Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

negromancer posted:

I have no idea who or what that is.

I'll give you a hint, one of the members is The RZArector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

7c Nickel posted:

I'll give you a hint, one of the members is The RZArector.
Commit suicide and he'll bring ya back to life!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Commit suicide and he'll bring ya back to life!

R.I.P. Grym Reaper/Poetic:smith:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

verdigris murder posted:

Negromancer why has Niggamortis been vanished on all the digital musical ownership platforms?

Get the gently caress out of here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's gone from Play Music. What the gently caress indeed. Usually this sort of shenanigans is thanks to weird licencing poo poo.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I wonder who the red text fairy is, they're really salty about this thread.

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Hi Negrotown,

In light of recent events in the US I was struck by a thought. If any of you want to move to a black majority country why not consider one of the Caribbean islands?

We have our own racial issues but at least black and brown people are in the majority. I'd welcome non-rear end in a top hat Black Americans since we're brain draining like crazy. Also our land is being snapped up by white neocolonists and if my country is going to be invaded by foreigners I'd rather it be black people.

I'm kinda joking but kinda not. If you want to gtfo of the States and move to a tropical island (and can freelance / otherwise self support) then let me know and I'll info dump.

Because drat. I know I'm not going to be using my US Visa when it expires next year. I want no part of that mess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

wyldhoney posted:

Hi Negrotown,

In light of recent events in the US I was struck by a thought. If any of you want to move to a black majority country why not consider one of the Caribbean islands?

We have our own racial issues but at least black and brown people are in the majority. I'd welcome non-rear end in a top hat Black Americans since we're brain draining like crazy. Also our land is being snapped up by white neocolonists and if my country is going to be invaded by foreigners I'd rather it be black people.

I'm kinda joking but kinda not. If you want to gtfo of the States and move to a tropical island (and can freelance / otherwise self support) then let me know and I'll info dump.

Because drat. I know I'm not going to be using my US Visa when it expires next year. I want no part of that mess.

How fast is your internet?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Right? Sign me up

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What, you think the U.S. is still going to have affordable fast internet once Trump gets done stocking the FCC with his buddies and they get to repealing the title II classification of broadband and net neutrality rules?

Hope you like paying $100+ a month for the cheapest tier of 20mbps cable with a 100gb/mo data cap. And if you want to be able to access certain websites or streaming services it'll cost you extra in access fees.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

wyldhoney posted:

Hi Negrotown,

Fiance's family is laying the groundwork by investing HEAVILY in the resort industry. Timeshares and trips are quickly becoming the new hotness for making extra cake. Gotta get used to plantains and hearing folks suck their teeth at me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fwiw, I can personally attest to nassau and bimini being gorgeous places to stay (Nassau for one month, bimini for 3 months). I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could, but I've got no skills worth mentioning aside from beating on cars until they work kinda right. And my fat pasty goon body would be a blight on the landscape. :(

Edit: And Bimini bay can go gently caress itself. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 27, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I think my father's father came from the US Virgin Islands, so that can work. Though looking at the amount of homophobia I've heard about in Jamaica makes me worried.

No, I have to hope Free Cascadia doesn't go all white nationalist when I'm not looking.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

foobardog posted:

No, I have to hope Free Cascadia doesn't go all white nationalist when I'm not looking.

Dude... we know Cascadia would just be America, but smaller.

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Our Internet is run by a monopoly so it loving sucks. But you can get 20 megs if you pay for it and live in a good area. Which is better than some parts of the US?

Southern Caribbean is where it's at. Visit one of the OECS countries. Buy property. I'm so serious, white expats are buying up all our land and I need to balance things out.

Find me on hotmail if things start looking crucial in February. 7 years residence for citizenship, or marry a hot islander to skip the wait.

Imagine living a life that's always only 30 mins away from the beach.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
This was a fantastic read right here:

https://storify.com/donkify/jpbrammer-explains-the-political-economy-of-many-p

wyldhoney posted:

Our Internet is run by a monopoly so it loving sucks. But you can get 20 megs if you pay for it and live in a good area. Which is better than some parts of the US?

Southern Caribbean is where it's at. Visit one of the OECS countries. Buy property. I'm so serious, white expats are buying up all our land and I need to balance things out.

Find me on hotmail if things start looking crucial in February. 7 years residence for citizenship, or marry a hot islander to skip the wait.

Imagine living a life that's always only 30 mins away from the beach.

How come you don't petition your government to not allow that?

In some countries you cannot buy land until you are a citizen of said country.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Oh gently caress this. I'm getting real tired of think pieces about poor whites that point out poo poo I've known for years, but when it comes to offering some way to fix it they just throw up their hands. We get it; it's hard. But if you aren't going to offer some kind of plan of action for reaching these people then I'm going to keep calling them bitter hicks who prioritize their hate over their own well-being.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Written over a decade ago, still 100% accurate

http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

quote:

This is America, not Denmark. In this country, tens of millions of people choose to watch FoxNews not simply because Americans are credulous idiots or at the behest of some right-wing corporate cabal, but because average Americans respect viciousness. They are attracted to viciousness for a lot of reasons. In part, it reminds them of their bosses, whom they secretly adore. Americans hate themselves for the way they behave in public, always smiling and nodding their heads with accompanying really?s and uh-huhs to show that they’re listening to the other person, never having the guts to say what they really feel. So they vicariously scream and bully others into submission through right-wing surrogate-brutes. Spending time watching Sean Hannity is enough for your average American white male to feel less cowardly than he really is.

