Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RottenK posted:

Can you link the source for that, something tells me that the official forum community of FFXIV wouldn't take the news well and i want to see that.

It was during one of the Q&A streams, either fanfest or the last producer letter, I forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

No, because the people happy with the game are playing the game and not giving enough of a poo poo to post there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Truga posted:

The old solo difficulty that some quests had got changed into "casual" difficulty that's super doable solo now. Some quests still require you to do multiple switches though, and while you can hire a single henchman and bypass most, sometimes they can't be used for that.

That said, D&D online is IMHO the best co-op game you can play with friends. Instead of treating it as an MMO, me and my friends treated it as a co-op dungeon crawler and it's ridiculously good for that, *especially* the first run through, when everything is new and fresh.

Most of them are very doable solo, even at higher difficulties. If you need more players the selection screen will usually tell you. That said you still want a party since dungeons scale but only up to 4 or so people so going in with a full six if you can is always preferable. Way back in the day random parties from the community menu were almost always great and very willing to work together and even help out with very few assholes in the mix but in the past two years or so it has become much more hit or miss.

That said if you can get a core group of people to play together and can get over how ugly the game is dungeons are still interesting and well built and there's tons of stuff to do and while you still don't have to drop any money at this point I would strongly recommend picking up some extra modules and epic level stuff as needed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Has there ever been an MMO that didnt have an official forum full of people raging at the status/direction of the game? Well, aside from games like Wildstar where the forums are dead because the game is dead.

It's not so much the post content but the activity that indicates how an MMO is going.

When there are 2 or 3 day old posts still on the first page of whatever passes for "general discussion" on any given MMO forum then you know it's in decline. If you see four or five day old it's a zombie gasping for air.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

No, because the people happy with the game are playing the game and not giving enough of a poo poo to post there.

Back when I worked in customer service the general standing ratio was that "Oh poo poo's" came at a ratio of 10 to 1 to "Attaboy's"

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kortel posted:

They are doing it because the community demanded it.

If that's true than I'm glad to be proven wrong.

Good on them.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I remember when they made the cat girls' butts smaller there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i looked at the forums and one of the popular threads in general discussion is someone demanding bigger tits and asses for the ladies

some things never change

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Morglon posted:

Most of them are very doable solo, even at higher difficulties. If you need more players the selection screen will usually tell you. That said you still want a party since dungeons scale but only up to 4 or so people so going in with a full six if you can is always preferable. Way back in the day random parties from the community menu were almost always great and very willing to work together and even help out with very few assholes in the mix but in the past two years or so it has become much more hit or miss.

Oh I know. For newbies though, normal or hard is where the "very doable solo" ends though. I've solo'd through almost every instance that can be on elite, but that was on my 2nd character, and I already knew what to expect and what gear to pack. Also pump way more con than on my first character :v: Also, stealth is really well done in DDO (for a mmo anyway), and lends itself well to solo play.

DDO is one of those games that starts off *really* brutal, especially if you want to go through everything spoiler free. But once you figure what weapons/spells work best and which enemies to avoid/kill first it becomes a complete cakewalk. Suddenly that dungeon that took literally an hour first time through is over in like 5 minutes, and with zero deaths, instead of 43.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I've tried to like Rift from the very beginning, but it never gelled in the way it should have. It's a shame, because it had a lot of individually interesting or good things (artifact system and overall exploration, rifts, soul/class system, certain dungeons). Still doesn't matter if you can't make it come together in a way that works, and things have only gotten worse since then.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I played Rift when it first came out, it was EXACTLY like WoW but with a better art style. Even the raids were copy/paste from WoW.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I dunno man, Rift was pretty different from WoW in a lot of ways when it released. The class/spec system for example was a pretty dramatic departure from what WoW was doing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You're right, saying exactly was a poor choice of words and definitely hyperbole. However when I was messing around with the class/spec system I felt like I was just making WoW classes. Even the pvp maps were identical. I should also specify that it felt like Vanilla WoW which is dramatically different from today's WoW.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
What's up with korean MMOs giving you like 30000 skillbars? It puts me right off when you have all these attacks that essentially do the same amounts of damage on different cooldowns. I guess people like it somehow, but it always just feels like a pointless juggle.

