Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

... leaving the player free to take absolutely everything that isn't close to an AI country.

The AI can and should take stuff I want, what I don't like is them taking stuff that they shouldn't want. In this game China took all of Anatolia while Greece took Istanbul and puppeted Japan. It's backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe a system similar to Europa 4's "provinces of interest" where you can mark out what you want beforehand and the AI will respect that to some degree? Or territory costing more warpoints the further it is from your capital or borders?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

The AI can and should take stuff I want, what I don't like is them taking stuff that they shouldn't want. In this game China took all of Anatolia while Greece took Istanbul and puppeted Japan. It's backwards.

I get the complaint, but seriously, the AI refusing to take anything non-adjacent would mean that the player could hop into any war as Luxemburg, wait for all AIs to pass, and grab half the world without ever firing a shot.

It's not an AI problem, it's a problem in how peace conferences are designed. The AI is using the system properly.

EDIT: I'll admit that China really should have been taking Japanese stuff before Turkish stuff, though. It just irritates me a bit when players say the AI is broken because they want it to play stupidly for their benefit.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 27, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Like who really cares atm since the only time I actually let a conference fire is when I want to see what weird poo poo the AI is going to do but if you guys ever plan on a postwar expansion it's going to cause weirdness.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Honestly the peace process should probably be done in at least two stages. First stage: proposal of the peace provisions that everyone can live with, like at Potsdam. The second stage would be the actual peace treaties with the hostile alliance, where if you try to take more than you're owed under the agreed terms it can trigger crises within your own alliance. Obviously it'd need to be balanced based on situational criteria, claims, etc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It would be a lot of work for a feature nobody actually cares about.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
All of this probably should be in the HoI thread but it just goes to show that an unqualified endorsement of HoI4 at this point is irresponsible. The game is decent and playable. By no means is it good and any recommendation I give would be a cautious one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The point of the game is to win the war. Anything after that is just a funky victory screen.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
game is good, actually

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yup I quite like it, looking forward to the expansions.

e: Not as good as hoi3 but hey, nobody can be perfect.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The point of the game is to win the war. Anything after that is just a funky victory screen.
Winning the war but losing the peace is for losers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

EDIT: I'll admit that China really should have been taking Japanese stuff before Turkish stuff, though. It just irritates me a bit when players say the AI is broken because they want it to play stupidly for their benefit.

I think this might be one of those cases where having it FEEL right is more important than the ai playing well. :shobon:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

I think this might be one of those cases where having it FEEL right is more important than the ai playing well. :shobon:

Yeah but not at the expense of the AI playing really stupidly which appears to be the suggested 'solution' here. Better to fix it by changing the mechanics to make China grabbing Turkey as stupid/implausible mechanics-wise as it looks to be.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Winning the war but losing the peace is for losers.

The peace conference is the least of this game's issues

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Wiz posted:

Yeah but not at the expense of the AI playing really stupidly which appears to be the suggested 'solution' here.

I mean, ideally not, but personally I think the AI playing really stupidly actually would be preferable here. At least for the big peace conference at the end of WW2, resulting pretty borders and a satisfactory conclusion is more important than a better peace result for an AI that won't actually be doing anything with its smart but ugly land anyway.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I mean, ideally not, but personally I think the AI playing really stupidly actually would be preferable here. At least for the big peace conference at the end of WW2, resulting pretty borders and a satisfactory conclusion is more important than a better peace result for an AI that won't actually be doing anything with its smart but ugly land anyway.

The issue is more with smaller peace conferences, since countries surrender to all attackers simultaneously you could basically declare war on any AI country that was about to lose a war and just take everything the others didn't want.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hoi4 is fun but needs some mechanic overhauls to have the legs eu4 does(and I say that as someone who doesn't even really like eu). Mostly to the naval and air mechanics.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Wiz posted:

The issue is more with smaller peace conferences, since countries surrender to all attackers simultaneously you could basically declare war on any AI country that was about to lose a war and just take everything the others didn't want.

