Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You okay there, champ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

it's Cidney now, and she wants more than your rusty bits.

Lemme guess. She wants Mythril shafts too huh?

I'm down bro.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Avalanche posted:

Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?". Or is the story somewhat salvageable consisting of a slightly more mature cast this time around?

Apparently the characters are at least old enough to drive a loving car this time around so I really hope there are some slightly less childish drama elements in it that will prevent me from getting placed on a sexual predator watch list. Also, apparently the latter part of the game takes places 10-15 years after the first part too. Is that true?

SE should really consider targeting an older audience for their next Final Fantasy games having an older cast dealing with real problems instead of "How to cope with your first Jack Kerouac adventure across the country".

Yikes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it would be weird to have people over at my place in my 30s for presumably like, a dinner party or maybe hosting someone's gender-reveal party for their unborn child, to then sit down and make them watch me play a video game

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Person who got the game early: I might have missed it but what are the sidequests like? Are they straightforward "go here kill this", or "go here kill this and whoa hey here's a dungeon to explore", or I guess the more traditional JRPG/FF style "there's a side-dungeon here but the game won't give you any inclination unless you feverishly explore"

The majority of the side quests (of which there are many) are MMO-style quests where you're either harvesting something, killing something, etc. There are a few that are more involved - you'll get a few that focus in on a particular party member, for example (I've gotten quests for Prompto and Gladiolus so far), and some that have a bit of narrative wrapped around them - but they're the minority.

Then there are a metric asston of hunts, which are all about running out into the world and killing a mob, just like FFXII. You gain hunt ranks up to 10, I believe, and some of the hardest hunts are post-game only.

There have been two side quests that I've gotten that took me to a dungeon. Otherwise, there are optional dungeons that you'll find while exploring that you get a side-quest to complete when you enter. There are a handful that are part of the main quest, too.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 28, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm one of those weird people that loved MGSV so everything I'm hearing about this game so far has me pretty pumped.
There's nothing weird about loving MGSV. :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Y'all gettin' trolled :cmon:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

1.02 patch is up, by the way. It's another 8gb download.

But you'll be able to warp straight forward outside of battle now!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just realized i'll have a huge dilemma come tomorrow... what if they deliver my game but the special dlc hasnt been added to the store so i cant redeem it yet

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i think you should break up with your girlfriend

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Avalanche posted:

Lemme guess. She wants Mythril shafts too huh?

I'm down bro.

Could you do me a favor and post more, please?

I love reading dumbass poo poo written by loving idiots.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Extra Amazon Road Trip Code: Taken!

Xad fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 28, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

It only has HDR on the PS4 Pro version.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't like the idea of harvesting quests but hunting quests sound good if they are actually like FF12's (you got fight what's essentially a boss/mini-boss)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

24 hours remain in this 10 year long wait.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Xad posted:

Extra Amazon Road Trip Code: 2062891633286420

Used this thing for the gold car I guess. Tyty.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VanillaGorilla posted:

1.02 patch is up, by the way. It's another 8gb download.

But you'll be able to warp straight forward outside of battle now!

I uh, really hope these patches are combined when I get my disc maybe tomorrow because 14GB will take me a couple nights.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, Amazon hasn't even began shipping my copy yet. RIP.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How big is the map? I've seen that comparison to Witcher 3 and GTA that's been posted around for a bit, but I seriously doubt it's going to be that big. I'm guessing large swathes of it aren't explorable or something. So far the game seems to have a large deal of content to keep me occupied for a while. I've sort of felt a little empty since I beat Witcher 3. Tried going back to play Fallout 4 which is really meh. I feel like there's not a big variety of enemies at all. Always a raider or super mutant. Also tried DA:I which doesn't seem to be too horrible but meh. Maybe it'll get better once the game opens up more(I just got into the hinterlands). Hoping this game will really scratch the itch. I loved FFX and 7. 12 seemed pretty decent but the story bored me and I wound up quitting in the large desert area. I really liked the idea of the hunts though, so that excited me for this game.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 28, 2016

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Legin Noslen posted:

Could you do me a favor and post more, please?

I love reading dumbass poo poo written by loving idiots.

Keep them iceburns coming bro.

Gonna go eat out some of them noctus muffins blond haired skinny kid keeps servin.

Bro.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

It only has HDR on the PS4 Pro version.

Is this for real? I find this hard to fathom for some reason, the XB1 should be more than capable of it, right?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fivegears4reverse posted:

Is this for real? I find this hard to fathom for some reason, the XB1 should be more than capable of it, right?

it's barely capable of 900p

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Two reviews are out early:

http://thisgengaming.com/2016/11/28/final-fantasy-xv-review-a-disappointing-experience-for-a-first-time-player-xbox-one/ 7/10
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xv-review-1630801 8/10

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Avalanche posted:

"Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?"

Just FYI, your friends are so deep in the closet they're halfway to Narnia

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

1.02 patch notes:

Battle

Added actions inspired by the “Omen” trailer produced by Digic Pictures to the game:
– “Shift (Warp) Drop Kick” (When daggers are equipped).
– “Backward Shift (Warp) Magic” (Elemental Magic Activation within a short distance).
Below are examples of Wait Mode-exclusive abilities added to Ability Call to improve the Wait Mode experience:
– Libra Speed Increase
By using Libra you can obtain information more quickly.
– Wait Gauge Recovery
The Wait Gauge will recover upon defeating an enemy.
– Surprise Attack Shift Break
When Shift Breaking to an enemy that isn’t targeting you it’s easy to destroy the targeted part.
– Final Blow Shift Break
When Shift Breaking to an enemy with less than half HP, the damage multiplier will increase.
Additional battle screen effects added to make it easier for players to understand their HP status:
– When HP is less than 25%, the whole screen will be covered by a light red filter.
– When in a pinch, the whole screen will be covered by a dark red filter.
– The Enemy Whistle will be available to use after downloading the patch. You can call monsters but they won’t always appear.
– Movement taken at the time of a MP Burst is cancelled. Trying to shift in MP Burst will cause movements to fail.