Is this a lineage 2 carry over?

I mean I'm kinda a shitter, because I only bind so many attacks then I click the longer cooldown stuff. And I don't mind a bunch of cool utility spells, like invis/mounts/teleports, but it all just seems to be do X/y/z/w/u/v dmg.

Invariably they also always add "ascensions" or "awakenings", I don't know why they obsess over those specific words and angel/demon themes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's more an Everquest (and its precursors) holdover. An important thing to keep in mind is that the genre started ages ago, when most people were connecting through dial-up with horrible latency and bandwidth. So MMOs at the time couldn't really do much combat-wise since trying to keep track of 100+ entities in a zone would just destroy people's connections. The end result of this was fairly limited enemy and boss design, and the piano-style keybinds came around in order to make it seem like you were actually doing something while the actual combat was rather sparse. It's part of the same reason huge raids were a big early thing, above and beyond an excuse to get lots of people together at once; the bosses were so simple that the only way to add real challenge was to force a lot of points of failure so that in aggregate someone would probably screw up before it died.

In modern MMOs with fast and active combat on good connections stuff like that is absolutely vestigial and mostly persists by dumbass force of habit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

darkhand posted:

Invariably they also always add "ascensions" or "awakenings", I don't know why they obsess over those specific words and angel/demon themes.

average korean mmos are cliched garbage just like western ones, but the set of cliches is partially different

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

RottenK posted:

average korean mmos are cliched garbage just like western ones, but the set of cliches is partially different

Yeah I was thinking about that too, I think that's fair. They're probably tired of our eurocentric castles and ~dragon~ lore or something as well.

Asimo, that's an interesting take on it, I never would have thought about it like that, even though I've played old MMOs

darkhand fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 28, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

darkhand posted:

Funnily enough, l2 gives you like one skill per class to spam. Some get two, one for single target, one for aoe!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Truga posted:

Funnily enough, l2 gives you like one skill per class to spam. Some get two, one for single target, one for aoe!

And for the spellhowler that skill was usually the tap to town. Im sure my lvl 70 something SH had more sp than my 85 dwarf (with all skills purchased)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

darkhand posted:

What's up with korean MMOs giving you like 30000 skillbars? It puts me right off when you have all these attacks that essentially do the same amounts of damage on different cooldowns. I guess people like it somehow, but it always just feels like a pointless juggle.

I mean I'm kinda a shitter, because I only bind so many attacks then I click the longer cooldown stuff. And I don't mind a bunch of cool utility spells, like invis/mounts/teleports, but it all just seems to be do X/y/z/w/u/v dmg.

EQ2 is super guilty of this and was around before most of the current crop of kmmos (barring lineage 1) hit the market. My EQ2 warlock at the end of the kunark expansion had something like 5-6 different 12 button hotbars all filled up and I didn't really have any of the notable AA attacks buried 120+ points deep.

If any MMO is in dire need of a WoW-styled skill squash, it's that game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

EQ1 started to give you a ton of abilities too, but it was not as heinous because a few were utility, some were spam buttons, and then you had your 10 minute burn abilities, and your long cooldown(30m+) beastmode abilities.

Idk it seems kmmos give you like 4 sets of button combos/rotations you have to pull off instead of just giving you 4 buttons

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

man when i started playing eq1 i had like taunt and kick to spam, i thought they were spoiling me in those first couple expansions with those long cooldown abilities you had to set a custom macro for or loving type out a dash command. i guess having to do all the pulling all the time kept it interesting though

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

EQ2 is super guilty of this and was around before most of the current crop of kmmos (barring lineage 1) hit the market. My EQ2 warlock at the end of the kunark expansion had something like 5-6 different 12 button hotbars all filled up and I didn't really have any of the notable AA attacks buried 120+ points deep.

If any MMO is in dire need of a WoW-styled skill squash, it's that game.

