Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh dang, the Vidar has both toe and heel-knives.

Gaelio may be less of a Char than McGillis, but he sure does understand the importance of keeping up his kicking game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh dang, the Vidar has both toe and heel-knives.

Gaelio may be less of a Char than McGillis, but he sure does understand the importance of keeping up his kicking game.
Now I'm imagining Gaelio busting out some deadly versions of capoeira moves when Vidar finally appears in-show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest plot twist yet in this episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And that was a... uhh... nice? bit of McGillis reminding us of why we're not supposed to like or trust him at the end. :stonk:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:stare:

McGillis is creepy as gently caress.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I just feel so bad for Almiria. She deserves better. :(

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Shinjobi posted:

:stare:

McGillis is creepy as gently caress.

The last minute of the episode made me cringe in a way that I don't usually cringe

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Shiden Unicorn looks pretty cool

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Yeaaaaah, even if you read it without actual sexual overtones, it's a good reminder that Macky is a loving snake who will stoop to manipulating an innocent nine year old girl for his ambitions.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Yeah. I'm going with the interpretation that he's such a sleazy gently caress he's manipulating a literal child over, you know, being a bit TOO much of A Char. Because I think even IBO really doesn't want to go with the alternative. But that's still a very good reminder that he is in fact the sort of sleazy gently caress who's probably planning to manipulate a literal child into doing something to bring about an internal civil war and/or worse. With a pretty good chance of said child dying in the course of it.

I'm not crazy in remembering that the few other times she's shown up it's been pretty clear that she's just a means of consolidating power and he's never showed any signs of doing anything but humoring her for the sake of that power consolidation and keeping the, uh, marriage intact, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Yeah. I'm going with the interpretation that he's such a sleazy gently caress he's manipulating a literal child over, you know, being a bit TOO much of A Char. Because I think even IBO really doesn't want to go with the alternative. But that's still a very good reminder that he is in fact the sort of sleazy gently caress who's probably planning to manipulate a literal child into doing something to bring about an internal civil war and/or worse. With a pretty good chance of said child dying in the course of it.

I'm not crazy in remembering that the few other times she's shown up it's been pretty clear that she's just a means of consolidating power and he's never showed any signs of doing anything but humoring her for the sake of that power consolidation and keeping the, uh, marriage intact, right?

That's the long and the short of it, yeah. He's just, uh, a bit too good an actor.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone should really get around to reading that book. Might be nice to know what role you are casted for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zebulon posted:

It was always a joke of a political marriage between Seven Stars families, McGillis is just going to use it and twist it to his advantage like everything else.

If the masked guy is Gaelio, McGillis is essentially bulletproof with Gaelio's sister onhand to threaten.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While creeper McGillis was a good reminder about who he really is, let's not forget that this is in the same episode where IBO tries to make us think that Naze's harem is actually a good thing. I'm not sure the contrast is completely intentional, but that scene didn't play well for me and came off as really handwavy about Naze's character.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the masked guy is Gaelio, McGillis is essentially bulletproof with Gaelio's sister onhand to threaten.

Gaelio is on a quest for revenge, those don't tend to be merciful towards bystanders.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jesus christ McGillis. :catstare:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Jesus christ McGillis. :catstare:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

While creeper McGillis was a good reminder about who he really is, let's not forget that this is in the same episode where IBO tries to make us think that Naze's harem is actually a good thing. I'm not sure the contrast is completely intentional, but that scene didn't play well for me and came off as really handwavy about Naze's character.

I'd say the biggest difference is that polyamory is waaaaaay less creepy in actual practice, which is not to say that anything about Naze and his wives specifically is remotely healthy either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naze will find himself dead at the hands of either Tekkadan or Teiwaz.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zebulon posted:

Yeah, I don't think McGillis is a giant :pedo:, but IBO really doesn't mind makin you uncomfortable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Naze will find himself dead at the hands of either Tekkadan or Teiwaz.

Naze's gonna throw himself on his own sword, just like he promised he would.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Naze's gonna throw himself on his own sword, just like he promised he would.

Yeah, and this, I think, is one of the reasons why we're not supposed to believe that argument was a clean win for Amida. The other reason, of course, is that the previous episode delivered a highly effective counterargument to everything she said. The Turbines are, in many ways, an idealised, perfected form of Tekkadan, but on this level, the two are identical - nobody's forced to work for them. Joining simply means you're under their protection, and you only have to work if you want, fight if you want, bang the boss if you want, and so on. If you don't want, you're free to leave, no hard feelings, and you'll get an excellent severance package that'll set you up for life. The catch, of course, is that nearly everyone does want, because their boss is so nice and charismatic that he blinds them to the risks they're taking. If this single, fallible human being reads the map wrong and asks everyone to jump off a cliff, they'll do it - not because they're ordered to, but because they love and trust him more than they trust themselves. The previous episode was ominous as gently caress - not because Takaki quit, but because only he quit when their boss signed their futures away to a monster. Now Naze has tied the Turbines to that monster as well, and put his own head on the block as collateral... which leads us to the other problem - both organisations are supported by a single, fragile pillar. Orga is a Tekkadan's guide home. Naze is the Turbines' actual home. If either of them goes, there's nothing left, and the vulnerable people they're sheltering are exposed to the big, bad universe once again.

