Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I didn't mind scanning for resources in ME2 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't wait to scan a thing to unlock a thing in my codex :neckbeard:

Wandering around the citadel looking at random things to get an entry about them in my codex was awesome in ME1

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

no bones about it posted:

I want to have a Hanar squidmate.

Fixed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

So loyalty missions are completely optional, which means that your companions aren't integral to the main story. Which means that ... why didn't they make the one part that fleshes out your companions an integral part of the game?
If you don't do them do they just stand at their spot in the spaceship staring quietly at a wall?
Why did they do that? Were people complaining about having to do EXTRA missions?
Aren't they completely optional in ME2 as well?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Loyalty or side character missions have been optional in pretty much every game.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Drifter posted:

So loyalty missions are completely optional, which means that your companions aren't integral to the main story. Which means that ... why didn't they make the one part that fleshes out your companions an integral part of the game?
If you don't do them do they just stand at their spot in the spaceship staring quietly at a wall?
Why did they do that? Were people complaining about having to do EXTRA missions?

Staring quietly at the wall is exactly Jacob's role in ME2.

Also would've been Kaidan's, if he wasn't a greasy smear on the surface of Virmire.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

They were always optional. That one guy that got all of his companions killed in ME2's ending could only do it because they were optional.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Boo if Andromeda does not have the equivalent of the probing Uranus joke. I keep laughing at it because it is so dumb and immature.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

9-Volt Assault posted:

Boo if Andromeda does not have the equivalent of the probing Uranus joke. I keep laughing at it because it is so dumb and immature.

that status of uranus is as yet unconfirmed

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Huh, I could have sworn they were part of the main story branch but I guess I only thought that because who in their right mind would ever not do additional story quests?

Cool. I guess in Inquisition they were also optional? I suppose I always thought it was just the sex that was optional, and the character building story stuff was requisite. :shrug:

I take back my previous concerns, thanks guys.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Huh, I could have sworn they were part of the main story branch but I guess I only thought that because who in their right mind would ever not do additional story quests?

Cool. I guess in Inquisition they were also optional? I suppose I always thought it was just the sex that was optional, and the character building story stuff was requisite. :shrug:

I take back my previous concerns, thanks guys.

They were optional in Inquisition, yes. Most were pretty good, and could have some serious consequences later. But you could beat the game without ever doing them.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't even remember Inquisition side-character quests, Varric's was about destroying X Red Lyrium veins and getting something. And Blackwall's was about finding X lost armor pieces.

Seriously lovely quests all around in DAI.

At least DA2 had the unreliable narrator quest for Varric's stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't even remember Inquisition side-character quests, Varric's was about destroying X Red Lyrium veins and getting something. And Blackwall's was about finding X lost armor pieces.

Seriously lovely quests all around in DAI.

At least DA2 had the unreliable narrator quest for Varric's stuff.

No, that's not true. Those were the optional-optional quests just to improve their opinion of your Inquisitor. Varric's companion mission was dealing with Bianca (his girlfriend, not his crossbow), while Blackwall's mission was him vanishing and getting into the Tom Rainier business. Iron Bull's mission was the choice between the Qun and the Chargers, Cassandra's mission was to investigate the Lord Seeker, Dorian's mission was dealing with his father, etc.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Blackwall's mission started off good as hell and then I can't remember how it ended, so like most of Dragon Age: Inquisiton is probably kind of boring and forgettable.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Not only are the loyalty missions always optional, you can choose not to pick up several companions in I think every DA and ME game? (Never played DA2, so no clue about that one actually)

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 28, 2016

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, you can skip companions and loyalty missions in DA2 as well. It's possible to miss recruiting Isabela, Fenris and I believe Sebastian. A couple of the companion missions are plot integral and can't be skipped though, like Varric's.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sebastian was DLC, so it's definitely possible to miss that dude.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh yeah, for sure, I just mean you can miss him even if he's installed if you just choose never to go hang out with him.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

remember when the bad guy said that his motives were beyond mere mortal comprehension, that was incredible and extremely interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wisHcuBzTCM

yee

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Oh yeah, for sure, I just mean you can miss him even if he's installed if you just choose never to go hang out with him.

Ah, that makes more sense.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
So are we expecting a third person over the should perspective Destiny but like, I can gently caress everything? I haven't played any of the ME games but I saw a couple of play videos and a bunch of memes so I am practically an expert.

Game looks super pretty and I am very excited to shoot-mans and crush alien "puss".

