Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there any particular reason why Mekanism isn't available on the Curse launcher?

Yes. It's not on Curseforge.

As for why THAT is, I dunno. Aidan said he'd be putting it up there soon but that was immediately after 9.1's launch which was a while ago.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
FTB has beef with Mekanism and the UE mods. They've never really let it go and often exclude it from packs and make up lies about it. That's likely why he's in no rush to get it out on the curse platform.

At one point Mekanism could indeed be pretty lovely, but it has been server friendly for a while and only a few things are actually broken if you don't change the recipes (jet pack/digital miner/the mining thing whose name escapes me).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

extreme reactors

what are my passive coolant options if thermal expansion doesn't exist anymore??

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Diamond blocks? They are basically the best solid option anyway. They're no Enderium but they get the job done.

Shipon posted:

Was enderium the best option? I was always partial to cryotheum.

Best return for the least amount of effort, anyway.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Was enderium the best option? I was always partial to cryotheum.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

if you wanted to minmax big reactors the best way was actually 3 layers of cryotheum and a single outer layer of enderium

e.g.: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O5C8O5C8O5E4O

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I haven't played minecraft in a long time and I want to play with my friends, whats a cool modpack we should install to gently caress around in?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, after learning about Mage Quest and how it's a "learn how to use these magic mods" deal, I remembered why I only play skyblocks anymore: because I'll sit here and spend an hour regenerating worlds until I get a spawn point I like. :(

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

if you wanted to minmax big reactors the best way was actually 3 layers of cryotheum and a single outer layer of enderium

e.g.: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O5C8O5C8O5E4O

What goes in the corners?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uXs posted:

What goes in the corners?

Air. Radiation only propagates in cardinal directions from fuel rods.

Cryotheum/resonant ender spillover is fine, too. It doesn't help or harm anything.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Weird. And it's only 1 high?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uXs posted:

Weird. And it's only 1 high?

Yep. This config, one high, can sustain three turbines, 80 blades each, just fine. You can increase the height to do more if you want, I guess.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Did turbines ever get any sort of automation interface other than Computercraft? I think I could do something to automate running a turbine, the problem is that I don't know how to code in LUA, and don't want to learn how to code or download someone else's control program that's way too complicated for the kind of poo poo I want to do. I think I could do it with some simple, brute force, yes/no redstone gates and a bunch of pistons and redstone blocks to basically be RS latches, but that assumes that the redstone output ports for turbines exist like they do for the reactors.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

Did turbines ever get any sort of automation interface other than Computercraft? I think I could do something to automate running a turbine, the problem is that I don't know how to code in LUA, and don't want to learn how to code or download someone else's control program that's way too complicated for the kind of poo poo I want to do. I think I could do it with some simple, brute force, yes/no redstone gates and a bunch of pistons and redstone blocks to basically be RS latches, but that assumes that the redstone output ports for turbines exist like they do for the reactors.

They have redstone ports don't they? So anything that can do basic redstone logic. There are a bunch of tools for this, RedPower stuff, rednet controller, super circuit maker, etc...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay there seems to be some misinformation going around about taint, so here's the downlow:

1) Fibrous Taint cannot spread onto transparent blocks like glass and fences and ladders, but WILL spread onto the opaque sides of slabs and stairs.
2) Fibrous Taint does NOT go through walls. It spreads through corners(spreading diagonally) and can skip blocks vertically, but not horizontally, similar to how Grass blocks spread. A fenced off area clear of fibrous taint will stay that way unless there's a Tainted node near it. Fenced off with only fences, of course. Other transparent blocks will work too.
3) Tainted nodes spread fibrous taint and change the biome directly and do not care about y-level.
4) Fibrous Taint itself will change the biome to Tainted Lands. This is the primary method by which Tainted Lands spread. Underground Fibrous Taint will be a thorn in your side when you start clearing up an area.
5) Sufficiently elevated structures will stay clear of Fibrous Taint, even in the Tainted Land biome. If you make a ladder for access, be sure the taint can't spread onto your support column!
6) In Blightfall specifically, your dome is not completely secure, unless it's Omega. Since there are unsealed corners in the glass dome and the Pure node does not aggressively clean the borders of its territory there will occasionally be bits of fibrous taint at the corners of your dome. Keep livestock away from these spots, or put down more blocks yourself to keep out the taint.