This is really weird since EQ1's spell system was basically the same as Wildstar's LAS. Ability bloat in MMOs was such an obnoxious trend.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're right, saying exactly was a poor choice of words and definitely hyperbole. However when I was messing around with the class/spec system I felt like I was just making WoW classes. Even the pvp maps were identical. I should also specify that it felt like Vanilla WoW which is dramatically different from today's WoW.
I can't speak for anything else, but Chloromancer, as legit "damage to heal" spec, is something WoW didn't really try in earnest until just this year. There was also a CC-oriented archetype in the Mage class, but I always felt like that would have been terrible in raids unless devs remembered to include plenty of adds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is really weird since EQ1's spell system was basically the same as Wildstar's LAS. Ability bloat in MMOs was such an obnoxious trend.

But then you get stuff like Guild Wars 2 that gives you all of your abilities basically upfront and then people complain that their character never gets new abilities

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

I actually liked the LAS, though I think they should have extended it to 8 skills + 2 optionals instead of 7 and 2. One extra slot on the LAS bar would have been the difference between some classes having to pick and choose between interrupts and dps, and others just being smug dicks who got it all (Looking at you engineer) and the ability tier point system limited you enough so you couldn't go full dps/interupts and full raid buffbot.

Some classes could literally pack it all, like a heal slinger could spec for full healing, two interupts and a 10% raidwide damage buff. Meanwhile others had to sacrifice a lot to get that kind of utility.

So I guess what I'm saying is the LAS was rad, but class balance within that framework kinda sucked. Tada.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Best thing about EQ1 was the default auto-attack button was "A" and all quest interactions with friendly NPCs were keywords to type out.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Largepotato posted:

Best thing about EQ1 was the default auto-attack button was "A" and all quest interactions with friendly NPCs were keywords to type out.

The best part was that to start a conversation with an NPC, you had to target them and hail them. Hailing was "H". So naturally, the first thing every new player does is continue typing "hail", which led right to that "A" keybinding....

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No matter what server you were on, The Priest of Discord almost always had some corpses chillin at his feet

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The sheer terror that was turning in a quest in EQ1 is my favorite. For those that dont remember, due to EQ1's primitive questing system to complete a quest you just walked up to an NPC and handed them your hard earned quest items. There was no dialogue box or any form of confirmation that it was the correct NPC until your handed over the items and got your reward. Of course, this being the early days of MMOs in game quest documentation was frequently little more than some vague dialogue from a different NPC and the out of game sources were still very limited so a lot of times you were turning in these items based on a forums post on Alakazam that may or may not be full of poo poo.

Oh yeah, and if you turned your items into the wrong NPC it didnt give them back so you had to redo the whole thing which frequently involved several hours of camping for a rare spawn.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Don't forget that if you gave the right NPC the four items he asked for in a single stack instead of splitting them into four stacks of one item each and handing them over like that, he won't recognize the items and treat it like you handed him a random thing. Which he will accept as a gift.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

i am tim! posted:

Don't forget that if you gave the right NPC the four items he asked for in a single stack instead of splitting them into four stacks of one item each and handing them over like that, he won't recognize the items and treat it like you handed him a random thing. Which he will accept as a gift.

Funnier still, he'd count it as a single item and only give partial credit on the quest, meaning someone could come up and hand him three of the items and he'd give them the reward for four.

I seem to remember this being a thing with some quest to turn in belts out of Freeport, where you could turn in a partial amount and then a low level dude could turn in one and get the experience.

EverQuest 1 was literally just a MUD with a GUI in how poo poo was done.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That isn't really fair, there were a lot of MUDs with more robust coding than EQ.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is apropos of nothing, but a while back people were talking about microtransactions and nickel and diming and all that. I remembered a infographic I'd seen someone put together about maplestory and just how much money it took to actually completely kit out a weapon from scratch, if that's what you wanted to do for some reason instead of just buying it off of someone else. I couldn't find it at the time, but I went digging around this maple forum I used to visit when I played (Southperry, if that rings bells for anyone) and managed to dig it up. Language is cringe-inducing, but please enjoy the result of what happens when systems for improving equipment keep getting stacked on top of each other for around a decade:

Of course, this is making a perfect/semi-perfect weapon. You don't have to do this all at once and from what I understand you shouldn't need to go to this extent to experience most of the game. On the other hand because so many of the lines you can get are random, in the thread I found that in people were saying the author lowballed the amount you could spend by up to half if you get unlucky. It was common (idk how true it is now, I haven't touched the game in like six years) to spend actual money and end up with garbage like +int on your fancy sword. This is still a generous estimate.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I am kind of happy that the Maplestory developers conned the the dude that wrote that out of all that money.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sad thing is that isn't all that uncommon for free to play games.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

the weird thing for maplestory is they've got a server now where you can't spend money on this kind of thing, no trading between players and the cash shop cubes are bought with mesos. which is bizarre as hell for a kmmo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Office Surprise Store posted:

the weird thing for maplestory is they've got a server now where you can't spend money on this kind of thing, no trading between players and the cash shop cubes are bought with mesos. which is bizarre as hell for a kmmo.

