Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Asperity posted:

Also, you should not use a knife instead of a stylus. Pretty sure I've seen some DSes where that was a problem for someone.

They were probably just trying to clear Jumpin' Jack Flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

What's a good brand of replacement stylus? I have an Old 3DSXL and i'd like something that fits flush with the device like the one it came with.

The kind they sell at Nintendo's online replacement part store. Get whatever replacement you need and also a big drat DSi XL one. For the big drat DSi XL one, if you have all black (or blue, they're out now, apparently) I don't know what to tell you, except that the New 3DS XL 'black' goes really well with the bronze DSi XL stylus color-wise.

obi_ant posted:

Do I need a screen protector? Screen protectors are lame.

For the New 3DS / XL? :shrug:

A top one might be nice if you're worried about specking where the frame of the bottom screen might hit the top screen - which apparently still happens sometimes but I haven't noticed it - but Nintendo's own styluses :banjo: are soft enough that they won't mess your touchscreen membrane up much (unless you try to play EBA on it like a madman). Screen protectors do alter touch sensitivity, though; even resistance-based screens change how force is distributed. I'm not really a fan.

You can only buy them together, but they're cheap enough.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 27, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

First screen protector on my 'new' XL I managed to wear a deep gouge into when I guess I picked up a grain of sand or something under the stylus, wouldn't have liked to do that to the screen so it did its job. Never managed to make another mark on it, but the top protector did get a bezel line. There's really no reason not to have one on.

Replacement styluses, the ZedLabz ones on Amazon are good.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Another neat trick to instantly find which zone the monster is in: Look for a balloon in the sky. Use the wave gesture toward it and the guy in the balloon will briefly mark the monster on your map.

:confused: the gently caress monster hunter

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

zolthorg posted:

:confused: the gently caress monster hunter

Since the first game.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Asperity posted:

I will say that if you plan to play any variety of Picross, a screen protector is probably a good idea. That game rewards a whole lot of tapping at the same two or three spots on the screen (and fast enough that you might not notice that your stylus has a grain of sand or whatever on it.)

Unless you use the button controls, obviously.

Personally I prefer the button controls, but then I'm pretty much a newbie to Picross games (played through Twilight Princess Picross and then most of Mario's Picross, Picross E and E2, and Picross DS). There's something really satisfying about the button controls.

edit: I also agree with the sentiment that a screen protector is not necessary.

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 28, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Nah you don't need a screen protector at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fire Emblem is a really good game so far, but some of the mechanics are very strange to me. Inventory management and classes didn't make any sense for a while. I still don't really understand class changes.

Promotions (with a master seal) are essentially level 21+ for your characters. They're a big upgrade and you should typically wait until level 20 to use one because second tier classes gain exp much slower (though since Awakening allows infinite levels this isn't really a big deal).

Second seals let you change class to something on the same tier if you're at least level 10. You can downgrade from second to first tier classes with these but people rarely do that. Second seals are generally for hopping on the skill train; first tier classes learn skills at levels 1 and 10, second tier at levels 5 and 15. Note that special classes like Villager and Dancer work a bit differently, and that Donny needs to be anything besides a villager way more than he needs Villager's second lovely skill

People will typically suggest using second seals at level 10 until you have all the skills you want, then master seal at 20, then continuing to second seal at 15 for max skill spreads. You don't need max skill spreads. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, don't worry about it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
So this is the first time I've seen this happen, but Amazon currently has the digital download of Ocarina of Time for 20% off ($16).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3K7SIK/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&th=1

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

amazon delivered my $99 3DS today and it was promptly stolen from my doorstep

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The internet told me that you're guaranteed to find the cheap Gameboy in stores in the middle of nowhere but I don't think that's right because I couldn't

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Why not buy some OEM ones?

dont be mean to me posted:

The kind they sell at Nintendo's online replacement part store. Get whatever replacement you need and also a big drat DSi XL one. For the big drat DSi XL one, if you have all black (or blue, they're out now, apparently) I don't know what to tell you, except that the New 3DS XL 'black' goes really well with the bronze DSi XL stylus color-wise.

Thanks, y'all. I didn't want to spend a lot though, so I just bought a DSi XL normal stylus in pink, fitting flush or matching colors be damned.

Honestly, I was using one of those cheap telescoping normal-3DS styluses that come with the screen protectors in Walmart so I don't really mind if it fits, just as long as it doesn't scratch the screen. Might get one of those gigantic DSi XL styluses the next time around though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So this is the last time i listen to my friend when it comes to game purchases.

He got Mario Party Star Rush and i was ready to like the game when he mentioned there was no car and while it wasen't quite like the old games board game set up, it was close enough and still has the cool boss battles from 9 and 10.
Weeeeeell turns out he has kinda bad tastes in games. Despite my comment about the car above i do enjoy Mario Party 9 and 10. Star Rush just feels like they coulden't decide what the replacement for the car was going to be so they shoved in like 5 different game modes as a compromise. Granted i don't have them all unlocked yet but i don't really feel the urge to go back in to play it again since everything just feels kind of off.

Plus none of the minigames i played were all that great and what hell is the point of Mario Party without good minigames at the very least?

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Wow, Monster Hunter Generations is hard. I can't defeat the Great Maccao from the first tier of Guild missions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's pretty bad and I think Island Tour is better. I don't know why it seems so difficult for a good Mario Party game to be made. Just give us some regular boards again that don't require us to tap an amiibo each turn to move.:bang:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A good Mario Party game is hewn from the very essence of spite and malice, poisoning every relationship it touches. It should not be about mutual cooperation, it should be a race to the absolute nadir of friendship.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A good Mario Party game is hewn from the very essence of spite and malice, poisoning every relationship it touches. It should not be about mutual cooperation, it should be a race to the absolute nadir of friendship.