There should be a middle ground between "AI takes adjacent territories and stops" and "AI China takes Turkey before Japan". Couldn't you have AI countries take stuff close to them FIRST, and then set up distant colonies/puppets? That seems like it would resolve what people are complaining about.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The main problem with HOI 4 imho is that the air and naval game still hasn't progressed much beyond HOI2 and not at all from HOI 3. And I'd be inclined to argue that the air system is a large step backwards, at least in HOI 2 & 3 you could more or less get your planes to do what you want them to do, albeit at the cost of some micro. Now you not only have to micro your planes in stacks of 30, you then can't even control what they do. It really is pretty poor.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
HOI 4 is the first good HOI

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Obfuscation posted:

HOI 4 is the first good HOI

Darkest Hour was pretty good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uPen posted:

HoI4 seems like a really lovely game and these kind of screenshots just seem to prove it IMO

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Hoi4 is good. Fix naval and air warfare, and for some reason that air war interface and you'll be good.

Vicky can't be salvaged however

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Hoi4 is good. Fix naval and air warfare, and for some reason that air war interface and you'll be good.

You were so close to being right.

Vicky and HOI4 are both good games, that have major issues.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mans posted:

HoI4 seems like a really lovely game and these kind of screenshots just seem to prove it IMO
The war conference system isn't too good, but it's not really that big a part of the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Nat. China also loves Åland a lot. What's with that? Is it just looking for an island to retreat to after the communists win?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Åland kind of looks like Taiwan if you're very creative and need to visit an ophthalmologist.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wiz posted:

I get the complaint, but seriously, the AI refusing to take anything non-adjacent would mean that the player could hop into any war as Luxemburg, wait for all AIs to pass, and grab half the world without ever firing a shot.

The problem here isn't the AI letting the player take half the world without firing a shot, it's the player being able to take half the world without ever firing a shot.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't want to be too negative because I really do like HOI4, HOI3 intrigued me but it seemed way too complicated for me to ever figure out. I've enjoyed what I've played but as I'm learning more and more about the mechanics it's revealed that it's nowhere near as polished as EU4 or CK2 is.

The war conference system is capital B Bad along with the air zones and the AI, and I've stopped playing because of these things among other smaller problems. I burned myself on Civ 6 with this unfinished game bullshit but I have faith in paradox to fix HOI4, that stuff really should be a priority before you guys start pumping out more dlc.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The biggest problem HoI4 has, is the lack of achievements for Japan.

Fix the air interface (why are wings of 10 wings of 30 planes better than 1 win of 300?) to be less micro and some other QoL stuff, the base game is good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HoI4 is 70% good, 30% bad. Just needs a great leap forward.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nat. China also loves Åland a lot. What's with that? Is it just looking for an island to retreat to after the communists win?

They're doing it to spite Japan, obviously.

quote:

Merit is also attributed to Finland's Envoy to Japan, professor G.J. Ramstedt, who managed to point out to the Japanese delegation in the League of Nations that the Åland Islands are in fact a continuous archipelago that joins it with Finland, and furthermore, that deep sea waters separate them from Sweden. Japan's own interests in controlling Pacific islands would be aided by such a precedent, and it consequently gave important support to Finland.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tahirovic posted:

The biggest problem HoI4 has, is the lack of achievements for Japan.

It is kinda weird that there aren't just "Win the war" achievements for the great powers. If you're motivated by achievements, there's no reason to play the USA or Japan.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Vicky is wonderful and beautiful unlike you who is the opposite!!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kaza42 posted:

There should be a middle ground between "AI takes adjacent territories and stops" and "AI China takes Turkey before Japan". Couldn't you have AI countries take stuff close to them FIRST, and then set up distant colonies/puppets? That seems like it would resolve what people are complaining about.

Let's face facts, Turkey should be impossible to "puppet" by N. China or Japan. The likelihood of either country having the political capital to ensure that the rest of Europe doesn't say, "uh, no... we're the Occident and that's in our sphere of influence" seems rather remote. That's like Japan puppeting Central America on it's own, the Monroe doctrine be damned.

Senor Dog posted:

I too support this post.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 28, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Senor Dog posted:

I am backing this post.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

AND MY AXE

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is it that there is a malus for China taking provinces outside Asia, but Anatolia is considered Asian?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is it that there is a malus for China taking provinces outside Asia, but Anatolia is considered Asian?

I've seen Greece take Hokkaido, I don't think there are any maluses for anything in the peace conference system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

uPen posted:

e: Not as good as hoi3 but hey, nobody can be perfect.

This is not a healthy thing to believe, please seek medical help ASAP.