Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I know I have the ~*~wrong console for modding~*~ but has anyone figured out a good way to determine "correct" load order on the PS4? While I'm at it, any good mods that aren't mentioned in the OP (since most of those can't be released for PS4)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I know I have the ~*~wrong console for modding~*~

All consoles are bad for modding.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

All consoles are bad for modding.

True, but the bone is getting stuff like the unofficial patch and some of trainwiz's things so it's obviously less bad in this case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

Using Wrye Bash and NMM for now, I'll probably clear everything out when NewMM pops up though.

Hell, you could still use an alternative start mod; LAL still has an option to do vanilla start from the cell. There's also an option in IA's spell menu that allows for better compatibility with the Helgen opening, which worked for the most part for me in my testing (still had Ralof and Hadvir switching armors randomly during the cart ride and dragon attack though), but supposedly that menu will cause crashes if you open it a second time (should be fixed next version).

I think part of the issue with IA here has to do with how it adds unique armors to several of the NPCs you meet during the intro.

BurntCornMuffin, I remember hearing somewhere that if you've got IA and want to play through the vanilla opening without anything breaking, you should use LAL and wait around in the starting cell a bit so that IA and other mods can initialize properly. After that you can just select the vanilla start and everything should be fine. That's assuming you've got your FPS locked to 60.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
How are people even capable of modding on consoles? I didn't think people made mods other than for pc, it seems like it would be way more hassle than it would be worth.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Aquasnake posted:

How are people even capable of modding on consoles? I didn't think people made mods other than for pc, it seems like it would be way more hassle than it would be worth.

SSE comes with Bethesda.net included on PC and consoles, so console users can get their mods from there.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

I've been using Smilodon, the successor to Wildcat, to make combat more "realistic" and so far it's been all over the place. At lower levels with my suplexing punchcat I was doing all right against Forsworn as long as I managed how many enemies I fought at once. Now at level 22 I'm going through the East Empire Company warehouse in Solitude and bandits are taking 10+ sneak attacks from a crossbow. If I get near them I'm liable to be locked into a killmove and instantly killed, even with 220 health. A power attack with a dagger took me below half health. Granted, I wanted a challenge, but this has turned into quickload simulator. I don't remember vanilla having scaling this hosed up, and even then on expert there were no bandits taking nearly 1000 damage to die.

Update: It seems to be mostly Skyrim doing this. At level 22 I'm seeing bandit marauders, which are level 25, have a shitload of perks, and two-handers get a 1.75x damage bonus. Uninstalling Smilodon did nothing and the game really wanted to drive this point home as the first bandit marauder I found magnetically pulled me into a killmove and decapitated me at full health. Is there any way around this bullshit?

Update II: Installed the newer version of Smilodon, playing on adept, with the extra melee damage off. One-shotted by a bash attack from 225 health.

Dumbfire Rocketman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 28, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

I've been using Smilodon, the successor to Wildcat, to make combat more "realistic" and so far it's been all over the place. At lower levels with my suplexing punchcat I was doing all right against Forsworn as long as I managed how many enemies I fought at once. Now at level 22 I'm going through the East Empire Company warehouse in Solitude and bandits are taking 10+ sneak attacks from a crossbow. If I get near them I'm liable to be locked into a killmove and instantly killed, even with 220 health. A power attack with a dagger took me below half health. Granted, I wanted a challenge, but this has turned into quickload simulator. I don't remember vanilla having scaling this hosed up, and even then on expert there were no bandits taking nearly 1000 damage to die.

In real life, combat is brutal, enjoy the ~immersion~

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

Given my current hardware circumstances, it's either this or oldrim under WINE & I can't play vanilla post-SPERG

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A while ago I found a mod through either this thread or the last that gave you a spell that basically created a container that contained one of each item added by each ESP that you have loaded, so you could basically grab stuff from your mods without having to find the refids and console them in. I'm doing a fresh install and completely forgot the name of this mod and really want it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Internet Wizard posted:

A while ago I found a mod through either this thread or the last that gave you a spell that basically created a container that contained one of each item added by each ESP that you have loaded, so you could basically grab stuff from your mods without having to find the refids and console them in. I'm doing a fresh install and completely forgot the name of this mod and really want it.

AddItemMenu does this, and it's pretty great. Dunno if it exists for SSE, it's probably SKSE-as-gently caress considering

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Psion posted:

AddItemMenu does this, and it's pretty great. Dunno if it exists for SSE, it's probably SKSE-as-gently caress considering

Yes thank you that's exactly the one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

Update: It seems to be mostly Skyrim doing this. At level 22 I'm seeing bandit marauders, which are level 25, have a shitload of perks, and two-handers get a 1.75x damage bonus. Uninstalling Smilodon did nothing and the game really wanted to drive this point home as the first bandit marauder I found magnetically pulled me into a killmove and decapitated me at full health. Is there any way around this bullshit?