When I quit ~6 years ago popularity had died down far enough that even the fan forums I mentioned were quickly turning from people complaining while having fun to "okay this game loving sucks but hear me out because I can't stop playing". Whenever people tried to actually discuss the thing they liked least about the game it always ended up being cubes and the monstrosity they led to. Given that Nexon is well, Nexon, I'd never have expected them to just acquiesce and effectively make a grognard server.

I mean, it's not like I'm ever going back because there are plenty of other issues I have with the game like a sword using class having a skill that shot a laser just as far as my gunslinger could shoot bullets, but it's a nice gesture anyway. Getting chased out of the maple thread for complaining about that, leading to me finally uninstalling the game is probably the best thing these forums have ever done for me.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

darkhand posted:

And I thought SWTOR was bad. Must have been spoiled by only playing MMOs from WoW Lich King onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Maple story? Maple story.

quote:

sup guys, i've been playing maple story (a korean MMORPG, free, but you can choose to buy NX cash which basically gives you huge advantages to you over people who play without charging) for a few years, playing since the english beta, patch 0.01, or the release before the first server crash ever.

this game is really horrible, but it attracts me for some reason. i find it the only fun game i can play, which is ironic since it's the most monotonous piece of poo poo you can ever play.

i've charged enough nx cash on this game to buy a car (well over $40,000 total), and this thread is to kind of keep me from charging any more than i have to per month while also keeping a record of all my goals in the current server and character i am playing.

items i usually buy -
x2 exp (two of them for 8 hours total, since i never know when i can play since i have a job that can happen at any time, which the money usually goes for saving for stuff + this game)
x2 drop (two)
a shop that expires every three months
expanded inventory space (one time charge)
a pet + pet equips (automatically picks up your poo poo while training)
and clothes so i can stand looking at the same character for hours while grinding

ok so another point of this thread is to keep track of my levels to motivate me to finally get to the next job level. even after all these years, i have yet to legitly get past the third job barrier. i have never hacked, but i usually share accounts, so i don't count those characters as me legitly gaining third job access. highest i got to was 66, and the job advance is at 70.

also please note that i have already played enough 3d mmorpgs to last me a lifetime. used to play ffxi, got to 60 (max level at the time) and sold my account for like $750. had a WoW account (got to 60, pre-BC and sold it for $450)

make no mistake that i don't have a social life, because i do

my friends ALL used to play this, but then they moved on to WoW and now that they quit games and went to consoles, all they care about is their cars, jobs, and for some of them, relationships. i had a horrible experience with relationships beforehand and rushed into it too fast, and now i don't really care for them anymore. i still go out with my friends on some weekends and afterschool, but they are really busy having crappy jobs at places like jamba juice, flower shops, and mcdonalds lol. they don't care that i play this game, but they do care that i waste so much money on it.

i would have put this thread somewhere else, but honestly, LL is the easiest to make a log here. sleepywood.net (the top maple story forum) is filled with nazi admins, gameFAQs is no place for a videogame log, livejournal... LOL

also the inline images here are awesome and simple, so that's what i will use.

SYNOPSIS I play Maple Story. I do have a social life with friends that understand why I play this game. I spend a lot of money on this game, but trying to limit how much I spend now. This log is to help motivate me to get to level 70 and beyond by myself. This is the only good place to post it, and this thread is more for me to keep track of what the hell I'm doing and how fast I am progressing through this game.

As of right now I am level 54 (was level 51 this morning), started a month and a few days ago. use 8 hours of x2 exp and drop but I have a random schedule, so I never know when I have time to train.

• Locked thread