Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I kind of wish they'd go back and take another crack at the childhood focuses just to balance them out a bit more (especially the fact that indolent/haughty are purely negative for education - I think having negative childhood traits is fine, but having Pride/Etiquette lead to them directly makes those choices a lot less desirable), but I imagine it's not a priority.

Educator intervention traits help a bit: haughty can lead to ambitious and indolent to gregarious, which is nice. Only a 25% chance though, or 50% if you're educating yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Skellybones posted:

Tensions run high in the latest dev diary thread:

i love how the paradox forums has to make their negative vote "Respectfully Disagree," like someones feelings might get hurt if you disrespectfully disagree with them

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How do I convert my tribal government into a feudal one? I have Absolute Tribal Organization.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's because I don't have a stone hillfort in the capital.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 27, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snoremac posted:

Picking childhood and education focuses in a large family is the worst thing. Every five seconds.

I still prefer it to the old system if we're only talking about how annoying it is though. At least now when you die and you've got enough male courtiers for 100+ trade posts, you don't get a "48 children need a guardian" notification.

Various Meat Products posted:

Thrift has the best general purpose outcomes, Duty has a 50/50 chance to become Diligent which benefits all educations, and Struggle is the obvious choice for non-inheriting brothers and nephews who I can breed into commanders. Those are the only ones I ever pick, unless I'm trying to convert cultures/religions.

I pick pride when the kid is born and when they are 6 since it generally will give the kid brooding, which adds a boost to thrift. Sometimes it comes with haughty, which is bad with thrift, but I stopped caring about micromanaging. I put every kid on that same pride-thrift pipeline, and I'm still pumping out characters with high martial and stewardship.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone had any success figuring out how to remove the nomad agitation modifier from a province? I've got two tribal counties that are seemingly exactly the same with only two differences. They both have a training grounds and a hospital as the only buildings built. Neither has a temple or any building other than the tribal holding. They are both under the control of vassal tribal counts. And they both still have Khazar culture.

The only differences are that the one that doesn't have the nomad agitation modifier has tengri religion (I'm zunist), and it has 1 in improved keeps tech. The one that does has Sunni religion, and has 0 in all techs. When I console kill my character, I keep one and the other returns to nomads, and I have no idea why. Maybe the one county just never got the nomad agitation modifier to begin with? But why? I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. It says I'm supposed to build a city or a castle, but the nomadic counties don't have the tech to build level 4 stone hillforts or merchant cities, and I can only build a temple in a free slot. And why do I have one tribal county that is an exception to that rule for no reason if that is what I'm supposed to do?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Node posted:

i love how the paradox forums has to make their negative vote "Respectfully Disagree," like someones feelings might get hurt if you disrespectfully disagree with them

The option to select "gently caress you, you whore's get, this is a declaration of war!" will be included in the next forums DLC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Has anyone had any success figuring out how to remove the nomad agitation modifier from a province? I've got two tribal counties that are seemingly exactly the same with only two differences. They both have a training grounds and a hospital as the only buildings built. Neither has a temple or any building other than the tribal holding. They are both under the control of vassal tribal counts. And they both still have Khazar culture.

The only differences are that the one that doesn't have the nomad agitation modifier has tengri religion (I'm zunist), and it has 1 in improved keeps tech. The one that does has Sunni religion, and has 0 in all techs. When I console kill my character, I keep one and the other returns to nomads, and I have no idea why. Maybe the one county just never got the nomad agitation modifier to begin with? But why? I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. It says I'm supposed to build a city or a castle, but the nomadic counties don't have the tech to build level 4 stone hillforts or merchant cities, and I can only build a temple in a free slot. And why do I have one tribal county that is an exception to that rule for no reason if that is what I'm supposed to do?
Huh. I know that if you convert either religion or culture the nomad agitation is removed. Does the vassal have the same culture as the province maybe?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Has anyone figured out how to balkanize Lombardy from the Charlemagne start? Love playing as Venice, but the only way for me to expand is to save up for the largest mercenary force and then wait until they go to war with someone else, and all sowing dissent seems to do is get rid of chancellors for me.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Volkerball posted:

I pick pride when the kid is born and when they are 6 since it generally will give the kid brooding, which adds a boost to thrift. Sometimes it comes with haughty, which is bad with thrift, but I stopped caring about micromanaging. I put every kid on that same pride-thrift pipeline, and I'm still pumping out characters with high martial and stewardship.

By thrift you mean a stewardship education, right? Or is there a way to change childhood focus that I'm not aware of?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh. I know that if you convert either religion or culture the nomad agitation is removed. Does the vassal have the same culture as the province maybe?