The left won’t accept this awful truth about the American soul, a beast that they believe they can fix “if only the people knew the Truth.”

But what if the Truth is that Americans don’t want to know the Truth? What if Americans consciously choose lies over truth when given the chance–and not even very interesting lies, but rather the blandest, dumbest and meanest lies? What if Americans are not a likeable people? The left’s wires short-circuit when confronted with this terrible possibility; the right, on the other hand, warmly embraces Middle America’s rank soul and exploits it to their full advantage. The Republicans know Americans better than the left. They know that it’s not so much Goering’s famous “bigger lie” that works here, but the dumber and meaner the lie, the more the public wants to hear it repeated.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

7c Nickel posted:

I wonder who the red text fairy is, they're really salty about this thread.

Looks like I pissed somebody off by pointing out how much money they're wasting on these redtext av changes.

:10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Domestic Amuse posted:

Looks like I pissed somebody off by pointing out how much money they're wasting on these redtext av changes.

The economy really does run on spite.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Domestic Amuse posted:

It's not very punchy. 3/10.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

highme posted:

Dude... we know Cascadia would just be America, but smaller.

I know... I know... :smithicide:

e: I guess I'll accept Burger King Kids Club America over the Confederacy Triumphant.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 27, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rush Limbo posted:

Written over a decade ago, still 100% accurate

http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

Basically a majority of white people in America are lovely people and consciously choose to be lovely, which the right recognizes and exploits?

Black people been saying this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

negromancer posted:

Basically a majority of white people in America are lovely people and consciously choose to be lovely, which the right recognizes and exploits?

Black people been saying this.

Pretty much. The left, or rather the white moderates in the left, refuse to acknowledge this.

The left needs to adopt the fire and brimstone approach because it works and when you have an entire voting bloc who runs purely on spite and misery, it's better to have that focused on deserving targets.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rush Limbo posted:

Pretty much. The left, or rather the white moderates in the left, refuse to acknowledge this.

The left needs to adopt the fire and brimstone approach because it works and when you have an entire voting bloc who runs purely on spite and misery, it's better to have that focused on deserving targets.

Someone should start some kind of discussion form examining the psyche and social conditions that produce the white moderate and brainstorming was to shift them out of their obstructive lifestyles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's there because people can just easily ignore it until it comes election time and then after every defeat, white moderates go back and say that we need to appeal to "white working class" folks.

I mean, look at how much these people eat Bernie Sanders's poo poo up, and then when he lost went straight for Trump while at the same time calling Hillary Clinton a poo poo candidate. I have no problems with opinions, but that just makes my head spin.

The easiest answer is that they want to appear to be allies, but they don't want to be allies. It's basically, I am a ally until its inconvenient for me. Then I am taking my ball and going home.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The reason I was told once was that Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump would "shake things up." Also a lot of them have an almost irrational hatred of Hillary Clinton.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there wolf posted:

Someone should start some kind of discussion form examining the psyche and social conditions that produce the white moderate and brainstorming was to shift them out of their obstructive lifestyles.

Somebody did but they shot him in 1968

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

blackguy32 posted:

It's there because people can just easily ignore it until it comes election time and then after every defeat, white moderates go back and say that we need to appeal to "white working class" folks.

I mean, look at how much these people eat Bernie Sanders's poo poo up, and then when he lost went straight for Trump while at the same time calling Hillary Clinton a poo poo candidate. I have no problems with opinions, but that just makes my head spin.

The easiest answer is that they want to appear to be allies, but they don't want to be allies. It's basically, I am a ally until its inconvenient for me. Then I am taking my ball and going home.

White moderates are the right without the spite. It's why they sympathize so much with those poor rural people trapped in their racism and bigotry. "There but for the grace of a better education and social group, go I" They don't have the deep-seated hatred to drive them away from generally wanting equal treatment for everyone, but they're still just as selfish and afraid of change. So they become a critical mass of dead weight on progressivism because it's not like they want to hurt black people/gays/immigrants like the right does, but they don't want to see the world change in any substantial and unpredictable ways like those activist on the left either.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

there wolf posted:

White moderates are the right without the spite. It's why they sympathize so much with those poor rural people trapped in their racism and bigotry. "There but for the grace of a better education and social group, go I" They don't have the deep-seated hatred to drive them away from generally wanting equal treatment for everyone, but they're still just as selfish and afraid of change. So they become a critical mass of dead weight on progressivism because it's not like they want to hurt black people/gays/immigrants like the right does, but they don't want to see the world change in any substantial and unpredictable ways like those activist on the left either.