I've heard of Fibrous Taint being spontaneously generated in Tainted Land areas which have no Tainted Nodes nearby, but I don't know for sure why it happens. It seems to be restricted to the surface and might only happen if there's no Fibrous Taint near that column of blocks or within a certain radius. Kind of like a way to prevent just bombing the surface to remove the effects of the biome?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 28, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

Honestly, there isn't much reason to automate turbines.

Turbines work best when you bring them up to speed and keep them there. This requires constant fuel burn, and manually tweaking the flow rates until you get a 900 or 1800 RPM. (The exact numbers are slightly lower for the optimal point, but I can't remember them off-hand. I want to say 1988 mB/t is the sweet spot for 37 Enderium coil blocks.) Bringing a turbine up to speed, even with the clutch, takes a long time, and isn't conducive to opportunistic starting and stopping like a passive reactor is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This pack got brought up in the Steam thread; it looks pretty impressive, but I haven't tried it yet myself. Has anyone given this a shot yet?

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, oftentimes comedy falls flat when you're really, really down. While not something on Steam(of course), in regards to that, when I went through some...bad poo poo, I had just installed the Minecraft: Life In The Woods modpack. It adds thousands of new items, recipes, foods, buffs, animals and monsters, and over a hundred new biomes to the game, as well as more robust villages and villagers with quests and poo poo. It is absolutely less about building absurd machines to automate everything, and more about exploring, farming, and building. If you have a good PC, it also has an optional shader pack that adds dynamic lighting, shadows, water, etc and makes the game look just really great. I put hundreds of hours into it, it really helped me out during a particularly rough time.

The modmaker created a launcher and such that basically does all the modding work for you, which is REALLY HELPFUL. http://www.lifeinthewoods.ca/

There's also Renaissance, a newer version of LITW that changes a ton of stuff, I think I prefer the original but it's up to you.
trailers for the original and Renaissance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8kOt2T1HM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXgt_k6v4c

And some screenshots I took

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's another reason why I've come to prefer Mekanism's turbine over BR's: no need to keep it at an RPM sweet spot or face your efficiency tanking. Turn it on and off as you like.

Also unless you tell it to dump excess steam it can't use any more than it needs, so if power is at max the steam just sits there. Generally the better option is 'When power is <x%, produce steam; stop producing steam when power is >y%.'

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 28, 2016

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Taffer posted:

They have redstone ports don't they? So anything that can do basic redstone logic. There are a bunch of tools for this, RedPower stuff, rednet controller, super circuit maker, etc...

No. The reactors themselves have ports to interact with Computercraft, RedNet, and Redstone, but the turbines are Computercraft or bust.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Honestly, there isn't much reason to automate turbines.

Turbines work best when you bring them up to speed and keep them there. This requires constant fuel burn, and manually tweaking the flow rates until you get a 900 or 1800 RPM. (The exact numbers are slightly lower for the optimal point, but I can't remember them off-hand. I want to say 1988 mB/t is the sweet spot for 37 Enderium coil blocks.) Bringing a turbine up to speed, even with the clutch, takes a long time, and isn't conducive to opportunistic starting and stopping like a passive reactor is.

I know, but I wouldn't want to do a lot of starting and stopping. What I'd do is use plain old redstone to set it up so that if the turbine gets to the lower end of optimal speed, start adding steam (where the steam comes from is another problem, but I already solved it). When it gets to the upper end of optimal speed, stop adding steam. There would be another set of controls to telling it when to engage and disengage the coils: when power gets below X% engage them, when it gets above Y% disengage them. The net result of this simple set of instructions is that the turbine stays at or near the proper speed and provides power when I need it, without using up all of my steam. There's Computercraft programs to do this, but like I said: way overkill for what I want to do.

