Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

cravius posted:

Removing formulas based on 40 year old data is common sense

This is a huge rhetorical shift. It does not back up your claim that the VRA was not gutted when you say that it deserved to be gutted on account of being 40 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

cravius posted:

yes, some states were bad 60 years ago so they should be discriminated against forever. seems like sound logic

The republicans making it easier to maintain power by disenfranchising voters is real. The dems want to maintain their own power by getting as many people to vote as possible. That's a thing too.

It has to do with racism in part, but it also has to do with demographics. If 90% of a population in an area doesn't vote for you and threatens your power to get elected it is in your interest to make sure to depress their turnout or make sure that their votes don't effect you by pushing them into other districts. By splitting these people into discreet groups, concentrating their numbers where they won't effect you and disenfranchising those you can't deal with you are able to maintain your power.

I live in the South. Attitudes have changed, but not as much as you think. Racism is still here and thriving. People can't be as blatant as "How many bubbles are in this bar of soap?" which was a real test to vote that was applied to black people. Instead they keep the DMV's closed or just straight up purge you from voter registries. Or they just close down enough of the lines until you have to wait hours on a day that you are not guaranteed to have off.

Voter fraud happens, but the impact is so small and the consequences so awful that it's barely a thing. You're looking at dozens to hundreds statewide in any election. Not statistically significant. Election fraud however is massive and real. Anyone blind to election fraud isn't paying attention.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 28, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
*takes the guy who says voter rights discriminate against the south seriously*

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Joe-Bob posted:

This is a huge rhetorical shift. It does not back up your claim that the VRA was not gutted when you say that it deserved to be gutted on account of being 40 years old.

No it really isn't. Removing the unconstitutional clauses does not "gut" the whole VRA :)

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering the first move after the VRA was partially struck was North Carolina moving to limit access of African Americans to the right to vote, YES.

Maybe not forever, but this new data should be good for at least another 40 years.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kilroy posted:

Reminder that this is the strategy which helped them get their asses handed to them in 2010 and 2014 (and 2016), and made 2012 a disappointing year overall as well. If this election prompts the DNC to start doing the things again that ten years ago delivered them the House and Senate and the majority of statehouses and governorships, then we can take that as a peanut in what is otherwise the heaping pile of poo poo that is the year 2016.
Excuse me, Howard Dean is a neoliberal healthcare lobbyist so he is now persona non grata. Please report for re-education.

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

cravius posted:

No it really isn't. Removing the unconstitutional clauses does not "gut" the whole VRA :)

Whether the clause is unconstitutional or not is totally irrelevant to the question of whether or not the law has been gutted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cravius posted:

yeah this didnt happen
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/us/north-carolina-voting-rights.html

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Don't see anything in there specifically targeting African Americans. Sorry

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i thought this sunday was going to be a stinker but the lord has blessed me by providing a guy spouting off 1960s conservative talking points as a bit to rile people up, against whom i may sharpen my rhetorical wit

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

cravius posted:

Don't see anything in there specifically targeting African Americans. Sorry

Actually it does. Read it again, stupid?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
This is probably going to seem like a stupid as hell question, but is the right to vote something that is explicitly constitutionally protected?

If so, how do people justify purging voter rolls and imposing restrictions?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sorus posted:

States Rights, literally. States have the right to periodically update the rolls to remove felons, the dead, etc, as well as further determine who is eligible to vote. Some states enfranchised women far before they nationally got the right to vote in 1920.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Feral Integral posted:

Actually it does. Read it again, stupid?

Nope still don't see it. Some of the people who happened to be targeted included some African Americans, but where's the language specifically restricting black voting. Thats what was claimed.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sorus posted:

This is probably going to seem like a stupid as hell question, but is the right to vote something that is explicitly constitutionally protected?

Yes, it's in the 14th Amendment that people have the right to vote for President, the House (not the Senate), and state executive/legislative positions.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cravius posted:

Nope still don't see it. Some of the people who happened to be targeted included some African Americans, but where's the language specifically restricting black voting. Thats what was claimed.

Sublinked in the article:

quote:

North Carolina’s Republican-controlled legislature rewrote the state’s voting rules in 2013 shortly after the Supreme Court struck down a section of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 that had given the Justice Department the power to oversee changes in election procedures in areas with a history of racial discrimination. Forty of the state’s 100 counties had been subject to oversight.

Civil rights advocates and the Justice Department had sued to block the law, but a Federal District Court judge upheld it in April, writing that the state’s “significant, shameful past discrimination” had largely abated in the last 25 years.

On Friday, the three-judge panel emphatically disagreed, saying the lower court’s amply documented ruling had failed to consider “the inextricable link between race and politics in North Carolina.”

The judges noted that Republican leaders had drafted their restrictions on voting only after receiving data indicating that African-Americans would be the voters most significantly affected by them.

“We cannot ignore the record evidence that, because of race, the legislature enacted one of the largest restrictions of the franchise in modern North Carolina history,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/u...&pgtype=article

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Republicans don't regard voter suppression laws as restricting minority voting rights because they don't see race

Democrats are the real racists for thinking minorities aren't capable of following the rules to vote

(Actual right wing media argument for voter suppression)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cravius posted:

The legislature specifically requested information on what factors increased the African-American share of the vote, and then restricted these exact factors. If you are trying to argue that this is a coincidence, I don't know what to tell you.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that's one implication you can draw I guess. But that's a lot different from "explicitly limiting the ability of black people to vote." Cause that didn't happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cravius posted:

Yeah that's one implication you can draw I guess. But that's a lot different from "explicitly limiting the ability of black people to vote." Cause that didn't happen.
Oh my god you're so loving stupid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Back in the 60s very few places in the South explicitly prevented black people from voting either. They used things like literacy tests, poll fees, etc. Things that could filter out all the black people without explicitly targeting them. This is not a new thing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god you're so loving stupid.

