Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got both of the mercy event skins and the only hero I play less than her is symmetra

actually I've got all of the support skins except the zen one across both events and zen is the only support I really play much of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ana is the one you use if you can aim, that's pretty much all there is to it. That includes landing your sleep dart.

"Better single target healing" is offset by you having to reliably land your shots on things other than Reinhardt's butt in order to effectively heal your entire team.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 27, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm slowly and barely getting a bit more comfortable with Ana, but had a nice QP game with her. It seemed to be a good idea to bind sleep dart to M2 and scope to shift, it feels pretty natural.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Unreal Tournament had superior weapons and map design compared to OW and I'm here to tell you why.

Blizzard butchered my poor translocator. Well not before it was already ruined.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tribes is the perfect shooter and I honestly don't get how it didn't take off as a series

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tribes is the perfect shooter and I honestly don't get how it didn't take off as a series

Every time I play a Battlefield I wish deeply that it was more like Tribes. :smith:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I played some Tribes: Ascend and the one before that. They were pretty fun, but also by no means perfect shooters. But as to what takes off, there's a lot of factors outside of game quality. Price point and how far the developer pushes it being big ones. And as we know now, in-game collectibles/treadmills/gambling.

I may take some flak for this, but I think a good example is HoN. Way smaller dev and it was at release behind a paywall. LoL and DotA 2 were both F2P and basically devoured the market share before HoN went F2P itself. Nowadays I assume both LoL and DotA 2 are better in pretty much every way, but at the time, having played all three, HoN was on a way better feeling engine to play.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna go ahead and blame the players, citing "Dare" from GBS.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jeza posted:

I played some Tribes: Ascend and the one before that. They were pretty fun, but also by no means perfect shooters. But as to what takes off, there's a lot of factors outside of game quality. Price point and how far the developer pushes it being big ones. And as we know now, in-game collectibles/treadmills/gambling.

I may take some flak for this, but I think a good example is HoN. Way smaller dev and it was at release behind a paywall. LoL and DotA 2 were both F2P and basically devoured the market share before HoN went F2P itself. Nowadays I assume both LoL and DotA 2 are better in pretty much every way, but at the time, having played all three, HoN was on a way better feeling engine to play.

Ascend and Vengeance were nowhere near Tribes 1 or 2.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Tribes won't ever take off because it's too complex a shooter for modern gamers and console players. That's it.

Tribes fits into the same group as hardcore arena shooters; punishing gameplay with extremely high skill ceilings that newcomers have to bash their heads against until they become good.

That said, I miss tribes, and it is an honor duel when you run into another Pharah.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ascend and Vengeance were nowhere near Tribes 1 or 2.

And 2 was borderline unplayable for a lot of people, requiring a ridiculous string of patches [which, if memory serves, all had obscure seven digit numbers for names] to be installed in a specific order for the game to be pseudo-playable for some people.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

It came out right in the heyday of piracy and 0 DRM. Rumor has it that it was and still the most pirated game of all time.

Yea, I forgot about those patches too. It just had a horrible launch. And then all the reboots with TV and A were done by companies that didn't really understand what they were doing. T1 was a happy accident, and recreating it is much more complex than people realize.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Disgusting Coward posted:

And 2 was borderline unplayable for a lot of people, requiring a ridiculous string of patches [which, if memory serves, all had obscure seven digit numbers for names] to be installed in a specific order for the game to be pseudo-playable for some people.

At release you couldn't play it with a Voodoo card, which is what I had, so despite being an avid Tribes player and a Starsiege lover and the perfect candidate to pay Dynamix more money, I didn't.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm amazed there was so much trouble running it, when it came out I was 10 and playing it on the folks (most definitely not gaming optimized) PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT59sT6xz2c holy poo poo I think people are still playing this game :stare:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean every online game ever made will probably have a tiny group of people that'll play it until the day they die

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

People are still playing Quakeworld and Team Fortress Classic last I looked so yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I looked up this Tribes game and apparently there's no Junkrat in it? Perfect shooter my rear end

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's got a Mortar launcher, which is like junkrat that shoots diva mechanical, and he's a diva mechanical too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I looked up this Tribes game and apparently there's no Junkrat in it? Perfect shooter my rear end

It's got almost all of Junkrat's kit except he can fly while he does it and the mine is enormous

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean every online game ever made will probably have a tiny group of people that'll play it until the day they die
it's extremely true. there was this online flash racing game I used to play as a kid called Need For Madness which was from... like, the early 2000s or something? and when I looked it up last year or so I found out that not only was it still around, people still played it in online multiplayer which you have to pay a subscription for, it has its own facebook fan page and a weirdly serious scene, custom car 3d models and HUD mods and stuff, etc.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think pso is finally dying though

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As a D.Va player there are few things more satisfying than a Roadhog hooking your self-destructing mech into the middle of the enemy team but I managed to achieve something even better in the same game when in a last-point defense on Hollywood I popped self-destruct near the payload, the red team's Reinhardt charged me while I was in pilot form, and the explosion killed him just before he smashed me against the wall along with two of his teammates.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

IronicDongz posted:

it's extremely true. there was this online flash racing game I used to play as a kid called Need For Madness which was from... like, the early 2000s or something? and when I looked it up last year or so I found out that not only was it still around, people still played it in online multiplayer which you have to pay a subscription for, it has its own facebook fan page and a weirdly serious scene, custom car 3d models and HUD mods and stuff, etc.

