeding for, especially the hidden abilities. Basically get a pokemon with a hidden ability, and then... breed it, and it will have a chance (80% for females, 20% for males with Ditto) of passing down the ability.

b) Nature

You can breed for nature by equipping an everstone on the parent whose nature you want to pass down and it will be guaranteed. If both parents have an everstone it is random between them.

c) Egg moves

Some pokemon can get moves they wouldn't otherwise get by breeding their mother with a father from another species who knows the move. When it hatches it will have know that move automatically. Sometimes you have to do very long chains of X to Y to Z to A to get the move onto the pokemon you want. You can move reminder an egg move, provided the pokemon did actually know it, I think.

d) IVs

A bred pokemon will inherit 3 random IVs from its parents (so it picks 3 stats out of the combined pool of 12 to inherent, and will rng its other 3).
Equipping one of the power items you can buy from battle royale/battle tree on one of the parents will guarantee that stat will be passed down.
Equipping a destiny knot on will cause it to inherit 5 IVs instead of 3.
I'd say you want to go from power items to destiny knot once you have parents with majority max IVs. (You kind of swap a child with good nature/ability/IVs in for one of the parents and repeat that process).

You can see how trying to breed for natures, abilities and IVs can get very complex, with lots of rng. Nothing like getting the right nature, 5 perfects IVs but the wrong ability.

e) Pokeballs

Some people are vain and want their pokemon to live luxuriously or pop out in a puff of cool smoke or are insane and want everything in beast balls to prove their prowess and determination. When breeding, the mother (or father when with a ditto) will pass along their ball to their offspring. If both parents are the same species its random between them.

4) EV Training

Slow version- go beat up a bajillion things of the type you want. There will soon be guides for the best pokemon and spots for each stat, if there aren't already.
Slightly faster- chain s.o.s battles to guarantee you're getting the right pokemon, at least.
Faster- equipping macho brace doubles all EV gains.
More fast- equpping a power item gives a whopping 4 EVs for that stat, in addition to whatever stats the pokemon usually gives. So you could get 5+ evs in one go.

Ludicrous fast- Pokerus is a rare condition. Like... super rare. Shiny chance rare.. You get it by battling a wild pokemon that has it. There's no indication until you go to a pokemon center. Once a pokemon has pokerus, they are infectious and pass it to adjacent pokemon in your party after battles. The infectious phase ends at midnight iirc, unless they are in a box.
Pokerus DOUBLES all EV gains, and is very desirable. Trade with someone who has it, then box that pokemon all the time except when you need to spread it.

With a power item and pokerus you can get 10+ EVs per pokemon defeated, meaning you can max out a stat's EVs in only ~25 battles instead of 250 or whatever.

There's also the vitamins which will boost EVs, up to a point, but they're expensive and limited.

There's also an island on the poke pelago and I dunno I think a festival stall that lets you passively EV train, but I haven't looked into that much yet.

Gen 6 had the best EV training with horde battles, imo.

There you go. I feel like I forgot a bunch, or whatever, but yeah, maybe this will help, or convince people not to bother, which is also very helpful.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 27, 2016

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

i poop fire posted:

Castform just got me a Celesteela in 3 minutes. Porygon has been similarly ridiculous.

It took about six hours for a Porygon to get me a Lunala. I already traded for the ultra beasts not in my game, all of which were in minutes like yours, so I guess it's time to see if Porygons are good enough for the Tapus.

The Porygon line is my favorite, it's nice to see them being so wanted.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dont shoot the messenger

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Note Block posted:

Hatching them now. Can you do me a favor and check the IVs for me? I haven't cleared the game yet and I'm curious about them. They should be either perfect or close to it.
Online now! And yes, will do!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All right, first batch of Calm Regenerator Haze Beast Ball Mareanies is done! They all have 31 IV in Defense and Special Defense, some have some atk and/or spatk 31s, some have ~27-30 HP and/or speed. I figured two perfects and the right ball and egg move and nature and Hidden Ability was sufficient. (Plus I kept the two best ones for future parents.)

And I can friend YOU TOO if you want one! Yes, you! :justpost: and I'll breed more. FC is 4897-7314-5821 and IGN is Jesus.

If you want a female one, specifically say so, otherwise you're getting a male and you can Ditto it to get a lady parent to inbreed relentlessly. I don't want anything in return, but if you have a HA Sandshrew I'd love it. Or apparently a Castform since it's trade gold.

P.S. unrelated: if you've beaten the game the Porygon is literally a giveaway from the Aether Foundation employee in the right bedroom in Aether House on Route 15 so don't be the guy who trades something good for it

I would love one of these. FC is 0001-3312-4455, IGN is Rhoga

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

For EVs I should add that one time I was EV training a Gallade and I got like +50 attack or something ridiculous like that on level up, so if you like massive and heroic power surges like that I suggest you give it a try.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
My Tapu Koko has Hidden Power: Electric. :saddowns:

Thats not hidden at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would love these too.

Reposting FC, I gue- Jesus? Do I have you already?

*checks*

Yes. Yes I do. Neat. IGN Estelle.

But I'll repost my FC anyway, just because. 1891-1454-3807

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Almost done hatching, guys! I'll be online in just a second.