I'd just throw my hands up and use Mekanism turbines instead, but those have no redstone controls at all that I can see. I'd have to rely exclusively on "give it steam/don't give it steam." The short version of where the steam comes from is "use the same 'if below X start, if above Y stop" to make steam, store it in an AE2/Refined Storage system or something, pump it in using aforementioned controls."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

I know, but I wouldn't want to do a lot of starting and stopping. What I'd do is use plain old redstone to set it up so that if the turbine gets to the lower end of optimal speed, start adding steam (where the steam comes from is another problem, but I already solved it). When it gets to the upper end of optimal speed, stop adding steam. There would be another set of controls to telling it when to engage and disengage the coils: when power gets below X% engage them, when it gets above Y% disengage them. The net result of this simple set of instructions is that the turbine stays at or near the proper speed and provides power when I need it, without using up all of my steam. There's Computercraft programs to do this, but like I said: way overkill for what I want to do.

I'd just throw my hands up and use Mekanism turbines instead, but those have no redstone controls at all that I can see. I'd have to rely exclusively on "give it steam/don't give it steam." The short version of where the steam comes from is "use the same 'if below X start, if above Y stop" to make steam, store it in an AE2/Refined Storage system or something, pump it in using aforementioned controls."

Yeah, that sort of setup isn't really optimal or practical with BigReactors turbines. I just tweak the control rods in the reactor and the flow rate on the turbine (or turbines) manually until I get equilibrium.

The problem with being clever like that is if a reactor isn't outputting all of its steam, it happily retains all of its heat. This causes the temperature to climb, which wrecks your fuel efficiency. You also can't use the clutch to "turn off" the turbine effectively; it'll absolutely stop it from generating power, but engaging the clutch causes the turbine's RPM ceiling to increase, which can throw you out of the sweet spot. Turbines really are designed to operate best when you can just operate them continuously and with carefully calibrated flow rates and control rod insertion.

Passive reactors, on the other hand, don't have these problems. They aren't as fuel efficient, but instead of taking minutes to recover from being off, they take about a second. A clever design I saw used an MFR rednet thingie to dynamically increase the insertion of fuel rods matching the reactor's internal power buffer, causing a natural equilibrium to emerge based solely on power requirements.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Passive reactors, on the other hand, don't have these problems. They aren't as fuel efficient, but instead of taking minutes to recover from being off, they take about a second. A clever design I saw used an MFR rednet thingie to dynamically increase the insertion of fuel rods matching the reactor's internal power buffer, causing a natural equilibrium to emerge based solely on power requirements.

This is really really easy to do, and it's what I do. You just put two RedNet ports (which are Big Reactors blocks) on the side of your reactor somewhere. Connect them RedNet cabling, then futz around with the settings on the ports until your logic is basically:

Stored Power Percentage -> Control Rod Insertion

This will continuously read your power percentage and adjust your fuel rod insertion to match. If your buffer is at 100%, the rods go in 100% and no fuel is used. If your buffer is at 0%, the rods go back to 0% and you crank at full power. If you're at 50% buffer, the rods go in 50% and your power is reduced some.

It won't be as efficient as finding a sweet spot and using big power storage options, but it's nice for being able to leave it alone and not waste power if your base isn't using anything.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

President Ark posted:

sounds neat, lemme scroll up for more info on-

- haha nope

ME^NE is definitely about turning MC into something like Factorio. It flings resources like quarries and that at you right away and you're supposed to setup a big quarry instead of running around mining by hand, and anything you want to make you want to setup a workflow to make.

It's not a traditional setup but I don't think it's gregtech grindy, it's more like a totally different type of game. I really enjoy it honestly just because it does feel really different, so I suggest that folks that really like the automation side of Minecraft check it out for sure.

