Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DuhSal posted:

How's the music in the game?

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxxJc_Ka4JG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

So there is no way to play as a female character or have female NPCs in your party, correct?

They said maybe DLC, but I think that's more of a "Maybe this will make them stop asking."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

I think I've seen the royal butler guy and Gladio's sister as fifth members before, like they had health bars and got into the beefs.
hell if im wrong about that, that's cool

anyway, they'll probably make dlc where you can play as most of the party members including the sub-party members. they've already mentioned online co-op and that'd obviously necessitate being able to play as any of the main guys

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's been long previewed that Cor and Iris are guest combat characters. Cor is a samurai, and Iris attacks with a stuffed moogle.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tae posted:

It's been long previewed that Cor and Iris are guest combat characters. Cor is a samurai, and Iris attacks with a stuffed moogle.

There's at least one more guest character: Aranea, the mercenary lady

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yokowns.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

the main characters are the only people ever in your party, there's no sub-party members or anything, and you can only ever play as noctis

You do have guest characters who join your party for brief periods of time, like in FF XII.

The guest characters are as follows, so don't scroll over if you don't wish to be spoiled.

Cor, Iris, Lunafreya and Aranea.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 27, 2016

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

God drat this story is fragmented. I just had (spoilers from Chapt. 6) Gladiolus randomly say that he has to "leave to take care of some stuff on his own" completely absent any real context or reason. Apparently they plan to flesh this stuff out in DLC, but it just comes across really poorly and out of nowhere. Hell, in the very next scene the party themselves are poking fun at how characters just drop in and out of the story - wondering where Cor fuckin' ran off to. "Oh, I heard he's off killing monsters or some poo poo, lol".

For all the amazing poo poo this game does well, I can't believe anybody at SE was like "yeah, this story is okay". It really has to be that they just weren't willing to fund the development any longer, and Tabata's team had to just pin together whatever they had, what was pretty much the beginning, the open world portion of the game, and the very end, with like nothing to pin it all together.

edit: VVVVVV There are two major "towns". The rest is pretty much small outposts that are comprised of an "inn", maybe one or two shops, and which function as hubs pointing you to sidequests, etc. in the world. It's all set up to go with the road trip theme, so most of these are like gas stations and motor lodges.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 27, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does XV feature towns and stuff in the usual FF way or no?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holding a story together in a game that has been worked on and revised for so long is really difficult, there's a lot of things you can't change much for fear of tacking another 2 years onto development time, since one change necessitates dozens of other changes, and lots of assets have already been worked on for months and finalized. Every time the narrative is rewritten puts pressure on the dev team to find a way to make it work with the actual game. Just look at Bioshock Infinite.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VanillaGorilla posted:

edit: VVVVVV There are two major "towns". The rest is pretty much small outposts that are comprised of an "inn", maybe one or two shops, and which function as hubs pointing you to sidequests, etc. in the world. It's all set up to go with the road trip theme, so most of these are like gas stations and motor lodges.

And the DLC's confirmed to be adding at least one more major town hub.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

Holding a story together in a game that has been worked on and revised for so long is really difficult, there's a lot of things you can't change much for fear of tacking another 2 years onto development time, since one change necessitates dozens of other changes, and lots of assets have already been worked on for months and finalized. Every time the narrative is rewritten puts pressure on the dev team to find a way to make it work with the actual game. Just look at Bioshock Infinite.

look at Brave

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quick question for the other guys who have managed to get the game early:

Can you not drive the car yourself during the day or something? Other than the time when you first get the car fixed every time I go to it during the day the option to drive it myself has been greyed out. I've just gotten the second phantom-weapon or whatever it's called so I'm not very far in, I guess. Just seems weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You unlock the ability to drive yourself by chapter 3 iirc. Ignis stops by a gas station and mentions you can drive now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The store near my place is handing out copies at 11 pm tomorrow instead of midnight for some reason, which is cool because I'm sure there's going to be a giant day one patch anyway. Crazy to think that I will finally be playing this drat game in a little over 24 hours.

I'm one of those weird people that loved MGSV so everything I'm hearing about this game so far has me pretty pumped.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The store near my place is handing out copies at 11 pm tomorrow instead of midnight for some reason, which is cool because I'm sure there's going to be a giant day one patch anyway. Crazy to think that I will finally be playing this drat game in a little over 24 hours.

I'm one of those weird people that loved MGSV so everything I'm hearing about this game so far has me pretty pumped.

why is everyone comparing the game to MGSV? strong gameplay and mediocre story? when was the last time a poo poo story stopped anyone from buying the last decade-plus of final fantasy games though?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mgsv had by far the least amount of story, codec, and cutscenes in the series. That's the comparison.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
MGS V was depressing as a long time fan because it was supposed to be the conclusion to an epic series, istead we were just left unsatisfied, dare I say betrayed. FF series have the luxury of being able to reset the story with every iteration. MGS V did have great gameplay, and I can imagine as someone who was completely new to the series would not have shed too much thought on the lack of story I reckon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's not that story in MGSV was bad, it was just obviously incomplete and hastily patched together. If the gameplay in MGSV wasn't so loving good it wouldn't have reviewed nearly as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

MinibarMatchman posted:

why is everyone comparing the game to MGSV? strong gameplay and mediocre story? when was the last time a poo poo story stopped anyone from buying the last decade-plus of final fantasy games though?