DACK FAYDEN, you never said what you wanted in return, so you're getting a probably perfect Beastly Goomy :3: I would like a female Mareanie, if possible. I have a JPN male so I would like to breed with a ENG female.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 27, 2016

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

i'm enjoying my non-ha mareanie, so trying out a regenerator would be nice. 4768-7629-8819

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I have a question! I have been working on making a full dog team for sometime now, and with Sun and Moon the team can be easily completed. However...the problem stems from the fact I'm not quite sure what type Silvally should have, as I want to have good coverage and the such

I was thinking of either Poison or Psychic, but what do you guys think could be best?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
tyb, I'm trade requesting you so you should accept!

Supremezero posted:

I would love these too.

Reposting FC, I gue- Jesus? Do I have you already?

*checks*

Yes. Yes I do. Neat. IGN Estelle.

But I'll repost my FC anyway, just because. 1891-1454-3807

rhoga posted:

I would love one of these. FC is 0001-3312-4455, IGN is Rhoga
Added you two, I'll breed more once I'm done getting the people who are online right now.

(also, thanks Auto for the Castform :3:)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My level 32 vikavolt has two times the sp atk than atk, going 100 something and 50 something. Went with bug buzz instead of x scissor because drat

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dogbutt posted:

I have a question! I have been working on making a full dog team for sometime now, and with Sun and Moon the team can be easily completed. However...the problem stems from the fact I'm not quite sure what type Silvally should have, as I want to have good coverage and the such

I was thinking of either Poison or Psychic, but what do you guys think could be best?

Psychic isn't really the god type it was in Gen 1 anymore. Steel would be good.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, finally.

It only took 2 big nuggets, a pearl string, a balm shroom, 3 leftovers, 12 sun stones, 7 moon stones, and a fuckload of repels and potions.

Maybe just give the player a destiny knot like you have for the last 3 generations next time, Gamefreak.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody here have a snow warning vulpix in a dive ball? I have three moon version exclusive ultra beasts and an eggexcute with it's hidden ability up for trade.

FC: 5129-5306-3661 IGN is Kane.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Those who are about to receive Calm beastly Goomy, do you prefer male or female, Sap Sipper or Hydration? Please let me know.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

tyb, I'm trade requesting you so you should accept!
Weird, I sent some requests too and it said you declined. Thanks for the Mareanie!

Note Block posted:

Those who are about to receive Calm beastly Goomy, do you prefer male or female, Sap Sipper or Hydration? Please let me know.
Female, any ability.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Note Block posted:

DACK FAYDEN, you never said what you wanted in return, so you're getting a probably perfect Beastly Goomy :3: I would like a female Mareanie, if possible. I have a JPN male so I would like to breed with a ENG female.
Goomy sounds great, and I'll keep a lady on lockdown for Athena! (gender and ability don't matter, I can handle those on my own!)

Blhue posted:

i'm enjoying my non-ha mareanie, so trying out a regenerator would be nice. 4768-7629-8819
Added to the list. I'll breed more as soon as I'm done trading with the members of the first wave that are online.

Flopsy posted:

Anybody here have a snow warning vulpix in a dive ball? I have three moon version exclusive ultra beasts and an eggexcute with it's hidden ability up for trade.

I have one in a Premier Ball (the pure white one you get when you buy 10 Poke Balls) if you want that, but I don't have Dive :(

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Appreciated, Kojei

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(also, thanks Auto for the Castform :3:)

:thumbsup:

Still hatching more. I'm going to end up finishing my pokedex by riding Tauros in circles.

Note Block posted:

Sap Sipper preferred unless you're hiding a Gooey in there somewhere.

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 28, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

I'll take that eggexcute off your hands! I have HA Vulpix in Dive Ball with Freeze-dry+Moonblast. You'll have to give me about half an hour though, I'm currently trading Goomy.

(I can also immediately breed the eggexcute for DACK FAYDEN if he's interested since it seems I might be stealing it from him)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Note Block posted:

I'll take that eggexcute off your hands! I have HA Vulpix in Dive Ball with Freeze-dry+Moonblast. You'll have to give me about half an hour though, I'm currently trading Goomy.

(I can also immediately breed the eggexcute for DACK FAYDEN if he's interested since it seems I might be stealing it from him)
Nah, I just thought I'd offer, if someone has the ball they want that's way better! I don't actually care about Exeggcute, I just like being helpful.

edit: Was that Ditto SHINY?! If you were a pokemon, you'd be Haxorus.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Supremezero posted:

Psychic isn't really the god type it was in Gen 1 anymore. Steel would be good.

That sounds good, thank you!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

i poop fire posted:

:thumbsup:

Still hatching more. I'm going to end up finishing my pokedex by riding Tauros in circles.

Sap Sipper preferred unless you're hiding a Gooey in there somewhere.

Gamefreak is hiding Gooey from me. I've done several 2-3 hour long chains for Gooey and no dice.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nah, I just thought I'd offer, if someone has the ball they want that's way better! I don't actually care about Exeggcute, I just like being helpful.

edit: Was that Ditto SHINY?! If you were a pokemon, you'd be Haxorus.

I GOT IT OFF THE GTS

(my decideye and vulpix were also shiny)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Note Block posted:

I GOT IT OFF THE GTS

(my decideye and vulpix were also shiny)
I assume it's the old 6 IV shiny "caught in the wild"?

also omg this sneasel is shiny it's gorgeous I don't even care it's so pink it's like a Sonic the Hedgehog character, Estelle you're the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
tyblazitar, Vanilla Ice is not a Paras!