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
More like Gears of War than Destiny, but yeah. Gears of War with a more pleasant universe and a lot of interspecies sex.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mass Effect isn't anything like Destiny. It's an action shooter series with a focus on storyline and is entirely single player. Only Mass Effect 3 had a tacked on multiplayer mode that was co-op.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Mass Effect isn't anything like Destiny. It's an action shooter series with a focus on storyline and is entirely single player. Only Mass Effect 3 had a tacked on multiplayer mode that was co-op.

I mean from an ME: Andromeda expectation perspective of mechanical gameplay.

Andromeda is boasting Multi-player Co-op campaign stuff. I could give a poo poo about story most of the time, that is just something that happens while i am shootmansing. Icing on cake if the story a.) Exists and b.) Is good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The multiplayer was the best thing about ME3 and hell, possibly all of Mass Effect in a weird way, so I really hope they expand on that and don't gently caress it up. But I'm not terribly optimistic because nothing I've seen or read about Andromeda has given me any confidence in its ability to be good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Seemlar posted:

ME3 can do strange things to a man, like make them think Harbringer was good when he actually was a pretty lame fuckboy who spends his part of the game doing a second rate Sovereign impression or impotently poo poo-talking you. Or more accurately attempting to impotently poo poo-talk you since he was often cut off mid sentence as you blew his hosts brains out every time he graced you with his presence.

I find the idea of him being some glaring omission from ME3 pretty funny. Revealing his origins as being the avatar of a bunch of space blowhards was apt.

His taunting was teh only semblance of "going up against a villain" in ME2 because the collectors were a completely faceless boring bugpeople and the only interesting part of them was the fact that there was a voice behind it all: Harbinger. I dont even remember what happens to him in me3

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Would you put your brain into a Colossal SquidBot body?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zzulu posted:

His taunting was teh only semblance of "going up against a villain" in ME2 because the collectors were a completely faceless boring bugpeople and the only interesting part of them was the fact that there was a voice behind it all: Harbinger. I dont even remember what happens to him in me3

He is the Reaper who shoots you when you run toward the beam, but you'd be forgiven for not realizing it because it's like the second or third time they bring him up in the whole game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think there's any evidence of that, it's just that the Happy Ending Mod (lmao) decided to randomly add Harbinger voice clips in that bit because people were Mad About Harbinger and also dumb as poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

He is the Reaper who shoots you when you run toward the beam, but you'd be forgiven for not realizing it because it's like the second or third time they bring him up in the whole game

Also, Hackett only mentions that it's Harbinger if you imported from ME2. If you imported an ME3 character or started fresh in ME3, Hackett doesn't mention it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cythereal posted:

Also, Hackett only mentions that it's Harbinger if you imported from ME2. If you imported an ME3 character or started fresh in ME3, Hackett doesn't mention it.

EA Exec Voice: We gotta make the 3rd game in a series thats predicated on being the most interconnected video game series ever the perfect starting point for new players

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

As I have been saying, ME2 was Extremely Good but had some big issues

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

moist turtleneck posted:

Would you put your brain into a Colossal SquidBot body?

i'd put my man-brain in an alien iykwim

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lol at the best game in the series being completely skippable busywork.

me1 was okay, me3 multi was good but greedy with that slot machine poo poo.

that's about all they've done so far with mass effect that is in any way notable. sorry but me2 is just completely pointless.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cythereal posted:

When does he do that? I just finished it again after buying the DLC and I don't remember any mention of it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
What am I most excited for?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hamburger Test posted:

When does he do that? I just finished it again after buying the DLC and I don't remember any mention of it.

His radio call that Reapers are leaving the battle in space to head for London. If you imported from ME2, Hackett mentions that Harbinger is leading them.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cythereal posted:

His radio call that Reapers are leaving the battle in space to head for London. If you imported from ME2, Hackett mentions that Harbinger is leading them.

Oh, I thought it might have been closer to the actual event in question.

Also just want to note the worst thing of the entire trilogy. If you want to reload to see what happens in another ending your only choice is to go back to the save from when you are injured outside the beam. You have to do all the slow walking and listen to unskippable dialogue from IM, Anderson and Catalyst all over again.

The dream sequences are joy next to that.

Second worst is getting sync killed by banshees.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mr. Unlucky posted:

lol at the best game in the series being completely skippable busywork.

me1 was okay, me3 multi was good but greedy with that slot machine poo poo.

that's about all they've done so far with mass effect that is in any way notable. sorry but me2 is just completely pointless.

This, just this. I don't play video games to "goof off", mister!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

What am I most excited for?