Edit: Inserters are frickin' great and allow for a lot of the fun automation systems and are relatively cheap in this pack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody noticed a lot of save corruption in ChickenChunks? Most of my recent BFSR support has been about deleting chickenchunks folders. One person ran into it from my Lockdown save, of all things.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Something seriously weird happened in my Project Ozone 2 game. I had prepared myself to kill the Draconic Evolution chaos guardian (I had full draconic armor, soul bound all my stuff, set waypoint in case I die etc.), and with 30 lives I wasn't too concerned if it killed me. Well anyway I went in, the dragon flew through me and I got spammed by 'You have died. You now have xx lives left' for 1-2 seconds until I had no lives left and it closed and deleted my game :wtc:

I didn't even die, I was still alive with full health/shield, it just said I did until I had no lives left. I have a backup file from a few hours earlier but I'd rather first find out if this is a known thing before I try that again.

edit: oh well scratch that it deleted my backup as well, rip that game. So loving stupid. oops wrong directory it's still there.

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ovenmaster posted:

Something seriously weird happened in my Project Ozone 2 game. I had prepared myself to kill the Draconic Evolution chaos guardian (I had full draconic armor, soul bound all my stuff, set waypoint in case I die etc.), and with 30 lives I wasn't too concerned if it killed me. Well anyway I went in, the dragon flew through me and I got spammed by 'You have died. You now have xx lives left' for 1-2 seconds until I had no lives left and it closed and deleted my game :wtc:

I didn't even die, I was still alive with full health/shield, it just said I did until I had no lives left. I have a backup file from a few hours earlier but I'd rather first find out if this is a known thing before I try that again.

edit: oh well scratch that it deleted my backup as well, rip that game. So loving stupid. oops wrong directory it's still there.

Having never actually messed with Draconic Evolution I keep hearing about that happening - what are you supposed to even do to prevent the Chaos Guardian from just up and deleting your game because that's just terrible.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Quick review of the Roots mod that we were checking out on the Progress test server:
The manual and basic gameplay seems pretty well thought out and adds some interesting items (a way to create Wither skeletons with rare drops from nether wort is helpful). You need a basic farming setup to get started in the mod. A lot of the spells seem to have great utility and might combine in interesting ways with other mods.

On the surface it seems like a promising combination between the rituals from Witchery, the wand focuses from Thaumcraft and the minibosses from Botania. There's also an Otherworld in development which seems a bit like the Witchery spirit world.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get very far with the mod. You get a client crash when trying to do any summons, which are required to advance. The server also got taken down by several different crashes in the mod (ender pearl throwing now crashes for some reason, and trying to move the mod's multiblock totems will also take down the server hard.)

While reading the source code I found a couple backdoors that the authors coded in. That's pretty much the last straw for me with this mod.
Of course, on raising the issue with them, it's not a big deal. Minecraft modding.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pubic void nullo posted:

While reading the source code I found a couple backdoors that the authors coded in. That's pretty much the last straw for me with this mod.
Of course, on raising the issue with them, it's not a big deal. Minecraft modding.
People with the attitude that stuff is just kind of funny need to play games with more assholes--I mean, strangers.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
When you said 'backdoor' i was expecting more than 'creative flight and immobilizing players in the extremely unlikely event that the developer is both a: on your server and b: has an item you can only get via admin commands'. I feel like it's pretty harmless, since if you gave them access to the admin console then that's nothing. There's similar crap in ExtraUtils iirc.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 1, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

When you said 'backdoor' i was expecting more than 'creative flight and immobilizing players in the extremely unlikely event that the developer is both a: on your server and b: has an item you can only get via admin commands'. I feel like it's pretty harmless, since if you gave them access to the admin console then that's nothing. There's similar crap in ExtraUtils iirc.

