Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The current mindset seems to be
"None of the fires are close to Arab population centers. This is proof that they did it!"
*ignores Haifa burning to the loving ground*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Not to be callous to either side, but, if the fires are indeed an act of resistance/terrorism, they are an interesting departure from the recent spate of stabbings/rammings. It's always perplexed me that we don't see more such actions with better short-term survivability for the perpetrator (and thus the option to act again). There haven't been deaths from the fires as far as I've read, but they cause much greater disruption than a random attempted stabbing.

But until more information about the suspects is released, who's to say it's not an ultra-right false-flag or even just hysteria over natural phenomena that's going to be used to justify a pogrom against the vilified out-group?

Either way, here's hoping it doesn't result in the deaths of innocents.

The stabbings and rammings are usually lone-wolf attacks with the explicit intention of ending in death, often by people who have recently had bad things happen in their life. They're suicide-by-IDF, basically - the low survivability is a feature, not a bug.

The fires are probably just accidental or natural fires.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Svartvit posted:

If you're referring to the spelling of "Trump", I installed an app in Chrome a long time ago that changes it into "Drumpf" and now I have no way of knowing myself what it actually says.

well theres your problem

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The current mindset seems to be
"None of the fires are close to Arab population centers. This is proof that they did it!"
*ignores Haifa burning to the loving ground*

I think you'll find that there's plenty of Arabs in Haifa so they could've easily started those fires. QED.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In a tragic Poe's Law related incident a Anas Aboudaabes from Rahat was arrested for allegedly posting inciting status updates on his facebook wall. Yesterday a story on Ynet stated "The 24 year old, a cousin to a high ranking executive in the Islamic Movement, has been arrested for suspected incitement. 'There are a few groves which haven't burned down yet, we must call upon the disturbed among our youth to do that which needs to be done'".

Up till now it may sound semi-reasonable or whatever I don't know depending to the limits you are prepared to set on free speech, but here's where it becomes a doozer, Anas's post is an ad absurdum criticism of what he perceives as schadenfreude prevalent in the arab community, in that post he also calls to "Boycott Turkey because Ergodan sent firefighting planes", "The arabs living in Haifa and in other villages threatened by the fires shouldn't evacuate because surely these fires were sent by Allah and you're perfectly safe." lastly he literally signs the post with "#Satire_not_serious #Arab_nonsense #The_smoke_blinds_both_hearts_and_minds". the post is here: - https://www.facebook.com/anas.daabes/posts/10209997460586570?pnref=story

In a post he made several hours earlier he writes - "What levels of ignorance have we descended into?! our country is burning and it turns out there are arabs in the region who praise god for it. It amazes me how the mind can stop working and become such an idiotic thing" - https://www.facebook.com/anas.daabes/posts/10209996280477068?pnref=story

So yes, and there are a few more absurdist quotes from this whole thing. quoting from here: http://news.walla.co.il/item/3016833

quote:

The Police's representative claimed that you have to ignore the context of the cynical post "I am not familiar with people who see a post and then go read through the person's post history to figure out what his opinions actually are" ... she added that the suspect used "very fancy language" and that this contributed to him being easy to misunderstand "Perhaps some teenager won't understand his intentions and there will be arson in the South Hebron Region".

The defendant's lawyer questioned: "Where's the criminal intent? Biyalik [Israel's National Poet] also wrote things people misunderstood, saying that some kid might misunderstand him and commit a crime is not criminal." The judge determined in his ruling that the two posts indeed seem to be in contradiction but that the author should have been more prudent in considering how he might be interpreted.

To me this reads like a Catch 22 subplot. The whole thing is so incredibly dumb and racist.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The whole thing is so incredibly dumb and racist.