Or trolling.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Not to mention the VRA including section 2 was reauthorized in 2006 with a vote of 390 - 33 in the house and 98 - 0 in the Senate per congress.gov so the idea that that section was too old and outdated is ridiculous. Congress had the opportunity to update it less than a decade before and they overwhelmingly decided not to.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

citybeatnik posted:

Or trolling.

Most easily trolled forum, after all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Article 1 Section 4 of the Constitution makes clear that the Congress can pass any law it wants to regulate federal elections. It could pass a law that requires all ballots for Congressional elections in Kansas to be made of tree bark, if it wanted. The VRA, which Congress passed, repeatedly, was much more reasonable and the court had no right to intervene.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Joementum posted:

Article 1 Section 4 of the Constitution makes clear that the Congress can pass any law it wants to regulate federal elections. It could pass a law that requires all ballots for Congressional elections in Kansas to be made of tree bark, if it wanted. The VRA, which Congress passed, repeatedly, was much more reasonable and the court had no right to intervene.

Wouldn't that be balanced with the 14th and 19th amendments WRT most jurisprudences?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

cravius posted:

There's nothing in the White Citizen's Council that specifically said it banned black people, maybe they weren't a bad idea?!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bip Roberts posted:

Wouldn't that be balanced with the 14th and 19th amendments WRT most jurisprudences?

It's true that Congress cannot make a law to restrict the vote to peoples granted it under the 14th and 19th, but that's obviously also not what the VRA did. Also, Congress is not allowed to pick the place where voting for Senators occurs, a legacy of when they were chosen by state legislatures that's technically still operative.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cravius posted:

I'm the people unironically arguing that the laws of the land should apply to certain states differently than others

I agree, VRA should apply to all states because there are alot of oligarchists in the states who should be facing labor camps.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

cravius posted:

I'm the people unironically arguing that the laws of the land should apply to certain states differently than others

Agree, federal preclearance should apply to all states.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can't decide if stupid or trilling hrmmmm

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the entire voter id controversy could be avoided if whites were in favor of compulsory ID laws where the government registers everyone living here and gives out a free ID for all government related services. unfortunately for some reason white people hate that idea

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Peven Stan posted:

the entire voter id controversy could be avoided if whites were in favor of compulsory ID laws where the government registers everyone living here and gives out a free ID for all government related services. unfortunately for some reason white people hate that idea

Because it's communism

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spunkshui posted:

Only thing it does is make democrats look like huge hypocrites.

Like most of the things they do.

"Every vote matters! We want super delegates in our primary!"

To be fair, if the GOP had superdelegates we wouldn't have President-Elect Donald Trump, so maybe it's not all that bad an idea. :v:

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Getting Snowden back will be Trump's big move in his first days of office, Russia only tolerates him to use as a bargaining piece.

Trump: Thanks again for leaking those e-mails! That bitch didn't know what hit her!
Snowden: Um...I think you're thinking of Assange.
Trump: ...gently caress!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering the first move after the VRA was partially struck was North Carolina moving to limit access of African Americans to the right to vote, YES.

And to follow up on this, NC still disenfranchised thousands of black voters through a loving ridiculous positive affirmation scheme where Person A challenges Person B's eligibility to vote, and it's on Person B to refute and provide evidence to the contrary of Person A's dumbass claim.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Abisteen posted:

Not to mention the VRA including section 2 was reauthorized in 2006 with a vote of 390 - 33 in the house and 98 - 0 in the Senate per congress.gov so the idea that that section was too old and outdated is ridiculous. Congress had the opportunity to update it less than a decade before and they overwhelmingly decided not to.

Noes posted:

King (IA)

lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ice Phisherman posted:

The republicans making it easier to maintain power by disenfranchising voters is real. The dems want to maintain their own power by getting as many people to vote as possible. That's a thing too.

It has to do with racism in part, but it also has to do with demographics. If 90% of a population in an area doesn't vote for you and threatens your power to get elected it is in your interest to make sure to depress their turnout or make sure that their votes don't effect you by pushing them into other districts. By splitting these people into discreet groups, concentrating their numbers where they won't effect you and disenfranchising those you can't deal with you are able to maintain your power.

I live in the South. Attitudes have changed, but not as much as you think. Racism is still here and thriving. People can't be as blatant as "How many bubbles are in this bar of soap?" which was a real test to vote that was applied to black people. Instead they keep the DMV's closed or just straight up purge you from voter registries. Or they just close down enough of the lines until you have to wait hours on a day that you are not guaranteed to have off.

Voter fraud happens
, but the impact is so small and the consequences so awful that it's barely a thing. You're looking at dozens to hundreds statewide in any election. Not statistically significant. Election fraud however is massive and real. Anyone blind to election fraud isn't paying attention.

Voter fraud happens the same way me and Huma Abedin going steady happens: through wishing on a shooting star and then crying profusely into a pillow night after night, alone.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phone posted:

Voter fraud happens the same way me and Huma Abedin going steady happens: through wishing on a shooting star and then crying profusely into a pillow night after night, alone.
Voter fraud happened this election!

...for instance, the woman who voted for Trump twice because she thought her first vote would get changed to Hillary. But not the second? Somehow? I'm not really sure what her motivation was, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Of course cravius is making a "racism ended in the '60s, why do we still need the VRA?" argument, he iirc also was the guy who said we should get rid of birthright citizenship. Gee, this is totally a person who understands what institutional racism is and is arguing in good faith, guys.

Anyhow arguing in favor of voter ID laws is like arguing in favor of anti-welfare fraud laws. It's an overreaching solution to a minuscule problem that just so happens to massively limit the ability of the poor to use government services and saves rich white people money.

• Locked thread