He read the code, not me, but if I understand correctly, it's checking the inventory of every player on the server every tick. A joke - sure, whatever. But a joke that affects the performance of everyone that uses your mod? C'mon now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Attention BFSR Dad Bar goons, you are now famous on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbNjA2-zRKM&t=685s

Edit: Okay you're just kind of on YouTube now.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I know some mod devs, one put a backdoor in pixelmon that means that the devs can always ride pokemon and they automatically get a dev cape on any server running pixelmon, and they also get in his case - he becomes shiny.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Taffer posted:

He read the code, not me, but if I understand correctly, it's checking the inventory of every player on the server every tick. A joke - sure, whatever. But a joke that affects the performance of everyone that uses your mod? C'mon now.

No, it's not that bad. The block in question was
code:
@SubscribeEvent(priority = EventPriority.HIGHEST)
	public void onLivingTick(LivingUpdateEvent event){
		if (event.getEntityLiving() instanceof EntityPlayer){
			EntityPlayer player = (EntityPlayer) event.getEntityLiving();
			float boost = 0f;
			if (player.isSprinting()){
				for (int i = 0; i < player.inventory.getSizeInventory(); i ++){
					if (player.inventory.getStackInSlot(i) != null){
						if (player.inventory.getStackInSlot(i).getItem() == RegistryManager.talismanPursuit){
							player.getFoodStats().addExhaustion(0.015f);
                                                        boost = 1.0f;
                                                        (snip)
So if a player is sprinting, it scans every slot in their inventory 20 times a second. Which might actually run ok, but as I was saying, I can see how modded servers start running slowly once you get enough mods subscibed to events and doing nonsense like this.
I'm no Java coder but does that mean that a new EntityPlayer is being discarded once a tick? And is that standard practice? I noticed memory usage going up by 30MB/sec until the GC runs every 5 seconds or so.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Those playing material energy natural capitalism (i think thats the name) how are you getting redstone dust? Ive sort of exhausted what i can in the nether and the 10 dust for 3 coins or so isnt good enough :/

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I found redstone plenty in the overworld. Do you mean something different from the regular redstone?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I found redstone plenty in the overworld. Do you mean something different from the regular redstone?

Nope i mean redstone :/ all i find is red jasper which gives energetic redstone.

I may have to go on an extended hike. Hopefully it appears on the ore finder.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so how come the void miner from environmental tech is so lovely

like i sunk about 64 diamonds into this motherfucker and it's giving me like three gold ore and a whole load of pointless poo poo like peridot each time i go gently caress around in my workshop for a bit. i don't think Hermitpack has any other options for ore-out-of-nowhere, but it does have a lot of stripmining tools

e: oh yeah there's the Orechid i guess

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Nope i mean redstone :/ all i find is red jasper which gives energetic redstone.

I may have to go on an extended hike. Hopefully it appears on the ore finder.

I just found a chasm amongst a hosed up lava pool cave system and it had redstone ore at the bottom around where you'd normally find redstone.

Though I sort of stopped playing when I hit a 'What is the point of all of this I'm doing?' wall.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so how come the void miner from environmental tech is so lovely

like i sunk about 64 diamonds into this motherfucker and it's giving me like three gold ore and a whole load of pointless poo poo like peridot each time i go gently caress around in my workshop for a bit. i don't think Hermitpack has any other options for ore-out-of-nowhere, but it does have a lot of stripmining tools

e: oh yeah there's the Orechid i guess
I found it pretty useful. Once you get an Envirotech solar array feeding it (or even better, a tier 2) you'll really be rolling in the ores. With the right lens it can focus on diamonds to help pay for itself, and though I had to manually power it with generators at first it did cover the cost of the eventual solars I put over it.
I never got any peridot or whatever, so I have to assume that when I was trimming down the Hermitpack I must have removed whatever mod adds such a useless ore in the first place.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm trying some 1.10.2 modpacks but did Mojang remove the FoV slider in the options menu, or move it somewhere else I can't find? The default FoV is really obnoxiously narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have two flesh golems with harvest cores, order upgrades, and magic glasses. They spend most of their time just staring at the full-grown crops in their 16x16 fenced-in area. Sometimes they'll go knock out just one of them. What the hell?

Edit: Figured it out. They have a much shorter range than gather golems.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 3, 2016