Welcome to Israel, where the charges are made up and the intent doesn't matter!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Over thirty people have been arrested by police and security forces for arson of incitement, and at least another dozen have been arrested, questioned, and released. The Jewish Press has coined the term "pyroterror" and is cheerily fanning the flames of fear of these dastardly Arab PyroTerrorists. A settler rabbi has already publicly declared that the fires are "divine retribution" for the plans to evacuate Amona and that rain will not come until the settlement's future is guaranteed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have any information on the extent of damage to Haifa?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Millions of people are currently being told that starting a forest fire is now a valid method of terrorist action. Thanks, Israel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Main Paineframe posted:

Over thirty people have been arrested by police and security forces for arson of incitement, and at least another dozen have been arrested, questioned, and released. The Jewish Press has coined the term "pyroterror" and is cheerily fanning the flames of fear of these dastardly Arab PyroTerrorists. A settler rabbi has already publicly declared that the fires are "divine retribution" for the plans to evacuate Amona and that rain will not come until the settlement's future is guaranteed.

Arson of incitement? Did he start some sick fires, bro?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lawman 0 posted:

Does anyone have any information on the extent of damage to Haifa?

Last I heard it was about 1600 people left homeless, 600 damaged buildings and a poo poo ton of forest areas turned to ash. Damages are valued at about 500 million Shekels.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ynet reports that the police arrested 37 people for suspected arson, 18 Palestinian-Israelis and the rest Palestinians from the west bank. 5 Arrested for incitement including at least one Jewish-Israeli who called on Facebook to burn Arab cities & villages.

Anas Aboudaabes is scheduled to be released 'within the day' - the state attorney office will decide whether to continue making fools of themselves and press charges for incitement.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh and in an unrelated story, the Israeli media is reporting that an ISIS squadron tried to lay ambush to an IDF unit patrolling the Israel-Syria border, the Israeli media reports that the ISIS squadron used machine guns and mortars, the ISIS squadron was then pinned down by the return fire and taken out by the Israeli Air Force. No injuries on the Israeli side, allegedly 4 dead ISIS combatants. This is as far as I know the first time there were direct clashes between ISIS and the IDF.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4884827,00.html

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i can't stop farting!!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Avshalom posted:

i can't stop farting!!

:same: but the world is facing... three or four larger problems these days.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
don't you give me sass my farts are an existential threat

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Avshalom posted:

don't you give me sass my farts are an existential threat

Unlike Iran

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

http://www.un.org/en/events/palestinianday/

quote:

29 November:
"This year, the number of demolitions of Palestinian houses and other structures by Israeli forces has doubled, compared to 2015. Gaza remains a humanitarian emergency, with 2 million Palestinians struggling with crumbling infrastructure and a paralyzed economy, and tens of thousands still displaced, awaiting reconstruction of homes destroyed by conflict."

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
In 1977, the General Assembly called for the annual observance of 29 November as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People (resolution 32/40 B). On that day, in 1947, the Assembly adopted the resolution on the partition of Palestine (resolution 181 (II))

In resolution 60/37 of 1 December 2005, the Assembly requested the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People and the Division for Palestinian Rights, as part of the observance of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People on 29 November, to continue to organize an annual exhibit on Palestinian rights or a cultural event in cooperation with the Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the UN.

It's so strange visiting two different forums on the Internet. Where I got this, the responses were pretty much "gently caress Palestine" and "nope, I stand with Israel."

This thread of course is kinda the opposite, which is generally where my beliefs lay as well. It's just kind of dispiriting seeing people literally write off a whole group of people out of spite. "They brought this on themselves. They're the ones who don't want peace."

I don't understand it. Is it really all down to propaganda news fed to people in the US and Israel? Yet I remember this article in The Atlantic that said, if anything, the media is biased for Palestine. I just don't know.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Well Nikkolas let me express regret that Spacebattles dot com confused you. But now you are in safe space. BTW you are at least the third person from SB complaining about SB here. As far as I understand two preceding persons were disgusted by this sub-forum and possibly I/P threads specifically. Lets see how you do.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 30, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

Well Nikkolas let me express regret that Spacebattles dot com confused you. But now you are in safe space. Let it rip.

Wow, I never imagined I'd meet another poster who frequented both forums.

I wouldn't mind a safe space sometimes but alas, I try to entertain all views. God knows I'm not an expert on this situation (or most things) so arguing can teach me things. Sometimes, anyway.

e:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please don't import outside forums drama here, thanks.