Honestly from dealing with white moderates I think it's because they don't want to acknowledge that there's problems because then that might be something they're complicit in, so it's easier if things are fine and those horrid people being unruly is some sort of overreaction. A lot of the time they treat frank discussion that there's still issues as an accusation that they're complicit in racism and that they didn't earn what they have and get all defensive against the actual facts, and when people protesting aren't perfectly behaved they bust out the hand wringing.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Honestly from dealing with white moderates I think it's because they don't want to acknowledge that there's problems because then that might be something they're complicit in, so it's easier if things are fine and those horrid people being unruly is some sort of overreaction. A lot of the time they treat frank discussion that there's still issues as an accusation that they're complicit in racism and that they didn't earn what they have and get all defensive against the actual facts, and when people protesting aren't perfectly behaved they bust out the hand wringing.

It's this. I had a discussion the other night that resulted in some nuked bridges where some white moderates blamed the backlash against LGBT rights on progressing too fast. Was loving livid, to say the least.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Very much so. I had one guy I was talking to get mad because a bunch of protestors in his town were obstructing traffic by forming human roadblocks on the main roads. He kept insinuating that they deserved to get run over.

I asked him if a guy trying to protest an unjust government by standing in front of a tank also deserved to get run down.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HotCanadianChick posted:

Very much so. I had one guy I was talking to get mad because a bunch of protestors in his town were obstructing traffic by forming human roadblocks on the main roads. He kept insinuating that they deserved to get run over.

I asked him if a guy trying to protest an unjust government by standing in front of a tank also deserved to get run down.

I'd love to hear his response, if he even had one.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

xthetenth posted:

Not empty quoting, just making sure these get restated for their accuracy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. He said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again"

I have been white and poor. I have been white and middle class. I am now white and upper middle class. Very, very, few people I interact with understand that fig tree parable. Very few people here in SA understand it.

I lived in Chicago on the south side for almost 4 years. Drove the stoney island end to end 3 to 6 times day. Later I lived in Savannah and worked extensively with black longshoremen. African Americans that I interacted with in those places understood that parable.

When we, white moderates, say "But, but, but, it's not the time for that (be it LGBT or civil rights)" , or we should take it slow on that, eg. "it's not the season for figs" we don't understand that, that attitude ends with may no one ever eat fruit from you again.

And when I make this argument, in my social circle the response is, well, "there is no scholarly or theological agreement on that one, it's an outlier",totally ignoring the content of the argument. They don't understand the immediacy of the need for change, because it is outside of their experience.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

BrandorKP posted:

When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. He said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again"
I feel like I'm still not quite getting it. Please explain it again.

No sarcasm, no irony. I literally feel like I'm an inch away from understanding what you're trying to communicate

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Veyrall posted:

I feel like I'm still not quite getting it. Please explain it again.

No sarcasm, no irony. I literally feel like I'm an inch away from understanding what you're trying to communicate

No one gives a poo poo what season it is. Hunger doesn't wait for the appropriate season for food.Like hunger, neither does equal rights, and if aren't willing to feed me when I need it, you can gently caress right off.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

My experience is that they are happy to acknowledge problems in vague, distant ways that defy any real connection, either through self-reflection of their own thoughts and behavior like you're talking about, or problem solving and direct action like I was talking about with the "dead weight on progressivism" line.

I was reading an old post on persuasive argument a while back that kind of summed up the white moderate. It split arguments into three styles: soft- your basic agree to disagree, hard- the kind of direct call-out negromancer favors, and between them persuasive which is geared towards finding compromise. The idea in persuasive argument is that you show respect and consideration to the other party so they're open to you, and then use what they tell you as a guide for where to push to change their minds.

White moderates will talk your ear off about the need for mutual respect and consideration, but they never seem to get around to the "and then you hit here, here, and here to weaken their conviction and open them up to yours." They don't want to change minds. They don't want to change anything, because right here they are safe, they are comfortable, and they are right. Change opens them up to losing that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's easy to complain and identify problems in others; it's hard and unpleasant to find those problems in yourself. Then you're faced with a dilemma where you either work to be better, or you have to acknowledge that you are racist and you like it that way. So much easier to just externalize everything and blame everyone else for the ills of the world.

I think white moderates fancy themselves the "peacekeepers," they're the type of people who just know that if everyone would listen to them, there wouldn't be any societal conflicts anymore. Lord knows I have to shove down that impulse in myself all the loving time. It's part of our white upbringing to think we can (and should) fix everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Hawkgirl posted:

fancy themselves the "peacekeepers," they're the type of people who just know that if everyone would listen to them, there wouldn't be any societal conflicts anymore. Lord knows I have to shove down that impulse in myself all the loving time. It's part of our white upbringing to think we can (and should) fix everything.

It's not just moderates. But yes, this is what I see as the biggest obstacle in getting white people to embrace change. A guy told me that LGBT and women of color should just come together because they both want the same thing politically, and I told him those people get to decide what they want and how they want to get it. And that at least made him stop telling me how much he had the right idea.

It's also why white people can't be trusted to be advocates or allies because they'll sell out the cause in order to feel like the adult in the room.

• Locked thread