Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I know this grip because it's how I do a deadlift. It's also how the bar ends up during reps. But you can you really turn gravity against it the other way without issue while getting ready to do some skull crushers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maybe just don't do them then.

If you can't do a lift without hurting yourself (especially something as pointless as skullcrushers) it's better not to do it at all than to show up to the gym in gloves.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Maybe just don't do them then.

If you can't do a lift without hurting yourself (especially something as pointless as skullcrushers) it's better not to do it at all than to show up to the gym in gloves.
I don't have gloves or get hurt. That was the other guy. I've just been getting a callus a bit below where they normally form lately and I was trying to improve my lifting technique. I'll definitely try to grip it that way the entire time and hopefully it resolves it. If not, it might be from other lifts.

that is my hand with the part where the callus is circled. It's really not that bad I guess.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I recently discovered cable shrugs and its revolutionized my trap game. no more shall my forearms fatigue first

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Guys just wear gloves when you lift problem solved

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Tolkien minority posted:

I recently discovered cable shrugs and its revolutionized my trap game. no more shall my forearms fatigue first

I'm going to try these next time, everything cable seems better for some reason

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
And i wear gloves when i lift at home, just not at the gym because i dont need them there but i would if i did

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I wasn't serious. Gloves are for girls

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

And guys with girly hands

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I wear gloves when I deadlift because the bar at my normal gym has very little grip to the metal.

I am a bitch

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I use chalk. Liquid chalk
it comes in a bottle. You squirt it on your hands, rub it in, let it dry for 10 seconds and then your grip is like 500% stronger

way cooler than gloves too

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Got a preferred brand or something?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

crime fighting hog posted:

I wear gloves when I deadlift because the bar at my normal gym has very little grip to the metal.

I am a bitch

A bitch wouldn't intentionally make something that's difficult even harder for themselves.

You're hardcore, lady.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Lots of gyms don't allow liquid chalk so check with yours before you waste money on it

Also 99.9% of people in this thread don't need liquid chalk because they deadlift like 225lbs

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
my gym has free chalk and I only wear gloves at work so I don't chip my nail polish tiny lowtax :(

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Just grab the bar and lift. If your hands hurt change the position.

How do the guys in like Serbian prisons lift weights without crying about callouses?

I find that when I deadlift I have almost none of the bar in my hand/palm, I end up doing s sort of mixed thumbless grip with the bar in the curled part of my fingers. It looks like I'd have my fingers wedged in a cliff. No callouses on my palms and only on the joints on my fingers.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
how much do you deadlift without thumbs

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a goodly amount of nerve damage in my hands, gloves help a great deal with my grip.

Also other peoples germs.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Gloves protect against the inch of rust on my barbell

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Winnie the poo poo posted:

how much do you deadlift without thumbs

only 140

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym-n9yPr88k

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Lots of gyms don't allow liquid chalk so check with yours before you waste money on it

Also 99.9% of people in this thread don't need liquid chalk because they deadlift like 225lbs

People who lift less than me are inferior beings and I actively hate them also, but I'm weak so I love everybody.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Keg posted:

People who lift less than me are inferior beings and I actively hate them also, but I'm weak so I love everybody.

Same except for everything past the comma

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

A bitch wouldn't intentionally make something that's difficult even harder for themselves.

You're hardcore, lady.

Dudes come up after I finish sets of 245 and tell me to leave the plates on so they can warm up and I just smile.

Someday I'll be buff. Someday

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Nah. Someday you'll hurt yourself then realize it was all stupid and pointless anyways. Wait, why do I need to even bench 300?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you dont lift HUGE NUMBERS then you lose the game

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Nah. Someday you'll hurt yourself then realize it was all stupid and pointless anyways. Wait, why do I need to even bench 300?
So you can join me in the 3+ plate club.

There is no reason not to wear gloves if they help you. If you find a way to get a few more reps or sets with gloves/straps/knee wraps/whatever you should probably use that to get more swole. If you don't use it because of what someone else says you honostly do not deserve to be swole.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

E_P posted:

So you can join me in the 3+ plate club.

There is no reason not to wear gloves if they help you. If you find a way to get a few more reps or sets with gloves/straps/knee wraps/whatever you should probably use that to get more swole. If you don't use it because of what someone else says you honostly do not deserve to be swole.

Anyone who lifts just for themselves and doesn't think it matters how other people think about them is a self-absorbed twat imho.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Im getting swole for YOUR enjoyment

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I lift because others can't

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

crime fighting hog posted:

Dudes come up after I finish sets of 245 and tell me to leave the plates on so they can warm up and I just smile.

Someday I'll be buff. Someday

Warming up @245 sounds like a ticket to an unnecessary injury IMO. You'll get the last laugh

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Eldred posted:

Warming up @245 sounds like a ticket to an unnecessary injury IMO. You'll get the last laugh

Usually I'm being sarcastic as hell here but this actually happened last week. I still consider myself a novice in the weight room but see lots of guys with poor form jerking weights around and poo poo.

Then again they're way more ripped than me and have sick ribcage tribal tats

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Remember warmup weights are relative

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fallows posted:

Remember warmup weights are relative

Well of course, but 245 is an awful lot of weight for your first warm up set considering most people use that as a form check.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Everything is a warmup before your working set. If I squat 4 plates for reps then 365 is a warmup.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Benched 90kg for 4 reps, I'm slowly getting to my 100kg x 5 goal!

Makes up for the fact my shoulder press is still poo poo though.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Nothing like spending time in the rural south to improve one's body image.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Have they started worshiping you as the reincarnated Adonis? Or are they trying to kill you because your body proportions are all out of whack compared to their own like an alien, or maybe a communist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
They seem to think I'm a prophet of the 5-8th coming of our Lord and saviour, Jesus Christ