Our boy in the yellow coat may be an rear end, but I feel he has a better understanding of the above than any of the Turbines do. Sometimes, you can't just trust your subordinates to look out for themselves - you have to make them.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I want to know what that mobile armor that Tekkadan dug up can do. It's unusual to see the heroes get an MA in one of these shows.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A couple things unrelated to McGillis' raging pedophilia:

1) Ha! I was right, Iok really is just a garbo pilot. Suck it, failures!
2) I noticed that, outside of splashing the missile boat, Gali seemed to be explicitly avoiding killshots when he fought, instead stabbing heads or to the side of the cockpits. I wonder if this reflects on his new ethos or whether it was just the mandate for the operation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordja posted:

A couple things unrelated to McGillis' raging pedophilia:

1) Ha! I was right, Iok really is just a garbo pilot. Suck it, failures!
2) I noticed that, outside of splashing the missile boat, Gali seemed to be explicitly avoiding killshots when he fought, instead stabbing heads or to the side of the cockpits. I wonder if this reflects on his new ethos or whether it was just the mandate for the operation.

Well related to McGillis's final scene this episode I have to wonder how much of this is really him and how much of it is him playing into what Gali's little sister wants to hear. He's got a long history of loving with people interested in him, especially women with romantic interests in him.

Secondly I think the disabling over killshots is a Thing for Vidar. I mean he's gone out of his way to create a gundam built around a set of thin precise melee weapons instead of the usual slabs of steel the other units are throwing around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well related to McGillis's final scene this episode I have to wonder how much of this is really him and how much of it is him playing into what Gali's little sister wants to hear. He's got a long history of loving with people interested in him, especially women with romantic interests in him.

McGillis is definitely just telling Almiria what she wants to hear because she is a useful pawn due to being the heir apparent to the Bauduin family after Gaelio's "death" and also being head over heels for Macky because she's a little girl with a crush on a handsome guy who is nice to her. I don't think you need to worry about McGillis being an actual pedophile.

I mean, he's still a disgusting monster for manipulating a child, but we knew he was a disgusting monster the moment he betrayed and murdered childhood friends in cold blood.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'd be shocked if he doesn't actually legitimately care for her to a certain degree in a familial way at the least because she was stuck with the situation as much as he was, not to mention the fact he seems to treat kids in general better than 90% of the people in this show. I won't be too surprised if he reveals she was nothing but a pawn to him in six episodes or so though.

Though I'm also still hoping he won't turn out to be the final boss, so maybe I'm just being too generous in that regard. :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I need a King of Mars t-shirt, I think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

McGillis is definitely just telling Almiria what she wants to hear because she is a useful pawn due to being the heir apparent to the Bauduin family after Gaelio's "death" and also being head over heels for Macky because she's a little girl with a crush on a handsome guy who is nice to her. I don't think you need to worry about McGillis being an actual pedophile.

I mean, he's still a disgusting monster for manipulating a child, but we knew he was a disgusting monster the moment he betrayed and murdered childhood friends in cold blood.

To be fair "telling a young girl what she wants to hear" sure didn't stop people from applying that label to Char.

Overlord K posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't actually legitimately care for her to a certain degree in a familial way at the least because she was stuck with the situation as much as he was, not to mention the fact he seems to treat kids in general better than 90% of the people in this show. I won't be too surprised if he reveals she was nothing but a pawn to him in six episodes or so though.

Though I'm also still hoping he won't turn out to be the final boss, so maybe I'm just being too generous in that regard. :v:

I think you're missing the fact that McGillis can both care for someone AND consider them nothing but a pawn to him, as he's shown at least twice before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's part of what makes McGillis such a good character; He'll be genuinely nice and kind to you right up until your usefulness is at an end.

Then all bets are off :unsmigghh:.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mordja posted:

I noticed that, outside of splashing the missile boat, Gali seemed to be explicitly avoiding killshots when he fought, instead stabbing heads or to the side of the cockpits. I wonder if this reflects on his new ethos or whether it was just the mandate for the operation.

