Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

our emperor has heard that we really need a show about the youth rebelling against nationalism and imperialism right now and will return yeeeeeeeeeeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy gently caress, is it true?

Are we really getting more Lelouch???????

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime of the year

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Namtab posted:

Just because the director said it doesn't make it true.

well, who knows, he could have been dead at the time.

The name is "Lelouch of the Ressurection" after all.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wielder posted:

I have mixed feelings about this, to be quite honest, but I am definitely going to watch. I am curious about whether the staff is going to change or not though.

On the one hand, I've always thought that Code Geass didn't need a sequel after the ending of R2. It feel right.

If the new project turns out to be disappointing, I will just have to pretend it never happened and stick with that conclusion.

On the other hand, this does allow them to explore what kind of fallout and unforeseen consequences resulted from Zero Requiem.

It's also possible those compilation movies will "fix" or at least avoid some of the issues with the original plot and cover up holes in the process (plus maybe include elements from Oz or Akito too).

The title is apparently "Lelouch of the Resurrection" or something along those lines, so they might come up with a radical new way to bring him back.

Ya I agree that the sequel is kinda out of nowhere because R2 had a great ending imo. It closed all the story threads and even left out some ambiguity at the end as to if Lelouch was alive or not.(cart driver scene)

I hope it is a tv series because the fun of watching Code Geass week to week was because of all the cliffhanger endings in each episode. Well after a while it got annoying but in season 1 it was done just right without being too bothersome.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to see what happens to Shirley this time!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

I can't wait to see what happens to Shirley this time!

I presume she remains rotting in her grave.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the resurrection is actually shirley

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

This kind of non-believer also once said that the Emperor had fallen, trust him not!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if Lelouch will return and gain a new golden form.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wonder if Lelouch will return and gain a new golden form.

I mean Akito already introduced (effectively) gods so presumably this will introduce BIGGER gods

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Whoops I forgot. I'm rewatching R2 and must not have reached that point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, Zero Requiem is great as is and I don't want any retcons ruining it. On the other hand, I need Jun Fukuyama hamming it up like a fabulous bastard again in my life.

At least it isn't a second season so Sunrise shouldn't gently caress it up too much!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
thank you, anime gods

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It is my sincere opinion that Code Geass was a 10/10 experience back 10 years ago (yeah we're all old now) but a 7/10 show at most, so this seems like it's gonna depend entirely on whether the first few episodes are engaging enough to actually get people excited about it and discussing it.

Thankfully they have Lelouch for that.

At the very least I can say I have absolutely no attachment to any part of the plot or the ending, not because it was bad or anything but because I was very much only watching for Lelouch + fun action + having fun. I can't even remember poo poo about the ending apart from the cart.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Lord Koth posted:

Could have sworn the director had said he was definitely, positively dead in response to speculation about that cart scene.

He'll probably say "Yeah, so we wanted to make more Code Geass, so we're ret-conning the ending. Turns out he's alive."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

livingfruitvirus posted:

He'll probably say "Yeah, so we wanted to make more Code Geass, so we're ret-conning the ending. Turns out he's alive."

Considering it's titled "Lelouch of the Resurrection" it's a lot more likely he'll say "he was dead but hey turns out code magic can bring someone back to life."

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
In Nightmare of Nunnally, Charles' Geass was literally that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Considering it's titled "Lelouch of the Resurrection" it's a lot more likely he'll say "he was dead but hey turns out code magic can bring someone back to life."

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Charles anyways?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Charles anyways?

Yeah there's like three different already-canonical outs for resurrecting someone with a Code so it's always kind of beet a matter of When, not If we got a Lelouch rez.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The most likely situation, I've always thought, was that Lelouch wouldn't have manifested a Code until he actually died.

The thing I can't help but wonder is.. what force is DUMB enough to make a Lelouch who got nearly everything he wanted return?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gearhead posted:

The thing I can't help but wonder is.. what force is DUMB enough to make a Lelouch who got nearly everything he wanted return?

Suzaku

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Suzaku is too easy an answer.

His idiocy is near infinite, but I would hope and pray him not dumb enough to be the prime cause. But I could see him trying to use Lelouch as a last resort to some impossible problem...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hm, well if it's a movie, we may already know the answer

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Extraterrestrial_Living-metal_Shape-shifter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

The most likely situation, I've always thought, was that Lelouch wouldn't have manifested a Code until he actually died.

I suspect the outcome is "something happens to Nunally"

It's pretty easy to imagine Suzaku mysteriously vanishing for at least part of the story too so Lelouch can get back into the Zero costume.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My hope is that Karen gets to do cool things.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lelouch doing crazy things as Zero because he's immortal would be kind of great...

'Zero is an Idea. And Ideas are BULLETPROOF.'

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Little do you all know, but it is actually Xingke's search for a cure for his plot cancer that somehow brings Lelouch back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Orange has gotten such a huge monopoly on orange production that Lelouch is brought back to bring that poo poo to an end.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All hail Lelouch!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lol Cart Driver all this time for real

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm looking forward to Lelouch's next wild ride on that cart.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
All I want is more Crispin Freeman devouring entire continents of scenery as Jeremiah Gottwald.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

More likely the same as Marianne.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Sunrise tried to recreate the magic of Geass like 5 times and failed every time, this sequel will probably be bad.

I hope though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Sunrise tried to recreate the magic of Geass like 5 times and failed every time, this sequel will probably be bad.

I hope though.

Oh it's probably going to be loving horrible. The key is if it's just BAD horrible or of it's 'nonstop insane trainwreck" horrible. The latter is the true spirit of Geass.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Wait, do people *really* care about whether it makes a lick of sense that there's a sequel after R2? I could understand if it was about a sequel to Eureka Seven (which does not exist, I assure you), but its Geass. It's deliberately designed to be hammy and ridiculous.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno by what metric people measure "good" or "bad".

If I get people grandstanding, doing incredibly convoluted handfestures, wear cool sci-fi helmets and make grandiose speeches, then it's "good" by my book.

Oh and a bit of puppet-mastery. That doesn't hurt.

KoB
May 1, 2009
If I enjoy it, its good.

If I dont enjoy it, its bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KoB posted:

I hope though.

Taniguchi wasn't directing any of those.