Update II: Installed the newer version of Smilodon, playing on adept, with the extra melee damage off. One-shotted by a bash attack from 225 health.

Smilodon is not "the successor" to Wildcat, it's Wildcat with everything the PS4 doesn't allow stripped out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There must be some combination of mods to make combat fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

playing a different game could, technically, be considered modding Skyrim

(okay it really can't)

but the fundamentals of how Skyrim does combat are pretty boring, so there's really no way a mod can polish that up. start with poo poo, mod it to be slightly better poo poo... but it's still poo poo.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'm on a run through with my very first wildcat attempt and god drat. Started out not so bad, now if I run into 2 or more humanoid enemies and one is levelled more than the basic base, I just get stunlocked and pummeled into goo.

Also found a bug using localised thieves guild mod - after selecting which city I wanna do a job in, Vex just says 'OK here's the job', then nothing happens. Didn't really matter, I just used the other thief guild mod to make brynjolf give me the chain anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Most of you playing SSE are doing so to try it out, because that's the only version you have, because the performance gains are real?

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

try mortal enemies out if you havent, i made it because skyrim melee was poo poo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

el dingo posted:

I'm on a run through with my very first wildcat attempt and god drat. Started out not so bad, now if I run into 2 or more humanoid enemies and one is levelled more than the basic base, I just get stunlocked and pummeled into goo.

Also found a bug using localised thieves guild mod - after selecting which city I wanna do a job in, Vex just says 'OK here's the job', then nothing happens. Didn't really matter, I just used the other thief guild mod to make brynjolf give me the chain anyway.

It's legit tough at times, but if you can get the drop on people they go down fast. Companions aren't optional.

One dungeon I gave up and just started running through, with about nine draugr hotfootin it behind me, then came out the end and they all spawned with me. I leapt off the drop at the end and Lydia (who had been absent the whole dungeon, thanks girl) turned up just then and we had a wild crazy brawl and pummelled them all into jelly. Was super fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rinkles posted:

Most of you playing SSE are doing so to try it out, because that's the only version you have, because the performance gains are real?

I got it for free and it's right there, and it fixes shadows (and the vanilla SSE really is a lot prettier than vanilla Oldrim). That's about it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

el dingo posted:

Trying it out myself too, it's hard. Can't put it on super hard settings because it's just too hard, left it on expert.

Finding things like Orc Berserker Rage extremely useful for boss fights and have to prechug potions. Shield + sword combo works well with time slow and power bash attacks.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Playing wildcat on legendary difficulty is like the most fun I've had. I'm level 20-something and some falmers can still mess me up quick if I'm not paying attention. And I'm creating and using healing potions for the first time ever!

And I'm playing SE because it's really stable and pretty and free.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Trying it out myself too, it's hard. Can't put it on super hard settings because it's just too hard, left it on expert.

Finding things like Orc Berserker Rage extremely useful for boss fights and have to prechug potions. Shield + sword combo works well with time slow and power bash attacks.

i like that feeling of dying a couple of times and poring through my bag of tricks to find a way to beat him. It's not one that i normally associate with skryim.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

SSE runs so much better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe I shoulda waited.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

sebmojo posted:

It's legit tough at times, but if you can get the drop on people they go down fast. Companions aren't optional.

One dungeon I gave up and just started running through, with about nine draugr hotfootin it behind me, then came out the end and they all spawned with me. I leapt off the drop at the end and Lydia (who had been absent the whole dungeon, thanks girl) turned up just then and we had a wild crazy brawl and pummelled them all into jelly. Was super fun.

poo poo, I never even considered companions, thanks!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

I got the free upgrade, but it runs sooo much better and is so very much more stable. I'd never go back.

Turns out being virtually crash-free is the best mod of all.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Rinkles posted:

My computer was like "Here's a free improved version of a game you swore you would never touch again. You sure you don't just want one quick hit? I'm sure you'll be able to stop any time."

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
My favorite thing about Wildcat is giving someone a spinal injury with my fists during a brawl. Sorry I maimed you for life in our barfight, dude!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Guys, I couldn't find a solution to a specific problem: once I installed ENBoost, the memory patch warning at new game made a comeback - I had installed the unofficial patch/SKSE/crash/bug fixes already. If I have ENBoost set up and create a manual SKSE.ini for the memory issue, does that conflict with the fix that was already set?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Transmetropolitan posted:

Guys, I couldn't find a solution to a specific problem: once I installed ENBoost, the memory patch warning at new game made a comeback - I had installed the unofficial patch/SKSE/crash/bug fixes already. If I have ENBoost set up and create a manual SKSE.ini for the memory issue, does that conflict with the fix that was already set?