Sorry, I'll drop it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No no outside forums drama. I will talk about this sub-forum.

NikkolasKing posted:

Wow, I never imagined I'd meet another poster who frequented both forums.
I think it happens more often then you think. It sort of surprised me that out of all places you decided to complain about SB on comedy forum in biggest joke of sub-forums.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

No no outside forums drama. I will talk about this sub-forum.

I think it happens more often then you think. It sort of surprised me that out of all places you decided to complain about SB on comedy forum in biggest joke of sub-forums.

I don't think one Internet forum is less credible than another unless you're like Stormfront or something.

I like D&D though. The Effective Leftist Organizing thread for instance is a really great resource. Gonna try and help some more next month when I have actual money to do stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.un.org/en/events/palestinianday/

It's so strange visiting two different forums on the Internet. Where I got this, the responses were pretty much "gently caress Palestine" and "nope, I stand with Israel."

This thread of course is kinda the opposite, which is generally where my beliefs lay as well. It's just kind of dispiriting seeing people literally write off a whole group of people out of spite. "They brought this on themselves. They're the ones who don't want peace."

I don't understand it. Is it really all down to propaganda news fed to people in the US and Israel? Yet I remember this article in The Atlantic that said, if anything, the media is biased for Palestine. I just don't know.

Is it really that shocking? Americans aren't exactly known for having sympathy for armed Muslim resistance to imperialist projects in the Middle East.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

NikkolasKing posted:

"Biased" for Palestine usually means reporting on the occupation. Make your own judgements.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dunno if anyone is keeping tabs or still cares but at the moment out of hundreds (maybe over a thousand. the sources differ) of wildfires only 9 are still being investigated for possible arson, Moshe Kahlon and the ministry of finance have declared that the citizens of haifa and a few other places are the victims of a terror attack while the police came out with a conflicting statement where they say that as far as they're concerned not a single arson has been proven yet and the investigation is still on going.

So, regardless of how many terrorist arsons there were, if any, if would seem like we're talking about less than half of a percent of the total fires and that the majority of them were "natural" or just not intentional for that purpose. Not that Bennet and Bibi are going to be held accountable for their incitement.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now what's with the (delayed) title change? That should've happened the moment Trump wanted Huckabee to be his ambassador.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dunno if anyone is keeping tabs or still cares but at the moment out of hundreds (maybe over a thousand. the sources differ) of wildfires only 9 are still being investigated for possible arson, Moshe Kahlon and the ministry of finance have declared that the citizens of haifa and a few other places are the victims of a terror attack while the police came out with a conflicting statement where they say that as far as they're concerned not a single arson has been proven yet and the investigation is still on going.

So, regardless of how many terrorist arsons there were, if any, if would seem like we're talking about less than half of a percent of the total fires and that the majority of them were "natural" or just not intentional for that purpose. Not that Bennet and Bibi are going to be held accountable for their incitement.

Also important to add, that if a fire declared a terrorist attack then the people hurt are entitled to compensations from the government, if not then they get what they were insured for. So basically now that they got a rough estimate of the bill suddenly those fires seem a lot more natural.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arson updates, so far there are still some 18 people detained for investigation, the only case where charges have been filed is against a resident of Umm al-Fahem who set fire to trash piles next to his own home, according to the suspect he did it because the city council fails to clear the trash from the streets. Yeah.