Field

You can now shift forward in the field outside of battle.
Music Player item has been added so that you can listen to your favorite songs while walking.

Menu

A gallery has been added to the main menu where you can see the dishes acquired by Ignis and the fish caught by Noctis.

Regalia

Opening the menu during auto-drive will not halt driving.
Regalia Shop added that lets you shop while riding in the Regalia.

Event

Event scenes from Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV and the “Omen” trailer were added as they exceeded the disc space capacity.

Additional Improvements

Various bug fixes.
Adjustments to gameplay comfort:
– Camera adjusted in narrow areas.
– Menu use improved.
– Addition of other functions to enhance convenience.
Adjustments to improve the main scenario experience:
– Changes to towns were made to fit the scenario.
– Changes to the open world were made to fit the scenario.
Side-quests have been balanced, dish types added, added fish types and fishing locations.
Leviathan boss encounter and battle experience further improved.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

OK I have tons of problems with this game, but that second review just called a Yoko Shimomura soundtrack 'unremarkable'? loving LOL

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I shouldn't be surprised that the sites most willing to break embargo are also host to the most terribly written reviews but yikes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is the english audio full of the anime grunt like ff13 was? I watched some recordings of the recent japanese demo and it was frankly unbearable.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Somehow I've avoided all recent info, kingsglaive and everything besides gifs of trailers and I know nothing of names besides noctis and prompto

I'm probably going to enjoy this regardless though because my favorite final fantasies were 10's sequel and 13's sequels, which depending on the person can give me amazing taste or the taste of a man with no tongue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey, just dropping by to ask: will this game turn me gay?
I am asking because the last game I played turned me straight, and I desperately want to return to my old self. So I need to get a game that will turn me back to being gay.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It might make you want to listen to Backstreet Boys. At least, that's what's happening with me. Every time I see footage of it Quit Playing Games With My Heart plays in my head (original version and various remixes)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

I am asking because the last game I played turned me straight, and I desperately want to return to my old self. So I need to get a game that will turn me back to being gay.

Yes, but you need to followup with a regimen in undertale for best effect

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Augus posted:

I wish people would read the OP!!

Terper posted:

Oh poo poo, it's Final Fantasy the Fifteenth, and it's releasing November 29th 2016, worldwide. Join up with our friends Noct, Iggy, Gladio and Prompto as they fight back against the oppressive Niflheim Empire and attempt to reclaim the throne of Lucis, and have a gay old time doing it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Sunning posted:

The FFXIII sequels have a reputation of being quick cash grabs

Wait they do?

Because they literally both felt like exact reactions to fan complaints. (!corrdiors and anime tropes oh my!- multiple ending adventure with a story that took it self less seriously !more towns!- both games had cities that were worth spending time in even if you didn't like the characters etc)

Final Fantasies have never had cities like the ones in lightning returns.

And they were actually fun

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are there five episodes or six for Brotherhood? I'm seeing conflicting sources.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Raxivace posted:

Are there five episodes or six for Brotherhood? I'm seeing conflicting sources.

5 released, 6th was a pre-order thing

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How big is the map? I've seen that comparison to Witcher 3 and GTA that's been posted around for a bit, but I seriously doubt it's going to be that big. I'm guessing large swathes of it aren't explorable or something. So far the game seems to have a large deal of content to keep me occupied for a while. I've sort of felt a little empty since I beat Witcher 3. Tried going back to play Fallout 4 which is really meh. I feel like there's not a big variety of enemies at all. Always a raider or super mutant. Also tried DA:I which doesn't seem to be too horrible but meh. Maybe it'll get better once the game opens up more(I just got into the hinterlands). Hoping this game will really scratch the itch. I loved FFX and 7. 12 seemed pretty decent but the story bored me and I wound up quitting in the large desert area. I really liked the idea of the hunts though, so that excited me for this game.

About the world map
Only a fraction of the clay map is actually in the game. Maybe 1/4th to 1/5th of it. The rest was just turned into ocean or left off the map. You also do not get to explore all of the places that made it in, after 3 open world regions it goes linear and a large part of it you're just watching pass by while on a train.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That seems a little disappointing. Does the world feel small because of it? I know it's probably hard to compare, but how does the world and it's areas to explore compare to say, FFX? I'm not sure where you are getting your info, so you may not be able to answer. Mostly just wondering out loud here.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That seems a little disappointing. Does the world feel small because of it? I know it's probably hard to compare, but how does the world and it's areas to explore compare to say, FFX? I'm not sure where you are getting your info, so you may not be able to answer. Mostly just wondering out loud here.

No, it feels quite large, and is pretty varied (has several distinct biomes, etc.). Just running around the world doing stuff has occupied about 30 hours of my time, and I'm not even close to done with all the hunts, still have over half the main story, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Important Question: Does Ignis recreate that dessert Noct tried before?

• Locked thread