Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
speng31b
May 8, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Bush already pulled that poo poo, won, is still loved by those cattle-loving, oil guzzling idiots in that shithead state. So yeah.

Bush was a well loved good ole boy cowboy boot wearing Texas governor. Trump's a billionaire Yankee who's in the process of pissing off his own base by reneging on most of his promises before inauguration day. We'll see. I don't see that working out well for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm hopeful that this election finally woke up heavily used social media to this problem and they are actually going to loving do something about it.

I'm probably too optimistic, but if there's reason to hope it's that the silicon valley corps are all closely held, their boards have more money than God, and they seem to have a sense of civic duty. You'll never reach the people who have Breitbart/Drudge as their home page, but if you can shut the odd Aunt/Grandfather up about some nonsense their tennis buddy sent them it's a start.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that reddit bans r/The_Donald. It's going to be a hilarious mess for about a week with spammed poo poo like happened with r/fatpeoplehate got banned and then people will just want to go back to looking at pictures of cats and dumb inspirational quotes from Elon Musk.

If a site like Reddit is going to survive the silicon valley bubble bursting, they have to find a way to monetize and there have to be a lot of people hesitating to invest when their front page is full of 4chan Donald memes.

Or, they can die along with a bunch of other dot coms. I'm fine either way but there has to be a lot of pressure on them to get rid of r/The_Donald.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speng31b posted:

Bush was a well loved good ole boy cowboy boot wearing Texas governor. Trump's a billionaire Yankee who's in the process of pissing off his own base by reneging on most of his promises before inauguration day. We'll see. I don't see that working out well for Trump.

tbf being a raging narcissistic rear end in a top hat has worked incredibly well for trump so far

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Fiction posted:

baloogan what's the most effective way i can protect my community if it comes down to that

Tap into local movements. Find like-minded people. Read about the histories of resistance movements and struggles for liberation.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
The only thing I'm getting from all of this is that John Titor's war is real and the dates just got fudged up in translation somehow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that reddit bans r/The_Donald. It's going to be a hilarious mess for about a week with spammed poo poo like happened with r/fatpeoplehate got banned and then people will just want to go back to looking at pictures of cats and dumb inspirational quotes from Elon Musk.

If a site like Reddit is going to survive the silicon valley bubble bursting, they have to find a way to monetize and there have to be a lot of people hesitating to invest when their front page is full of 4chan Donald memes.

Or, they can die along with a bunch of other dot coms. I'm fine either way but there has to be a lot of pressure on them to get rid of r/The_Donald.

remember when reddit apologized to the r/jailbait creator, they're not known for being rational about stuff like that

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Yinlock posted:

tbf being a raging narcissistic rear end in a top hat has worked incredibly well for trump so far

The raging narcissistic rear end in a top hat bit probably has hurt him more than it helped, but being born rich made it essentially impossible for him to fail.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The raging narcissistic rear end in a top hat bit probably has hurt him more than it helped, but being born rich made it essentially impossible for him to fail.

that's true, this may have been the first time trump has ever actually succeeded at something

and it was something he didn't actually want

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bonapartisan posted:

The only thing I'm getting from all of this is that John Titor's war is real and the dates just got fudged up in translation somehow.

yeah we're deffo nearer to a civil war atm, but seriously titor needed to go back in time to get a dumb unix computer or something? thats dumb

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yinlock posted:

remember when reddit apologized to the r/jailbait creator, they're not known for being rational about stuff like that

my recollection was that, when anderson cooper did an expose on r/jailbait, the reddit staff that had been on somewhat friendly terms with violentacrez acted like they never heard of the guy. he became persona non grata immediately.

and then they banned that sub and a bunch of other subs like it. and people cried and said reddit was dying and was no longer a bastion of free speech. and then they banned r/fatpeoplehate and r/[n-word] and a bunch of other hate subs and people were all pissed off and started a site "voat" that never went anywhere.

reddit brass drag their rear end on this stuff and have lovely politics but they come around eventually.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yinlock posted:

that's true, this may have been the first time trump has ever actually succeeded at something

and it was something he didn't actually want

Let's be clear, the thing he's succeeded at is putting himself in a position to fail more spectacularly than he ever might have otherwise.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. should all be public services.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

also, gawker sucked and i'm glad they are gone but they were heroes for doxxing violentacrez. doxxing is bad but that guy was the mod for a bunch of pedo subreddits and he was a total troll prick in reddit comments and then when they doxxed him he begged for them to not reveal his employer.

good stuff.

VVVV lol. "He described the first Waco-like event being something like 'Upright Stone.'"