It actually took the release of Evolve (another game down to a hardcore minority) and this game to finally get me to stop playing L4D.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

FaustianQ posted:

I must be weird because I can't play Mercy worth a drat but I'll feel like I'm contributing or helping with Ana. Maybe it's because at the ranks I sit at (2650-2850 for S2) pubs have a harder time sealing the deal getting kills or have terrible enough picks or aim to not be able to deal with a Pharah (although a S:76 in nearly every game really helps).

With Mercy it just feels like a frustrating struggle to keep people alive or get a good resurrect off, and holy poo poo everyone wants me dead in a way no one attempts when I'm an Ana. Ana legitimately feels easier and more fun to play.

At least if you get good with her pistol you can get some surprise kills with her. A lot of times players will go straight for me making no attempts to dodge thinking it's an easy kill.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Hey what do I have to do to get a custom game on a specific part of a koth map?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dren posted:

Hey what do I have to do to get a custom game on a specific part of a koth map?

reload it until the game gives you the map you want

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://twitter.com/TaZzeRK/status/802901320890019840

Twice as many hours clocked than a full-time job.

This guy says he played Overwatch 16-17 hours a day. I can't even stay awake 16-17 hours a day.

He also said he's unemployed right now but I sort of figured that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You'd think he'd at least try and make money streaming or something

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Jeza posted:

Yea at the time I thought HoN was way better. But marketing for a game = super key.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My first game of HoN I ever played I killed someone with some dwarfs bomb keg and the goons in the game were like nice and the I went 1/13 and they were less nice

Good game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Yea at the time I thought HoN was way better. But marketing for a game = super key.

Let me tell you about Bloodline Champions.

But yes, HoN was literally "DotA, but more responsive and with the random elements lessened or removed." It was great, notwithstanding some of the lovely hero designs after they stopped copying them 1:1 and how much Maliken sucks as a human being.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
hello friends

im new to this game which I hear is poppin'. I played a little during the beta where I rocked socks with Winston, but everything's different now and I can't seem to actually do much as him. I've cycled to other heroes that I can be better at (Lucio, CoD soldier), but I still miss my main primate man.

Is the wiki a good place to scrape up relevant information? It looks like the metagame of overwatch changes constantly with patches. I just need advice that can largely remain relevant through all these patches and new ways of playing video games.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I would just practice with whoever you like and have fun with tbh, try have a character or two of each class that you are comfortable with and enjoy, then you can pick to suit your team composition

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dali Parton posted:

hello friends

im new to this game which I hear is poppin'. I played a little during the beta where I rocked socks with Winston, but everything's different now and I can't seem to actually do much as him. I've cycled to other heroes that I can be better at (Lucio, CoD soldier), but I still miss my main primate man.

Is the wiki a good place to scrape up relevant information? It looks like the metagame of overwatch changes constantly with patches. I just need advice that can largely remain relevant through all these patches and new ways of playing video games.

There's a good winston guide over in the tryhard thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=463029330#post463029330

Recent patches haven't really affected him one way or the other. Be wary of jumping in on Ana because you're really easy to hit with a sleep dart, and Sombra gets absolutely wrecked by Winston unless she can ambush hack him while he's busy zapping someone else.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 28, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also the dedicated Winston thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787165

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

hello friends

Winston is one of my mains, and he is rad. jump to the back line, pop your bubble, kill a healer, jump out. Rinse, repeat. The big keys are learning how aggressive you can be, knowing when its ok to chase for a kill, or just back out and reset. You can also get really fancy with your jumps by maximizing hang time so when you land your cooldown is almost back. Jump up real high, and try to land on a slope you can surf for a bit on the way down.

Some also mentioned before that Winston isn't a "tank" in the soaking up damage sense, he is a tank in the "taunting and drawing aggro sense". Once that clicks you brain he becomes a lot better.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 28, 2016

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Electrocuting supports with my science gun is my favorite thing to do as Winston. I played him today quite a bit and got reacquainted with his playstyle.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

pakman posted:

Electrocuting supports with my science gun is my favorite thing to do as Winston. I played him today quite a bit and got reacquainted with his playstyle.

It's a good time to play him too because everybody's still trying out Sombra and on the PTR the new Symmetra, both of whom are great targets for Winston.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

It's a good time to play him too because everybody's still trying out Sombra and on the PTR the new Symmetra, both of whom are great targets for Winston.
Both are slightly rough actually. Sombra is no problem if you see her, but if she hacks you while you are distracted you can't jump out. You beat Symmetra 1v1, but she does a ton of damage and gets through your shield, so she can make it tough to pick the healer. Basically, 1v1 they are fine, but when I jump the backline they are 2 heroes I'd rather not see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Is the number of aimbots in QP really drat high or did this Widowmaker just straight headshot all six of my teammates in less than six seconds with skill.

edit: they were level 33, nothing more.