Oh there's still plenty of that in 10, since it's more like you are constantly passive aggresive to each other all the time.

"Well sorry Steve it looks like you're gonna be the one that's gonna lose 10 of your mini stars because i only rolled a 5 and not a 6. The game doesn't seem to care that you were already in last place anyway"

Hell Star Rush can't even really do that right either since in terms of making people hate each other you've got the "no you move X amount of spaces less" (possibly down to not being able to move at all) item and then there's one where you just fling your friend to whatever corner of the map the game decides and which direction and how far you go.

That's about it as far as i could see.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Aging Millenial posted:

Wow, Monster Hunter Generations is hard. I can't defeat the Great Maccao from the first tier of Guild missions.

Guild missions are intended for multiplayer although they can be beaten solo. The monsters have more HP so you're going to have to craft some better weapons and learning the game. You should definitely concentrate on Village quests first.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aging Millenial posted:

Oh Jesus, no solo-ing Guild quests is for crazy people, or at least people properly geared up who know the game well. If you're just learning the game, just stick to the Village quests unless you have friends to play with. Do try the multiplayer, though. As fun as Monster Hunter is by yourself, it is so much more enjoyable with other people.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the hinge on my screen is a little loose. like it snaps into place but then its free to wiggle there. is that a problem or is it to be expected

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the hinge on my screen is a little loose. like it snaps into place but then its free to wiggle there. is that a problem or is it to be expected

Expected.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've never owned a 3DS, but just got the new 99 dollar one as a gift for someone. Been browsing the thread the past few days, and I've seen grips mentioned multiple times. Do most people get hand cramps when trying to play for an extended period of time? Is there a recommended best grip for the non-XL 3DS?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Megasabin posted:

I've never owned a 3DS, but just got the new 99 dollar one as a gift for someone. Been browsing the thread the past few days, and I've seen grips mentioned multiple times. Do most people get hand cramps when trying to play for an extended period of time? Is there a recommended best grip for the non-XL 3DS?

Nah, skip it. Grips really aren't all that common, and impossible to find for that size 3DS in stores. Buy them a game instead (despite being all Mario branded, the $99 N3DS doesn't come with a Mario game or any game.) You can't go wrong with the new Pokémon (Sun or Moon.)

Best grip for N3DS, though, is made by Hori and costs too much.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 28, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Play with your 3DS for a couple dozen hours before you decide whether or not you need a grip - if you find you get hand cramps easily, consider buying one, but otherwise there's no point.

I've got no issues playing a n3DSXL for extended period of times but the Vita 2000 gives me cramps after an hour or so, for example. I bought grips for both and the 3DS grip gives me cramps after 20 minutes whereas the Vita grip lets me play without cramps for hours.

Your mileage will vary on all of this so it's not worth worrying about it at the start.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 28, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they want to make a Mario Party where Amiibos are used for it at least make the characters from the Amiibos playable

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it simply a matter of pride that they won't return to the Hudson formula that people actually liked? Make one of those, make it move a little faster.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
All Mario Party games are garbage

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I like Star Rush, but some of that may be based on that it reminds me of canned pasta products when I play it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Soul Glo posted:

The 64 ones were loving golden age couch multiplayer. The only thing that pulled us off of Mario Kart and Goldeneye really. Everything after the 64 is garbage though.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Soul Glo posted:

remember kids

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Good thing I didn't buy 7th Dragon for $30 from Nintendo yet because now Best Buy has it for $25.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I like all the Mario Partys because I enjoy my friends' company

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mario party 2? Well that's one of the all time greats, if you ask me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tfw you get stuck in an endless loop of people calling hootenannys

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

psychoJ posted:

remember kids

The music in at least one of the stages in #7 is the stuff of madness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBWudYieCM

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the consensus on Etrian Mystery Dungeon? I like the mainline games, and generally like roguelikes.

Also, what about Final Fantasy Explorers? It's cheap on Amazon and looks like a fun Monster Hunter-lite/single player MMO style game?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

LODGE NORTH posted:

I like my friends' company which is why I don't make them play Mario Party

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the consensus on Etrian Mystery Dungeon? I like the mainline games, and generally like roguelikes.

Also, what about Final Fantasy Explorers? It's cheap on Amazon and looks like a fun Monster Hunter-lite/single player MMO style game?

I was super pumped about Final Fantasy Explorers for like 2 weeks, and then stopped giving a poo poo entirely, like flipping a light switch. The job system and MMO-lite stuff is okay, but at some point you realize that there's only a handful of bosses to fight, and the fights aren't very interesting.

If you've ever raided in WoW, imagine a WoW raid boss, but even less fun and also ez-mode for babies. You basically keep your DPS flowing and don't stand in the fire. I don't think the 3DS really has anything to be considered a Monster Hunter-lite, and anything that's described itself as such is lying. All the other hunting action games are in the Playstation ecosystem.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Bottom Liner posted:

Almost everything it takes from the Etrians series makes it worse at being a good roguelike. It's decent for a maingame playthrough, especially if you run solo with like the Wanderer class or something, but not really worth the money and also the postgame is hot rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Everyone seems to have Mario Party 10 but it's my favorite because I can play as Bowser and obliterate my children playing as the hapless mario gang.
Not only is it fun, but it keeps them in line and reminds them who's boss.