Fidel Castronaut fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 28, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

The most immediate of Titor's predictions was of an upcoming civil war in the United States having to do with "order and rights".[9] He described it as beginning in 2016,[10] with civil unrest surrounding the presidential election of that year. This civil conflict that he characterized as "having a Waco type event every month that steadily gets worse"[10] would be "pretty much at everyone's doorstep"[9] and erupt by 2020.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. should all be public services.

ive heard people saying twitter ought to be a non profit, mostly since it seems incapable of drawing a profit in general

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

welp

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

my recollection was that, when anderson cooper did an expose on r/jailbait, the reddit staff that had been on somewhat friendly terms with violentacrez acted like they never heard of the guy. he became persona non grata immediately.

and then they banned that sub and a bunch of other subs like it. and people cried and said reddit was dying and was no longer a bastion of free speech. and then they banned r/fatpeoplehate and r/[n-word] and a bunch of other hate subs and people were all pissed off and started a site "voat" that never went anywhere.

reddit brass drag their rear end on this stuff and have lovely politics but they come around eventually.

i just remembered some chatlog of the reddit brass apologizing to violentacrez when he whined at them, was kinda fuzzy on the details

glad that guy ate total poo poo in the end though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my upright stone is a waco like event, if you know what i mean

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:holymoley:

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

False news site syndrome in action.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cradle yer stone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i wish

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
mike pence is going to false flag assassinate donald trump lol

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Yinlock posted:

my upright stone is a waco like event, if you know what i mean

fiery, full of death, and with janet reno staring in horror?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

should edit the rest of the John Titor article before anyone notices

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
The coming civil war will be fought on a near-infinite fragmentation of dynamic territories.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Baloogan posted:

cradle yer stone

its too heavy man

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Baloogan posted:

cradle yer stone

best i can do is embrace and slowly rock it

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

mike pence is going to false flag assassinate donald trump lol

Mike Pence is one slutty daughter away from being the president from Escape From LA.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

I don't know how many wacoes you can reliably have one after another.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

fiery, full of death, and with janet reno staring in horror?

yeah gurl

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

titor was right

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

titor was right

gently caress

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

speng31b posted:

Let's be clear, the thing he's succeeded at is putting himself in a position to fail more spectacularly than he ever might have otherwise.

True, but only in the eyes of liberals and historians

speng31b posted:

Trump can't really fail in the base's eyes because they were listening to his intent not his actual words.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I could buy a nuclear war from Trump's absolute nuttiness and foreign policy ignorance, but I can't see a civil war - times have changed since the last one, it's not like a bunch of states can secede and put together an army as well-equipped and well-positioned as the standing United States army. Besides, the split is rural-urban and demographic-based, not really a great setup for an organized civil war where each side acts like a fully-fledged nation-state.

Political upheaval, riots, protests, killings, assassinations? Sure. poo poo sounded pretty bad in the 60s/70s and it could get that bad again, probably along a lot of the same lines even thanks to inflamed racial tensions. That's not enough to bring down the whole country though, especially since the political and media world in America seems flexible enough to adapt to a new reality and preserve as much of the status quo (for example, they are currently enduring a Donald Trump Presidency).

Really, when people say "there's going to be another civil war in this country", all I get out of it is usually conservatives expecting they'll get to shoot their smug liberal neighbour or that black rioters are going to overrun their suburb.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hillary 2020 posted:

Trump can't really fail in the base's eyes because they were listening to his intent not his actual words.

Trump cannot fail he can only be failed.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hillary 2020 posted:

Sure but just to be clear the context for that chain of quotes was comparing Bush to Trump in terms of their ability to use eminent domain to take land from rural Texans without arousing ire, so I'm sticking with that.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dolash posted:

I could buy a nuclear war from Trump's absolute nuttiness and foreign policy ignorance, but I can't see a civil war - times have changed since the last one, it's not like a bunch of states can secede and put together an army as well-equipped and well-positioned as the standing United States army. Besides, the split is rural-urban and demographic-based, not really a great setup for an organized civil war where each side acts like a fully-fledged nation-state.

Political upheaval, riots, protests, killings, assassinations? Sure. poo poo sounded pretty bad in the 60s/70s and it could get that bad again, probably along a lot of the same lines even thanks to inflamed racial tensions. That's not enough to bring down the whole country though, especially since the political and media world in America seems flexible enough to adapt to a new reality and preserve as much of the status quo (for example, they are currently enduring a Donald Trump Presidency).

Really, when people say "there's going to be another civil war in this country", all I get out of it is usually conservatives expecting they'll get to shoot their smug liberal neighbour or that black rioters are going to overrun their suburb.

yeah, I think the rural-urban split is gonna get more and more fuckin painful soon, but I don't think we could legitimately have a civil war any more. there is *way* too much connectedness [see: Pentagon's New Map]

I think we are fuckin' ripe for a world war though :ohdear:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think we are fuckin' ripe for a world war though :ohdear:

we've been ripe for one for like 60 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah, I think the rural-urban split is gonna get more and more fuckin painful soon, but I don't think we could legitimately have a civil war any more. there is *way* too much connectedness [see: Pentagon's New Map]

though Syria definitely proves you can have like a 16-faction civil war if you try hard enough

• Locked thread