What memory patch warning, what does it say?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

What memory patch warning, what does it say?

"Warning: SKSE memory fix not active in your game". Only started to show after I installed ENBoost. I already tested making the skse.ini manually and it goes away, but I am wondering if that sets up some conflict that might be unaware.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

"Warning: SKSE memory fix not active in your game". Only started to show after I installed ENBoost. I already tested making the skse.ini manually and it goes away, but I am wondering if that sets up some conflict that might be unaware.

I think you can probably ignore this. As long as you have some form of the memory fix don't worry about it. ENB is for some reason looking for that one specific fix. But as far as I know, there isn't any problem with having two different memory fixes, which tbh seems doubtful to me so idk.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I got the free upgrade, but it runs sooo much better and is so very much more stable. I'd never go back.

Turns out being virtually crash-free is the best mod of all.

To be honest, besides SPERG and some quality of life stuff, what I want most is a 60fps Skyrim with better shadows and SSAO. The Oldrim shadows are sooo bad. I thought that was a PS3 thing, but nope. And the ENB framerate (on my mahcine) is just a bit too inconsistent for my taste (too many dips near cities and mist).

If I was given the choice again, I'd probably get SSE (when the modscene catches up, and it's on sale).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I think you can probably ignore this. As long as you have some form of the memory fix don't worry about it. ENB is for some reason looking for that one specific fix. But as far as I know, there isn't any problem with having two different memory fixes, which tbh seems doubtful to me so idk.

Alright! After all this prancing, I think I can just play it (lol). Thanks again!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

To be honest, besides SPERG and some quality of life stuff, what I want most is a 60fps Skyrim with better shadows and SSAO. The Oldrim shadows are sooo bad. I thought that was a PS3 thing, but nope. And the ENB framerate (on my mahcine) is just a bit too inconsistent for my taste (too many dips near cities and mist).

If I was given the choice again, I'd probably get SSE (when the modscene catches up, and it's on sale).

Otoh, I just found an eyepatch from one of the armor packs.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

Otoh, I just found an eyepatch from one of the armor packs.

I don't know why I feel the need to give like every character I ever play in Skyrim an eyepatch but I'm glad Immersive Armors' got my back.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The SKSE memory patch is disabled by default.
In order for it to be active in your game, you need to manually create that skse.ini and input the following:
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is "desired value + 256". So now the game will reserve 512mb & 256mb, instead of 2x 256mb blocks on launch.
Be careful about increasing these values willy nilly. There's no need to for the game to allocate a much larger block then it needs and doing so can cause crashes. If you're still running out of memory, try using this skse plugin to find out how big of block your modded setup needs.
Also if DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is less than 1024 then ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 256. If DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is 1024 or greater ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 512 or the game will crash on start.

Likewise crash fixes' memory allocator patch is also disabled by default.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2016

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Raygereio posted:

The SKSE memory patch is disabled by default.
In order for it to be active in your game, you need to manually create that skse.ini and input the following:
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is "desired value + 256". So now the game will reserve 512mb & 256mb, instead of 2x 256mb blocks on launch.
Be careful about increasing these values willy nilly. There's no need to for the game to allocate a much larger block then it needs and doing so can cause crashes. If you're still running out of memory, try using this skse plugin to find out how big of block your modded setup needs.
Also if DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is less than 1024 then ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 256. If DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB is 1024 or greater ScrapHeapSizeMB must be 512 or the game will crash on start.

Likewise crash fixes' memory allocator patch is also disabled by default.

I found this didn't work until I created another folder at Skyrim/Data/SKSE and putting the ini file in there. SKSE is installed somewhere else but it works just making a folder in Data called SKSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Serenity Dove posted:

I found this didn't work until I created another folder at Skyrim/Data/SKSE and putting the ini file in there. SKSE is installed somewhere else but it works just making a folder in Data called SKSE.
That is actually where it's supposed to go.
\Data\SKSE\skse.ini
If you're using MO, creating a new subfolder in MO's moddirectory should also work. For example <MO>\SKSE\SKSE\skse.ini

I'd be all snide and go "read the readme". But really, this one the gripe I have with all of the Script Extenders. Their documentation is awful. There's a lot of functionality that if it's written somewhere at all, it's in the whatsnew.txt or in one the million forumthreads over on the Bethesda forums.