Source (in hebrew): http://www.mako.co.il/news-law/crime-q4_2016/Article-bf0399e35efa851004.htm

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a good article about life in the Shuafat camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/magazine/we-are-orphans-here.html

quote:

Adel kept making reference to his 9-year-old daughter, who is physically disabled and cannot attend school. I asked to meet her or Adel asked if I wanted to meet her. Either way we ended up in Adel’s large apartment, and his daughter Mira was wheeled out to the living room. Mira was burned over most of her body and is missing part of one arm and a kneecap. Her face and scalp are disfigured. A school bus filled with children from the Shuafat camp were on a trip to Ramallah when their bus collided with a truck on wet roads. The bus overturned and burst into flames. Five children and a teacher burned to death. Dozens were injured. Emergency services were delayed by confusion over who had jurisdiction. As a result, Mira and other children had to be taken in the cars of bystanders to the closest hospital. The accident took place between the Adam settlement and Qalandiya checkpoints, in what is called Area C of the West Bank, which is entirely under Israeli control. The likelihood of something like this occurring was well known. Later, a report from Ir Amim, an Israeli human rights group, established that the tragedy resulted from the multiple challenges of living beyond the separation barrier. Roads were substandard. There were too many children on the bus, the children had no access to education in their own communities and there was no oversight.

Mira, who had been transferred from her wheelchair to the couch, sat and fidgeted. She understood no English but was forced to quietly pretend she was listening. I kept smiling at her, and she smiled back. I was desperate to give her something, to promise something. It’s very difficult to see a child who has suffered so tremendously. It’s basically unbearable. I should give her the ring I was wearing, I thought. But then I saw that it would never fit her fingers, which were very swollen and large, despite her young age; her development, after the fire, was thwarted because her bones could not properly grow. I’ll give her my earrings, was my next idea, and then I realized that her ears had been burned off in the fire. I felt obscene.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dumb(er than usual) post warning:

So everyone in Israel is talking about Jenna Jameson's infatuation with Dear Leader and I just can't wait 'till they hear about Avshalom's beautiful love affair with the ghost of Ariel Sharon.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
All the trash in the world is starting to converge into one giant circle of trash (not talking about Avshalom here).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Svartvit posted:

All the trash in the world is starting to converge into one giant circle of trash (not talking about Avshalom here).
Which will then turn into the greatest dumpster fire once temperatures in the desert start averaging 120 F in a few decades.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 7, 2016

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Come, armageddon come.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good news for the Israelis:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/809544038651142144

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Given how he chose the head of various US govt departments such as the EPA, it's kind of surprising he didn't appoint Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as his ambassador to Israel.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/809577135887306753

Meanwhile, The Promised Podcast has informed me of an interesting occurrence in Tel Aviv this past month: an anonymous artist covertly erected a gilded Bibi statue that became the focal point for impassioned debate and, ultimately, inevitably, a toppling of the sort given Lenin after the wall fell.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Given how he chose the head of various US govt departments such as the EPA, it's kind of surprising he didn't appoint Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as his ambassador to Israel.

Oh, he'll destroy something, all right. He's a vocal Orthodox national-religious Jew who believes that annexing the West Bank is legal, personally runs pro-settlement organizations, has declared Jews who support a two-state solution to be "not Jewish", claimed that the Oslo Accords were "suicidal" and that Bill Clinton helped the evil leftist Sharon do unrivalled damage to Israeli interests, and has claimed that Obama has been the most hostile president to Israel ever and that Clinton would be worse. In other words, he is terribly unrepresentative of American Jews and very vocal about it, so he has the potential to seriously damage the relationship between Israeli Jews and American Jews and single-handedly end bipartisanship on Israel. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Avshalom was already digging out the voodoo dolls and assembling the death shrine.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

he has the potential to seriously damage the relationship between Israeli Jews and American Jews and single-handedly end bipartisanship on Israel.

Would this really be such a bad thing? It could be the prelude to a sanctions campaign if we're not subject to the thousand-year Trumpenreich beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fiction posted:

Would this really be such a bad thing? It could be the prelude to a sanctions campaign if we're not subject to the thousand-year Trumpenreich beforehand.

It's an utter disaster for Israel - the next couple years will be great for the Israeli right, but in the long-term it could seriously hurt Israel's support in the US. Israel's relationship with the Diaspora is already rather delicate, since the Haredi parties have disproportionate power in the government and have used it to carve out all sorts of special privileges for themselves while relegating non-Orthodox Jews to second-class status, and Netanyahu's repeated attempts to turn foreign Jews into unpaid envoys for his foreign policy have been causing concern in the Diaspora.