Nah, he's Ethiopian and reformed Zunist just like all my other tribal vassals up in nomad land. In fact, that same vassal has two counties to his name. Two of the three in a de jure duchy iirc. But when I console kill my character, that vassal actually loses one county while keeping the one that doesn't have nomad agitation. I did I test where I changed the religion of the province, but I still lost it on succession. Maybe culture conversion would work, but that seems unreliable as a tactic. Super frustrating. I didn't realize they changed things in Conclave. Before you were just allowed to hold a nomadic county indefinitely, as it didn't count on your demense limit since there was no holding in it. You could just build holdings at your leisure. I hadn't gameplanned around this, and now my game might be hosed after all this work.

Family trade zone map. I'm at 72 of my planned 160-some posts. That silver county up in the far north and westward are all in nomad territory, and I need to be able to hold control of all of them to build trade posts in them before I purge off all my family members to minimize my family dues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonwagon posted:

By thrift you mean a stewardship education, right?

Yeah, my bad.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, good. I was worried I wasn't minmaxing my children right.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I don't have Horse Lords, Conclave, or Reaper's Due. Everything is on sale right now so wondering if any of those are really good to pick up?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I don't have Horse Lords, Conclave, or Reaper's Due. Everything is on sale right now so wondering if any of those are really good to pick up?

I enjoy Concalve, the whole council thing adds a lot of flavor. Instead of just picking the best dude you sometimes have to pick the politically important one. Reapers Due is kind of neat with the whole physician thing, about all it does is highlight how loving horrible it was to live in those times. Got the flu? Great! Your "physician" knocks you out and now you've got the "Peg Leg" trait. Though it doesn't change how I've played that much. Again, some more spice to the game. No idea on Horse Lords.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
So I've started a game as Adelaide, Countess of Vermandois to see if I could do a Carolingian reboot. All traveled smoothly for the first twenty years, I got my heirs back in line for inheritance, cancer took care of the husband and I married my brother off into the Duchy of Tuscany for the glory of the house. Then the Capetian heir converted to Islam and inherited a few years later. Now he is the French Sunni King and has four Queens including my daughter.

Curious to know what people would do here - without a kingdom claim I can't really challenge him, and I assume he is going to get holy warred or even crusaded into the ground. He has converted a few of his court (including my son but he is a disinherited de Vermandois so he can do what he wants) and the county of Paris just switched to Islam.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

So I've started a game as Adelaide, Countess of Vermandois to see if I could do a Carolingian reboot. All traveled smoothly for the first twenty years, I got my heirs back in line for inheritance, cancer took care of the husband and I married my brother off into the Duchy of Tuscany for the glory of the house. Then the Capetian heir converted to Islam and inherited a few years later. Now he is the French Sunni King and has four Queens including my daughter.

Curious to know what people would do here - without a kingdom claim I can't really challenge him, and I assume he is going to get holy warred or even crusaded into the ground. He has converted a few of his court (including my son but he is a disinherited de Vermandois so he can do what he wants) and the county of Paris just switched to Islam.

Play the gently caress into it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Can female rulers even convert to Islam? I'd be pretty happy to have options other than bunker up and try to grab some claims after he gets the french army destroyed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Can female rulers even convert to Islam? I'd be pretty happy to have options other than bunker up and try to grab some claims after he gets the french army destroyed.

They should be able to, but bear in mind that it's very hard to arrange marriages for female muslim rulers since even if YOUR laws allow for matri marriages, most other realms' laws won't. So either arrange a marriage before converting, or get ready to only marry people from your own court.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started another new game, this time as Count of Lancaster, the one start I've ever managed to get all the way through to 1453 (back in Vanilla CK2 which was JESUS gently caress 4 YEARS AGO?!?), albeit that one was as a Duke.
That time, I managed to manoeuvre myself at the 1066 start to support my liege to destroy both Harald and William AND make sure my liege stayed weak enough that I could subsequently win a fight for the crown.

This time, I waited for my liege to get involved in a couple of scraps over who wore the biggest crown and then pressed for Independence.
52 years in, my starting dude is still not dead, having outlived all 5 of his sons. My current heir is a 24 Diplomacy grandson who's almost certain to drop dead any day now. I've got a good feeling about this run.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm beginning to believe its actually impossible to become immortal in this game, he says as he clicks "give me the whatever" for the twentieth time and turns into a baby

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Well as long as you can keep doing it over and over you're technically immortal. :v:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

What can I do about Vassals that hate me when I am too weak to plot to kill them? I have a Mayor who has the rival trait and I can't change any laws because I have to have all of Vassals loving me. He is a total dick and constantly sends me rude messages, refuses to go to my feasts and keeps trying to have me overthrown. He spiked my drink at a party and laughed at me when I collapsed and now is a real thorn in my side. I have been trying to plot to kill him for something like 20 years but the only people on board are my son and a baby for some reason. Can I just revoke his title and chuck him in prison - he is a powerful vassal is that something to be worried about? I only have two provinces and I am worried I might get crushed by peasants if I act too tyrannical.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Peasants don't care what you do to nobles as long as they have enough hay or whatever

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phrosphor posted:

What can I do about Vassals that hate me when I am too weak to plot to kill them? I have a Mayor who has the rival trait and I can't change any laws because I have to have all of Vassals loving me. He is a total dick and constantly sends me rude messages, refuses to go to my feasts and keeps trying to have me overthrown. He spiked my drink at a party and laughed at me when I collapsed and now is a real thorn in my side. I have been trying to plot to kill him for something like 20 years but the only people on board are my son and a baby for some reason. Can I just revoke his title and chuck him in prison - he is a powerful vassal is that something to be worried about? I only have two provinces and I am worried I might get crushed by peasants if I act too tyrannical.