Pretty sure those suits are the same as the Dawn Horizon pirates, and they had their cockpits in the head. It's grunt kebab for tea tonight.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Kanos posted:

This is my interpretation so far. Nothing we've seen about his character suggests anything but this, but it's still an INCREDIBLY uncomfortable scene to sit through because he's so drat good at manipulating people so seeing it turned on a kid just feels fundamentally horrible. Keep her complacent, keep her useful, keep her willing to follow his suggestions regarding the power of her family's house, etc. I kind of think he's genuinely protective of her, but there's the very good possibility that it'll be like Carta and Gaelio and he only going to remain so until she's no longer useful and fit for disposal. Or who knows, maybe he just really wants her to be happy. Everyone expected Tekkadan to be backstabbed by now after all. Maybe he just figures she's young enough that she's not a lost cause like the rest of the heads of family. Maybe they were going for contrasting Bastard Supreme, McGillis against Mika's irritation with Hush or Naze going a bit cold with Orga?

Man, even just discussing the scene feels awkward. He's such a slimy gently caress that even trying to defend the possibility he's just genuinely trying to keep her happy feels dirty and uncomfortably close to apologia.

jackhunter64 posted:

Pretty sure those suits are the same as the Dawn Horizon pirates, and they had their cockpits in the head. It's grunt kebab for tea tonight.

Looked like they were the same model, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that Almiria is his fiancée, not his wife. He's only the Bauduin heir so long as they don't call the marriage off. Keeping her sweet is very much in his personal interest. That's also at the heart of how he's manipulating her - he's played into her romantic fantasies enough that she wants to skip the lengthy engagement process and get married right now, so when she asks him about his motives, he deflects by telling her that when he's done, child marriage will be A-OK.

It's the most transparent, thoroughly evil piece of manipulation he's done so far, and it casts serious doubt on how likely he is to follow through on his promise with the other bunch of children in his life. Tekkadan are no more likely to become kings of Mars than Almiria is likely to bang her fiancee. Couple that with Isurugi's ominous words about how the reformation can't be stopped now, and it's pretty obvious our kids have been roped into some Real Bad poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Putting Tekkadan at the top of the hill on Mars means, when the time comes to put Gjallarhorn back on the map under his leadership, McGillis has a very large single target to direct his forces at for a political victory. Mars comes back under Earth control and Gjallarhorn crushes that nasty Tekkadan lot in one go.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Neither Vidar nor the Vidar disappointed, that fight was great and it's a really cool suit, possibly my favorite so far in the series, along with the Rebakes and Kimarises.

I think it's interesting that every time Julieta makes an observation about Vidar/Gali's behaviour or personality he says "oh really?" like he doesn't really know himself or something, or that he's playing a part some of the time. Or maybe it's something about his state of mind, perhaps memory loss from being beaten by McGillis.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I imagine if McGillis bites it at the end of the season Almiria will end up in a pretty good place as the most powerful remaining Seven Star and being raised on ideas of creating a society where people are free.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Neither Vidar nor the Vidar disappointed, that fight was great and it's a really cool suit, possibly my favorite so far in the series, along with the Rebakes and Kimarises.

I think it's interesting that every time Julieta makes an observation about Vidar/Gali's behaviour or personality he says "oh really?" like he doesn't really know himself or something, or that he's playing a part some of the time. Or maybe it's something about his state of mind, perhaps memory loss from being beaten by McGillis.

Well, that's no coincidence - every version of the Gusion and Kimaris, including the Rebakes and the Vidar, were designed by the same person.

Ippei Gyobu really is G-Reco's greatest contribution to the franchise.

As for Gaelio, he's an outcast nobleman who was tricked by his friend into destroying all he loved, and an implied cyborg who was raised to believe cybernetics were blasphemy. He's clearly going through a period of serious readjustment. It's pretty cute how he and Julietta are bringing out the best in each other, though. :3:

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 28, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I imagine if McGillis bites it at the end of the season Almiria will end up in a pretty good place as the most powerful remaining Seven Star and being raised on ideas of creating a society where people are free.

Almiria and Kudelia ending the show as a less bad version of Lacus and Cagali is fine with me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Ah, the old Geass Gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something that's kind of been put to the side given McGillis being creepy and all the SHOCKING REVELATIONS this episode?

Man, Akihiro's had some character growth. Look at him talk with Ride, and then compare it with where he was at in episode one. Mr. "I am human debris, and therefore am not allowed free will or happiness" is now going out and telling Ride to come on in and eat with everyone else. He's willing to get attached to people, despite his losses, and he even loving smiles. Hard to imagine him doing that early season one.

Not that I'm surprised it's gotten mostly ignored because, holy poo poo, everyone gets scenes this episode. Some more than others, but there's at least a small character beat for the overwhelming majority of the cast, including the most Chad's ever gotten to do and a pretty decent action scene. All without being confusing or stopping the plot dead in its tracks.

We're about a third of the way into the second season, and things are looking pretty good. I mean, wheels could come off at any time, but right now IBO season 2 is looking confident.

• Locked thread