Yeah, that's been the gist so far. I haven't read spoilers but I guess some people were saying the ending is really abrupt and the story itself feels very disjointed throughout, and MGSV was a major release that drew a ton of criticism for exactly that, so I can see why it would draw the comparison. (I don't even really agree with a lot of the criticism of V to begin with but that's another story)

I mean obviously I'd prefer a good story over a bad one, all else being equal, but that's not the reason I buy FF games (or really any games, tbh). If the gameplay is fun and polished and it has that FF charm, I'll be happy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

It's not that story in MGSV was bad, it was just obviously incomplete and hastily patched together.

after MGS4, which stuffed a War and Peace sized story that was loving awful beyond rational belief into a game, being relegated to cassette tapes was a godsend. maybe it will be the same with FF15 because everything involving the Lightning trilogy seemed terrible to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/nWl3qpB.gifv

MattEnth
Jul 12, 2016

OpenCritic founder
Reviews land tomorrow morning: http://opencritic.com/game/1512/final-fantasy-xv

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

after MGS4, which stuffed a War and Peace sized story that was loving awful beyond rational belief into a game, being relegated to cassette tapes was a godsend. maybe it will be the same with FF15 because everything involving the Lightning trilogy seemed terrible to me.

Metal Gear fans have been taught to appreciate insanely bad narrative pacing over the last two decades, so when they don't get a game that literally spoonfeeds every single thing they don't even know they should start caring about over the course of 10 to 30 minute cutscenes/static black backgrounds with two talking heads yapping at eachother, they hate it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Seeing that, I had to make this despite how cliche it is

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Person who got the game early: I might have missed it but what are the sidequests like? Are they straightforward "go here kill this", or "go here kill this and whoa hey here's a dungeon to explore", or I guess the more traditional JRPG/FF style "there's a side-dungeon here but the game won't give you any inclination unless you feverishly explore"

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?". Or is the story somewhat salvageable consisting of a slightly more mature cast this time around?

Apparently the characters are at least old enough to drive a loving car this time around so I really hope there are some slightly less childish drama elements in it that will prevent me from getting placed on a sexual predator watch list. Also, apparently the latter part of the game takes places 10-15 years after the first part too. Is that true?

SE should really consider targeting an older audience for their next Final Fantasy games having an older cast dealing with real problems instead of "How to cope with your first Jack Kerouac adventure across the country".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um what

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Avalanche posted:

"Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?"

:eyepop:

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

Avalanche posted:

Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?". Or is the story somewhat salvageable consisting of a slightly more mature cast this time around?

Apparently the characters are at least old enough to drive a loving car this time around so I really hope there are some slightly less childish drama elements in it that will prevent me from getting placed on a sexual predator watch list. Also, apparently the latter part of the game takes places 10-15 years after the first part too. Is that true?

SE should really consider targeting an older audience for their next Final Fantasy games having an older cast dealing with real problems instead of "How to cope with your first Jack Kerouac adventure across the country".

You pre-ordered a, ahem, "loving" video game before knowing the basic premise of the opening plot or reading anything at all? And have just decided that it somehow has an audience problem despite your lack of knowledge? What's that, you just wanted an excuse to say "loving" a lot and be edgy? Well I never!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Arist posted:

Um what

A lot of the older games always focused on a teenage cast of characters dealing with teenage problems. Probably why everyone considers FF7 the best game in the series because everyone is a kid when they played them. As you get older, you tend to give a poo poo less about Cloud's first date ever with a girl and Cloud's inability to cope with his failures of the past resulting in an alternative personality of him being the best soldier evah!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
the answer is yes you are a gay fag for playing final fantasy XV (15): Boyband Nova Japanesus

welcome, friend

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

keep the posts coming mate

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

InflateableFerret posted:

You pre-ordered a, ahem, "loving" video game before knowing the basic premise of the opening plot or reading anything at all? And have just decided that it somehow has an audience problem despite your lack of knowledge? What's that, you just wanted an excuse to say "loving" a lot and be edgy? Well I never!

Wow so defensive!

So does it have an audience problem or not? Can I play through this thing without cringing at every piece of dialogue even if it apparently has a lackluster plot/story?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Avalanche posted:

Wow so defensive!

So does it have an audience problem or not? Can I play through this thing without cringing at every piece of dialogue even if it apparently has a lackluster plot/story?

The problem is that the definition of cringe is very subjective. Maybe wait until the game is actually released and read some reviews before deciding to buy it?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

the answer is yes you are a gay fag for playing final fantasy XV (15): Boyband Nova Japanesus

welcome, friend

All I needed to know. Thanks

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADT1imaYZW0

just decide for yourself. i personally am going to embrace every minute of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?".
i think you should break up with your girlfriend

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Ok it's bad but not too bad. I'm down to give Cid as many rusty bits as he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Avalanche posted:

Ok it's bad but not too bad. I'm down to give Cid as many rusty bits as he wants.

it's Cidney now, and she wants more than your rusty bits.

• Locked thread