Switch to intrigue focus, spy on him until you can expose him for some crime against you, imprison him, Oubliette until dead (or bite the tyranny penalty and execute if he's young and healthy). Alternatively, if you're a badass, switch to War focus and challenge him to a duel (since you're rivals) and hope you get lucky.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Phrosphor posted:

If you attempt to revoke his title and he refuses he will declare war on you. If you select "Revoke Title" in the diplomacy options there will be a "Yes" below the Send button if he will relinquish it peacefully, a "No" if he won't. Peasants don't care how you treat vassals - it's other vassals' opinions you need to worry about. If you revoke a title without a legitimate reason (eg. the vassal has fabricated one of your claims or plotted to murder you or someone close to you) you'll get a -15 opinion penalty from all other vassals. Not the end of the world, but not something you want to do often. If this vassal is more powerful than you and hates you he's unlikely to let you revoke peacefully.

Galaga's suggestions are worth trying, just remember that spying on someone sometimes leads nowhere because there's simply nothing juicy to dig up about them.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 28, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

snoremac posted:

Galaga's suggestions are worth trying, just remember that spying on someone sometimes leads nowhere because there's simply nothing juicy to dig up about them.

He's a rival, there will be something juicy. I've been able to expose and imprison a vassal just for lying about something (not mentioned what) in the past.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If a mayor qualifies as a powerful vassal in your realm, you're probably too small to need to worry about the tyranny penalty. Just revoke his city and replace him with someone who likes you, then assign some honorary titles to your other vassals to smooth things over.

edit: Baron-level vassals are not a threat to you. If you're feeling spicy, revoke all of their titles, kick everyone out of your court, then invite new courtiers. None of the new guys will know about what you did, and you can hand-pick new vassals who will be grateful to you.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thanks for all the advice. Thankfully the issue sorted itself, I had him as my Marshall and when I held a feast I had an option to send him hunting for it, he got killed by a stag.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Peasants don't care what you do to nobles as long as they have enough hay or whatever

Lol my peasants eat fresh grass like the animals they are.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

So in my after the end game the Confederacy is getting fuckin huge and they basically got everything from the Mississippi to Florida to the Pentagon and we now share a border. They've always kinda been a pain in my rear end, but I'm still pretty new to this game. What are my options for knocking them down a peg? How do you tackle a big rear end empire like that? All I have is Gotham and some surrounding counties.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is there any chance of the EU4 converter working when the 1.19 patch was just added? I've still got a way to go in my CK2 game but I'll likely reach the end in a couple of days. Does it generally take some time before it's updated?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Conclave question: How do I end a mercenary band I've created? I just noticed the 30% cut to my levies and I want out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

snoremac posted:

Conclave question: How do I end a mercenary band I've created? I just noticed the 30% cut to my levies and I want out.

Diplomacy options for the leader should include Dissolve Mercenary Company.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Jedit posted:

Diplomacy options for the leader should include Dissolve Mercenary Company.

Ah okay. I did check that, but they were being hired out by someone, so I'm assuming the option appears when they're not hired.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Changes to the intrigue screen, including expanded space for Decisions.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 28, 2016

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ASK TO JOIN KNOWN PLOTS :toot:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some of those changes have been sorely lacking since the game was released. I very rarely accepted plot invitations before.
Marking new plots, that weren't there the last time you looked in the known plot tab would also be good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Yeah, they've annoyed me for years and now I can finally do something about them :feelsgood:

snoremac posted:

Is there any chance of the EU4 converter working when the 1.19 patch was just added? I've still got a way to go in my CK2 game but I'll likely reach the end in a couple of days. Does it generally take some time before it's updated?

We patched the converter on the same day 1.19 came out, so it should.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I tried playing as Charlemagne since I picked up the DLC and...drat. It's impossible for me to keep track of that many vassals, especially when they dump all those names on me from the start.

Is there a round-up screen that shows all your vassals and their relative strength? The closest I've seen is when they're in a plot and you can see their percentage of levies compared to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Great, now all that's missing from my wishlist on UI improvements is something to make being an immortal with lots of kids manageable, and a holding improvement build queue for all those mods that think it's a good idea to add eleventy billion cheap upgrades.

• Locked thread